Awoo.

Back to the Future

Dr. Mechano

photo.jpg

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need... roads."

Back to the Future is one of my favorite movie series of all time, and being such a big fan of the franchise, I thought it might be nice to have a discussion here on SSMB about it.

To those unfamiliar, the plot can basically be summed up as this: Ordinary highschool student Marty McFly and his mad scientist friend Dr. Emmett Brown go on adventures through time utilizing a time machine converted from a DeLorean, all the while having to prevent paradoxes and undo disastrous changes to the timeline, which get more and more complicated along the way.

Released in 1985, the original Back to the Future remains a classic, and one of American cinema's most iconic films. It's a great mix of comedy, drama, and action, and has a great cast of lovable characters. I won't spoil the plot to those who haven't seen it, but it's one of my favorite time travel stories, and has a lot of cleverly-implemented ideas. I definitely recommend this to anyone who hasn't seen it yet!

Its sequel, Back to the Future II, is my favorite of the trilogy. From its tongue-in-cheek portrayal of 2015 to its surprisingly clever intertwining with the time travel plot of the first film, BttF II is nonstop fun. I can't gush too much without spoiling it, so I'll just say it's pretty awesome.

The final film, Back to the Future III, veers off into a different direction from the first two, sending Marty and Doc on an adventure in the old west. While some didn't like this change of tone and pace, I still thoroughly enjoyed the movie, despite considering it the weakest of the three. Doc's relationship with Clara was really cool, and definitely fleshed out his character a lot. It's not the ending most fans expected, perhaps, but it's a fitting close to the trilogy.

Of course, the franchise didn't stop with the movies...

BttF had an animated series, which I enjoy as a so-bad-it's-good guilty pleasure. The cartoon could be considered lax in characterization and storytelling, and often had pretty wonky time travel logic compared to the much better thought-out scenarios in the films. However, it was still an enjoyable show, and it expanded on Doc's relationship with his new family. It's worth a watch, I say, but shouldn't be taken as seriously as the movies.

The Telltale game is pretty amazing, and is basically Back to the Future IV in all but name. Marty and Doc go on an adventure in the 1930s, an altered 1986, and much more. All I can say is that if you loved the movies, you'll love the game.

-----

And now for various stuff I like about the series at large!

The whole cast is fantastic, but Dr. Emmett Brown is by far my favorite character. He brings so much to this series, and arguably has the most change and development throughout its run. He's hilarious and eccentric, but also sympathetic and interesting. He's a very good example of a zany comical character not having to be one-dimensional or flat, and I love that about him.

The time periods visited throughout are also all great. My favorite, though, has to be 2015. It's so ridiculously campy, and I just love everything about it. While most of it was nowhere close, a few predictions BttF II made about the future did eventually come true, so that's kinda cool.

And of course, the music is great. The iconic Back to the Future theme, as well as Huey Lewis and the News's Power of Love and Back in Time- among other songs- create a great and memorable soundtrack for the franchise.

I could go on about more, but I'll leave it at that for now. So, what are your thoughts on the series as we approach the original film's 27th anniversary? Discuss!

• Thumbs Up 7

great_scott_RE_Infinite_Picdump_88-s400x341-252428.png

I love these movies, the story and time traveling fuck ups always keep me entertained in this trilogy of headaches.

But I feel indifferent about the third one, only cause I hate westerns.

I'm surprised Hollywood hasn't taken the stick out thier ass and try to ruin this triliogy by making a remake or sequel.

Edited by Nintendoga
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hell. Yes.

Back to the Future is my favorite movie of all time, which so happens to come from my favorite trilogy of all time. Everything in these movies is absolutely brilliant. The writing, the cast, the freakin' music, everything! Goddamn, these movies are beyond incredible. If you haven't seen these yet, you're doing a horrible dishonor to yourself.

I guess I'm pretty different when it comes to the order in which I like them, though. I love all three of them, don't get me wrong, but I would say that the first one is my favorite and the second one is my least favorite. I actually loved the Western setting in the third movie, but..I love Western stuff in general, so that just made it all the better for me. Seriously, these movies are beyond anything else and you just can't help but love all the characters.

And if you dare tell me that you don't like these movies then why don't you just make like a tree and get out of here.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love Back to the Future, it's so good.

I still need to see the 3rd one. Too bad Megavideo is dead. I click the link and find "MegaVidMovie" with the movie still intact? HELL. FUCKING. YES.

Also the game is so good and you all should buy it.

Because I love you all so very much, I'll let you in on a little secret.

Ever since I was a kid, I had a thing for the whole denim jacket/puffy red vest combo... and I still wear shit like that to this day, all because of Marty. That's just... beyond nerdy, and something that I almost never admit to, haha. Only on the rare occasion when somebody notices will I acknowledge it. tongue.png

I only wish I could do something like this and I was actually really looking forward to doing it. Only thing is, I don't have a denim jacket or a red vest like that. But if I did, you honestly wouldn't be the only one who would walk around in public like that.

I did, however, happen to find a shirt with this design on it:

bustedtees.baa9f525e34572d4bf86472cde238b68.gif

Totally gonna buy it as soon as I can.

I also love the Back to the Future trilogy. I was able to see the first film on the big screen in 2010, when it was re-released in cinemas, which was very cool. However, I differ from most people in that Part III is actually my favourite. The train sequence is so much fun to watch and the flying steam locomotive time machine is just made of win.

I love this movie trilogy. I first saw them on DVD a few years ago, and just enjoyed it completely. My favorite is a toss up between I and II, and I'll have to echo Mechano and say while III is the weakest, I still really like it.

I can honestly say Back to the Future is my favourite movie series of all time. I don't know what it is about them, but I can certainly blame these movies for my love of time-travel stories.

Marty is one of my favourite movie protagonists. He screws up (big time : P), but that's one of the things I like about him! Heck, if I went to the past and/or future, I'd end up messing up just as if not worse than he ever did. I definitely sympathize with his Berserk Button--don't ever call him chicken. I don't like being called a coward, even though I can be one. >w>

Oh, and I don't know what most think of the recent video game, but I watched a playthrough of it on youtube and it was pretty awesome. I wonder if they'll be doing any further "episodes"?

The Back to the Future trilogy is ultra awesome! One of my favorite movie trilogies ever! It's tied with the Godfather trilogy.

I love movies that deal with time travel. The Delorean is one frickin' awesome car. I'm glad they used that car as the time machine.

I hope they do not make a remake of the first Back to the Future.

I absolutely adore Back to the Future:

BttF1: An incredibly smart movie that's also suberbly funny.

BttF2: The smartest sequel ever concieved.The way they interact with stuff from the 1st movie is brilliant.

BttF3: Very funny and quite touching at times.Not as good as the other 2 but still awesome

Telltale game: Awesome game that really captures the magic of the movies.

Edited by pppp

• 3 years later...

I hate bringing a thread back from the dead, but as a Back to the Future fan, I really want to discuss the series.

Simply put, ever since I first saw Back to the Future about 5 or 6 years ago, it's one of my absolute favourite film trilogies and definitely ranks high as one of my favourite films. 

Personally, my favourite is the original Back to the Future but I really enjoy all three movies, and honestly, Back to the Future must be one of the most quoteable films ever. From ''1.21 Gigawatts'', ''The Doc, The Doc's alive! He's in the old west but he's alive!''. For a film made in the 1980s, it's absolutely amazing how well these three films holds up and how timeless they are.

Recently, I've been going through the entire series again, including all three films and the Telltale game and they are just as good as ever. The Telltale Game especially feels like the perfect BTTF IV in my opinion.

Which on that note, I was reading some trivia on the series on IMDB and I found out about two different pitches for a Back to the Future IV which needless to say, sounded awful.

The first involved only Doc, Clara, and his two weird kids from the end of the third movie (Yes I know their names are Jules and Verne but considering what Verne was up to at the end of BTTF 3, I'll stick with weird kids) with Marty only appearing in a very quick cameo. 

The second pitch was the classic children of the original characters story and involved Marty as an adult while his kids would be the one travelling around in time. 

There's one major flaw which makes these pitches fail and that's the fact it misses one of the best things in the series. The friendship and interaction between Marty and Doc. One of the best things in the series is seeing the two bounce off of each other and hearing their funny conversations, for example in BTTF 1 where Past Doc runs out of the lab screaming 1.21 Gigawatts only for Marty to run after him replying ''WAIT DOC! WHAT THE HELL IS A GIGAWATT?!'' or in BTTF 3 where Marty and Doc switch catchphrases.

Sorry for double post but....

BACK TO THE FUTURE IS 30 YEARS OLD THIS YEAR!

The sequel will always be my favorite BttF movie.

Also, R.I.P. Back to the Future ride at Universal. You are still missed. :c

I loved watching the BttF movies, I love quoting it and I'm gonna be having a blast playing as Marty in Lego Dimensions.

I gotta watch it again, be right back.

I'll be waiting until this October to be watching the films, since you know, that was the month when the prophecy occured