Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games

Sami

Im going to have to go with the PS3 this time around.

I was on the Nintendo side last gen but the WII forced me to jump over to the Sony side. Ive been with them for a good while with the PS3 and I havent regretted it since. The features, the online, the graphics and so much more mae me prefer it this gen. Sure the WII has the originals but I just cant enjoy it for long for soem reason. I guess I feel as though its out of place in this gen.

Sure the Gamecube was once my fav system and Id would of love to have it become the WII but the shortcomings are too much so my place with Nintendo has swayed over to the PS3.

Edited by Random Rhyme 3rd Verse

Day 26 - Favorite Console

I'm gonna limit myself to this Gen to make it much, much easier for me.

Xbox 360

xbox360logo1.jpg

The console has a ton of great game and my absolutely favorite controller. It's my most used console at the moment. When my 360 broke the service was great and I got it back much faster than they said it would take. Sure it broke again a few years later and I bought an S, but it was still great. And call me shallow but I like Achievements. More than Trophies (I think it's because I like seeing my points get higher xD)

Wii is my second choice. It has some of the best games out there, but I prefer normal controllers. Although, I do actually like the Wiimote.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll be another of the faggots who choose

The Wii

The library on this thing is just crazy. Yes, there's an overabundance of shovelware to wade through, but its best games are really some of the most outstanding in history. Throwing in backwards compatibility and Virtual Console opens up all the greatest titles of the past so you just can't miss out on much of anything.

And yeah a PC does about the same thing, but the PC don't got no WAGGLAN (ok well it does but)

• Thumbs Up 3

Day #26 - Favourite Console

We all know the tragic tale of the Dreamcast; but while it might not have been a commercial success, it was the first system that really embraced the future.

Before Xbox Live, there was SegaNet/Dreamarena... if you want to be pedantic this wasn't the first time a console included a network service (even the SNES and Mega Drive dabbled in it once upon a time), but this was internet straight out of the box in the 1990s. And if surfing the net and playing games online wasn't cool enough, there were even certain titles that had DLC and the option to voice chat. Just stop and imagine how amazing that was 13 years ago.

105z1vt.jpg

The VMU... was a battery hog, yeah... but it was still quite a notable little thing. Any system can have a memory card, but SEGA gave us a memory unit that we could play with too. There weren't many games that used it to its full potential, but the ones that did were really cool. I loved the ones that actually incorporated it to display data on-screen while you were playing the actual game on your TV.

And all those quirky titles we see now? Dreamcast was doing it years ago.

Long before plastic drumkits and fancy guitars were the norm, we had the Cha Cha Maracas... one of the many interesting peripherals the console saw during its short lifespan. Oh hey, Nintendogs and Kinectimals let you talk to a virtual pet? Well not only could you talk to Seaman, he gave you some pretty interesting responses in return... as of yet, none of my Nintendogs have turned around and asked if I'm coming on to them.

2r3cuf5.png

Urm... .. no Seaman... I'm pretty sure I wasn't. Now quit flinging poop at me.

But games like this are a shining example of just how innovative the Dreamcast was, and there's still things we haven't seen the likes of since... this was genuinely groundbreaking stuff. Every Dreamcast owner will probably tell you what an incredible and immersive experience Shenmue was, and for very good reason. PSO was the first console MMO and probably what ate up a good chunk of many a DC owner's life. There was the likes of Seaman. And games like Jet Set Radio, The Typing of the Dead, and Skies of Arcadia that were so imaginative and which we still don't quite have the equivalent of today... and that's not even getting into some of the games that were released in Japan in its later lifespan. I've mentioned before, and there was stuff like Roommania and Rent a Hero that were completely off the wall and all the better for it.

Oh yes... and did you know the Dreamcast gave us motion gaming long before the Wii? No, really!

Even today, there's still an incredible homebrew scene that continues to push the console to its limits. And in a way it's quite sad, because it only further proves just how much untapped potential the Dreamcast had and it's a crying shame it never stuck around long enough to show just what it was capable of. It really was ahead of it's time, and I suppose that's why it's always been my favourite.

And... Dr Robotnik's too, apparently. Did you know he never leaves home without his Dreamcast?

1z515p2.png

• Thumbs Up 4

OH SHIT RUNNING OUT OF TIME

THE WII

(dun-duh-duh-nuuuuuh)

ALRIGHT. So.

1: This thing has some really great games. It's got Mario Galaxy, DKCR, Colors, Rayman Origins, and a bunch of other incredible games.

2: Backwards compatibility OUT THE ASS. You can play almost any game from past Nintendo consoles through VC or using a GC port. I can play Paper Mario 2, Wind Waker, Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Mario RPG, tons of stuff. Awesome.

3: When companies really try, they can make the motion controls work well, or better, not even make me notice them, and use them as if I was pressing a button. Mario Galaxy worked as a 3D platformer using a controller that looked like somebody took the joystick from a normal controller and plugged it into a TV remote, and you did arguably the most important action in the game by shaking said remote around.

Graphics-wise, I didn't really mind. I had been playing games without HD since the beginning, after all.

Day 26 - Fav Console

Nintendo 64

My uncle brought me up with Nintendo and Dad brought me up with SEGA, so i had the best of both worlds, but the Nintendo 64 brought so many amazing years of fun with my uncle and my friends..

Kario Kart 64

Lylat Wars

Goldeneye

Banjo Kazooie

Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time

Pokemon Stadium

Mario 64

Diddy Kong Racing

all hold amazing memories that i cherish dearly.

runner up would be

SNES - Super Nintendo Entertainment System

my first console i had for myself, With Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island and Turtles in Time, seriously Nintendo made the most addictive games ever.

Day 26 - WHATS YO FAVORITE CONSOLE FO VIDYA

Okay, the consoles have been checked. Let's roll~!

The Wii - Nintendo

260px-Wii_console.png

Its what made Sonic great again. Its what revolutionized gaming. Its what caused the entire market for video games to expand and create a whole new demographic, and the Wii had set a formidable name for itself in the development of video gaming. The system can be suited for any sort of genre, and all sorts of configurations, gameplay, and even visuals can be in use! Also, this console can play a reeeealllyyyyy wide library of games, dating back several generations. And, its easy to jailbreak. What more could you want with a console that's the most versatile thing on the planet, eh?

Edited by Lennox/Rallen/Gunnar

Day 27 - Favorite Developer

platinum-games-logo.jpg

Yet another generic pick, and I'm still not sorry. If any development team deserves this title, it's Platinum. Getting their start as Clover Studios way back in 2004, their first project was the PS2 port of Viewtiful Joe. Disregarding the fact that the PS2 port was the superior version (Dante's awesome and you know it), Viewtiful Joe was an absolutely stunning game, and this team is the reason I played it.

Obviously though, that isn't nearly enough to land them this spot. Clover later went on to develop Viewtiful Joe 2 on their own (yet another brilliant game) and Okami (a game many would consider to be more a work of art than simply a video game), some of the best games on an already fantastic console.

After the destruction of the team at the hands of Capcom's idiotic executives, Clover put themselves back together as Platinum Games, and expanded their catalog of great games with Madworld, Vanquish, and Bayonetta. Platinum has never failed to impress me, and I highly doubt they will any time soon.

• Thumbs Up 4

Wow, Page 100. And you're making me chooses a favourite developer? ARGH NOT FAIR.

Well, actually, its got to be Nintendo hasn't it?

How many classic franchises have come out of Nintendo's development arm? How many classic games within each series? Not to mention developing the consoles themselves.

If they're not pioneering console features, they're creating whole new game genres. Nobdoy does it like Nintendo.

Must mention Lucasarts for all of their old-school point-and-click adventures, as well as Double Fine for being almost as inventive as the Big N.

Sega. Simply because of the amount of fan participation they have now. What other company endorses a fan convention? Sega comes out on top simply because they show they care more than others in my honest opinion.

PlatinumGames.png

Platinum Games completely dominated 2009-2010. Just look at the titles; MadWorld, Infinite Space, Bayonetta, Vanquish. These guys are incredible, never a dull title to be had, and Bayonetta in particular was fucking fantastic; very close, if not my favorite Game of The Year in 2010 next to No More Heroes 2. Shinji Mikami, Hideki Kamiya, all the key staff of Clover Studios before they disolved and left Capcom, every staff member that worked under the absolutely sublime titles such as Viewtiful Joe and Okami, are all here in a more organized, more powerful, more efficient guise.

In a timespan of one year they managed to build themselves up to be perhaps the greatest breakout developer and one of the most prolific, identifiable and iconic Japanese developers out there. If Rocksteady had a Japanese equivalent, these guys would be it.

They're now working on an incredibly promising Beat 'em Up game called Anarchy Reigns, but more importantly, they undertook the work of making Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. It looks fucking amazing, and I can't wait.

When you hear the word Platinum Games, you instantly think quality.

• Thumbs Up 7

Day 27 - Fav Developer

Nintendo

why wouldn't i fucking choose them? they own me and if i said SEGA i'd be sacked and flipping Burgers in Interstellar Rest Bites.

Love

Samus Aran~

• Thumbs Up 2

Dimps_logo.gif

...no?

Day 27: Favourite developer of vidya

Basically, almost any of Nintendo's development teams and their subsidiaries.

Just about nothing can go wrong under these guys and their works. Seriously, nothing. It's a constant goldmine of quality games that never seem to age.

• Thumbs Up 4

NIN-TEN-DO (Fuck yeah I'm using red Series)

Nintendo's been probably my favorite gaming company for years, the games they make our always great. The systems they make are also amazing (Like the Gamecube, 64 and Nintendo Wii). The reason I really like Nintendo, is they always treat their loyal fans with respect, like when they did the huge price cut with the Nintendo 3DS, they gave us ten free NES Games and ten free Gameboy Advance games (Well, people who bought it when it was $250, like me.). Nintendo will always be my favorite developer. (SUPAH MALLEO!)

• Thumbs Up 2

I can't say Platinum Games because I've only played Bayonetta and Madworld, while both are excellent games, I'm just not familiar with what else they have or are currently working on.

And while I'm at a Sonic forum, I feel I should say Sega, but currently I'm not playing much Sega games. It sounds like the awesome Valkyrie Chronicles series is no longer going outside of Japan, and I got bored of Super Monkey Ball years ago. The only consistant one is (obviously) Sonic.

Nintendo should really win my top favour because of seniority, so many awesome exclusive franchises and the fact I've owned every Nintendo console...I think...

However, there is a company that does something that Nintendo rarely does, and I took a shine to this company very quickly. It you look at many of my previous posts in this thread, you might be able to work it out...

Nippon Ichi Software

nisc.png

For one thing? Takehito Harada. For another thing? There bizarre sense of humour. A trait that I share. They published a game called "Holy Invasion Of Privacy, Badman! What Did I Do To Deserve This?", that clearly shows how silly they can be, and I approve. Plus the games they develop tend to use the Anime art style and I always love that. I'll often buy a game just for the art style alone, regardless of whether it's good or bad. But in my opinion, NIS don't often bring out bad games.

NISA are also releasing Anime on DVD and almost always offer additional extras as an option. Something that the Europe publishers rarely do. And if they did, it would be some crappy T-shirt that doesn't fit or pointless DLC stuff for games.

You check there catalog of games and you notice there's still a lot from NIS that we're not getting, but to be honest, I'm suprised we are getting as much as we have so far. But I demand more!! C'mon EU & US publishers! Bring some more of that colourful Japanese craziness to our side of the pond! I'm sick of all this war, shooting, driving sh*t!!

nintendologo.png

Nintendo has created some of the most beloved games of all time. Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Starfox, Pokemon etc.

I really don't have a lot to say here, just love them, they were basically responsible for my entire gaming childhood, love them to bits!

• Thumbs Up 1

504px-Nintendo.svg.png

Nintendo Co., Ltd. - Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc. - 1889-Present

I've been playing Nintendo games for most of my lifetime. Not because I don't have a choice, but it's just the truth. I don't want to stop playing them because they're that good, and because of that, I feel as if this answer is a bit unfair to me and other developers that I like. I only owned maybe four games for my PS2, so that's out of the question, I've never played a single Valve game until last year, and overall I've been severely limited in the amount of PC games I could play due to low specs until last month. So it feels as if I don't have a choice other than picking Nintendo. And because of that, there are so many great games by other developers that I'm missing out/have missed out on.

So what I'm going to do is give an extended title to the small number of runner-up developers of games that I have played, and that aren't developed by Nintendo's first or second-parties.

Most Inspirational Developer

teamshanghaialicej.png

Team Shanghai Alice - Touhou Project - 2002-Present

I've Heard Great Things About You And I Look Forward To More Of Your Work

800pxvalvelogosvg.png

Valve Corporation - Team Fortress 2, Portal - 1996-Present

New Guy That Shows A Lot Of Potential

hirezlogo.jpg

Hi-Rez Studios - Tribes: Ascend - 2005-Present

Gone, But Not Forgotten

458pxensemblestudioslog.png

Ensemble Studios - Age of Empires - 1995-2009

• Thumbs Up 4

Favorite game developer would be NEEEEEN-TENNNNNNN-DOHH (just how it's said in Mario Kart Double Dash)

Several of Nintendo's games pretty much made my childhood, games include Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Kart Double Dash, Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, Yoshi's Island DS, and Super Mario 64 DS. These are games that I find to be very good, and ones that I really like. Even today, Nintendo's games are still really good.

Runner up: (Sonic Team)

MY FAVORITE DEV TEAM!

Don't really have to think about this one...

Arc_system_works_logo.png

ARC SYSTEM WORKS

A lot of the games they've released are very high-quality. These guys are mainly known for the successful and critically acclaimed fighting series BlazBlue and Guilty Gear. Many people love them for the awesome mechanics and amazing art style. BlazBlue is definitely well-known for its fleshed-out story, something rarely seen in fighting games. Arc System also worked on several other games, such as Battle Fantasia, Arcana Heart 3, and Hard Corps: Uprising, a game in the Contra series.

Sure, they have a small line-up, but there's a lot of awesome games to check out, especially if you're a fighting game fan.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day Numbero Twenty Seventy - Ninja's When-it's-donetastic "Stop buying those crappy games from LJN already, Kami", Favourite Game Developers Ever!

nintendo-logo-mario1.jpg

(including Game Freak, Hal Laboratories, Retro Studios, Alpha Dream and other assorted Studios)

Where do I start?

Nintendo has a Charm to it, like No other Company has. At their Best they created some of the Greatest games I've ever played, their characters are all simple, yet Memorable and as I mentioned they brought out some of my favourite Consoles out there.

Their Franchises all have formed my Childhood like No Other Company has and I still find myself always Looking forward to whatever Big game they have up their sleeves. Keep on Trucking Big N, Keep on Trucking.

PlatinumGames.png

+Clover Studio

ah, Clover Studio....one of the Greatest Developers of the Last generation, wich in all meanings of the word was 'Too Good to Last'.

Viewtiful Joe, Okami, God Hand, all of those Brilliant Games, Clover had quite a Bright future ahead.....and then they got Closed.

Fuck

Enter Platinum Games.

assembled from various Former Clover Studio People, Platinum Games quickly rose to become one of my Favourite Developers with their off the shits Insane style of Making Video Games.

Literally, the Moment you think they gave everything they had, they come back with More and it is GLORIOUS!

Bayonetta, MadWorld, Vanquish, all of those Games are Excellent in their respective Genre to Me, and I am Looking Foward to MGS:Revengance and Anarchy Reigns

2wq7dd0.png

I've only started playing games such as Half Life 2, Team Fortress 2 and the Two Portal Games since relativeley recent, but all of those Games captured Me Instantly and made me fall in Love with the company

I Love Valve for their sense of Humor and for managing to Hide a suprisingly Complex story in otherwise Very Simple games, or otherwise Just managing to make one of the Most Fun Shooters I've ever played. Not to mention their ability to constantly Update their games with new Content to keep the Fanbase going.

and yes Gaben, it always is worth the weight...always.

Edited by Mr. NinjaShark
  • Thumbs Up 3

Favorite Developer:

Nintendo is my favorite. They've been a part of my gaming since I was 4 years old. Every game I buy from them is almost guaranteed to be worth the purchase, worthy of cracking open years later to replay again and again. Series like Legend of Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, etc. were some of the first games I was ever introduced to, and even over 15 years later each entry into the series keeps things interesting.

I have the sudden urge to find my old Pokemon Blue game.

Twenty-seventh: Favourite Developer

Well, obviously it's Nintendo. I can't think of anyone else with more top quality titles and franchises under their belt. So instead I'll focus on a little company that's owned by Nintendo:

Retro Studios

You may remember them from such fantastic modern reimaginings of classic franchises as Metroid Prime and Donkey Kong Country Returns. It says something about a company that responds to the direction to make a new Donkey Kong Country game by going back and playing all the old DKC games in order to identify the most iconic and most fun aspects of the series as a whole. As for the Metroid series, they not only revived the franchise, but they accomplished the rare feat of adding a third dimension to a platform game and making it all the better for it. I've never been as immersed in a game as when I was exploring alien planets from within the helmet of Samus Aran. Ignoring the plot and characterisation of the Prime Trilogy when making Metroid Other M was the single dumbest executive decision in recent Nintedo history, one that was justly answered with reduced sales for undoing so much of Retro Studios' good work in building up the greatest video game heroine ever. Whichever franchise is the next to get Retro working on it can consider itself lucky to recieve such love for the medium.

• Thumbs Up 2