Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games

Sami

The worst thing of all was the fact it was hyped up for much for being a Sonic RPG and "Oh it's BIOWARE". Then, we get some new handheld division which seemed to be absolute shit, and the gameplay turned out to be aggressively average while everything else was plain bad. What's the point of hyping Bioware up if it isn't even the main team behind it (haven't played another Bioware game mind you).

Well everyone is going to be hating me on my choice. Time to start World War 3 then.

For Day 3, Your Least Favorite Video Game, I'll choose:

SonicColorsBoxArt.png

Now before you start hating on me give me a chance to explain myself. Its quite a story.

I'll admit I was excited for Sonic Colors when we first heard about it. I hoped it was a good Sonic game for once but when it came around it got mostly postive reviews but I honestly think otherwise.

Sonic Colors is a fast paced platforner with a gimmick but I'll talk about how I feel about the 3d sections, the 2.5 sections, and the wisps in seprate paragraphs. But first the 3d sections.

The 3D sections really bring out the speed of Sonic out. But my biggest gripe about it is that there's hardly any 3D sections and not much to do other than running forward. Sure there are times where you have to take advange of the quick step and the drift but those are just seperate sections to the point that you might as well play Simon Says. There is those short moments of Sweet Mountain where Sonic needs to duck around missles and what not but its short lived and nothing else like that ever happens.

Now 2.5D is my biggest gripe about this game. Most of the game is in 2.5D and about 97% of the platforming happens during these sections. While its nice to see Sonic going back to regular platforming however I feel like this isn't the way to go at it. Not only it seems to be a lazy way of trying to fix the problem its pretty much unneeded. Sonic is quite capable of platforming in full 3D but Sega can't seem to figure it out so they decided to go ahead and do this. I also feel like this is just plain pandering to the classic fanbase which makes me go "Why try to please a fanbase that will always be broken?"

Now for the wisps. While these aliens are cute in their weird alien way I feel like the gimmick is very unnecessary. It does slow down the game and the game will force you to use the wisps to continue the game. Sonic has proven he doesn't really need these guys so why make a gimmick when he could do everything needed to move on?

Other stuff that bugs me is that Colors recycles all its bosses but Nega Wips Armor, they just have a different strategy, it makes me wonder if they are trying or not. Another thing is that they pretty much gave Sonic near game breaking powers in the form of double jumps and infinite water jump, which the latter breaks Sonic's character. And finally Spikes has terrible controls.

However I will mention some of the stuff I did like, namely the music and Eggman's characterization. I was really hoping Eggman would win since he stole the show. But that's it.

Sorry for the long ass essay, I needed to justify myself. I hope you all can respect my opinion because I'll respect yours. All I want is for Sega to not try not to fix a broken base and dabbling in the past so they can make a good Sonic game that breaks all expectations. And that's how I feel. Now you can continue on with the posting.

Everyone is going to hate me now... ;___;

Edited by Crow the BOOLET
  • Thumbs Up 4

Day 3: Your Least Favorite Game

Hmm, that's a tough decision, since I don't really hate too many games. However, there was one game I hated a fair bit.

5eyevhyx3022385518-Call_20of_20Duty_203_20Nintendo_20Wii_jpg_jpg.jpg

Now, I have nothing against the CoD series, or even FPSes in general. However, this game in general was crap. Where to begin:

I'd say the core of the problem was the gameplay. While it wasn't that bad, being on Wii made it a lot worse. I remember how sore my arms were trying to aim the gun, and don't even get my started on trying to steer that freaking tank. If that were the only problem it wouldn't be entirely bad, but there are other flaws. For one, the campaign is incredible short. On top of that, the campaign is all there is to do. Between no real incentive to go back and replay the levels, and a lack of anything to do other than the campaign, it's really only worth playing through once. And given the controls as well as the mediocre quality of the missions, it's not even really worth it to play through once. At most, I would suggest maybe playing this game as a friend's house, that way you won't have to spend any money and can laugh at their frustrations.

Day 3: Least Favourite.

Can't decide between these

Terminator Salvation:

terminator-salvation-the-videogame-ps3-boxart.jpg

One series of games I like to collect would be the Terminator Games, having a collection which includes some of the original Bethesda titles that which come on nearly 9 floppy disks (terminator 2029) when this was announced it was a game that I did want since technically the series is a favourite of mine to collect...

Now the last terminator game to get released prior to this one was Terminator: The Redemption which was a really really good game, very fun and had a lot of cool ideas in it. Far superior to T3: the Game and T3: War of the machines. So when a new Terminator game was announced and the devs say in several interviews "you know what the difference is between other Terminator games and ours? Theirs are shit!" So when a dev says that your mind casts back to Redemption, T2-The Arcade Game and all the early Bethesda Terminator games, you think... hmmm maybe I should hear them out, then you see some previews saying how the first level of the game was pretty good for a movie tie in and you think, they this could be good!

Then you have the game and after the first stage you throw your arms out and yell

"OH CALAMITY! OH! HOW!? HOW!? HOW!? MR D. YOU FOOL!"

Before Terminator Salvation came out alarm bells started to ring when the trophy list for the PS3 version was released and it ended up having only 12 trophies, every one of them gold except for the platinum and everyone of them being effectively 'complete the game on hard difficulty = platinum' the panic sets in.

The irony here, is that the game puts you into a false sense of security, the first stage is genually quite good, well for a movie license, it doesn't do a bad job at all, lots of action and even a driving section.

Then you hit level 2 and you discover how this abomination should have remained in the laboratory for at least another 12 months. Here are some unique features about this game.

If you are standing at one side of the room, a terminator is at the other, there is a wall between you... the terminator will kill you... with a melle attack!? The terminators in this game have the power of stretch armstrong!

Terminator3.jpg

You see that endo in the middle? If it decides to do a melle attack, it will instantly kill you from that range!

Everything is impossible to kill, unless you shoot at it from the back.

The shotgun has the range of a sniper rifle.

In terms of how notoriously bad is... I'd say the voice acting in this game comes close if not at times... being worse than that of Shenmue and even house of the dead 2!

Theres one character who you meet in stage 3, she follows you for the whole game only to die... her contribution? She yells "Why won't it stop!" Every 2 seconds! It's so annoying that you just know whats coming everytime you get into a battle... you shoot and endo and then... "WHY WON'T IT STOP!"

Fortunately this character dies very close to the end so you are freed from the WHY WON'T IT STOP, but don't let that fool you... the man impersonating Christian Bale is just as bad... which is odd since he did an Amazing job as the British soldier in Resistance Fall of Man.

It's just a merciless torrent of abuse, one stage you have to destroy advancing endos using pipe bombs... the catch, you have to wait for some dude to make them... the problem... sometimes your character won't pick them up! The game is so full of bugs it's like every other studio decided to put bugs from their game into this one.

The PC version of this game was so badly buggy that they had to recall every copy of the game and issue refunds.

Here is a glorious example of the voice acting, the annimation and the shotgun which acts as a sniper rifle.

Now the games length... the game was notorious in it's time for being the fastest platinum possible... 4 hours to get... but whats more funny are the ingame checkpoints... one stage has a cut scene... then you walk 12 steps... theres another cut scene... then the level ends!? What the hell!? Those 12 steps must have beem crucial to the game!

Amazingly, the people who made this game still have it on the main page of their website! I guess they think it's still better than all the others before it, it's not it's the worst.

The next one... well... it's not really a series exactly...

Bethesda Software, anything released after 2008

Somehow... I keep buying these, I keep getting these games on day 1. Bethesda are a really strange company these days... they make huge complicated games that raise the bar in some way... win awards... sell millions... and everybody raves about them... I have just... one complaint...

Why are all the games amazingly buggy to the point that they're unplayable!?

Fallout 3, New Vegas (and all the DLC), Skyrim every major game they release has parts of it which are near unplayable or major flaws. New Vegas has the famous bug which won't let you into the strip sometimes unless you wear a cowboy hat!

But the one which I remember fondly... was Fallout 3...

Fallout 3 is a game that I really really like, yet really really hate at exactly the same time, at times it feels like a dream, before crashing or the key item you need falls through the floor and your game is totally broken...

Case in point... I had this one quest where I had to fix robots to defend the town... The whole quest so far had been great, I got so involved in the story, so off I go to the junkyard to fix the robots AND... the robots were not in the junkyard... a bug, they forgot to add this part of that storyline... So I left the town... suddenly... a Protection robot falls out of the sky.

Since then I kept a camera by my console in case I ever see anything odd... It didn't take too long.

In Fallout 3 there is a giant aircraft carrier, you can go out on the top deck... so I did... and I found this...

Fallout3madcow.jpg

Fallout3madcow3.jpg

Fallout3madcow2.jpg

.... Why does Bethesda keep winning awards?

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 4

Day 3:

hunted-the-demons-forge-walkthrough-box-artwork-small.jpg

Never before have I played a game so disappointingly shit. Almost everything in this game bores me.

(Most of the points I have made in this post are part of a review I did for a different forum, which I am no longer a part of. You can view the review I did here if you like: http://www.gamesforum.com/game-reviews/46211-hunted-demons-forge-xbox-360-ps3-pc.html)

Firstly, Hunted suffers from having the most boring story I’ve ever come across in a game. The story is just so weak, with barely any exciting climaxes, or interesting storytelling. I suppose the story wouldn't have been so dull if the characters themselves weren’t so bland. Caddoc and E’Lara make the worst duo. Both of them have the personalities of dead slugs, in which they’re just lifeless and what would gel them together has dried up. There’s also this ongoing joke of how E’Lara keeps calling Caddoc old due to how unfit he is compared to her, despite E’lara being twice his age. This is nitpicking but I must point out that if you are going to have an ongoing joke in a game, it has to be funny. This joke is almost as overdone as Chuck Norris jokes and gets old just as quickly as them.

The gameplay is nothing to go home and write about. E'lara shoots arrows and Caddoc uses a melee weapons and a shield. It's just your standard fantasy beat em up style with barely anything interesting to note. There’s no denying this type of gameplay’s been done before and been done a lot better.

There is a emphasis on co-operative puzzling too, not brilliant nor note-worthy. Caddoc and E’Lara can do specific jobs to solve puzzles. Caddoc can move strong and heavy objects while E’Lara can shoot up high or long ranged switches and braziers. However the CPU co-op partner can “accidentally” miss most targets and the greatest puzzle in the game is the one to figure out how long you can tolerate this bullshit. Do not dare play this game on your own. The CPU partner, as E’Lara anyway, is so unreliable. Completely missing switches is one thing, but failing to revive you after you’ve been knocked down because the CPU clipped onto a wall is another

The environments in this game just reflect the game itself. Mainly it’s incredibly dull and about as interesting as a dead goat painted brown. Admittedly some environments have charm, very little charm, but it still doesn’t cover how bland most of the locations are. Also, the soundtrack is almost unnoticeable. Even if you can hear music playing, it’s common and bland and mainly, it’s forgettable. Like I’ve said so many times in this review, it’s not interesting.

Overall, this game is not worth your time.There’s just nothing exciting going on in this game. Nothing to make this game stand out, Nothing to break the mold of Fantasy games. The game’s impact is like a Seashell falling into a tub of Silly Putty, it’s just enough to formulate a single sigh of disappointment of how surprisingly boring it is. Put it this way. Sonic 2006 may have been a bad game, but was it ever boring? It was frustrating, yes but other than the hub world and some of the hub missions, there was some exciting things happening. Hunted fails to deliver any form of fun and is presented poorly.

Least favorite game, eh?

Well..

Spiderman Web of Shadows (DS version)

51e4F1pvaIL.jpg

Now this may sound like an excuse..But it its not! (I promise.. trollface.jpg)

When I first played it..I was addicted, to me it wasn't half bad at all! But then it eventually got a bit repetitive..

All these enemies..Running back and forth when some wise ass enemy gets in the way (I recall somewhere in the middle, the enemies get tougher and more annoying)

Eventually I got up to the final boss..Which I stopped bothering to beat after too many attempts (Suddenly I feel like getting back to the game to finish). But it does not make the game bad for me, just didn't find the game that special after some time, though the switching between the symbiotes and normal form was pretty cool to be honest.

Edited by Alex2beta

I'm not really critical when it comes to games, but this one was a rare exception:

Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Genesis.jpg

Sonic The Hedgehog Genesis added an even more sour taste in most people's mouths after Sonic Next Gen was released. Although it took a while before I realized Next Gen was terrible, I felt "Genesis," on the other hand, was rubbish from the beginning. Sure, it's a "remake" (in the loosest sense of the word) of the original Sonic 1, but while Next Gen nearly killed the series, this game nearly killed a classic (Thank god for "Sonic Classic Collection").

There are many things I could complain about the game from the glitches to the shrunken screen, but the slow down is what really got me. In a game about running as fast as possible, the last thing one should think about is slowing the game down to a crawl, making Sonic seem like a normal hedgehog in comparison.

Oddly enough, I thought the music wasn't that bad (one of the VERY few redeeming points of the game, in my opinion). While it's not as good as it was on the Genesis, it could have been MUCH worse. Some of the sound effects on the other hand (notably the one for bashing enemies and breaking walls)...... not so much.

Edited by SonHOG
  • Thumbs Up 2

thumb-20110113-2688_0000.png

First off I would likes to say that I absolutely loved the first mario galaxy game. The levels were different the controls were superb and even the opening felt epic as hell to me. Can't say the same for the sequel though I completely got bored with this game halfway through playing it. For one they took what little but nice little story from the first game and completely ditched it for galaxy 2. Now I know it's a mario game but what I liked the little backstory they had for rosalina I just wished they would've done something like that in a similar fashion for the sequel but that's more of a gripe than an actual complaint but I digress. The real reason why I'm not so fond of this game was because It didn't really wow me like galaxy 1 did. I know its a sequel you knew what you were getting yourself into but I really felt disappointed and bored by the end of the game. The levels just don't feel nearly as fun and inventive as galaxy 1 and just throwing yoshi in for a couple of levels really don't help. Even though yoshi is only in a few levels and that's which really bothers me. Some of the power-ups I felt like I could do with out like that damn spring mario or rock mario. Its not that I hated this game but it feels like leftovers. If it was even possible for the wii I would have rather had this as a DLC than a full retail game.

• Thumbs Up 3

af7qbt.png

You were expecting maybe Sonic 06? Nope, nope, nope.

No game in the close to 21 years that I've been playing video games has garnered so much ire from me during a single playthrough outside of Sonic Heroes. Conceptually, the game is absolutely fantastic. What better way to showcase the differences between characters like Sonic, Tails and Knuckles (without throwing them into awkward gameplay types that go against what the series was popularized with) than to put them on a team and have them work as a singular unit?

Even ignoring the gameplay aspect, it was just awesome having the big three team up to combat ol' Egghead from start to finish. I was extremely excited for this game and coming off the success of Sonic Adventure 2 I had no reason to think the game wouldn't be anything short of great. At that age I had begged and pleaded to get the game as close to the initial release as possible. My grandmother (bless her heart) eventually gave in and bought it for me. For that, I apologize, grandma. I had no idea you'd be wasting money buying this game for me. I know you only did it to make me happy.

This game sucks. I simply do not understand how Sonic Team could fail so badly at executing such a great concept. Visually it was horrible, the character models having such a ridiculously shiny and plastic-like feel to them. The soundtrack, while enjoyable for the most part, was generally forgettable in comparison to basically ever other game that had proceeded it. The gameplay? The gameplay is terrible, horrible and awful and the level design isn't any better.

The "three" characters you are forced to control at any one time barely amount to half of a real functioning character in any other Sonic game. They slip, slide and careen off edges of platforms with such looseness it baffles the mind. The leveling system is cut and dry and has no real substance, much like the actual attacks each specific team formation has. All leveling up really does is add a bit of extra damage and more poorly rendered effects to the attacks so that there's some sort of aesthetic difference between them.

The different team formations are supposed to each have a unique feel but end up all playing exactly the same. Speed formation? Run around and mash buttons. Flight formation? Fly around and mash buttons. Power formation? Run around and mash buttons until everything is dead. It's amazing, considering how monotonous and braindead effectly using each team formation is that the developers would have the nerve to record hundreds of lines of dialogue explaining what to do at each and every single turn leaving nothing for the player to figure out on their own.

Granted, given how the levels are layed out and the big fat 'HEY USE THIS FORMATION HERE' signs I don't see how you would have been given the chance to figure out things yourself even without all the unnecessary dialogue. Did I mention that there are countless gates scattered around levels where your team formation is explicitly forced to the correct formation after running through them? Great play, Sonic Team. Great play there.

Did I also mention that they expect you to play through this game three times with little to no differences whatsoever for the sake of getting the final story? Did I also mention after you do that you're forced to play through the game another time through the exact same levels only instead of going from point A to point B you need to do stupid, annoying monotonous tasks like lighting torches that suck out any fun that you could have possibly had any of the other three times?

Did I also mention that in addition to completing the same shitty game four times in a row you also have to play through seven terribly programmed Special Stages to get the final story? Did I mention the final story and boss isn't even worth getting or playing?

Fuck. This. Game.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 9

My Least Favorite Game

51TBT34YB4L.jpg

Yeah yeah yeah, you all saw this coming. Whatever you might say or think about this, it's the truth in my case. Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 really is my least favorite game or, if anything, one of my least favorite. To be perfectly honest, I couldn't think of any other game I absolutely didn't enjoy at all in the least and was only a huge let down to me. As for game series, I'm not too picky about those either. I played this game for the first time last year..despite all the negative reviews, I remember trying it out at some Gamestop or something once and liking it, so I figured maybe I would be part of that crowd of people who enjoyed it. I wasn't. There honestly isn't much left for me to say about this game that I'm sure most of you don't already know. The plot was awful, shallow, and missing so many details..in fact, I don't even know why I mention the plot. It turns out to have never happened in the end anyway. So, the ending was crap. The controls..awful. The physics, the sounds, the animations, the script, everything is all horrible in this game. I just constantly found myself getting frustrated because I fell through a floor rather than because of something that was my own fault.

This game was one that I had to utterly force myself to play through, just for the fact of knowing I was able to finish playing it. I just wanted it to end and boy, am I glad that it did. I've never picked up a controller to play this monstrosity ever again. I mean no offense to those of you who liked this game, you have your own opinions and that's perfectly fine..but I was ashamed at the fact that the blue blur, my favorite video game character since I was a child, ended up starring in something like this.

• Thumbs Up 1

My least favourite game? Gee...I don't know...

Hmm, I'll try to be creative and pick a game that doesn't star Sonic. tongue.png

My Least Favourite Video Game

shadowthehedgehogz.jpg

Shadow The Hedgehog

See what I did there?

I'm aware that this game appeared on someones favourite game list, so I'll not bash it too hard. In fact, I'll also share aspects of the game I like.

Negative:

As a passionate hater of 4Kids and anything they ruin, once I learned those turds where now supplying the voices, that made me instantly hate the game. Even though it wasn't out yet.

The whole alien story wasn't very interesting and it wasn't worth the wait after Shadows first appearance and all the mystery surrounding him. Although not directly related to the game itself, people seem to think that on some of the endings, Shadow kills Eggman. That also annoyed me, all he did was hit him. If a single hit makes people think he's been killed, then they must be very fragile people. Don't get into a fight, they'll be instantly killed! 0_o

Music will actually be in the positive section, but there is one song I loved from a previous title that was brough back and ruined. That being E.G.G.M.A.N song, it had a remix in this game and I hated it!!

The gun addition seemed kinda pointless. And although the game was supposed to give a much darker feeling, I just didn't like the constant grubby and grey levels.

In every platform/adventure/action game, I often have at least on favourite boss battle. But on this game I just didn't like any of them. The Eggman battles seemed weak, and the Sonic battle was kinda pointless with that commander jerk in his what-ever-it-was-called machine. Fighting Black Doom & the big GUN machine was mildly entertaining, but no match for previous bosses from the Sonic series in comparison.

Charmy & that stupid annoying Vector line!!

Positive:

I liked the idea of something you do on a level effecting where the next level will be. It seemed like a fresh idea and I wouldn't mind a return of it, if it was ever possible.

(Most of) The music. The music also made the game seem more like a follow on to Sonic Adventure 2, rather then a follow on to Sonic Heroes.

Digital Circuit & Mad Matrix where a nice change of pace in level appearance. It also seemed like that as a Sonic level, this type of tron like effect was never done before. Making them stand out to me.

Wow, I though I might've had more positives then this...sorry... ^^;

Edited by ファント
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mmx6box.JPG

This is one of the few games that got me legitimately angry while playing it. So many things about this game just annoy me to no end. First off, this game is brutally hard, and before people say "It's a Mega Man game, of course it's hard", if you're seriously saying this in regards to this game in comparison to other Mega Man games, I'm not sure that we'd be on about the same game. Now, it's not because it's hard that it's bad, I'm perfectly fine with a challenge, it's just that none of this game's challenge is fair. You know those death spikes that Mega Man is famous for? Those are near enough everywhere in this game, and the sad thing is I'm not even exaggerating, and wherever there aren't spikes, there are plenty of other one hit kill obstacles like bottomless pits and instant kill lava. Some of the level gimmicks are ridiculous as well. Like one level where you have to fight 5 bosses in a row before getting to the boss at the end of the level, at least 2 of them where you have very little space to move and have to worry about instant kill lava, one of them even being on a timer before the instant death lava is inescapable, or another level, where you have a robot who you can't kill constantly shooting at you from the background while you have to do precision platforming. Sounds like a load of fun, right? I didn't think so. What annoys me even more is how all of the levels become significantly easier with Zero, due to everything taking far less hits with him than X, which comes into play much more in this game than the previous X games. Also, I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly or not, but I'm pretty sure that in one of the fortress levels, you are required to have a power up that you aren't even guaranteed to get, and anyone who knows the first thing about games should know that that is just poor game design.

It isn't just gameplay elements that bother me though, the game just feels lazy and rushed out on the whole. I actually read somewhere that the development time for this game was under a year. The opening song and voice acting are entirely Japanese for a start. I know that was the case with X5, but it's even more glaring here since the cutscenes also have voice acting in this, rather than just in the gameplay where the most voice acting is a few grunts. There are also even a couple of re-used, albeit optional, bosses from Mega Man X5 in this game. Another problem I have is that it also ruins the feel that the previous game had. Mega Man X5 felt like a great finale for the series, and lead on perfectly into the Mega Man Zero series, however the fact that this game exists, and doesn't leave Zero dead, messes up both the feel of X5 being a finale to the series and the plot transition of the X series to the Zero series. Other than the insane difficulty and poor design choices, the game also doesn't feel memorable. None of the locations are memorable, the soundtrack is bland, none of the bosses look cool or have interesting battles, the power ups aren't that much fun to use other than a select few, it just strikes me as a really forgettable game other than all of it's glaring flaws.

Edited by Serperior
  • Thumbs Up 1

Day 3: Your Least Favorite Video Game or Video Game Series

250px-Shadow_the_Hedgehog_Box_Art.jpg

This is not a failed experiment. Sonic and the Secret Rings was a failed experiment. Sonic 3D Blast was a failed experiment. This is not even a mistake. The Werehog was a mistake. Big the Cat was a mistake. This game goes so far beyond the realms of terrible even on a conceptual level that it's laughable. The only thing I can truly say I legitimately like about it is its soundtrack. Everything else is utter garbage. The mission structure goes completely against the main principle of the franchise - that is, speedy platforming - constantly forcing you to make stops to kill an enemy, collect an item, or what have you. There is no room for error in doing this as the amount of objects or enemies in a given level rarely exceeds the amount that you need to collect or kill. There are missions that merely require you to get to the end of the level, yes, but they're a whole other form of terrible. For the record, if you've ever wondered what a literal representation of Straight Line Zone would be, all you have to do is take a look at Shadow the Hedgehog's levels. They're so utterly bland and completely devoid of interesting platforming that it is, again, laughable. This is not even going into how unpolished the gameplay is. The guns' auto-aim only works half the time, making them virtually useless. Homing attacks and light dashes constantly backfire, causing you to fall to your death. The controls feel like skating on ice simultaneously covered in oil and butter. Sometimes enemies you need to kill for a certain mission simply won't spawn, which feels like a slap in the face when you've already done a lot of work toward completing a mission.

Oh! Lest we forget the storyline! This is one of the few times that story would have been somewhat important to a Sonic game, given the whole good and evil thing, and well, just like everything else, the story was laughable with its incredible amount of plotholes and unfathomably formulaic endings ("Finally! I've got all the Chaos Emeralds!" "I am Shadow the Hedgehog!" *has an epiphany* "THIS IS WHO I AM!"), but I suppose that what bothers me most about the storyline - and, well, the game in general - is how seriously it wants me to take it. Shadow the Hedgehog is a game about a three-foot-tall hedgehog, yet at the same time tries to go for a very dark tone and shoves how dark it is down your throat so constantly and so thoroughly that at times it feels like it's making fun of itself. Shadow's insanely liberal use of the word "DAMN!", the ridiculously over-the-top menus and cutscenes, the guns, and all of this in spite of the cartoonish characters and generally lighthearted tone of the franchise. This, above all else, is why it feels like an insult to me as a Sonic fan and a former fan of Shadow as a character. I've played plenty of games that are, objectively, far worse, but I doubt I've ever played I game I've hated more than Shadow the Hedgehog

Edited by The T-Man
  • Thumbs Up 5

I find it hard to pick a playable game that I disliked. So... I'm going to pick a game that is a game only in a relative sense. Yes, it's Crazy Bus for the Genesis!

Discordant Music (notes run through a random generator forever), no english version and no gameplay to speak of (driving a bus from one side of the screen to another) the only way this could be worse is if you were forced to play it for hours on end. And I heard a rumour that Jack Baur's going to do that in the new series of 24. (But don't quote me on that.)

I was thinking of picking Sonic CD, but that's only really guilty of being the most recent frustrating game I've played, so I'll wait to see if that's one of the categories first.

So in day three, we've had Sonic Heroes, Shadow, Sonic 06 and Sonic Colours. Time for me to round things off

SONIC UNLEASHED

Sonic_unleashed_boxart.jpg

This was the first Sonic game in the main series that I didn't have fun in. It wasn't entertaining me when I first got it for Christmas in 2008. I played it once, and had it played it for a year or so again.

When I finally got into it, it wasn't quick, especially the Werehog sections. Endless fighting little mooks and gigantic ones. I'm still scarred from Empire City Night, the tiny narrow collapsibe girders, the giant hammer weilding enemies I can't remember the names of.

Most importantly, its not a case of going from one level to another. You have to collect certain number of medals before you can enter. In a game where you're supposed to go fast, crawling around every nook and cranny looking for medals is not on. I want straightforward linearity.

I know I suck at games in general, but I've gotten pretty far if not beaten all the previous main games. This one is a hardship. I got my first experience of fighting Egg Dragoon not in Sonic Unleashed but in Sonic Generations, and considering how piss-easy the other bosses of Generations was, and how bloody annoying Egg Dragoon was, it doesn't fill me with glee.

Oh dear. This will be a challenge. Well, since Hunted was already mentioned, I'll pick:

Disgaea-Infinite.jpg

Disgaea Infinite

Now, this game isn't too bad. It's great if you are into visual novel-type games (yes, it's not a SPRG like other Disgaea titles) of which I am not. If I want a novel, I'll go an grab one off my bookshelf.

Instead of playing as one of the other well-known character of the series, you are playing a Prinny. A Prinny who must travel through time to find out who assassinated Laharl (who isn't actually dead but ... claimed he was assassinated... Wtf?) and stop it before it happens. Now, I'm used to the story of Disgaea games making little actual sense but this to me was the icing on the cake, and not in a good way. Plus, the story is really short, taking no more than two to three hours to complete. As you have to experience many scenes over and over again, it can get quite repetitive rather quickly.

While some Disgaea fans will like the fact that you get to see some of your favourite characters from the Hour of Darkness with a few cameos from other games, in my mind it still wasn't enough to keep me interested.

(Least Favorite Game) Mario Party 8:

Mario_Party_8.jpg

There are two reasons as to why I didn't like this game. One, I really, really, didn't like the 'carnival' gimmick that this game had going on. I liked MP5's 'dream' gimmick, MP6's 'day/night' gimmick, and MP7's 'cruise' gimmick, but for some reason the carnival gimmick felt somewhat boring to me. Two, the reason why I dislike this game so much, is the mini games. The ones I had the chance of playing felt really boring, and lacking compared to the previous MP mini games for me, mini games are the main appeal of MP games to me, so that was kind of a bummer.

Day 3

Pokemon_Ruby_NA.jpg

Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald.

There is nothing wrong with the games, they are good Pokemon games and I enjoyed them a bit. Just not as much as other pokemon games or games in general. Something about them was a little disappointing, I put very little effort into the game, I still did as much as I could but it felt more like a chore, it bored me.

Not regular bored but so bored I lost all interest in the Pokemon, it was until 2011 when I picked a Pokemon game once again.

Maybe it was mostly me but I feel this games played at least some role in this.

Edited by Ryder

Not regular bored but so bored I lost all interest in the Pokemon, it was until 2011 when I picked a Pokemon game once again.

Maybe it was mostly me but I feel this games played at least some role in this.

I think you'll find that R/S/E had that effect on a lot of people. How much of it is purely the fault of the games is debateable, but it cannot be entirely up to coincidence.
  • Thumbs Up 5

Day 3 - WHATS YO HATED VIDYA

Oh, boy. Sturgeon's Law really does apply here.

And now... for some of the worst video games of all time, I bring you--

sonic-colors-ds-boxart.jpg

Guess everyone saw this coming. Sonic Colors DS was a travesty compared to the Wii game that was released along side it, and this plus Generations 3DS was sure to turn me off from handheld Sonic games.

Asteroid Coaster by far had some of the worst level design created to the point where bottomless pits were used to utilize the so-called full capacity of the Violet Void, and I felt raped every time I attempted to beat it (which I did, but came out frustrated in the end). The soundtrack had raped my ear drums everytime it had attempted to recreate the Wii version's soundtrack with probably the wrong DS soundfont, whereas the graphics and appearances from all other characters have briefly compensated for my undying hatred.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 3 - Worst Videogame

256px-Animal-crossing-wild-world-20060323091032903.jpg

Animal Crossing.

I don't know what to say about this. I got it because a few friends of mine got it. It was okay at first, but then, I didn't really do anything later on. It was fine to play with my friends, but by myself, I couldn't do anything. Sure, I upgraded my houses, and the stores, but that's all the incentive you have in this game. Once you have your house at max and the store upgraded to the max, you have nothing else to do but maintain your city. Why would I want to do that though? It was a pain to pluck weeds, and worst of all, resetti.

Agh, i give it props for giving my friends and I something to play for a while, but that's all it's good for.

Edited by Victory Defender

Super_Monkey_Ball_Adventure-s0.jpg

Super Shitty Monkey Ball Adventure

Fuck this fucking game, it is without of doubt the worst game I ever purchased, absolutely horrible.

The hub world is where 70-80% of the game takes place and it is HORRIBLE. The framerate is balls, the graphics are cheap and shitty, the controls are mind -blowingly broken, and the hub designs themselves are disgusting.

They made the incredibly fucking stupid move of keeping the monkeys IN their balls when traversing this very UN Monkey Ball-like areas, so as you can imagine, it's a bitch to move around and well.....do anything really. Around 30% of the game has you actually doing what the monkeys were MEANT to do in the first place, have them roll around on on giant obstacle courses, and reaching the goal in time. Why the fuck can't the whole game be this? Why do I have to go through some pointless awful hubworlds that take up most of my time and have no reason to exist? Fucking fuck this fucking game.

I think you'll find that R/S/E had that effect on a lot of people. How much of it is purely the fault of the games is debateable, but it cannot be entirely up to coincidence.

Mega Man Battle Chip Challenge.

Mmbcc.jpg

This game is just fucking ridiculous. I have never been so stumped and bored in my life.

It's basically a collection of boss battles with reused sprites from the already sort of shitty Mega Man Battle Network games. Unfortunately, it didn't take the ONLY GOOD THING from those games, which was the battle system.

You're given battle chips that your character will automatically use, but you can't decide which ones you pick and when, just which ones it pulls them from. It's completely fucking random and there is almost no strategy. How well you do depends on what chips you have, and you can't even skillfully play against the tougher opponents if you have a lousy deck because you can't dodge like in the other Mega Man RPGs. The only way to improve is to get better chips from a shop, or find them randomly after battles- which you need to be grinding anyway for money.

Also it might just be me but the creators of this shit series are xenophobic. Like, I remember in Battle Network 2 or 3, your character goes to a foreign land (Amerope in the Japanese version) and is kidnapped by two black dudes immediately. In Battle Chip challenge, you meet a girl who in the original version was part French, and the characters remark that she was QUIET FOR A FOREIGNER. Real nice, assholes. I don't normally complain about shit like this, but it's really the only thing I can tell you about the story because I QUIT PLAYING IT PRETTY EARLY ON.

Normally I would have said something like "Sonic 2006" but I really believe that game is so bad that everyone should experience it. Mega Man Battle Chip Challenge, however, should be avoided like a goddamn sickness.

• Thumbs Up 1