Awoo.

What do you see in the future of Sonic?

Now that is what needs to happen to Sonic. He needs to be given to someone else (preferably Platinum Games (or any of SEGA's othe subsiduaries)) so they can inject fresh and new ideas into the franchise as Sonic Team haven't got a clue.

... No it isn't and yes they do have a clue as to what they're doing.

The games are still selling in the millions, the reviews/reception is getting better and better with every game. Why on earth would they change the development team when it's working?

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 6

Because you need to remember you would still be stuck with the same useless development team. For a reboot you need to start from scratch which means a whole new team of developers and new director..

Well, I can't say I like everything they do, but I can't deny the guys who made Unleashed and generations are pretty talented. I don't think they are useless by any means. And I don't thing Sonic needs a reboot either, because I think there were at least 2 reboots - 06 [less] and unleashed [more of a reboot than 06]. There is just nothing to reboot now. Edited by ArtFenix

Ok, it may be subjective but it doesn't change the fact that out of all of the 3D Sonic games, Sonic Adventure 2 is usually the one smiled upon the by the fanbase, so its not completely falsehood to say Sa2 is overrated.

SA2 has it fair share of criticisms both inside and outside the fanbase.

The only game I would completely deem overrated is Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

This post is screw up because I restored it after chrome crashed. By the way, Chrome seems to have developed a tendency to crash when closing Youtube windows all of a sudden.

Sonic's still around? Since when?

2/10 get better at trolling.

I can understand where you're coming from with the levels nowadays being pretty narrow and all, but..how else exactly would a level be mapped out in a Sonic game? Other than hub worlds, I really don't see how else they could give a character like Sonic wide area to run around in for a level.

That is, unless you mean for them to design levels like they did for the adventure games, but to go back to that would mean to decrease Sonic back to what his speed used to be and most likely get rid of the boost, because trying to explore these places with the way Sonic is now would be practically impossible. The levels are designed the way they are now in order to keep the players in track of the goal, even at incredibly high speeds.

Not doubting your idea or anything like that, I honestly think it could turn out to be pretty interesting, but a bit more description on how exactly this would work out would be good.

Perhaps it would be easier to show you. I kind of know what I'm doing with Blender after all.

And yes, I want to get rid of the boost, but I'm not looking to slow Sonic down. Maybe slower on average? A bit I'd imagine, but it's not what I'm setting out to do.

C'mon, that isn't true at all. Maybe in Unleashed and Colours' few 3D sections, but definately not in Generations.

So you want a stage which is almost as wide as it is long. Or at least not so narrow that its like.....a......side-walk or something.

Thing is, I'm not sure that's particularly easy to do. The example you provided above with Savannah Citadel Day Act 1, is the best for illustrating your point, but I'm not convinced its true for Eggmanland or most of the Generations Modern stages after Chemical Plant, particularly Seaside hill and Planet Wisp, its true that they aren't exactly examples of sprawling feilds, but large enough to give the sensation or at least the illusion that you're in a large-ish 3D space which you can move around in, at least moreso than in most Unleashed stages (and Green Hill Modern) where you're blocked to literally a little narrow strip. Even if they are narrow, what's wrong with narrow? If the level is fun to move through, then surely its fullfilled is purpose?

1st bit: I've seen this assertion thrown about several times in Generations and I don't see where it's coming from. There are a handful of areas that are wider but they're either like the city escape bits where they're wide for no reason or they're like the Sky Sanctuary bits that I can't really call assets to the game, typically they're fairly basic and aren't designed to the control schemes strengths. (whatever those might be)

Basically what I mean is that I don't want the level to be more than 10 times as long as it is wide, or if it's divided by a particular set piece, then the parts individually be roughly limited to those proportions.

But really, the current way Sonic levels are set up, there's no freedom of movement there, they might have a background but you're effectively going down a chute.

I suppose a good way to put it would be that I'd like some amount of "say" in when I want to use Sonic's speed, how, and to what ends (In the immediate sense).

Edited by Phos

For the record, I don't feel like the Dark Ages started with Shadow the Hedgehog. Everything on the gamecube was really good to me... And to a lesser extent, so was the gameboy Advance games. I feel like the Dark Ages started with Sonic and the Secret Rings, and ended with Black Knight on consoles, and on handhelds, started at Sonic Advance 3, and ... well im not sure if it's over yet.

I can't say for certain about Sonic's furure on consoles. I have mixed feelings about unleashed Day time and Colors gameplay. Haven't tried Generations on consoles, but the Demo sure isn't leaving me with any good impressions.

However, Sonic Generations on the 3DS has restored both my faith in Handheld Sonic, and my faith in Sonic 4, and any other attempts at "New Sonic the Hedgehog". I was suprised that I actually found both versions of Sonic quite enjoyable, unlike all handheld Sonics from Advanced 2 and onward. ( Hadn' tried Colors DS, though gameplay video isn't giving me a good impression ) ...It could be the nostalgic coat of paint and music, but Generations for 3DS has totally brought out the Sonic fan in me again.

I have the reverse impression, however. For me, Generations on 3DS was the game that woke me up to something having gone terribly wrong with portable Sonic. Even Colours DS had something going for it that the console version didn't have (i.e. the character interactions), even if it was just a watered-down and unnecessary miniaturisation. I genuinely enjoyed the Advances and Rushes, which may be something to do with the fact that I don't really care that much about physics and level design, I'm more interested in plot and level tropes - the medium on which the gameplay is inscribed, if you like.