Awoo.

Worst sonic Move/Gimmick ever

KHCast

So it's pretty obvious sonic is the main character of well the Sonic series. And as the main character he's been tested on so many times by sega. Whether it's a new move to add to his gameplay to a new gimmick to spice up the franchise. You know what else is pretty obvious? Most of the new things they try normanlly result in a broken game or broken game mechanics. So what are the most notorious Worst moves or gimmicks?In concept or execution.

For me it would have to be Taking away sonic's speed in Sonic labyrinth. That was just a dumbass move. WHY would you take the main thing about a blazing freakin fast hedgehog, his speed, away from him?! Not only was it slow but a bad game on top of it. It felt nothing like a sonic game to me.Sonic_Labyrinth_SGG_ScreenShot2.gif

Also The 06 purple gem. That thing was just so broken. You could skip stages with that thing! It actually made the game more fun than it actually was.

Sonic-the-black-knight--20090303031321749_640w.jpg

Sonic and the black knights sword gameplay i just could not play with. It was just a wagge fest and luck of the draw for me at certain parts. Cheap placement of pits,enemies and some pits that felt to big adding onto his clunky sword gameplay made it all the worse! You'd have to pay me to play that game again.

Some other runner ups for me would have to be the werehog, The tornado power up and Sonic for and the sword gameplay. And i know this isn't sonic but silver in 06. Now it's your turn.(Oh yeah and sa2's somersault)

Edited by the hedgehogs boost

Worst Gimmick hands down for me is treasure hunting (damn you meteor herd). As for worst move, it's going to somersault, it was just really pointless to me.

Dishonorable mention goes to bigs fishing levels. All of them.

I'm going to say all of Sonic Adventure 2 that is not Sonic or Shadow. When I was younger I kind of liked the treasure hunts, but more because I got to play as my favorite character Knuckles than because of actual gameplay reasons. Now they just bore me. The Tails and Eggman levels aren't particularly bad, but they do nothing for me and I would not miss them if they were gone.

Big in Sonic Adventure 1. FIshing. What the fuck. No one wants to fish in Sonic. (In B4 someone quotes me and says "Hey man, I want to fish in Sonic!")

The werehog was a pretty bad idea, but I definitely enjoyed him more than Big's fishing or any of SA2

I'm not gonna lie, I somehow managed to REALLY enjoy Black Knight (like more than anyone should), but the sword still kind of annoys me, because it doesn't really do anything Sonic wouldn't be able to do on his own if they just got a little more creative with his spins and stuff.

To be honest, I liked all the gimmicks so far. But the one move that I hate the most would be the somersault from SA2. As much as I like the game, that somersault is nothing but a speed killer. (The jump you make while doing a somersault is cool though)

White Gem in SONIC '06. Uh....what does this actually do that's even remotely useful? All it is is the ability to hold your homing attack still in the air for as long as you want. It doesn't increase the strength of the Homing Attack and actually makes it easier for robots with weapons to hit you.

Come to think of it, most of the Gems in '06 were stupid and mostly useless.

And I love SatSR's skills and that but what exactly is the point of the Crest of Dark? I don't think I've noticed an effect from it except for surrounding Sonic's body in purple mist whilst running every few seconds. Does it have something to do with Rings/Pearls/EXP/Soul Gauge given that Rings/Pearls/Soul Gauge/EXP is what Dark-type skills revolve around?

• Thumbs Up 2

THE FUCKING SUMMERSAULT FROM ADVENTURE 2!

Im sorry, that move is fucking annoying. Especially when im enjoying running at a good pace and when I want to go into Spindash, that fucking move just kills the momentum, I hate it, WHY COULDN'T HAVE IT BEEN A SLIDE MOVE?

Also, the Rocket Accel from Heroes, that move is fucking broken, I can NEVER get it to work when I want it to, and even when you do it isn't even worth it.

The Magic Hands, need I say more?

The Blue Wisp from Colors, its just a boring wisp to use

Edited by Grooseinator032
  • Thumbs Up 8

The Magic Hands in SA2.

Talk about an absolutely friggin' useless power-up. Seriously, it didn't even have a purpose in the game!

The spike wisp in generations is also a annoying move. Not the worst but one i think is worth mentioning. Not only is it a broken power up that goes in whatever direction it wants to But it's ALSO the gimmick of the level. IT'S A TWO IN ONE!

RE: the somersault, I do like that it was a way to keep you from spamming the spin dash--I assume that was the main reason they introduced it. tongue.png

(This is in no particular order BTW.)

Sonic 3 / & Knuckles: I used to find the insta-shield useless. Then I started actually using it. It's saved me from losing a ton of rings more than once.

Sonic Adventure / 2 / etc: That Light Speed Attack. Not the light dash, the attack--where you fly all over the place and destroy a bunch of enemies at lightspeed. Yeah, it's cool. It's flashy. But it's incredibly useless. Seriously. It does help a lot in the boss battles in the first Adventure, though. IIRC, it lets you attack pretty much all the bosses twice in a row. Not sure if that was intended or not...

Sonic Heroes: Rocket Accel. Almost forgot this one until Groose mentioned it. :L

Sonic '06: YOU CAN'T ATTACK BY JUMPING INTO ENEMIES SERIOUSLY WHAT THE HELL?! Oh, and the spin dash.

Shadow the Hedgehog: The Spin Dash. I'm not a fan of the weapons, although some of them can be fun (particularly the bazookas). I would have preferred either one-hit enemies of the "Chaos Attack" (melee attacks) from Shadow's gameplay in '06. The chaos spear would have easily replaced weapons, too.

Sonic Advance series: Pretty much all the B-button moves, with some exceptions.

Sonic Colours DS: I hate that the stomp slows you down a lot unless you stomp onto a speed booster or spring. >_>

Sonic Colours: Honestly, the Cube Wisp is the only one I find boring. Also, using most wisps can be annoying. Like how laser automatically launches once you let go of the control-stick, making aiming a bit difficult at times. The Rocket Wisp not being able to move left and right while going up seemed silly to me. (I think they fixed that in Generations?) The drift is really awkward in this game, too. :/

Sonic Generations: The fact that Classic's spin dash is so spammable. Although, it is an amusing (and probably unintentional) reference to Sonic Adventure. :V

Edited by ElementofChaos7
  • Thumbs Up 1

So it'

Sonic-the-black-knight--20090303031321749_640w.jpg

Sonic and the black knights sword gameplay i just could not play with. It was just a wagge fest and luck of the draw for me at certain parts. Cheap placement of pits,enemies and some pits that felt to big adding onto his clunky sword gameplay made it all the worse! You'd have to pay me to play that game again.

I agree with this, but I feel that the Sword gimmick has a lot of un-tapped potential, based around the idea of swinging and attacking when moving. Kind of like the spin move in galaxy, but faster paced, mabye add a jumping slash, keep it fast-paced, and bingo. Fast-paced combat in a Sonic game.

But that's a little off topic.

• Thumbs Up 5

BOOST TO WIN TROLLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Seriously, though, I'm gonna parrot the people above and say fuck the somersault in Adventure 2.

Edited by Tornado

Rolling.

Who the hell thought it was a good idea to make a hedgehog roll?

i know right? I'm so glad the got rid of that worthless junk! Now for the important thing. Now if you excuse me...BOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSHHHHHTTTT!!!

The goddamn somersault. If they were going to put a limit to the spam dash they should have just made it only work when at a complete stop (like in the classics) instead of making you hold the button for 3 seconds. In that sense, despite the nerfed spindash, Sonic 06 did that more correctly tongue.png

Definately the Samusault, heck most of the Adventure, Adventure 2, and 06 moves were utter useless.

I have no beef against the Homing Attack EXCEPT for in the 3DS version of Generations.

You know what's better than playing one of Big's levels in SA1? Playing one of Big's levels using a keyboard!

Dishonorable mention to Swordplay, Hunting in SA2, and the Werehog.

>that feeling when spin-jumping on enemies in Sonic '06 does **** all besides getting yourself hurt.

Worst gimmicks in Sonic games... Hm.

Sonic Labyrinth! Byebye, what made Sonic Sonic! No fast running, no jumping...

Big, as much as I like ya, the fishing wasn't necessary at all within a Sonic game. It was alright, but... nah.

Then comes the Magic Hands from Sonic Adventure 2 (Battle) since they had practically no use at all besides cradling miniature enemies as if they were Chao.

Sonic Heroes... I don't really have much beef with it when it comes to moves or gimmicks. Although, I do wish there was more of a variety between each team besides speed, difficulty, Team Blasts and the fact that they all operate on specific Speed/Flight/Power sets.

Shadow... Very unnecessary gameplay with the guns, but at least the game worked with it when it comes to a lot of baddies.

Sonic '06... everything. I'll spare the elaboration of the glitchwhoring and concentrate on the two most useless gameplay issues here.

-Gems: Blue (no control during the short bursts of speed), Red (rapes time bonuses and slows everything to a crawl. I would have no problem if it could have been used sparingly but Sonic's energy metre only depletes during Elise missions), Green (that tornado is carrying NOTHING. PRETTY special effects that work about as much as the spin kick and takes a longer amount of time!), Yellow (magnetic shield minus protection), Grey (what the hell is this even for? I freeze a Homing Attack in midair and keep spinning, but it adds no extra distance, speed, or power! Besides, why AIM when the HA ALREADY AIMS AT ENEMIES), Light Blue (maybe the only decently designed gem, ideally, but executing it is another matter), and Purple (you turn miniature and can perform unlimited jumps. Like Red, would feel more useful, if at all, could it have been LIMITED! Also, did I forget to mention horrible camera?)

-Shadow's Chaos Boost. The Cheese already listed why.

Unleashed onward, I've got no beef, but Super Sonic in-level could've been handled a lot better in Generations.

As for other titles, namely the Storyboard games, there's only one thing that I hated about both Secret Rings and Black Knight. And I'm not going to complain about the waggle-fest, because that's not the root of the problem.

I got used to it, but the "on-rails, follow one path, always move forward and linear stages" gameplay wasn't really any fun. The fact that I would actually have to tilt the Wiimote back/hold a button to get Sonic to stop is really irritating, to be honest. For a Wii game, the controls could've been handled better. There was improvement in Black Knight (or maybe because a Nunchuk was required), but I would prefer to actually control Sonic instead of having him automatically move forward. I don't want Sonic to walk backwards/backflip for a missed treasure chest.

Now, if Black Knight controlled a bit more like Twilight Princess in its day...

Edited by VizardJeffhog

Worst for me would be the magic gloves. Even for messing around it's just...meh. At least Shadow didn't get that upgrade.

Fishing in SA1 is second, for the reasons everybody else said.

The sword in BK was alright, but it would have been much more sensible for a different video game series altogether.

Grinding.

Basically used to advertise the failed Soap shoe label, but did SEGA leave it there?

Sure it's gotten easier over the past decade, but it's still a pain in the butt to line yourself up to automatically attach to a rail when you get close enough, and when you do get on, you have t be extremely careful not to over do it or you'll fall off. That's especially true when you're trying to turn around and head backwards.

no thanks, no thanks

• Thumbs Up 1

Grinding.

Basically used to advertise the failed Soap shoe label, but did SEGA leave it there?

Sure it's gotten easier over the past decade, but it's still a pain in the butt to line yourself up to automatically attach to a rail when you get close enough, and when you do get on, you have t be extremely careful not to over do it or you'll fall off. That's especially true when you're trying to turn around and head backwards.

no thanks, no thanks

Wait, in Sa2? If so, I suppose, but after that I found it nigh-impossible to fall off a rail, even when I was TRYING to. I wish they'd bring back grinding like it was in Sonic Adventure 2!

Also, Jeffhog, you didn't automagically run forward in Black Knight. o: But I know what you mean.

As for Magic Hands, I think it was a debug thing that they added just for fun, If anything, Mystic Melody was stupider. xD I had fun with Magic Hands at least.

• Thumbs Up 4

Wait, in Sa2? If so, I suppose, but after that I found it nigh-impossible to fall off a rail, even when I was TRYING to. I wish they'd bring back grinding like it was in Sonic Adventure 2!

You seem to have forgotten Heroes. Grinding could be unreasonably difficult in Heroes if you weren't really careful.

EDIT: Oh, and don't forget '06.

It was actually pretty good in Shadow...easy to switch rails, IIRC.

Edited by ElementofChaos7

I'll leave alternate gameplay styles really, aside from Blue Wisp, as it's so context specific and it's just not very fun to use. If it had more overall use, it might have been more fun to do.

Also Spikes in Generations. It's nice you can do a Spin Dash Jump well now, but it's so random what you'll do otherwise. Sometimes you'll spindash off a wall or ceiling to the other side, sometimes it won't work properly, sometimes you bounce off the gears instead of going the way you intended, and most weird of all, you CAN'T spam a strong spindash, unlike Colours (on the strength part) and unlike the rest of the game (on the spamming part). It's not broken per se, but it doesn't handle well AT ALL. And there's the part where rolling into enemies will kill them, but unlike Colours sometimes you will get hurt pretty much randomly.

The somersault sucks for reasons already stated, why not just slide or roll? Thankfully, we do have at least a slide - a roll would be cooler as they managed to actually give the slide okay physics in Generations but I'm not going into that debate.

Oh and the ring bombs as well, in terms of Heroes anyway, simply because if you're Tails and Rouge on your own YOU'RE FUCKED as you can't kill anything, only stun things, and the bombs have like no range. Even for an emergency attack it's shitty. From what little of 06 I played, at least the ring bombs could kill things.

Edited by Semi-colon e