Awoo.

Games many people love that you hate

Solid SOAP

I'm sorry, but you button mash all you want in Arkham City and think you are the shit. Try implementing those gadgets and see how much button mash it is. Take that skill to the Riddler challenge area and see how great you are. It takes skill, timing, and shit ton of knowing what does what and who to do it to. It is not button mash. If you are button mashing, you are not trying to be great at the game and are probably getting hit a lot. And this is coming from someone who has all the challenge stages and the characters.

The Batman combat system is deeper then it looks. Attacking and countering are just the basics, to get the most out of it you need to make use of abilities, special combo attacks, and gadgets. Arkham City also throws in several new enemy types that are resistant to basic attacks and certain abilites, which puts more focus on strategy. And yes, there really is a good chunk of strategy here, especially when the challenge maps throw in some Titan monsters and big, one-armed musclemen that take forever to go down.

Anywho, the first game that comes to my mind is Beyond Good & Evil. The thing is, I really was liking it at first. It was an intriguing story and the gameplay was solid, though the level design was a bit confusing. But then it turns into a stealth game, which would be fine if it didn't feel so forced. I feel that stealth only really works when a game is completely centered around it and can introduce unique elements. Splinter Cell makes use of shadows and discourages the player from making noise, Assassin's Creed emphasizes subtlety and blending with crowds. Beyond Good & Evil just tells the player to move when an enemy isn't looking. That's it. It's as basic and generic as you can possibly get, and if you're seen you're pretty much screwed because the guards slaughter you if you try to fight them. Splinter Cell and Assassin's Creed at least let you defend yourself if you screw up. BG&E's stealth is clunky and enforces a lot of trial and error, two elements that I don't think mix very well.

There is so many for me I don't know where to begin.

I'll start of with ASSASSIN'S CREED! The biggest piece of s*** fanchise to have ever been created! I have never understood how that 1 level repeated ad infinitum padded out as repetatative has hell storyless graphicless controll less beta tech demo got the scores that it did and won awards and got 3 sequels I shall never know.

I tired the first one for 3 hours and I was bored out of my skull. The most fun I got was ripping it out of my 360 and throwing it back onto my brothers bed as I had borrowed his copy.

Umm...I'm getting the distinct impression that you have only tried the first game of the series. If so, then how can you even pretend to know how the other three games are? There's a reason so many people don't like the first but love the rest of them. It's kind of like watching Star Wars Episode 1 and then refusing to look at anything else Star Wars ever again. (I'm not actually equating AC1's quality with Phantom Menace's, but it's the same philosophy)

Edited by Speederino

^ See, here's the thing. I'm sorry, I don't want to offend but I just can't take someone seriously when they essentially say every popular game is overrated and/or shit, can't be bothered to try things for themselves, and just generally come off as being extremely negative and, frankly, immature. It just reeks of the "hating popular things is cool" mentality.

The first game was a mess, the second I herd had 17 major bugs in it.

It has the most stupidest moronic inanae premise ever for a game. That some guy in the present thinks he is an Assassin in a previous life. Holly hells. Whoever came up with that should be kicked out of gaming.

Wow, nothing here is even remotely true, particularly the part in bold.

Edited by Speederino

There was like one bug I remember coming across in AC 2, and all I had to do was reset. It happened once. ACR has this hilarious invincible guard glitch, though. Kill the same guy forever.

There was like one bug I remember coming across in AC 2, and all I had to do was reset. It happened once. ACR has this hilarious invincible guard glitch, though. Kill the same guy forever.

I can't remember seeing any bugs in any of the three AC sequels, save Brotherhood's annoying parachute glitch. Though I did have a really weird one towards the end of AC1. During the battle of Arsuf, there were two Altairs and I kept falling through the floor. I'm pretty sure that was patched, thankfully blink.png

...You're complaining about Cash Cash as a reason Gens sucks, where the singer is in one song, but like Colors, where the credits forces you to listen to two of their songs in full?

Yeah, I don't get it either. :\ Not that I'm complaining cause I liked the ending theme during the credits and their remixes.

Everyone seems to think the Grand Theft Auto games are genius, and I'll admit they're fun for a while, but eventually they just become monotonous to me and end up on my shelf collecting dust. I've had a lot of fun with the San Andreas multiplayer but it's been hard to get into the series, especially after they removed all the good cheats in GTA4.

I also will never, for the life of me, understand what everyone loves about the characters. Despite how well-acted Rockstar games are, the writing is usually pretty uninspired to me, and I'll never see what people find so endearing or even redeemable about the protagonists. Why are we rooting for Niko Belic and CJ again? Because they're the best at running over little old ladies and ruining family's lives?

I know that's over-analyzing stuff and that the point is to have fun, but the only thing fun about GTA for me is just dicking around, preferably with a friend.

Team Fortress 2.

Actually it frustrates me because I love the universe and characters, but I just cannot get into the gameplay. It's too frantic, I never know what the hell is going on. Even playing against Easy computer players in the (appreciated but still not good enough for me apparently) offline practice mode they added I do very mediocrely on. On that same note, every TF2 video I see - EVERY one, players seem to be so efficient. They know exactly where they're going and they react to stuff SO fast, always switching weapons and aiming and shooting near perfectly... Seemingly so anyway. I find it mad to watch. And, as mentioned when praising Left 4 Dead in the 30 Day Challenge, I just can't get into games without any real structure. You just play endless random matches unlocking stuff to use until you get bored and quit. Not my thing at all.

I have had some fun social time on TF2 with friends, but I was still confused as hell the entire time.

It's funny because I'm not even THAT bad at shooters. I've beaten Expert on Left 4 Dead and Survival on BioShock (the PS3-exclusive "even harder than hard" mode - and that was using a controller of course). But throw me up against human opponents in a fast-paced game where they can shoot me back just as well and I'm pants.

This is saddening to read, both as a big TF2 fan and someone who regularly gets freaking BODIED in videogames. I can totally empathize with not being able to get into a game I want to play because I'm struggling at it.

It sucks, because TF2 is a great game that I think everyone should be playing. It's certainly not linear, but I think it can be structured in most game modes; it's just about everyone organizing their efforts. If you feel like you're bad at TF2, you should have seen me when I started playing. I was, in a word, junk. I also felt like it was too fast, like I couldn't keep up and like everyone else knew what they were doing better than I did, but believe me when I say that if you play it long enough the game slows down a lot. A car moving at 60mph may look fast when you're standing still, but when you're driving on the same road it doesn't seem that fast at all.

I recommend jumping into a game and trying it again some time, preferably as an easier class like Soldier, Medic or Heavy. You can't get a grip on everything without practice.

Also, whenever you watch videos the people seem perfect? I'm sure if you're watching frag videos they do, but most players are far, FAR from perfect. A lot of people consider me to be a good player- not competitive level, but quite a bit better than the average, but that still doesn't mean I'm incapable of sucking hard.

Again, I'm not saying all this because I'm trying to defend TF2, but because I don't want to see someone not play for that reason. sad.png If you really like the universe and characters I think you'd grow to like the game as a whole.

Let me tell you how much I loathe and detest that shit as hell franchise Assassin's Crap. In Soul Calibur 5 some retarded moron thought it would be a good idea to put Ezio in the game. Now I hate LInk right but I still bought the Gamecube version of Soul Calibur 2 despite him being in it but there is NO WAY IN HELL I am buying SCV. After 11 glorious years SC is now dead to me.

Batman Arkham Asylum was a trully awful game. I found it tedious, boring, dull and totally repetataive and as short as hell.

Okay, I'm no fan of Assassin's Creed, so I'm not jumping to its defense, but I really have to say, the way you're trying to present your argument is juvenile. I don't want to seem like I'm wagging my finger here, but how can you spend so much energy hating something? You should really tone down your language a bit and chill out.

1193901098610244_l.gif

• Thumbs Up 4

Dude, seriously. Calm the hell down, it's just a bad game. It's not like it actually physically harmed you or anything. I kind of doubt it emotionally harmed you either.

Edited by Crow T. Robot
  • Thumbs Up 3

Here is one for you, I couldn''t believe it when one day my 11 nephew (the age he was at the time) brought round his PSP and he was playing SAN ANDREAS! My jaw hit the floor.

I had no idea San Andreas was out on PSP, so I guess your 11 year old nephew had knowledge of how to hack his system.

But in any case, I really don't care about Assasin's Creed, why you have such disdain for it, what your brother thought of it, or how your weekend went when you played it. You're being irrational. If you don't like the game, you can express that, but you aren't even acting civilized about it. I don't understand what is so traumatic about a bad game (or rather, a game you didn't like) that you have to talk about it and insult it like it wronged you somehow.

Again, I don't like to preach, but getting this pissed off over something like this is not constructive or healthy. Bringing that rage here by just going to town and bashing a game with such strong (and unusual) statements like "the story was crap as hell" or "the graphics were rank rotten" and "biggest piece of shit franchise to ever be created" (you can curse here by the way, just try to do it in moderation) is not appreciated or respected by anyone. Anywhere.

CHILL. OUT.

Back on topic now.

I completely forgot about GTA. How did I forget how much I hate those games?

Because if you're not a fan of games like GTA, then once you put them down you forget about them pretty quick.

I guess that's my biggest complaint; I dislike GTA mostly because outside of a few bits, it never leaves an impression on me. Whenever I would get done playing, I never really felt like I'd done anything. I just sat around while time passed.

It's the worst way to experience a game. A really bad game would leave an impression, but GTA is usually just forgettable. Unless you're a fan, that is.

Edited by Solly
  • Thumbs Up 3

*Ignores the absurdity going on above*

I don't care for the Grand Theft Auto series. The only one I found enjoyable was the fourth, and even that I got bored of quickly enough. I couldn't stand San Andreas; everything was so bloody orange during the day, to the point where I couldn't tell what anything was. I may have been able to change my tv's settings to fix that, but I couldn't do the same for the game's shoddy controls.

I like sandbox games. I just think GTA games are some of the worst in the genre. It's odd too, because I loved Bully.

250px-Kirby_%26_the_Amazing_Mirror.jpg

To me, this is one of the most fundamentally flawed Nintendo games in existance.

Hah! And here I am considering that game an example of one of the most well designed games in existence. Definitely not because it's intuitive or anything—hell no, the map and the connectivity between levels is complex and confusing as hell—but once you play it enough (or, in my case, 100% it twice. unsure.png) you eventually get a feel for the patterns the insane guy who designed the map put into the game and it becomes really, really fun.

Essentially, the map is designed as a three-by-three grid of nine worlds, all fully interconnected. Generally, the centre of the grid is easiest, and the "edges" of the grid are the hardest. There is absolutely no such thing as "linearity" in this game—if you know what you're doing, you can get to the final levels within maybe twenty minutes from starting the game for the first time. The complete lack of direction is daunting, and I can certainly see why some people wouldn't like it, but it allows for some awesome things like starting on one level, crossing over to the end of another level, and playing through the new level backward. In fact, you have to play through some levels backward (and the rest completely out-of-order) if you try to beat the game with any sort of efficiency.

(This is one of the reasons for the one-way doors you mentioned in your post. Without them, the game would be utterly broken, instead of just nonsensically non-linear.)

So why do I call this game "well-designed" even though it verges on seeming like it was designed by throwing darts at a wall sometimes? Well, for one, other than the Kirby gameplay and platforming itself being fun, the way they designed the "spiralling difficulty" (as I call it) means that somehow, despite making the game so open-ended that even a first-time player is able to play it completely out of order, the game still achieves a clear and gradual difficulty curve. Second, good level design and expert use of one-way doors means that if you play it long enough, you'll eventually be forced onto a path the leads to the next world or boss. Even if you never even touch the map or just wander aimlessly, the game manages to push you in the right direction if you get too lost.

Of course, getting to that point means wandering aimlessly for a while, so, again, I can see why some people wouldn't like the game. I love it, though.

This is saddening to read, both as a big TF2 fan and someone who regularly gets freaking BODIED in videogames. I can totally empathize with not being able to get into a game I want to play because I'm struggling at it.

It sucks, because TF2 is a great game that I think everyone should be playing. It's certainly not linear, but I think it can be structured in most game modes; it's just about everyone organizing their efforts. If you feel like you're bad at TF2, you should have seen me when I started playing. I was, in a word, junk. I also felt like it was too fast, like I couldn't keep up and like everyone else knew what they were doing better than I did, but believe me when I say that if you play it long enough the game slows down a lot. A car moving at 60mph may look fast when you're standing still, but when you're driving on the same road it doesn't seem that fast at all.

I recommend jumping into a game and trying it again some time, preferably as an easier class like Soldier, Medic or Heavy. You can't get a grip on everything without practice.

Also, whenever you watch videos the people seem perfect? I'm sure if you're watching frag videos they do, but most players are far, FAR from perfect. A lot of people consider me to be a good player- not competitive level, but quite a bit better than the average, but that still doesn't mean I'm incapable of sucking hard.

Again, I'm not saying all this because I'm trying to defend TF2, but because I don't want to see someone not play for that reason. sad.png If you really like the universe and characters I think you'd grow to like the game as a whole.

Well that's another thing though, all the story happens in the spin-off media, so in terms of liking the universe and characters there's actually not much I'm missing out on by not playing. D=

At the end of the day even the most linear modes on TF2 (closest I came to really enjoying was Payload) still feel more like "sport" than an experience like most single player games and, my preferred choice, Left 4 Dead is.

For the record I did actually exclusively play as Medic (unless dicking about on a small server with friends where they just weren't necessary) because he was the easiest class. Soldier I couldn't get into because all my rockets were just airblasted back at me by Pyros and slow, powerful characters like Heavy just don't suit me.

I know it's a fun game and I get enjoyment out of simply reading about the maps etc, but yeah. According to Steam I put over 11 hours into it total which, probably doesn't feel like much compared to the playtime of most people, but I think 11 hours is a pretty solid amount of time to be able to judge whether you want to keep playing a game.

...That and I don't have the hard drive space to reinstall it anyway. D= Lol.

Edited by JezMM

Guys, you aren't freakin' any better by spamming it up with "OH DIS GON' BE GOOD" and "I warned you!".

Anyway, speaking of another game everyone loves that I just don't like very much. Silent Hill. The atmosphere and story is great but, I just can't stand playing through it because, the game controls and gameplay are so damn bad.

Edited by Crow T. Robot
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh would you fucktards stop it. If you have unsettled, moronic, business elsewhere, go take it elsewhere, since we don't deal with bullshit here. The thing that's bugging me actually is how people are getting pissed at a person expressing his opinon in the fucking topic about games you hate that people love. You don't think there is going to be a person that hates popular games? That's basically what this topic is!

• Thumbs Up 4

Oh would you fucktards stop it. If you have unsettled, moronic, business elsewhere, go take it elsewhere, since we don't deal with bullshit here. The thing that's bugging me actually is how people are getting pissed at a person expressing his opinon in the fucking topic about games you hate that people love. You don't think there is going to be a person that hates popular games? That's basically what this topic is!

I get the feeling that that's not what pisses people off, but I won't say anymore since I've already had my fair share of hoggy-related drama..

It's nothing to do with the games, it's about his reputation on SEGA Forums, and how he reacts to things like this. It always ends the same, and I was making a playful joke, but oh wait, I forgot that's not allowed here (in this sort of case).

But whatever, I'll probably be kicked in the mouth and told "Get on your knees bitch" just for this (since I've seen how things work here) so I think it'd be best if I just left this thread before I say something stupid and get shot by SSMB's loyalists.

Besides, it was a bad idea to take things off-topic to begin with, so my bad.

Edited by Gaming Misfit

I get the feeling that that's not what pisses people off, but I won't say anymore since I've already had my fair share of hoggy-related drama..

I know it's his extreme negativity toward a lot of games, and even singling out an entire company. Of course I disagree with many of his statements on his original post, but there's just no need to get pissy or go "OH HERE WE GO, THIS GUY COMON AMIRITE." It's his opinion, in a topic about opinions, XD.

It's nothing to do with the games, it's about his reputation on SEGA Forums, and how he reacts to things like this. It always ends the same, and I was making a playful joke, but oh wait, I forgot that's not allowed here (in this sort of case).

But whatever, I'll probably be kicked in the mouth and told "Get on your knees bitch" just for this (since I've seen how things work here) so I think it'd be best if I just left this thread before I say something stupid and get shot by SSMB's loyalists.

Besides, it was a bad idea to take things off-topic to begin with, so my bad.

And whoa, hey, the hell is this for. The fact that we don't tolerate bashing on members is something I find simple and fair enough, so you can get off your knees now. It's not a little joke, because this guy has been dealt shit before he even did anything here. Does he have rep at other places? Sure. Do we monitor the entire internet? No lawl. I made a status update last night about letting people make their actions here. From what I've seen, he's defending his opinion because he doesn't like something. May his reasons seem totally crazy to you? That's your opinion, but no need to go off on the guy.

Anyways, we should just get back to the topic and understand peoples' opinons. It's a topic about opinions anyway.

• Thumbs Up 3

Ummm...okay then. O_o Moving on~

elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion-box-art.jpg

Is this game really that great? No, no it isn't. I played this about half a year ago, got all the achievements for it and I still can't understand why it gets so much love and attention after all those years. Whyyy?

The graphics, besides the enviroments, are horrible. Character designs are so atrocious it makes me cringe, such as putty faced Uriel Septim and the pig faced Imperial guard. Voice acting is also pretty bad, except for Sean Bean and Patrick Stewart of course. It sounds like they only had about 4 voice actors for the whole game and it's hilarious when I'm talking to two men standing close together and they have exactly the same tone of voice and even dialogue! At least Fallout 3 and Skyrim had a bit more variety with voices. Don't even get me started on gameplay! It's really, really clunky and dull. Even when I was fighting an important character in the storyline or guilds it was so boring and it was a matter of slashing him/her non-stop whilst defending. Yes I know you can do magic, but I'm no magic user in RPG's.

The only things I like about this game are the nice enviroments, the voice acting of Sean Bean (<3) and Patrick Stewart, and the brilliant soundtrack! Other than that though...I would much rather play Skyrim. =I

Edited by Gabz Girl

Ummm...okay then. O_o Moving on~

elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion-box-art.jpg

Is this game really that great? No, no it isn't. I played this about half a year ago, got all the achievements for it and I still can't understand why it gets so much love and attention after all those years. Whyyy?

The graphics, besides the enviroments, are horrible. Character designs are so atrocious it makes me cringe, such as putty faced Uriel Septim and the pig faced Imperial guard. Voice acting is also pretty bad, except for Sean Bean and Patrick Stewart of course. It sounds like they only had about 4 voice actors for the whole game and it's hilarious when I'm talking to two men standing close together and they have exactly the same tone of voice and even dialogue! At least Fallout 3 and Skyrim had a bit more variety with voices. Don't even get me started on gameplay! It's really, really clunky and dull. Even when I was fighting an important character in the storyline or guilds it was so boring and it was a matter of slashing him/her non-stop whilst defending. Yes I know you can do magic, but I'm no magic user in RPG's.

The only things I like about this game are the nice enviroments, the voice acting of Sean Bean (<3) and Patrick Stewart, and the brilliant soundtrack! Other than that though...I would much rather play Skyrim. =I

I liked Oblivion, but I felt like this for Morrowind. The graphics in Morrowind gave me motion sickness, which I don't usually ever get X_x. Well, I also go motion sickness in Oblivion, but only when I used the Night Eye thing in caves. the amount of bright blue mixed with the graphics and blur made me want to puke everytime I moved the character, so I just stopped using it, XD.