Awoo.

Worst sonic Move/Gimmick ever

KHCast

Has anyone mentioned Secret Ring's control scheme at all? Seriously, it just sucks. First off, who's idea was it to make it so Sonic auto-runs through the levels? I actually like controlling the characters I play as in video games, thank you very much. With this aspect of gameplay, it is all too easy for the player to run into enemies and obstacles, or fall into a pit.

Yeah, there's a brake move and yes, you can have Sonic move backwards to help you survive the levels. But why do you need to press a button for Sonic to stop running? This isn't Mario Kart, it's an action platformer for crying out loud! I don't mind them doing something different with the basic Sonic gameplay, but what they did just makes the controls really awkward. Not to mention that constant braking and going backwards to avoid getting skewered by spikes on the walls or getting burned by a fire genie thing just slows the gameplay down too much.

Secret Rings had some really good ideas and the execution of the storyline, music, and level design were rather good. But it failed to get right the most important aspect of any game.

Edited by Special Operative Blaire
  • Thumbs Up 2

I think Secret Rings' biggest problem is how they made the controls bad on purpose just so you could unlock smoother controls later on in the game. Just who the fuck thought it was a good idea?

I think Secret Rings' biggest problem is how they made the controls bad on purpose just so you could unlock smoother controls later on in the game. Just who the fuck thought it was a good idea?

Apparently it was Yojiro Ogawa's. In fact I remember him stating at one point that the controls were specifically adapted to work with the Wiimote or some similar bullshit.

Worst gimmick - Time Break (from Secret Rings) It's downright pointless until the final boss with Erazor Djin

Worst move - The slide attack (from '06) Again, it's useless and you don't need it for anything besides "saving" the girl in the beginning. 

The slide in general is pretty useless (aside from the walls with gaps at the bottom) and not Sonic-y. The Spindash/rolling would feel more like Sonic and see more use.

The slide in general is pretty useless (aside from the walls with gaps at the bottom) and not Sonic-y. The Spindash/rolling would feel more like Sonic and see more use.

Never mind the somersault/spin dash would score tons of nostalgia points without being feeling overly regressive. We can move ahead in our gameplay, but it never hurts to pay homage to the past, right?

The Dummy Rings for Tails.

Seriously, what the hell?

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

The slide in the Unleashed Games, it would fit better in an Adventure game. In my opinion, it worked better in 06 because its placement didn't feel redundant when comparing it to the boost. I also think that the boost shouldn't kill enemies on contact to add emphasis on jumping, homing attacking, rolling, or slide kicking.

The Dummy Rings for Tails.

Seriously, what the hell?

Heroes was plenty bad enough. But then '06 managed to actually make it worse. lolwut

Frenzy in 3D. It's movement is more clunky than Shadow the Hedgehog and Labyrinth's controls combined. Good thing it's only used like 5% of the game.

I didn't really say anything that had a point to it in my first post, so:

What was the point of the spinkick in Unleashed HD? I never once found a use for it other than annoying residents in the hubworlds.

Heroes was plenty bad enough. But then '06 managed to actually make it worse. lolwut

In Heroes you never had a reason to uss those stupid ring bombs unless both your teammates were captured by those jellyfish badniks (which is fairly easy to avoid). 06 then goes and makes it into a fucking mandatory weapon to kill enemies, just, what the hell?

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 1

What was the point of the spinkick in Unleashed HD? I never once found a use for it other than annoying residents in the hubworlds.

You could use it to attack the shielded Egg Fighters... which the Sonic Boost can also do without breaking the flow.

I didn't really say anything that had a point to it in my first post, so:

There was a spinkick?

There was a spinkick?

It was that move Sonic would do if you pressed B while standing perfectly still. I forgot it even existed until just now actually...

I swear it barely activated half the time because Sonic seemed to try and slide anyway. Maybe that's just me...

I swear it barely activated half the time because Sonic seemed to try and slide anyway. Maybe that's just me...

You had to double tap the crouch button to activate it. And crouching on a slope (even a shallow one) would have Sonic slide instead of crouch. It was a pointless attack, 

You had to double tap the crouch button to activate it.

Yeah I noticed this. It was kind of stupid but I guess it would be normal tap just like in 06 where there wasn't a crouch if the crouch wasn't present in Unleashed. However, I still like being able to crouch (especially the pose Sonic does) so yeah, whatever I suppose tongue.png It was a wise move to get rid of the kick in Colours and Generations as the slide was easier to activate and even then you've got the homing attack and the boost to attack more easily, or even jumping on enemies normally and preserving your momentum.

Edited by Semi-colon e

Speaking of moves, I found a patent that Sega submitted in 2007 for a camera system for what was probably Unleashed. They abandoned the patent for some reason, but it's still interesting, mostly because of their crappy doodle of Sonic for the abstract, and the fact that all game consoles drawn by Sega look like Dreamcasts.

There have been many bad Gimmick moves - from the dummy ring bomb to the somersault to... fishing. However the worst gimmick move is not as bad as those but beats them because it hasn't been confined to a single game: Sonic's slide. This crappy move usurped the classic roll and Spin Dash and won't go away. It needs to be replaced by the roll and Spin Dash.

Edited by Darth InVaders

Speaking of Tails' dummy rings, I never liked Rouge's bombs either. Why couldn't she just kick like in SA2? Why couldn't Talls attack with his fucking tails like in SA1?!

What about Amy's invisibility move? That made no sense whatsoever. It was never mentioned before that she could turn invisible, so why now!

• Thumbs Up 1

Speaking of Tails' dummy rings, I never liked Rouge's bombs either. Why couldn't she just kick like in SA2? Why couldn't Talls attack with his fucking tails like in SA1?!

What about Amy's invisibility move? That made no sense whatsoever. It was never mentioned before that she could turn invisible, so why now!

Knowing all the shit in 06(Metal Sonic was actually a planned character) I am going to jokingly assume that Espio preceded Amy in development and that's leftover coding they forgot to remove from Espio and left it in there for the shits and giggles.

• Thumbs Up 1

I thought it was the boost that usurped the spindash. =|

Exactly. We want the spindash back.