Awoo.

Games many people love that you hate

Solid SOAP

kirby64.jpg

I played this as a kid and loved it, I've always been a huge Kirby fan since Super Star and greatly anticipated this as a kid, and have many fond memories. However, years later, I decided to pick it up on the Virtual Console once again, as I do remember enjoying it greatly. To my surprise, unfortunately, I was disgusted at how poorly it's aged. Kirby controls like a brick, he's extremely stiff and doesn't carry much momentum in his movement. The powers, although great in quantity, are lacking in depth, thus are a downgrade from Super Star and previous entries. Your powers are basically limited to one or two attacks at the absolute most, and aren't fun to use, as opposed to the awesome powers from Super Star and newer games with a bunch of different combos and such to keep things fresh.

The visuals and graphics department is a different story, however. The soundtrack is one of the best in the franchise, and the game is a joy to look at, even today. Something I still love about the visuals is how, despite its 2D roots, the game's levels take place in a 3D world that looks like it could be explored and traversed. Levels are appear different and with tons of details to them, they definitely tried to make this an appealing game to look and watch. It's a shame, because the game just isn't very fun to play, and falls very short of just about every other Kirby game I've played. Many seem to like this game and enjoyed it as a kid, but I just don't at all. Post your controversial gaming opinions here.

• Thumbs Up 2

Jet Set Radio Future.

Whilst the original is one of my favourite games of all time, Jet Set Radio Future is one of the worst games I've ever had to suffer through. Seriously, it's like they took everything that made the original fun, threw it out the window and broke it, taped back 30% of the broken remains and padded out the rest of it by amplifying the problems with the original game.

The original was vibrant, lively and had a hectic arcade-style feel to it. You had a time limit, and after you tagged too many spots, the police would start chasing you. JSRF just looks visually dull in comparison (lots of dull greys, greens and oranges), and the general gameplay has just been fragmented. Police encounters only happen in scripted, enclosed areas. The time limit's gone and graffiti has been simplified to a single button press. Adding insult to injury, the level design is just plain bad; areas are stupidly frustrating to navigate, with graffiti spots often tucked away in really high up, hard-to-reach places that require precision platforming, grinding and jumping that the game's engine just isn't built to cope with very well. It's pretty bad level design if, when you fall on the way to one graffiti spot, it can take you five minutes just to get back to it (and likely fall again). Yes, the original had some of this, but generally only in later levels, and nowhere near as frequently- JSRF just feels like a huge, frustrating disappointment from start to finish.

I wanted to like it out of a love for the original. Hell, I forced myself to play through the whole thing out of devotion to the 'franchise'. I hoped it'd get better, but it just didn't. It's an agonising game that's average at best, and that's not very often.

The odd thing is that I've only ever come across literally one or two others out there who share this opinion. Most JSR fans seem to like both games fairly equally or have a slight preference for the original over the sequel. You'll get a few who've only played the sequel (or played it first) and thus prefer it over the original, but they seem to be in the minority. Personally, I just outright can't stand it. It's a terrible, clunky mess of a game and a complete insult to the original. It's not 'broken' in a Sonic 06 sense, I feel it's just a genuinely bad game- horrid level design and similarly awful gameplay choices. How they could get a Jet Set Radio sequel so wrong after the brilliance of the original is beyond me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Call of Duty

Well I don't actually hate it, I just thunk it's a rather so-so franchise. Damn near every game is a carbon copy of the original, with the only difference being each game is set during a different war and you get a couple of new guns but that's it.

And I absolutely despise how most people I know act like each game is hand crafted by god himself and then try and call you "lame" or in some rare cases "gay" if you dot like COD. Burns me up.

• Thumbs Up 1

Team Fortress 2.

(Gasps and cluttering to silence in the resturant)

Actually it frustrates me because I love the universe and characters, but I just cannot get into the gameplay. It's too frantic, I never know what the hell is going on. Even playing against Easy computer players in the (appreciated but still not good enough for me apparently) offline practice mode they added I do very mediocrely on. On that same note, every TF2 video I see - EVERY one, players seem to be so efficient. They know exactly where they're going and they react to stuff SO fast, always switching weapons and aiming and shooting near perfectly... Seemingly so anyway. I find it mad to watch. And, as mentioned when praising Left 4 Dead in the 30 Day Challenge, I just can't get into games without any real structure. You just play endless random matches unlocking stuff to use until you get bored and quit. Not my thing at all.

I have had some fun social time on TF2 with friends, but I was still confused as hell the entire time.

It's funny because I'm not even THAT bad at shooters. I've beaten Expert on Left 4 Dead and Survival on BioShock (the PS3-exclusive "even harder than hard" mode - and that was using a controller of course). But throw me up against human opponents in a fast-paced game where they can shoot me back just as well and I'm pants.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 2

Call of Duty

I don't really hate the game, I'm just not into First Person Shooters that much, and every game is basically a carbon copy of the other except it's a different war and it has different weapons.

I also have a problem with the fans, not the people who like Call of Duty, the people that call you names or make fun of you because you don't like the games and say "Call of Duty is the BEST videogame EVER." (Not saying anything about people who are fans of Call of Duty, just saying things about the fans that bash every other game and say this game is the best and if you don't like it you're a loser or some insult along the lines of that.)

Edited by WhiteandNerdy-Hedgehog

Call of Duty

I don't really hate the game, I'm just not into First Person Shooters that much, and every game is basically a carbon copy of the other except it's a different war and it has different weapons.

I also have a problem with the fans, not the people who like Call of Duty, the people that call you names or make fun of you because you don't like the games and say "Call of Duty is the BEST videogame EVER." (Not saying anything about people who are fans of Call of Duty, just saying things about the fans that bash every other game and say this game is the best and if you don't like it you're a loser or some insult along the lines of that.)

Edited by Dark Energon Johnny

Call of Duty is going to be mentioned 90 times in this thread.

The game that I think is vastly overrated is Fallout.

It is a good game and everything, but it plays way too much like a standard FPS. Yes, there are a thousand quest, but even Rage made use of the Quest system and have the mechanics of a FPS. I also don't like how reputably standard it is. You can't run. I would absolutely love it if the Agility Stat actual did what it was entailed to do. Didn't Bethesda make Brink and are working on Prey 2? Why not bring those mechanics over to Fallout? I also hate the environment because it is so typical of the post-apocalyptic world. I would love for a more Urban environment like in Fallout 3.

I guess I just expect FPS shooters to implement movement like in Mirror's Edge.

Bioshock.

I don’t hate it that much, and I love the setting and atmosphere, but after playing a bit of System Shock 2, I found that Bioshock is the exact same game, only much easier. In SS2, you had to find the ‘vita-chambers’ first before using them and they required money to work. You didn't have enough cash? Then you're dead. I hope you saved. You had to repair and maintain weapons or they would jam and eventually break. The skills system was actually important, you didn't start with hacking? Then getting it will be expensive, and you'll have to find another way past the security systems otherwise. You also had to be careful with the equivalent of tonics, since which ones you picked were a permanent and rare choice. It all just sort of dampened my feelings on Bioshock’s gameplay. The plots are also a little too similar, but I won’t say why in case people don’t want to be spoiled in either game.

I'm kind of glad BioShock did go the more simple route with the gameplay personally. I absoloutely loved it the game, both gameplay and story. After trying System Shock 2 I just found it mindbogglingly complex for my tastes. If BioShock had been like that, I - and I imagine many others - would have never got to experience the intoxicating story and universe.

SONICDSONICDSONICDSONICDSONICMOTHERF*UCKINGCD

I hate the clunky level design, I hate the sluggish paced gameplay, I hate the un-helpfull and un-intuitive timetravel mechanic, I hate how short it is, love the music, and I hate the superficial excuse of a "reward" the game gives you for achieving all the objectives.

• Thumbs Up 3

@Soap - Strangely, I felt the same way. o_O I remember really liking it as a kid, got it on VC, then... it wasn't fun anymore :X

@-Mark- - D; Sadface, because I actually like JSRF waaaaaaay more than the original. Though I suppose I can understand why one would dislike the sequel...

Also, I can't think of anything beyond Kirby 64 at the moment. Perhaps I should go to sleep... xD

EDIT: Er I guess...Chrono Trigger, but I just think I wasn't in the right mood for an RPG when I gave it a shot... Though the battle system was weird to me... which reminds me that I don't like Final Fantasy due to the combat system. And for some reason that reminded me of Metal Gear Solid, because I thought I'd love it, and the story was so whack that I thought it was incredible, but then I realized the game was largely stealth based, which reminded me of the OoT stealth thing in the desert...which I didn't like. XD; Nothing against these games personally, they just weren't my thing I suppose.

(to clarify, I just meant MGS's stealth thing reminded me of the Thieves' hideout thing in OoT, not that I didn't like OoT, I just didn't like that mission, luls. And yes that's the best example of stealth gameplay that I can give from my experience.)

Edited by Aptiva

I'm kind of glad BioShock did go the more simple route with the gameplay personally. I absoloutely loved it the game, both gameplay and story. After trying System Shock 2 I just found it mindbogglingly complex for my tastes. If BioShock had been like that, I - and I imagine many others - would have never got to experience the intoxicating story and universe.

Oh, boy. Um.....well, I've never said this on the internet before.....I'm probably gonna get torn to shreds for this, but.....heregoes.

Kingdom Hearts.

I just don't see the appeal. I love Disney, but mixing it with Final Fantasy? What? I'm all for new and weird ideas, but I just can't stand most recent Square Enix characters. They're mostly whiny, effeminate, depressing, and poorly written. On top of that, I just couldn't get into the fighting system. It's like if God of War limited the moves to one button and left the rest to menu-based spells. I will say this though: the music is phenomenal.

But EVERYONE loves this game. I'm honestly baffled by its popularity. I almost never see anyone on the internet who dislikes it, and I only personally know like one or two people who feel the same way I do. Maybe I'm missing something, idunno. But there you go. Flame shield activated. Bring it on.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic Colors, Resident Evil 5 and Pokemon Battle Revolution.

Let me start with Colors...it's an inconsistent Sonic game, while there are some speed sections, most of the game focuses on stopping at some point to use wisp powers...not to mention the stages were short, but felt LONG due to the use of such powers...and it's just a watered down unleashed. That's all.

RE5, while I'm not really into the RE series that much, I loved the fourth title, it's what got me into this, I bought the 5th one in hopes of a terrifying experience, but didn't get it...the game felt harder to control, it was daytime in almost all of the levels which doesn't contribute to the horror experience, and the story just wasn't interesting...the game was just a copy of RE4 turned into mostly an action game. RE6 looks very promising though.

Pokemon Battle Revolution, do I need to explain? the gamecube titles put a step forward since they were no longer stadium titles but an RPG, despite all the complaints they get, they are RPGs regardless...and they do not depend on you owning a GBA game for you to enjoy...then on the Wii we have PBR, a step backwards...it's s stadium title with pretty graphics and little else...and owning a DS game is mandatory if you want to clear the game without having your head explode.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh boy, there are too many to list.

But my most hated? Final Fantasy.

They're just a bunch of generic RPG's, what's so damn special about them?

Call of duty, Skylanders, any facebook game (expect nightclub city), Spec ops : the line

I really hate COD so much because of the people who play it say its better than any game in this generation and also the company who made it KILLED the anticipated "Crash 2010" and also because their CEO is very greedy and devlish.

Skylanders, all same reasons from COD + ugly character designs and money-grabbing toy-kind DLC

any facebook game (expect nightclub city) : these games are just too casual for me but sometimes i find some of them fine to me expect any game from Zyang because it is always ends with -ville -.-

Spec ops : the line, duh, it has DUBAI which i really hate

Call of Duty, yes I know im not the first to say this but this game changed the way people see gaming forever. Like legit everyone who doesnt play video games assumes that all guys play CoD, and neglect their girlfriends because of it. Clearly everyone should've stuck to Halo and not this bullshit which is pretty much the same game everytime. As for other games well im not too big on the GTA series, I've played them and had fun but in my opinion they get old really quick. Old enough to the point where I havent beaten a single game. Saints Row pretty much usurped it in terms of sandboxxing. I hate just about every EA Sports game. ALL OF THEM!!!!!! They too are carbon copies of each other with different menu screens and music. The only sports game I rly like are Mario ones cuz they add flavor onto the standard game. If your gonna play a sports game like Madden why not watch real football or play an actual game of football.

Pokemon Battle Revolution, do I need to explain? the gamecube titles put a step forward since they were no longer stadium titles but an RPG, despite all the complaints they get, they are RPGs regardless...and they do not depend on you owning a GBA game for you to enjoy...then on the Wii we have PBR, a step backwards...it's s stadium title with pretty graphics and little else...and owning a DS game is mandatory if you want to clear the game without having your head explode.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh boy, there are too many to list.

But my most hated? Final Fantasy.

They're just a bunch of generic RPG's, what's so damn special about them?

Minecraft.

"Minecraft is great. It let's you be creative in any way you want to be!"

"I find it boring, and I don't like it."

"But if you don't like Minecraft, you're not creati"--

tevensmallversion.png

SCREW OFF!

• Thumbs Up 3

Mario Kart 64 is one game which has received almost universal adulation, but which I find to be absolutely atrocious. Perhaps it is because I am used to playing more advanced, faster-paced racing titles, or that I have played MK: Double Dash and MK: Wii, both of which were released later and were of a quicker pace, but I find the game (MK64) to be so sluggishly paced as to be unplayable. The speed at which the player moves is so slow, and feels like his (or her) kart is trapped in a quagmire, to such a degree that every time I have endeavoured to play it, I have given up in sheer frustration.

• Thumbs Up 4

Mario Kart 64 is one game which has received almost universal adulation, but which I find to be absolutely atrocious. Perhaps it is because I am used to playing more advanced, faster-paced racing titles, or that I have played MK: Double Dash and MK: Wii, both of which were released later and were of a quicker pace, but I find the game (MK64) to be so sluggishly paced as to be unplayable. The speed at which the player moves is so slow, and feels like his (or her) kart is trapped in a quagmire, to such a degree that every time I have endeavoured to play it, I have given up in sheer frustration.

• Thumbs Up 1