Awoo.

Sonic 4 - Episode II - Music Thread

Soniman

Naofumi Hataya is still at Sega. He did all the music for Nights, remixed the music for Classic Sonic's Mega Drive era stages and his crowning achievement: being one half of the duo who created the pumping, funky, crazy ad-libbibng, record scratching, kids cheering, over the top and stereotypically 90's Sonic CD JP OST. Hataya's credits on here were: Palmtree Panic (YEAYYY), Quartz Quadrant, Stardust Speedway, Metallic Madness, bonus stage, 'Work that Sucka to death' boss music and the end credits song Cosmic Eternity. Sega want retro, so get this guy to make the tunes and TELEPORTATION YEAH back to the 90's and we'll all have a dance party while playing 2D Sonic on a console!

• Thumbs Up 1

Naofumi Hataya is still at Sega. He did all the music for Nights, remixed the music for Classic Sonic's Mega Drive era stages and his crowning achievement: being one half of the duo who created the pumping, funky, crazy ad-libbibng, record scratching, kids cheering, over the top and stereotypically 90's Sonic CD JP OST. Hataya's credits on here were: Palmtree Panic (YEAYYY), Quartz Quadrant, Stardust Speedway, Metallic Madness, bonus stage, 'Work that Sucka to death' boss music and the end credits song Cosmic Eternity. Sega want retro, so get this guy to make the tunes and TELEPORTATION YEAH back to the 90's and we'll all have a dance party while playing 2D Sonic on a console!

A thousand times this. I do like Jun, but he's a so much better suited to games where he's able to go all out in his eccentric guitar-heavy styles. By it's very nature Sonic 4 shouldn't be that regardless of whether or not he was being limited to Megadrive style music.

Edited by HYDROCITEE

They should just re-hire Spencer Neilson and have him make a completley otherworldy, atmosphereis soundtrack.

• Thumbs Up 1

The music for Ep2 should be on par and challenging the high quality tracks in the recent 3d Sonic games. Trying to make the music sound like the mega drive/genesis games does not impress. I want memorable music. The only track in Ep1 I truely liked was Mad Gear Act 1 which was rather catchy.

SEGA should at the very least do really cool music like in the Sonic CD Japanese (and American to an exact) soundtrack, After all CD is the quote unquote prequel.

Edited by MilesKnightwing

I agree. Hataya is obviously still around, so why doesn't SEGA let him do a little more work for the series? There were a couple tracks in Heroes, an overworld piece in Colo(u)rs, and obviously the Generations remixes. Give him something to go full out on, Jun gets to contribute to practically every other Sonic title these days anywhoo.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd like a Hataya/Nilsen collab soundtrack just for kicks.

I also would have preferred each episode to feature a different musician, to bring something new to the table each time. For episode 2 my top choices would have been Kumatani or Tokoi.

• Thumbs Up 8

The other half of the Sonic CD JP OST dream team, Masafumi Ogata is often overlooked even though his contributions were arguably more defining and memorable (toot toot Sonic warrior). Just thought I would mention this because the guy deserves some long overdue rep. His good future tunes had what I consider his signature trance music that made me put down the controller, sit back and admire the trippy visuals. Unfortunately he no longer works at Sega

I'm going to PAX East during Friday the 6th (only day). No promises I'll get to Sonic 4 but, if I do I'll definitely listen hard in order to determine whether the sound is cats or not.

• Thumbs Up 1

Might as we revive this thread due to music.

Slyvannia castle sounds bland, I hope the act variations will be able to spice it up.

As I said in another thread, SCZ Act 1 is pretty catchy & upbeat. Probably a bit too upbeat for the level, but at least it fits the "A start to a new episode" vibe I guess. Instrument-wise, it sounds better than the ones used in Ep1 (SHZ especially), but the bad audio quality & the sound effects makes it hard for me to hear the music properly. Not bad, but not too amazing. So far, so good!

Should have had a stronger starter. Similar to E1 having the worst track of the 3 acts as the first to play. First act of the zone should be something inspirational to keep you playing, not just something sounding "good enough".

I wish people wouldn't complain about the music so much. Making it better would've probably broken the game!

• Thumbs Up 8

Sylvania Castle's Act 1 theme... meh. I'm being completely honest when I say that, barely a minute after I first heard it early this morning, I already forgot how it sounded like; heck, I still can't remember it now! I mean, Episode 1's music pieces weren't exactly masterpieces either, but I can still recall all of their basic melodies.

The way I see it, this is plain wrong, man. I mean, Sonic music have always been memorable in one way or another; hearing this utterly forgettable music track honestly worries me a bit. Will the rest of the game's music be this mediocre? I sure hope not...

It sounds like something I'd expect to hear from SegaSonic's soundtrack.

Which I didn't care for.

Jun hardly touched the main series after ShTH until Generations. '06, Unleashed and Colours were all handled by Ohtani and different team.

Lies. Jun Senoue made Sonic Colours soundtrack.

trollface.jpg

Edited by Lamor

Let's not beat around the bush here, Jun just don't give a fuck no more.

Erm... I disagree strongly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4iY4iCnbHE

Let's not beat around the bush here, Jun just don't give a fuck about Sonic 4 no more.

Now that's more accurate.

Lies. Jun Senoue made Sonic Colours soundtrack.

...no.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 9

Let's not beat around the bush here, Jun just don't give a fuck no more.

How so? I thought he did alright with this theme so far. I can't make a final judgment with the crappy video/audio quality however, but like I said, it sounds better than some of the stuff in E1 so far IMHO.

If I recall Jun is in love with Splash Hill Zone...he plays it all the time.

He probably doesn't give a fuck about what we say though...he loves the track.

Edited by Voyant
  • Thumbs Up 1

How so? I thought he did alright with this theme so far. I can't make a final judgment with the crappy video/audio quality however, but like I said, it sounds better than some of the stuff in E1 so far IMHO.

I say this becuase while listening to the sylvania castle music it just felt, well for lack of a better word lifeless. And while it does sound better than some stuff in E1 that doesn't mean it's good.

@Indi, Okay yeah that's more accurate.

I say this becuase while listening to the sylvania castle music it just felt, well for lack of a better word lifeless.

I felt it quite the opposite really. But hey, for each, their own.

...no.

Oh well... dry.png

I really hope music for S4:II will be good. S4:I was one of my least favourite Sonic soundtrack of all time. Unfortunately Sylvania Castle theme don't give me good feelings...

I'm really liking Sylvania Castle Act 1's theme so far. It's only the first level folks so it might get better later.

Edited by BlueTidalGamer21