Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games

Sami

41xM31QiwdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Nintendo Wii!

Go ahead and spew your casual bilge all you want, this thing is possibly the best thing I have ever earned. Sure its library could have been better, but it is impossible to say that it doesn't have a nice amount of modern classics, from Sonic Colors, Brawl, Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz (well at least for me), the Mario Galaxies, and more. Unleass you are truly stubborn enough to hate the console simply due to its graphical limitations, then you are really missing out on some of the best gaming around. :V

My favorite console would be the Gamecube. That console has many of my favorite games on it, and it's my favorite generation so far. It's a cool console, and my favorite part about it is its simplicity and its controller. It's a basic console, home menu, and play the game. The controller as well, has to be my favorite controller ever (probably why I like the 360 controller too) because it feels good in my hands and it doesn't feel, well...weird. So yeah, the Gamecube would be my favorite console due to its games, controller, and simplicity.

WHAT'S MY FAVORITE CONSOLE!?!?

Well, for me, it has to be:

sega-dreamcast-3ub-460.jpg

SEGA DREAMCAST

here you go Dissident. lolol

Even though it didn't last that long, this game had an extremely impressive line-up. Jet Grind Radio, Street Fighter III: Third Strike, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Skies of Arcadia, Soul Calibur, Project Justice, the beloved Sonic Adventure 1&2, and a whole crapton of awesome games found their homes in this marvel.

Not only did this system have awesome games, the hardware was amazing for its time. This beauty helped revolutionize consoles today, holding features such as Online Play, Voice Chat, and Downloadable Content before Xbox Live was born.

The VMU, the memory unit of the Dreamcast, was also pretty notable, as it even doubled as an add-on along with a memory unit. Featuring minigames or even easily accessible HUD options, the VMU was definitely more than just extra save spot. If you recall, there was a utility for it that could help bolster one's Chao collection in the Sonic Adventure games (The GCN versions utilized this feature as well, connecting with the GBA's Tiny Chao Garden in Sonic Advance).

The DC's graphics were amazing as well. Many games had amazing visuals, notably Soul Calibur, which received critical acclaimed for being way ahead of its time. Even today, the game still looks stunning. Fighting games received arcade-perfect ports, even beating out a lot of PS1, PS2, and Xbox versions.

Unfortunately, the system was discontinued in 2001, but the Dreamcast definitely raised the bar and left its imprint in video gaming history.

Edited by Alien/Renegade
  • Thumbs Up 1

Day 26 - Favorite Console

This would be my choice and I think it's my choice because if it wasn't for this console we wouldn't have a lot of the consoles/devices we do now... so you all need to thank this...

ps2.gif

88974_1213628603020_full.jpg

PS2?

Shes-a-witch-Monty-Python-Holy-Grail.jpg

WITCH!

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 3

Nintendo-Wii-White.jpg

The Nintendo Wii is my pick for favourite console. While a large amount of it's games are just third party shovelware games, there are still some diamonds in the rough of it's library, such as the Mario Galaxy games and Super Smash Bros. Brawl to name a couple of examples. I also don't have too much of a problem with the motion controls either, as with the better games on the system, they either don't interfere with the gameplay or work pretty well and really make playing some games feel more natural. One of the biggest pulls for this console to me though is the massive array of games that it can play. The backwards compatability with Gamecube games, (Being able to use the Gamecube controller with certain Wii games is a great thing that comes with this as well), and the Virtual Console giving you access to most of the notable NES, SNES and Nintendo 64 games basically means that you have every (home) Nintendo console combined into one, which makes replaying older games much more convinient, and as a big Nintendo fan, this is a massive plus to me.

Honourable mentions:

Nintendo DS: To put it briefly, this system has a really good library of games, and the Gameboy Advance backwards compability is nice as well.

PC: The large diversity of games available on PCs, the ability to make/obtain mods for games and being able to run games at higher definition than normal if your computer is good enough to handle it is really nice, and not having to worry about losing everything you've done with applications like Steam is a nice feature as well.

Playstation 2: Another console I really like for it's large library of good games.

• Thumbs Up 1

BlackGamecubeUnit.jpg

With a large library of great games that was released for the system the gamecube is really my favorite console. Games like melee, mario sunshine, and animal crossing took a huge chunk of my time during this era. I see the gamecube as nintendo's last console that actually had a strong lineup. I mean the wii is cool but the gamecube has way better games and especially with the x collection and the mega collection you got a chance to play all these classic games on this system. In a nutshell the gamecube was the shit.

sony-playstation2.jpg

A huge, fantastic library of games,, able to play and excellent longevity. While consoles like the Snes, PS1, and the Wii were made up parts of my gaming exposure, this console was the main one. I had it the longest and played it the longest, im still playing it to this day. Great console.

Naturally, my fondest moments in gaming come from my first console, the Nintendo 64. It's a nostalgia biased answer, but this is a nostalgia biased question; the fact that all of us are here, talking about what we love about gaming, means we all had a very first gaming console, and it was magical enough to keep us interested in this hobby- nay, lifestyle for at least a decade. No matter how many technological advancements are made in our lifetimes, no matter how great gaming gets, there will never be another moment of innocence, where you can say "Is that a machine that lets you CONTROL what's on the TV!?! What is this glorious, magical device?"

Runners up: Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance

Edited by SuperStingray

Day 26 - Favorite Gaming Console

GameCube-black.jpg

Nintendo Gamecube

As much as I adore the PC for what it is, with it's incredibly vast and pretty much endless supply of games, the support of online, and the incredible services of stuff like Steam, I might just have to go with the Gameube on this one.

Reason being because, well, it was my childhood.

I remember getting this thing and just freaking out, also receiving the games Tony Hawk: Pro Skater 4 and Sonic Adventure 2 at the same time. It only got better and better from there on out. This console brought me so much when I was young. All those hours, playing Super Smash Bros. Melee with my friends, going through Luigi's Mansion and having tons of fun, the memories of games like the beautiful Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker and Super Mario Sunshine just add to how incredible this console is and the games that they had for it. I absolutely loved every minute I spent playing this thing. It was awesome and there's a reason Nintendo put compatibility for it on the Wii. Because it's still awesome.

I've had a PS2 all my life since its release, so I'll say PS2.

I like it because I had games like Sly Cooper, Rachet and Clank, Jak, and I also had Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog, The controller was so simple and easy to use, and it was convientently set up. The multiplayer was cool too, and it lasted us long since I had a family with two brothers. I hate these recent topics, I can't really say muuuch.

Day 26 - Favorite console

Nintendo Wii - BLAH BLAH BLAH NOT HARDCORE BLAH BLAH SCREW YOU. The Wii has some of the best games I've ever played, it has a very nice menu system, fun little apps, and a backlog of tons of games from all of your favorite old consoles! At the risk of sounding like I'm not picking it for its own merits, having a console with NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, Gamecube, and original games in one spot is pretty awesome. Okay, the motion controls' novelty grew into annoyance after a while, and the online was pure crap, and it wasn't HD, but it made up for that in just being a console with a great amount of awesome games. Let's take a looksie:

-Super Mario Galaxy and Galaxy 2 - The best controls in any 3D platformer EVER. Galaxy 2 is probably my favorite Mario game, tied with World.

-Kirby's Epic Yarn - A surprisingly fun and charming romp for Kirby.

-Donkey Kong Country Returns - A tough as nails platformer that stands up right alongside its SNES predecessors. It was a great contrast next to the easy Kirby game, creating a wonderful sense of complimenting gameplay styles.

-Mario Kart Wii - A great racer with fun online that actually works well.

-Super Smash Bros. Brawl - The most fun multiplayer EVER. Plus a metric fuck-ton of collectables.

-Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - Motion controls were actually an improvement, plus it showed that the Metroid series can, in fact, have good voice acting and likeable side characters. Unlike a certain other...um.....M

-WarioWare: Smooth Moves - The most fun you'll ever have looking like a complete idiot in front of your pals.

-Boom Blox - A very fun and creative physics-based party game.

-New Super Mario Bros. Wii - An awesome 2D co-op platformer that almosts reaches the heights of SMB3 and SMW.

-Sonic Colors - The game that made us unpleasable Sonic fans rejoice at an increase in quality.

So yeah, it may not have the hardcore shooters or M-rated titles of its HD competitors. But really, is that such a bad thing? The Wii may lack on adult content, but the other consoles (mainly Xbox) often lack creativity, which I think is a worse crime. Fun comes first.

• Thumbs Up 1

There is no console that I really hate. I love them all for different reasons. But the console that I personally enjoyed the most would probably be-

250px-PS2-Slim-Console-Set.png

The PS2, because it had a ton of AWESOME games! Kingdom Hearts, Jak and Daxter, Final Fantasy X- need I go on? The graphic are great and the loading quick! I really enjoyed this system.

But I must say that I also really love the Wii! This console is amazing no matter what people may say about it! From Super Smash Brothers Brawl to Mario Galaxy, this console had several EPIC games!

Edit: Okay first go around I listed Sonic Adventure 2 Battle as a game on the PS2 (as Solkia helpfully pointed out). Why did I do this? I am currently asking myself that question? Sorry about that! Thanks Solkia for correcting me!

Edited by Zany Mallet Maniac

Day 26: Favorite console:

Probably the Nintendo 64. I just have so much nostalgic attachment to it. That thing pretty much was my childhood. <3 You got awesome stuff like Mario 64, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Blast Corps, Banjo Kazooie, and way more. Mario Kart 64 was the first 64 game I played, and the thought of a 3D game blew my mind. my Mom and I bought the console for that game, and we played the living crap out of it. ^^ It was really awesome,.. *nostalgia nostalgia nostalgia*

There is no console that I really hate. I love them all for different reasons. But the console that I personally enjoyed the most would probably be-

250px-PS2-Slim-Console-Set.png

The PS2, because it had a ton of AWESOME games! Kingdom Hearts, Jak and Daxter, Final Fantasy X, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle- need I go on? The graphic are great and the loading quick! I really enjoyed this system.

But I must say that I also really love the Wii! This console is amazing no matter what people may say about it! From Super Smash Brothers Brawl to Mario Galaxy, this console had several EPIC games!

say what?

CHECK OUT THE CONSOLES!

My favourite console is the Wii. I can play the entire Mario series, the entire Donkey Kong Country series including Donkey Kong Country Returns, most Sonic games, and just about any other notable non-Rare game from Nintendo's history. Even on the Wii itself there are great games like the aforementioned DKCR, Super Mario Galaxies, Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Sonic Colours, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and many more games...

If backwards compatibility doesn't count, though, I'll have to choose SNES.

Donkey Kong Countries, Yoshi's Island, the Mega Man X series, Mega Man 7, Mega Man & Bass, Chrono Trigger, the Final Fantasies, Super Mario RPG, Super Mario Kart, the Castlevanias, DoReMi Fantasy, Contra 3, Star Fox, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, and plenty of other games made this console amazing.

I WOOOOOULD say Gamecube, but...

The Wii is where it's at. Not only do you get full backwards compatiblity with Gamecube games, but you also get a new library of Triple-A titles, albeit surrounded by a sea of shovelware. There's also the Virtual Console service, which allows you to download NES, SNES, N64, Master System, Genesis, TurboGraphix-16 AND Neo Geo. I mean, come ON! Can you get a better library then that? It's insane! The Wii is also a small console, and can fit pretty much anywhere. It's Motion Controller is pretty awesome, too!

My favourite console is the Xbox 360. It has the largest library of games I've ever amassed on any console (I've got well over 50 different titles on my shelf, probably 60+ now), and I cannot count the hours I spent playing online with friends in High School in a multitude of different games (Halo 3 at the time being the most prominent). I have always enjoyed my experience with my 360, and I really enjoy the controller. Horrible D-pad be damned, the rest of it is just so comfortable I can forgive that aspect of it entirely. I hope that all future consoles I get would allow me to use it since I love the way it fits in my hands.

I enjoy the custom soundtrack feature, I've used it as a DVD player, I -love- the XBLA. I also enjoy achievements on occasion too when I've beaten the crap out of a game so many times and I need new ideas to play around with in game.

My runner up is my PS3 because I just emulate things on it.

But my other runner up is my DS because it let me play the Megaman Zero games AND the ZX series. PHAT DS 4 LIEF.

Day 26: Favorite Console

Gamecube

Shitty controller be damned, I have a lot of fond memories with this thing. Super Smash Bros. Melee, Dragon Ball Z Budokai 2, Pokemon Colosseum, Kirby Fucking Air Ride, Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker... the list goes on and on and on, and I had a shit ton of fun.

Day 26 - Favorite Gaming Console

sony-playstation2.jpg

Yeah, this is going to be a common pick. But you know, there's a reason for that. The PS2 not only led gaming into the 21st century with the ability to play DVDs (and playing a large part in broadening the format, in fact), larger games than we had ever seen before (what with game discs now being on DVDs, with much more space than the Dreamcast's CDs), and graphics far superior to anything we had ever seen before (compare ICO or Shadow of the Colossus to *any* of the Dreamcast's games), the PS2 was truly a revolution at the time of its release. Sure, it's been beaten out by later consoles of its very own generation, but the PS2 really was our first look at the future of video games.

But that's not why I'm choosing it. The PS2 is best known for its absolutely massive game library, and rightly so. The PS2 has a seemingly infinite number of good games I can think of right off of the top of my head; be they exclusive or not. The likes of Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, Kingdom Hearts I & II, Ultimate Spider Man, and plenty more served to make me the obsessive, addicted nerd I am today. I got my PS2 almost a decade ago in 2004, and it's still sitting right on top of my desk right now, ready to let me play any of my childhood classics.

My love for the PS2 is one I don't think I'll ever have for another console. And I don't mind that, really.

Edited by Dissident
  • Thumbs Up 1

Day 26: Favorite Console

ps2-photo.jpg

Frick yeah! Though the technology may be starting to show it's age...a lot...so many awesome games have made its way onto it that I can't help but say it's my favorite, and it's even been the start of some amazing series. I'm talking about games and series such as these. Oh, and these. And a crapload more, a lot of which I haven't even played for myself yet. That's not even counting all of the multiplatform games, AND it's backwards-compatible with the entire PS1 library, which basically gives you access to two generations of amazing games. I love this thing. =D

Edited by The T-Man

Day 26 Gamecube

The Gamecube did make up a large amount of my gaming library. I loved most of it's games, which is really all it did. True even though the PS2 was better then the GC in almost every way possible, I still love the GC for what it was, and what games it had to entertain me with. Though for some certain measure, I will say that I wish the GC had DVD playability, as it certainly would've helped out back then. And it seems that Nintendo will never learn to straighten up and get off their Horse's ass to conceive towards the demands of their consumers, especially since they haven't learned the simple operating system of a "DVD" after what, 11 years?

FAVORITE CONSOLE

SONY'S PLAYSTATION

I feel this was kind of obvious. I've mentioned that the Playstation was the first 3D console I ever owned, and how this shit was so cash because Ape Escape. It obviously holds a special place in my heart for being my first, but much like your first sexy times, it was sloppy and felt really rushed. Despite it's flaws, here's was fucking awesome about the Playstation.

So, let's start with the obvious. IT'S GOT 3 DIMENSIONS OR SOMETHING. This was a HUMONGOUS friggin' deal back in the day, at least for me. I remember wanting a Nintendo for Mario, or a Saturn/Dreamcast/whatever for Sonic, and a big bowl of vanilla ice cream. But instead, I got the humble Playstation, because Sony made everything else in my possession.

It's so gorgeous. It's so white and smooth, man. I could have unprotected sex with something like this. And those letters. PS. She's my sex-box, and her name is Sony.

The games. Obviously APE ESCAPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEE

but also some really great games like the Metal Gear series, Tomb Raider, and I think Klonoa. A really cool set of games was Disney Pixar's licensed games. I mean, THAT'S how you make a licensed game. A Bug's Life, Toy Story 2, Monster's Inc. They're fetch-quest platformers, which were numerous in the day, but still. I made it clear yesterday how much I love me some sticky platform-y goodness.

This post was short, but I just got back from "Chronicle." Yeah, I love the Playstation, yadda yadda. We'll be right back with another cancelled Comedy Central series.

Edited by A Match in Oil Ocean Zone
  • Thumbs Up 1

Day 26: Totally Fave Gaming Utensil

yo sup li'l bitches hear my name is SOCKS

an I ain't comin' to this place here for 'cubes an COCKS

I came here to tell you 'bout my GAMING CONSOLE

and there ain't any better than PAPER AND PENSOLE

word UP to my utensils

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now before you haters get allup in my grill, let me share with you, a story.

There once was this kid. For the sake of convienience, let's call him Bartholomew.

Bartholomew was totally boss with stick figure wars. By default, this made him the king of the school cafeteria ghetto.

Now, Bartholomew came from a relatively poor family, who couldn't really afford any fancy-shmancy gaming consoles, save a GBA,

Which he hated because that fucking Kids Next Door game sucked DIC

So, he decided to carry around a notebook and pencil, in case somebody decided to step up to the plate.

Many did.

Many failed.

Eventually, the PTA had caught onto these stick figurely shenanigans, and decided to ban it from lunch-time.

Bartholomew and his ragtag team of stick figure warriors wouldn't stand for this, and decided to found the Underground Association for Stick Figure Fighting.

Here, shit got intense. People would bring Milky Ways bars, only to lose it all in a wager. People even started drawing Dragon Ball Z charactFUCK I'M OUT OF TIME AND THAT'S WHY PP IS MY FAVORITE GAMING CONSOLE

THE END MUCHACHOS

• Thumbs Up 2

The Nintendo DS.

Nintendo%20DS%20plays%20TV-thumb.jpg

I had a Game Boy long before I had my first proper console, so I still have a strong attachment toward handhelds.

RPGs are my favourite video game genre.

I adore games with sprite-based graphics on hardware that can handle decent polygonal graphics.

The DS is/has all of these things plus a touchscreen, which I guess is pretty cool.

The Wii. No, not because of the hardware (Obviously), but DEM GAEMS. The Wii, in my opinion, is second to none as far as how many quality games you can play on the system, including most of the games people call the best game of all time like OoT and SM64. Not to mention the VC, which has a ton of classics on it, including really obscure-yet-awesome games. WiiWare also has some pretty good games on it too like Pokemon Rumble, MotoHeroz, and World of Goo.