Awoo.

Sonic 4 - Episode II - Music Thread

Soniman

Yes. For starters, does Sonic Chronicles ring a bell?

*Shudders*

Horrible, HORRIBLE soundtrack >_< Didn't mind the game itself (it gets quite a bit of hate and I can understand why but I thought it was alright if just because of the Elite Beat Agents-esque battle system and the story) but the soundtrack was garbage.

Anyone who denies the fact that Chronicles had the worst soundtrack in the entire series is wrong. No matter of opinion, they're flat out wrong.

Edited by SiLeNtDo0m
  • Thumbs Up 6

• 3 weeks later...

So yeah, the Episode II music is pretty legit now, especially with SC2. Let's hope we see more of that.

In general the Act 2 themes tend to be super awesome in this game.

Also I might be wrong but interestingly:

SC and WP seem to do ep1 style different melody on every act, then OD and SF use an overarching theme between every act. Odd.

In general the Act 2 themes tend to be super awesome in this game.

Also I might be wrong but interestingly:

SC and WP seem to do ep1 style different melody on every act, then OD and SF use an overarching theme between every act. Odd.

I was just about to say how much I loved that the songs changed completely each act >_>

I listened to a snippet of SC Act 2, and I can safely say that it sounded better than the entirety of E1's soundtrack. If it's anything to judge the rest of the product by, I think I'll be pretty pleased.

I still wish it was more "real", but the compositions are miles better than E1's, and I actually enjoy a few of the tracks heard so far, particularly the latter two White Park acts.

Doubt it's intentional, but I recently noticed Sky Fortress Act 1 is very loosely similar to Dolphin Resort from Free Riders.

Now that I've heard up to Oil Ocean 2 + one of Sky Fortresse's Acts and can say that I really like the music for the most part. From actual levels, SC 1 is definitely the weakest, but I still like it. The only music I'm still no fan of is the world map music and presumably the title screen.

I've listened to just about all of it now, and I can say I'm like half adoring it, and half hating it. There's songs that seem to still just fart around with notes and don't really go to any direction and fill up space. However, there's a lot of them that seem more focused, and these are the ones I love, <3. It's mostly things like these that I favor:

Winter Park Act 2, Sky Fortress Act 2, Sky Fortress Act 3, Everything after this, the updated boss theme (even if it's a little short on loop). I like other ones as well, but these are the ones that stand out to me, especially Sky Fortress Act 2. I just wish they would have completely ditched the weird soundfonts of balls.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think my personal favorite goes to Sky Fortress 1, to bad I cant get a clean rip due to background noises.

Edited by The Groosenator

Just so ya know, "Guess Who" just released the entire ripped OST on Retro. Run over there if you want it.

Alternatively, I've been spending half the day uploading it to Youtube. Don't worry, I won't link anything.

But man, this game's OST is really good.

I dunno, IMO the OST is absolutely shit, both on composition and arrangement.

The melodies arent very catchy and feel boring and even "random" notes in some of them for me, and the arrangement... yeah, slightly improvement over ep.1 but still it sounds really bad.

Major spoilage!

I've been lurking for the past day, didn't comment because I was just soaking in what I wanted too. I've watched snippets of some early act videos and watched MAYBE four seconds of the later zones. I'll admit, I watched the "big" episode metal cutscene, because I wanted to see the retro nods.

Overall, very impressed! Really looking forward to the game! The whole world of Sonic 4 Ep 2 really reminds me of Sonic Adventure. Lots of retro elements brought into 3D, some new elements that are very much influenced by the Genesis games.

---

The music, however, I'm totally spoiling. Will be listening to the OST til release. Did the same when Ep 1 leaked. I figure when I get into the game, I'll already be accustomed to the tunes, so I won't be trying to wrap my head around the new music and can just enjoy the game.

Edited by Barry the Nomad
  • Thumbs Up 3

I'll keep stuff in spoiler tags just to please some people.

1. The music is a lot better than what it was in Episode I, but there is still a need for improvements. If the boss pinch music really is going to be used for the entire fight, then no matter if Jun has dealt with the instrumentation problems, it's still too damn short and repetitive! Okay, so that first boss track is no longer there, although it would have been funny to see it used at the start of the SCZ boss since it's nothing more than a troll.
  2. Sky Fortress 2 is the best track in the game and I want it badly on MD hardware. Oh well...
  3. Stardust Speedway Classic with Sonic 4 instruments...no thanks.
  4. Oil Desert Zone 2 sounds a little bit...well you'll need to listen to it yourself.
  5. Still think that Jun Senoue was a bad fit for Sonic 4, this game desperately needed better composers to come in, but at least there have been improvements, just not as good as the artwork though.

And that's my views on the music.

I'll just speak for alot of people when I say

Damnnnnnn

The music is far better then Episode 1's. I was expecting the same thing with a little bit of "meow" being thrown in there every now and then.

But this is just...wow.

Not the best Sonic Soundtrack, but I personally love most of the songs, including

SC Acts 2&3- Both sound brilliant, especially 3 which is my favorite

OD Acts 1,2,3- All sound brilliant in my opinion, (yes even Act 2.....Quack)

WP Acts 1,2,3- all sound great

SF- I'm just gonna say I'm a bit mixed, but it all sounds good I guess

Death EggMK2- Sounds awesome

Metal Sonic's theme sounds cool, as does Stardust Speedway

And the Final Boss isn't a 20 second loop anymore, THEY LISTENED

Only one I don't like is Eggman's Boss theme, because of the horrible memories they bring of me trying to get the untouchable achievement in Ep.1

Edited by Nintendoga

Well I made this because, the only thing I really don't like about Sonic 4, is the instrumentation. They should have provided Jun with VOPM or FM8. Keep that classic genesis style going on. I don't want you to take this like I am better than Jun or any of that sort. Because he composed my favorite Sonic VGM of all time, Which is Windy Valley. The songs themselves are great, its just in the instrumentation. I have like over 500 Genesis samples; I wish I knew Jun Personally, I would have given it to him.

Edited by Urban Flow
  • Thumbs Up 9

The Twinkle Park segment sounds a bit off but otherwise that's purdy cool. Goes to show how spot on his melodies were despite everything. They sound great in actual 16-bit style.

Though I would still have preferred to have real instruments and percussion mixed in for oomph factor (or just... no genesis samples and normal music lol).

Doubt it's intentional, but I recently noticed Sky Fortress Act 1 is very loosely similar to Final Factory from Free Riders.

FTFY =P

FTFY =P

Oh god yes, how did I mix those up in my head. o_o Listening to it again I'm starting to think it may just have been intentional now.