Awoo.

Sonic 4 - Episode II - Music Thread

Soniman

The game has a decent number of decent tunes, so I can let Jun get away with this crappy arrangement.

Maybe its just me but I hear some similarities in the melody of the VS Metal Sonic track and Look a like from the OVA

• Thumbs Up 2

Nice, I was thinking about doing that too.

I wonder if the similarity of the melody is casuality or something intentional. After all, Metal Sonic is the main enemy of the OVA, too

It's possible considering Eggman's theme is the unused Sonic 3D Blast boss tune. I was thinking maybe Metal Sonic's was his unused boss theme in Sonic X-Treme or something though, but don't know if that would actually be it or not.

I honestly loved the music in Ep 2, sure some of the songs are really horrendous when played for extended periods of time (as in Eggman's boss theme and Sky fortress act 1) but overall the musics pretty good i thought, not particularly memorable as many have already said, but some of the tracks are undeniably catchy, in particular Sky Fortress Act 2

Edited by herbhen

I'm waiting for the inevitable Sky Fortress 2 remix for the 2012 TSS Album so I won't have to listen to the original one again.

• Thumbs Up 3

The music I like is Sky Fortess Acts 2&3. White Park Act 2 and Metal Sonic Boss music (amazingly catchy-just can't get it out of my head). I also like Oil Desert Zone music. It's good with or without the ducks. I like the cutscene music between SF Boss and DE mkII Act 1.

Edited by MilesKnightwing

I love Episode 2's soundtrack. I found all the music in the game pretty memorable. Sylvania Castle Act 1, White Park Act 1 and 2, Metal Sonic's boss fights and the final boss are my favorites. Those tunes are infected into my brain and won't leave.

The tracks themselfs may be short and loop a lot but to me looping is ok so long as the music is catchy as hell, which this game's music is. At least I think so.

Edited by BlueTidalGamer21

Maybe its just me but I hear some similarities in the melody of the VS Metal Sonic track and Look a like from the OVA

videos

Jesus H. Christ, they do sound a like! So that's why I liked it the first time I heard it biggrin.png

Edited by Jango

I actually was really pleased with the music in this game. Nothing spectacular but I think they got it down pretty well how the classic games sounded, and the Genesis sounds and instruments were all in-tact and used well, especially with songs like the Special Stage theme and fighting Metal Sonic.

I'd personally so a lot better than Ep 1. They were catchier, and not just either bland or horrendous in quality.

Oddly enough, I don't remember too many. The Final Boss theme is just amazing.

I listened to it for 20 minutes, and it is catchy as all get out.

Man I actually quite like Ep2's OST, compositions especially. I do wish they'd use better instrumentation, true Genesis soundfont or actual instruments would be better than the crap Senoue has gone with.

Sylvania Castle.. White Park 2/3, Oil Desert 3, Vs Metal Sonic, Sky Fortress, Death Egg.. I like them all!! I can't wait to hear remixes.

Compared to the original trilogy the tracks are disappointing.. but I'm a lot less ashamed of them suffice to say.

The thing that bugs me is that most modern Sonic music from other composers (hi 06/Unleashed/Colours) is amazing, and pretty ironic that a ~return to form~ has worse music than the last half a decade of Sonic.

But every1 knows my thoughts on the music and they reflect a lot of others' thoughts, either way I like Ep2's ost a lot more overall.

But man, I really love the unused Hidden Palace music from Sonic 2!!

Here's a neat idea put Hidden Palace into Episode 3 or Sonic 5 and use that music and use good instrumentation for it.

yES....................... perfect.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm waiting for the inevitable Sky Fortress 2 remix for the 2012 TSS Album so I won't have to listen to the original one again.

Would this do for now?

On a serious note, I love the music for this game much more than in Episode 1. Sky Fortress 2 & 3 are probably the best out of all I've heard in the game so far.

• 1 year later...

used soft synths only. don't remember the name of them though.

I didn't have Korg mono/poly for sure.

And one more step into the quest of replicating Sonic 4's instruments... Evilhamwizard, eat your heart out.

Honestly I don't think the music in both episodes were that bad... Personally I thought Ep. II had the stronger soundtrack and actually used more variation of different instruments while Ep. I but I still loved it. My favorite track from Ep. II is probably Sylvania Castle Zone Act 2 or maybe the remix of Stardust Speedway Bad Future JPN...

• 4 weeks later...

Not bad, yes (some of the compositions, like White Park are positively AMAZING, in my opinion - an EXTREMELY simple melody, while being very catchy, memorable and easy to fit to different chord progressions, as shown in Act 2), but most of it is rather underwhelming, quite like most of the game. The admittedly quite good compositions (some of it I'm still amazed with - White Park, for example) are spoiled by the severely lacking instrumentation. The funny thing is, there's quite a bit of potential for FM-esque sounds on the Korg Triton - like I said several times, the synthesizer used for Sonic 4 (as well as Jet Set Radio, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Heroes, Sonic Colors and MapleStory, but we're getting off-track); I actually should try make a proof-of-concept sometime.