Awoo.

Insomniac CEO announces "No more Resistance games"

Badnik Mechanic

The Resistance series has been one hell of a success for Insomniac and Sony since the first one debuted as a PS3 launch title back in 2006. It was one of the best selling games on the PS3's lauch and had a very popular multiplayer.

Resistance 2 raised the bar and expectations of all FPS games when it announced it would have over 60 player multiplayer as well as an 8 player co-op mode... whilst I was skeptical myself... good god they were fun.

Resistance 3 brought back everything we originally loved about a FPS (tons of weapons including freeze rays and even a vomit/virus gun), health packs, no need to hug a bloody wall to be in cover and it was one hell of a solid and stable experience from start to finish.

The series sorta ended with Resistance 3, the credits hinted that humanity had won the war against the Chimera and mankind was rebuilding, yet it happened so fast there was a few questions....

Was there to be a Resistance 4 to bridge the gap between the end of Resistance 3 and what we saw in the credits...

Today we got the answer.

2-resistance_fall_of_man.jpg

It's over.

Speaking to at a university lecture, Ted Price CEO of Insomniac Games told the listening crowd "We won't be making anymore Resistances" It's over, the Resistance games are over.

Well thats not quite true, theres one more due out on the Vita, but the magic which was Insomniac games isn't going to have anything to do with any other spin off titles or continue the main Resistance storyline.

Thats it folks, The Resistance series has ended.

I'm quite shocked by this, although not too surprised, Resistance 3 is an amazing game, yet it suffered quite bad during the mad period which was end of 2011, so many games, so many big titles it didn't sell too well. Which is a shame since the game is pretty damn good. There was so much that they hinted at was coming and even though R3 technically ends, there could so easilly have been a 4th in the series, mainly looking at what this mysterious other alien race was that the Chimera feared.

Regardless as to what you may think of the series, or if you've never played it, you can't deny that this series has been one hell of a winner and any other studio could have easilly pumped out another 50 million sequels or spinoffs for a quick buck or two... *Glares at COD & Halo*

But thats it, it's finish, at least with Insomniac, it's not going to make anymore, now the door is open for another studio to pick up the license, chances are someone will... but theres no way it'll have the same charm as the Insomniac titles did... if indeed any studio is brave enough to take it on.

Source

Edited by Hogfather

So now they'll just focus on their Ratchet and Clank and their upcoming Overstrike game?

Good, maybe they'll purchase back Spyro The Dragon again and save the series from obscurity.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

I own the first Resistance game, and I like it a lot. Played the second just once, and I didn't like the changes it made to the inventory system; I liked being able to hold every weapon in the game at once in the original. Fuck realism! Never played the third, but I plan to purchase it on the cheap at some point.

I don't know. Despite it being the only modern shooter franchise that I've enjoyed, I'm not crying over its death.

So now they'll just focus on their Ratchet and Clank and their upcoming Overstrike game?
Edited by Hogfather

Better to axe a series at it's peak and leave a good taste in the mouths of the fans than go far enough to tarnish your rep. (If you do go that far though, like Sonic did, It's worth trying to fix it again since you can't make it much worse.)

Never really liked the series. The first game was interesting merely only as eye candy for what the PS3 was capable of at the time. Gameplay wise, based off my impressions of the demo there's a serious imbalance with the health system in my opinion. If you're going to make me pick up health power ups then give me more health. It was infuriating to pick up health then lose nearly all of it a second later. Also wasn't too happy with the Resistance 3 beta, seeing as how it devolved into nothing but a CoD clone. If that was the direction the series was going then I wouldn't object to it ending.

Never really liked the series. The first game was interesting merely only as eye candy for what the PS3 was capable of at the time. Gameplay wise, based off my impressions of the demo there's a serious imbalance with the health system in my opinion. If you're going to make me pick up health power ups then give me more health. It was infuriating to pick up health then lose nearly all of it a second later. Also wasn't too happy with the Resistance 3 beta, seeing as how it devolved into nothing but a CoD clone. If that was the direction the series was going then I wouldn't object to it ending.

Its not really a CoD clone to be honest.

Kinda bummed. There were a few holes here or there in the story, so unless the Vita game is some kind of intel juggernaught, I'll probably go without answers. I was a big fan of the series and its sad to se it go.

Although I think I am even more angry about the fact that this pretty much puts the nail in the coffin for a revival of the Chimera skin for Uncharted 3. Nobody could touch my Hybrid in 2, He was beast mode all day, every day.

Their Spyro games were great and Resistance has been pretty nifty, I can't wait to see what they can come up with next.

Their Spyro games were great and Resistance has been pretty nifty, I can't wait to see what they can come up with next.

That would be their upcoming Overstrike game.

Good, maybe they'll purchase back Spyro The Dragon again and save the series from obscurity.

Not gonna happen. Universal Interactive own the rights to Spyro, so it's impossible for Insomniac to continue the games.

So now they're gonna just focus on both Overstrike and the Ratchet and Clank series? Kinda funny how they're still making Ratchet and Clank games, but I'm not complaining. :P

Its not really a CoD clone to be honest.

Players earn killstreak rewards as they run around a small tiny map shooting each other. Sounds like CoD to me.

I find it hilarious how people are hoping for them to get the Spyro license back even though they sold it in the first place because they couldn't be arsed to think up a solution to a problem that Rare already solved.

I'm like 99% sure Spyro (or Crash) won't claim a crown at Sony ever again, XD. I could be wrong (and it'd be nice to be wrong since I love the Crash series), but like Patticus put it, I'm extremely looking forward to what's next to come. I never really bothered with Resistance for whichever reason, but it seems like good companies make good games, so I'm sure what's ever next will probably grab my interest (Like Naughty Dog, even though I never really got into Uncharted either, but fancy that new zombie game that they're making).

Players earn killstreak rewards as they run around a small tiny map shooting each other. Sounds like CoD to me.

By that logic, Assassin's Creed's multiplayer is like CoD because player's also earn killstreak rewards as they run around trying to assasinate each other.

By that logic, Assassin's Creed's multiplayer is like CoD because player's also earn killstreak rewards as they run around trying to assasinate each other.

Assassin's Creed isn't a FPS. Resistance 3 even uses the same controls as CoD.

Assassin's Creed isn't a FPS.

Obviously.

But I would recommend you not use Killstreaks to justify a game being CoD clone like that, considering what I just pointed out from it. That practically made your first point weaker by comparison.

Uh.

Insomniac never sold the rights to Spyro, 'cuz they never owned them to begin with. It was Universal's, and much like Crash they made sure all the effort put by the original developers went to shit.

Lest we forget that the rights to Spyro are now in the hands of Activision, and I wouldn't want to think about what shit Insomniac would have to go through to be able to develop games for them considering the unnatural success of Skylanders.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's what I like about Insomniac and Naughty Dog. Three games and they're done. That's a good set of standards if any.

That's what I like about Insomniac and Naughty Dog. Three games and they're done. That's a good set of standards if any.

They've done more than three games for their respective series. Especially Insomniac with the case of Ratchet and Clank.

They've done more than three games for their respective series. Especially Insomniac with the case of Ratchet and Clank.

Ok, you got me with Ratchet and Clank.

I just can't but think that Resistance had one more game left in it, when I posted a few weeks ago, whilst the game ends fine with main characters story, the defeat of the Chimera is a bit of a stretch. The thought has to be that because the machine which is cooling the planet is destroyed, the planet heats up and the current state evolved chimera means they can't survive in hotter temperatures, hence why they abruptly die.

Problem I've got with that is you don't actually see it happen and the game doesn't really explain 'yes destroying this will do that' it's more of a 'destroying this machine will stop humanity from freezing to death.'

It felt like there was something missing between this machine going down and the Chimera being wiped out. A few other reviewers have commented on this, it just seems like there was something missing. To another extent, there seemed to be something missing between R2 and R3, the change between the strength of the humans and the chimera is so dramatic yet isn't explained too well.

I just can't help but think that there was just one more game that could have been made and still finished the series.