Awoo.

Rumour: Episode 2 release date....

Badnik Mechanic

Archie comics has a long standing tradition of releasing some kind of random comic adaptation with every new Sonic game (well major ones).

The last time they did this was with Sonic Generations, which came out in the same month Generations did.

Well... Archie Comics has a new Sonic series out at the moment called "Sonic Super Special" which is a quarterly issue. It releases and issue every 4 months or so.

The second issue came out a few days ago... here it is.

SSS2.jpg

Have a look at whats inside...

episode2.jpg

See that? Issue 3 will have a Sonic 4 Episode 2 issue. If thats the case and they're going to try and get the comic out when the game is due out, Episode 2 would have a release date of somewhere in the middle of April to May.

Bare in mind this is far from concrete, at the moment, but archie comics do try to get their adaptations as close as possible to the release date, so they may know something we don't and have accidentally let the goose... urm... urm... go to... Grimsby?

Go read Barry's article.

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 6

That's a nice looking cover. I should grab a copy of that...

I hope this game wasn't rushed or anything. Hopefully Archie's tradition stays true.

You can link to my news article if you'd like, it's tssz free http://segabits.com/blog/2012/01/18/sonic-4-episode-2-comic-adaptation-points-to-aprilmay-release-of-the-game/

The Colors and Generations adaptations released very close to the game's release, so I'll get Episode 2 is set for an April/May release.

Speaking of that issue above (#2) wonder if it's the complete Sonic Adventure adaptation? I sort of enjoyed that back in the day, and would love to have it all in one book. Off topic, sorry. ;P

• Thumbs Up 1

Wouldn't be suprised, the game was rated by ESRB, which means it's near completion. A late spring/early summer release is pretty reasonable.

Hmmm well this is interesting.

I really hope that we don't see too much of the Episode before its released so the sooner the better. Showing off everyone like they did with Episode I would be stupid.

Well, it's already been rated by the major ratings boards, so I figure it can't be TOO far from release. Hopefully we'll hear more about the game soon, if that really is the release window.

Pure speculation here, but the magazine is quarterly, so instead of assuming that the month this comes out will be the same as the game's, I would imagine it would fall anywhere from then up to 3 months afterwards.

but the magazine is quarterly, so instead of assuming that the month this comes out will be the same as the game's, I would imagine it would fall anywhere from then up to 3 months afterwards.

That is not likely to be the case for these reasons.

1: Archie comics almost always does a Sonic VG adaptation.

2: They try to release it as close to the games release as possible.

3: It would make no sense to put on the 'Next Month' page a Sonic 4 episode 2 adaptation any of their monthly publications if it's due for print in late April/Early may.

Edited by Hogfather

Something else of note: this means that Sonic 4 Episode 2 has something worthy to adapt! Think back to episode 1, there was nothing adaptation worthy, aside from perhaps Sonic's little rocket flight. So given that Episode 2 is getting a little adaptation, we will probably get a little bit of a story this time. Perhaps even cutscenes?

Yeah I'm dreaming, I know.

• Thumbs Up 1

Something else of note: this means that Sonic 4 Episode 2 has something worthy to adapt! Think back to episode 1, there was nothing adaptation worthy, aside from perhaps Sonic's little rocket flight. So given that Episode 2 is getting a little adaptation, we will probably get a little bit of a story this time. Perhaps even cutscenes?

Yeah I'm dreaming, I know.

It's possible, but it's also possible they'll just add they're own substance to the plot of episode 2 to flesh out the adaptation.
  • Thumbs Up 1

How about a larger version of that cover? wink.png

e48ad8d50ff2b70c74d90bfa53e84cac.jpg

Ben Bates' art continues to be awesome. Also, besides the S4E2 story, the issue will also feature a reprint of the Sonic CD story from StH #25.

Hey, you can see a bit of a level there! Looks like Greek architecture. I can't help but think of Mount Olympus from Hercules.laugh.png

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 1

That's not Marble Garden is it... xD

You know what would be hilarious? If Marble Garden didn't have Bubbles.

Edited by Dreamcast
  • Thumbs Up 2

Well Marble Garden didn't have such pillars. They were more a thing for Aquatic Ruin. Though this has got me interested.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, since the Storybook series is all but dead, this damn well better be an ancient Greek themed level.

I want my Greek mythology Sonic game/level/I'lltakeanythingatthispoint and I want it NOW, dammit. This shall have to suffice. Preferably with an Egg Hydra boss or something.

And if it does turn out to be Aquatic Ruin 2.0... groan. All new zones, please.

• Thumbs Up 5

Well Marble Garden didn't have such pillars. They were more a thing for Aquatic Ruin. Though this has got me interested.

Well it still had pillars, just without the swirl design. I'd rather Sonic 3 rehashing than Sonic 2, but hopefully the stages will be original.

Greek level theme?!.*stands up and shows his chest proudly as Sonic Team(maybe) give me another reason to love them even more.

I was ecstatic once i saw Apotos in Unleashed. :D

• Thumbs Up 1

*Groan* PLEASE don't be Aquatic Ruin 2.0

A Greek themed level could be pretty cool otherwise. Mount Olympus Zone FTW.

• Thumbs Up 3

How about a larger version of that cover? wink.png

e48ad8d50ff2b70c74d90bfa53e84cac.jpg

Ben Bates' art continues to be awesome. Also, besides the S4E2 story, the issue will also feature a reprint of the Sonic CD story from StH #25.

From the little I can see there's new colored pilliars, some clouds, and an orange sky (sunset gimmick from Splash Hill again?).