Awoo.

King Frosty

I remember always getting lost in the levels and the hub worlds. Didn't really like it, it was weird too how Sonic accelerated so fast while jumping.

I don't think it's so much hated as it is just so awkward to play with. I used to like it but I think it's because I saw getting hit with random enemies as "difficult" instead of "frustrating". Now that I have new expectations, the game is far worse than it was originally. It's certainly playable, and if there's nothing else I would play it, but the predecesors are better, with Advance 1 in my eyes being the best.

Before reading this thread I would agree with you. But the sheer amount of hatred and repeated comparisons of this game to fecal matter make me wonder just what the heck happened when they sat down to play it. I don't mind people thinking this game is bad, but that it's the worst game of the series is just way too far. I mean...it's playable.

Yes, we seriously do have unplayable games in the Sonic video game library, and this is not one of those.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd understand that if most of the posts regarding it weren't so surprisingly vicious. Some of them border on 2006-fury.

Before reading this thread I would agree with you. But the sheer amount of hatred and repeated comparisons of this game to fecal matter make me wonder just what the heck happened when they sat down to play it. I don't mind people thinking this game is bad, but that it's the worst game of the series is just way too far. I mean...it's playable.

Yes, we seriously do have unplayable games in the Sonic video game library, and this is not one of those.

>mfw people are taking a game review done by rewriting South Park song lyrics completely seriously:

130586359447.png

And by the way, this thread is tame compared to others that have covered the game. In fact, I'm not sure, but I'm fairly certain that the thread was at least partially made so I could have fun with it.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 2

After going back to replay the entire game again, I definitely am beginning to see why people dislike this game. The badnik, bottomless pit, spike and object placement are probably the worst in the series. When the FIRST LEVEL IN THE GAME sends you hurtling into spikes and enemies with no time to react you know something is wrong. Also, the bosses are lame (boss theme is awesome though), in particular the Twinkle Snow boss. That thing can DIE IN A FIRE.

And yet overall, I still found the game fairly enjoyable. No where near as fun as I found it years ago when I played it, but still somewhat fun.

My opinion of SA3 is kind of odd. I think it's easily the weakest of the Advance series however it's the one I love to replay the most. While SA1 is the most faithful Advance game the to the Genesis era it feels less like a legitimate successor and more like a compilation of the best level tropes. SA2 feels the same aside from trying some new level thems but designs every stage like Chemical plant and adds a ridiculous Emerald collection mechanic.

SA3 however, while having most of the same flaws as SA2 as well as new ones with the physics, remains the most replayable for me due the to team up feature. I feel it adds a whole new level of varity when exploring the stages that make it a rare, unique experience for a Sonic game, playing less like an Advance title and more like a more polished version of Knuckles Chaotix.

Edited by BatGuy

Well I ought to state my opinion here and say....

1320824082242.jpg

I finally got the chance to post that...

What I like about it is that its a balance of speed and platforming something that its predecessor lacked, which was more or less holding down Right. Also I do like the character combos that give each one a different moveset.The levels were pretty creative. And finally it has pretty catchy music. But it does have its flaws.

The teamwork was a bit weak, at least compared to Heroes. The other character will die and never be seen again until you finish the stage and you really don't need the side characters for anything other than a large height boost. The stage design is somewhat bad, its more on the average side. The music didn't deserve to go through the half assed GBA speakers. And finally those Chao are hard to find but that could be said about any emerald hunting thing.

I'm a bit surprised that its gotten pretty bad hate though. D: I do admit it has flaws (what doesn't?) but its not on par with the worst of the series.

• Thumbs Up 2

All this hate makes me want to play it more. =w= I have the first two, I need to complete the collection.

Wish I wasn't lacking in money. >.>

• Thumbs Up 1

All this hate makes me want to play it more. =w=

I think I'm going to start playing it now just in spite of all the hate from this topic. :P

• Thumbs Up 4

I emulated it briefly, stopped way early into it, If only because it was really confusing to me.

>mfw people are taking a game review done by rewriting South Park song lyrics completely seriously:

130586359447.png

And by the way, this thread is tame compared to others that have covered the game. In fact, I'm not sure, but I'm fairly certain that the thread was at least partially made so I could have fun with it.

I wasn't talking about you. I'm smarter than that.

I was talking about every other post comparing it to the spawn of Lucifer.

Advance 3 is my favorite advance game as well. I understand the complaints but I really like the music and atmosphere of it. (plays advance 3)

I emulated it briefly, stopped way early into it, If only because it was really confusing to me.

How so? The hub worlds are tiny, the stage progression isn't exactly complex and the levels, whilst quite non linear, are very hard to get lost in.

It's not hard at all to navigate through the stage, but it's very annoying.

The level design would probably be great if you took out all the enemies and spikes.

I give it a plus for not making you play the game 4 (or 5) different times like the others. No, I don't want to collect the damn chaos emeralds with another character just to unlock the Chao Garden or some other shit, thank you very much SA2. I surely don't want to play as ALL the characters to unlock the real ending. And for that, I thank SA3.

I also enjoyed the team mechanics, but I wished the level design supported them instead of being a gigantic mess. The team mechanics made it feel like there were 20 different characters to choose from, even though most of the changed abilities were useless, it was still a cool concept to me. And I felt like the special stages weren't as hard to get to as SA2's were (I've had that game for almost 6 years now and only went to the special stages maybe three times, each time I failed to get it) and I manage to collect all the chao and chaos emeralds successfully (but it took way too damn long because I didn't have a guide).

The story is almost not even there. Hell, I still don't know the plot to any of the SA games except the second one since Unleashed ripped it off kind of. And Sonic Advance is one of my favorite games, I still don't know what was happening. I loved the final boss and Chaos Angel though. It felt so climatic and Chaos Angel (along with Music Plant and Egg Rocket) is the reason I wished Generations 3DS remade Advance stages as well as Rush and Colors DS. Overall, I think the game is slightly below average. It has many flaws but I don't think they make the game absolutely unplayable. I still enjoy it from time to time.

I know I'm not the only loser who saw SA3 and instantly thought it was another Sonic Adventure 3 topic.....am I?

How so? The hub worlds are tiny, the stage progression isn't exactly complex and the levels, whilst quite non linear, are very hard to get lost in.

The whole team mechanic baffles me, as I have no idea how to use it.

Didn't care for this one much. I feel Sonic Advance 2 laid the foundation for ruining handheld Sonic, and Sonic Rush Cemented it. This was just a step up from Sonic Advance 2, but with some poorly done team mechanic. Really they should have just had switching off, like the hack, Sonic 2: Heroes.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's really sad that Advance 3 is likely to have been the last sprite-based Sonic game. It may be a pretty bad game, but at least it was truly 2D. It's a graphical style pretty much lost now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Which sucks, because when you look at games like Wario Land: Shake it!!, it's easy to see that games these days could have some truly amazing hand drawn looks to them.

• Thumbs Up 3

The whole team mechanic baffles me, as I have no idea how to use it.

Maybe an explanation will help then?

Basically you have your two characters, the main and the partner. The main you control, the partner follows. Pretty self explanatory there. If you hold down the R button the partner can be attracted to the main character and once the main grabs the partner, you can do a team specific action depending on who your partner is. The action also differs if your in the air:

Sonic as partner:

Ground - Boost (automatically puts the character into max speed run)

Air - Boost

Tails as partner:

Ground - Super jump

Air - Flight

Knuckles as partner:

Ground - Kick Knuckles forward (this can be used to break walls that other characters normally can't)

Air - Glide

Cream as partner:

Ground - Chao Helper (Cheese transforms into a helper Chao for the main character and takes on their appearance too, allowing the main character to attack with Cheese for a period of time)

Air - Chao Helper

Amy as partner:

Ground - Hammer Jump

Air - Air Hammer Jump

In addition to this, the partner also changes the basic attributes and techniques of the main character. For example, having Sonic as the partner will give the other characters a general speed boost and access to their maximum "boost" speed which they normally wouldn't have access to. Or having Amy as the partner will mean the main character will not do a spin jump and their primary attack will be with a hammer.

Make any more sense?

Which sucks, because when you look at games like Wario Land: Shake it!!, it's easy to see that games these days could have some truly amazing hand drawn looks to them.

One of the many reasons why Rayman Origins got so much love.

• Thumbs Up 2