Awoo.

The Official Sonic 4 Mods Topic

goku262002

Guess what else we can mod besides the textures, sfx, and music?

[media=]

The credits! Fab credit names brought to you by the ever racey Polygon Jim.

Edited by goku262002
  • Thumbs Up 9

Guess what else we can mod besides the textures, sfx, and music?

*video*

The credits! Fab credit names brought to you by the ever racey Polygon Jim.

Jim's as mature as ever it seems.

There's actually a heck of a lot more that can be done with the game than most of us have the means to do at the moment. I miss the days when Retro shared info, and didn't just hoard it away in their Tech Lounge.

• Thumbs Up 1

In fact... just replace most of the SFX clips with voice clips from Bill & Ted, Eggman appears, "How's it goin' royal ugly dudes!" Get an extra life box = "69 dude!" Die = "Bogus!"

I'm sorry, but if "69 dude!" is going to play anywhere, it has to be with the Tag Team 69 Spin :P

Comparison pictures, first is the default texture, second is the modded texture:

Sonic and Super Sonic (these are the same as the gamma edited textures I posted before):

Sonic-2.jpg

THANK YOU for making the game about 250,000 times more playable...Man I feel rich today.

I see nothing wrong with the way it is to start with tbh, the ios HD/Android style render just looks dry and the shade of blue is disgusting, opinion...

First post and stuff, but just wondering if there will ever be a texture mod for Episode Metal like there was for Episode 1.

Someone requested this to me in youtube, might as well post it here, it's just a really small sound effect mod, it turns off the lock-on beep sound. It also includes the modified spin-dash charge and spinning sound effects from this video:

The links:

Episode 1 - http://www.mediafire.com/?5qzhceonjx2ed6x

Episode Metal and Episode 2 - http://www.mediafire.com/?35b0k7qhcpw3zpo

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty much. this is the main problems right here:

If I am not mistaken there is no hacks yet because almost everything in the game is stored in AMB files - we can unpack them but currently there is no way to pack them back in. So, no physics hacks until we have proper AMB tool. All we can do now is to simply swap models and textures.

Well you see, you can edit Generations physics in notepad. Sonic 4 on the other hand you would need to disassemble it into either x86 or PPC assembly(depending the version you are editing) then do a few days of work to figure out where Sonic's physics values even are, and even then you have a very small chance of doing anything beyond changing his speed.

Its an impossible task no body wants to take up due to the time it will eat up and having a slim chance of it working. I made this topic in the hopes the community would pull through as usual and make something great out of this game but that was before I knew this.

So this topic just sits and waits until the proper tools can be made that have the chance of working on Sonic 4.

Pretty much. this is the main problems right here:

Its an impossible task no body wants to take up due to the time it will eat up and having a slim chance of it working. I made this topic in the hopes the community would pull through as usual and make something great out of this game but that was before I knew this.

So this topic just sits and waits until the proper tools can be made that have the chance of working on Sonic 4.

HOLD ON JUST A MINUTE!!!!!!! I have the proper tools and how to repack textures and shitz. Do you mind if I make tutorial about it?

Thats just textures, the other files for physics and all that are different and more complicated types. we know how to repack textures, sfx, music and such so no thanks you don't need to if you really don't want to.

Um... hello? You said "proper tools" and repacking AMB textures?

Hey, this is off-topic, but is there an SADX Mods Topic? If there isn't, I'd be happy to make one.

Edited by DarkspineSilver1

Um... hello? You said "proper tools" and repacking AMB textures?

Edited by ezodagrom

At this point it's possible to unpack and repack AMB files (about repacking, the edited files can't be bigger than the original files, they have either to be the same size or smaller). The problem is editing what is inside the AMB files. While it's easy to edit textures, nothing much is known about the files for other stuff in the games, and no one's really bothering to discover more things about these files.

At this point it's possible to unpack and repack AMB files (about repacking, the edited files can't be bigger than the original files, they have either to be the same size or smaller). The problem is editing what is inside the AMB files. While it's easy to edit textures, nothing much is known about the files for other stuff in the games, and no one's really bothering to discover more things about these files.

THAT IS IT!!!!!!!!!!! I had enough of this! I'm going to put instructions on Sonic Retro. You people will thank me for TEACHING you how to hack Sonic 4. Now, bow down to your master. bwahahahaha

why nothing has been done besides texture, sfx, and music replacements. I'll put it this way: its easier to hack Sonic 2006 on the 360 then it is to hack Sonic 4 right now.

it sucks but we can still techincally mod the game so thats why this topic hasn't been closed yet.

why nothing has been done besides texture, sfx, and music replacements. I'll put it this way: its easier to hack Sonic 2006 on the 360 then it is to hack Sonic 4 right now.

it sucks but we can still techincally mod the game so thats why this topic hasn't been closed yet.

In that post in the last page you say it's not possible to repack AMB files, but that's not true, repacking AMB files has been possible for quite some time, it's just that no one is really bothering to figure out how the files inside the AMB files work, or those that know how those files work don't really care about sharing their findings.

If someone did bother with this, now would be possible to mess with object placement of the stages, for example. Most likely the hardest thing (completely impossible for most people) to mess with in the Sonic 4 series would be the physics, since apparently those are not stored in the AMB files.

Edited by ezodagrom

Since darksupersponge said the paint(dot)net software can open .dds files without making filesize larger and since everyone was an idiot and didn't figure it out yet, I guess I have to explain how to repack amb files.

PROGRAMS YOU WILL NEED:

GIMP 2.0 with .DDS plugin

Paint.NET

QuickBMS

and of course, Sonic 4 (Episode 1 or 2, It works for both).

Now then, first download AMBextract:

http://projects.sapp...act-windows.zip

Then get quickbms and sonic4.bms.

QuickBMS:

http://www.mediafire...bsj3vqk8g6cvx65

Sonic4.bms:

http://www.mediafire...6p1l7zbkkc4865w

After doing that, extract quickbms.rar and open quickbms, if done right you should have this screen:

http://imageshack.us...capturesjr.png/

the load bms script screen should show in your quickbms folder, now find sonic4.bms, (If you want to edit more files, I suggest you put sonic4.bms into your quickbms folder) and the screen should look like this:

http://imageshack.us...capture2ch.png/

It now asks you to select input/archives files, you want to go to your Sonic 4 folder, then go into your G_COM folder, then to your PLY folder, and select SONIC_TEX.AMB.

Now, select your OUTPUT folder and press Save. make a folder called something you will remember like "sonic" or "sonic_tex" or "out" or whatever you want to name it. press Save, then it should say "# files exported in 0 seconds" press ENTER, it should exit out.

Now, open the Sonic textures (which are .DDS files) in GIMP 2.0 with .DDS Plugin installed, and make a texture and save it. DO NOT REIMPORT IT YET! QUICKBMS WILL SAY THE FILESIZE IS TOO LARGE!!!

Your texture filesize is 1.00 MB. That's where we use Paint(dot)Net. Open your .DDS texture file that you made in GIMP in Paint.NET and press Save (Ctrl+S) it should show you the preview of your texture and it should say "Filesize: 128.1 KB". Press OK.

Go to your quickbms folder, double-click on the reimport shortcut, do the same thing for quickbms except that AFTER YOU selected the sonic4.bms script. Select Sonic_TEX.AMB, then it should ask for your output folder, select your .dds texture files and it should say "reimported files in 0 seconds.

Now, open up Sonic 4 and start having fun with your new texture!!!!

everyone was an idiot and didn't figure it out yet, I guess I have to explain how to repack amb files.

To my understanding, that isn't the problem. People don't want texture hacks, they want model swaps, stage edits, physics changes like we've got for Generations PC

Ezodagrom even said they could Unpack and repack AMB files, the problem is editing what's inside

At this point it's possible to unpack and repack AMB files

Edited by Rawrdom
  • Thumbs Up 1

Since darksupersponge said the paint(dot)net software can open .dds files without making filesize larger and since everyone was an idiot and didn't figure it out yet, I guess I have to explain how to repack amb files.

Now, open up Sonic 4 and start having fun with your new texture!!!!

Do you even fucking read?

Thats just textures, the other files for physics and all that are different and more complicated types. we know how to repack textures, sfx, music and such so no thanks you don't need to if you really don't want to.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

To my understanding, that isn't the problem. People don't want texture hacks, they want model swaps, stage edits, physics changes like we've got for Generations PC

Ezodagrom even said they could Unpack and repack AMB files, the problem is editing what's inside

I wasn't saying just textures that was just an example and FYI, it was about REPACKING AMB FILES, and if you can't edit what's inside them, well that's just TOO FUCKING BAD!

• Thumbs Up 1

All of you cut it out. You guys should try reading your posts out loud to yourself sometimes, you really sound like children right now.

• Thumbs Up 6

Jesus, what's all this about? I just figured out about this topic and it's an all out slugfest...

Anyway, I just got into modding my pc games so what character/stage mods are available?