Awoo.

Sonic 4 - Episode II - Music Thread

Soniman

I'm really liking Sylvania Castle Act 1's theme so far. It's only the first level folks so it might get better later.

It's the 18th level and very little has gotten better.

• Thumbs Up 2

That was only music for one act, give the game a chance.

Edited by MilesKnightwing

I'm so sick of people saying this.

This is what they gave us, this all we have to judge the game on, and we say the music is forgetable.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's what they said about Episode 1. and look what happened with that one...

• Thumbs Up 5

That's what they said about Episode 1. and look what happened with that one...

Mad Gear & Lost Labyrinth were the best in E1 though. The others were kind of meh (although I hum them alot anyway).

It behooves me how people are still saying "C'mon! Give the game a chance!" even after Episode I was a disaster, and all its problems plus new ones are ever so prevalent in the current build of Episode II. There is no reason to be excited for a game when all that SEGA are showing us is a disappointing array of broken gameplay elements, unwanted features and bad music that is one step ahead, but two steps back of what we originally got in Episode I.

Don't tell us to "wait until we play the full game!" because that would involve us purchasing and giving SEGA money for a product we don't support. If you vote with your dollar, you'll get what you want. Don't buy Episode II if you're not happy with what you see.

• Thumbs Up 9

Next it's going to be "that was only music for two acts, the others are going to be better."

And once we go through the entire goddamn game, it's going to be "Well maybe Episode 3 will be better!" Though at that point no one's going to give a shit since they royally screwed up not just once, but twice now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Look, Ep1's music wasn't much good - not very memorable - and the music for Sylvania Castle Act 1 didn't thrill me either, but I would like to hear more of the music of Ep2 before I condem it entirely. Is that too much to ask?!

• Thumbs Up 1

Look, Ep1's music wasn't much good - not very memorable - and the music for Sylvania Castle Act 1 didn't thrill me either, but I would like to hear more of the music of Ep2 before I condem it entirely. Is that too much to ask?!

Yes. You should have condemned E2 a long time ago. no not srs

It's a shame really. SEGA had all the feedback in the world which they failed to pay much attention to prior to the delayed release of E1 and the long overdue announcement of E2.

Edited by Blue Blood

Of course not, mang. Feel free to be hopeful for this game; me, I'm just gonna be cautiously optimistic, like I've always been doing lately.

And once we go through the entire goddamn game, it's going to be "Well maybe Episode 3 will be better!" Though at that point no one's going to give a shit since they royally screwed up not just once, but twice now.

That is if there's an Episode 3...

No, feel free to think whatever you'd like.

Meanwhile, I'll be standing and shouting several phrases that include the words "betrayal" and "bullshit" as I please.

So with the graphical style being updated, surely they won't stick to fake Genesis-style music this time, right? They'll let Jun do what he does best, right?

*listens to music*

tumblr_ljuvkyZr111qbn3xio1_400.gif

Thanks for listening as always, SEGA.

Meh, not a huge fan of it. Though I'm sure I'll learn to like it when I can hear it a bit better.

So with the graphical style being updated, surely they won't stick to fake Genesis-style music this time, right? They'll let Jun do what he does best, right?

*listens to music*

tumblr_ljuvkyZr111qbn3xio1_400.gif

Thanks for listening as always, SEGA.

lol, it's not THAT bad. It sounds kinda underwhelming but after listening to it many times it's starting to grow on me.

Actually, from the very little we've heard of White Park, I think it sound okay. But then again I guess once we hear it properly we'll hear it in all it's fake Mega Drive glory... shame really, seems like a nice little tune.

This is why we don't really want retro sounding music. Sonic 2 drums occasionally in a song as a homage like in Classic Speed Highway with lots of techno? Fine. Intentional limitations to try and be "true Mega Drive" despite everything else being changed including graphics? Now that's a bunch of arse. I would have thought a Sonic 4 at the time would have tried to push the sound direction to it's limits, so I wish they had here.

I wouldn't mind if the retro actually sounded good, but it sounds kind of lame :/

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 3

Actually, from the very little we've heard of White Park, I think it sound okay. But then again I guess once we hear it properly we'll hear it in all it's fake Mega Drive glory... shame really, seems like a nice little tune.

This is why we don't really want retro sounding music. Sonic 2 drums occasionally in a song as a homage like in Classic Speed Highway with lots of techno? Fine. Intentional limitations to try and be "true Mega Drive" despite everything else being changed including graphics? Now that's a bunch of arse. I would have thought a Sonic 4 at the time would have tried to push the sound direction to it's limits, so I wish they had here.

Yeah, very much agreed. In order to sound fitting for Sonic 4 being released in 2012, it's got to hold some sort of homage to the classic games. Something like Classic Speed Highway, Classic City Escape or any of the Classic Megadrive level in Generations is the way to do that. To go full circle though it's pretty weak.

I don't really think they should've had any limitation to the music. I really think quite a bit of the Adventure soundtrack would work perfectly fine in a Classic game. It sounds like an evolution of what they were trying, and they just had the hardware to do it.

Yeah, most of Adventure was pretty much composed in the same style as Sonic 3D Blast Genesis.

Despite my not-entirely-serious reaction on the last page, I actually do like the music as a guilty pleasure (which is how I felt about Episode I's music), but I'm kinda upset we're not getting better. I'm sure a lot of you feel the same way.

At least the cat synth seems to be gone, right?

Can you think of a Sonic game where the music was worse than Ep1? because I can't. I think the music for Ep2 should at the very least be as good as the excellent standard of CD or 3d blast.