Awoo.

I'm pretty sure those who have been lurking around Sonic Retro have heard of this.. but I wanted to share this with all of you. Sonic The Hedgehog Megamix, or just Sonic Megamix for short is a hack of the original Sonic The Hedgehog game. The game was created by a team of hackers known as Team Megamix, and is their first, and probably most popular project. The hack was created for the Sega Genesis, but recently was moved to the Sega CD. But there are many distinguishing features that make it differ than other hacks out there.

There are five characters you can play as. Sonic The Hedgehog, Mighty The Armadillo, Shadow The Hedgehog, Miles "Tails" Prower, and Knuckles The Echidna. Each character has their own type of gameplay, and highly differentiate from each other.

Sonic: Gameplay is made up on the classic formula of high-speed action, and the usual platforming elements.

Mighty: Based mostly on the ability to switch types of shield while playing. which can be a very useful thing if you want to protect yourself.

Shadow: His gameplay is similar to that of Sonic's but is based more on exploration. And his ability to do constant speed boosts.

Tails: Based on exploration like Shadow, but due to his ability to fly, his stages can be certainly easy in most open areas.

Knuckles: His stages are based on his brute power, and can go through different shortcuts that other's cannot.

------------

In the Options' menu, you can choose which character you want. And even play around with the sound test. And choose which type of game you want. Here are the game options.

Classic: Play through the original stages of Sonic 1, with remixed music, and other new experiences. The title page is that of Sonic's 1 title page also.

Normal: Play through the all-new Megamix experience, with new interface, stages, music, enemies, and others. New stages include Sunny Shores Zone, Dark Fortress Zone, Starry Night Zone, Misty Maze Zone, and others!

-------------

In the preferences menu, you can change things such as being able to turn on or off the spike bug, speed cap, in-game music, or type of gameplay with each of your character.

Megamix: Gives your characters all-new abilities. Sonic and Shadow can both use the homing attack, the light speed dash, light speed attack. Sonic's "Super-Peel-Out" move from Sonic CD makes a return, and Shadow can use his Chaos powers, and make speed boosts. Mighty's shield abilities are activated in this mode too. Tails can use his special "tails attack" from Sonic Adventure. While Knuckles does not have any new abilities.

Classic: You can jump and spin dash. That's it. Except for Tails and Knuckles, since Tails can fly, and Knuckles can glide.

-------------------------

As the formula follows from all the Genesis games, if you collect six Chaos Emeralds from completing six special stages and nabbing the emeralds. Your character can transform into its own super form. In a super form, you get updated or brand-new abilities for your character.

Super Sonic: Can dash at speeds seen never before, and even has the ability to fly in the air.

Super Mighty: Able to generate his own shields, and can make an explosion that kills all enemies on the screen.

Super Shadow: Can perform Chaos Blast, which easily kills all enemies on screen, and perform Chaos Control, which allows him to teleport.

Super Tails: Sadly does not have his flicky army of death, but to make up for it, has a "super tails attack" which allows him to attack enemies with his tails at a much wider range.

Knuckles does not have a super form at this moment.

--------------

STAGES:

Sunny Shores Zone

Megamix_SSZ.png

Dark Fortress Zone

Megamix_DFZ.png

City Outskirts Zone

Megamix_COZ.png

Misty Maze Zone

Megamix_MMZ.png

Starry Night Zone

Megamix_SNZ.png

Metallic Base Zone

Megamix_MBZ.png

The Final Fight

Megamix_TFF.png

-----------

If you want to learn even more info of this game and yet download it? Click on this link! http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_Megamix

Don't have a Genesis emulator? Get Gens or Fusion here! GENS: http://segaretro.org/Gens FUSION: http://segaretro.org/Fusion

If highly recommend you get this game. It's a highly enjoyable game, and I'm sure you won't be disappointed with it. What do think of Sonic Megamix from the impressions of this thread? :3

• Thumbs Up 1

• The topic was unlocked

Hey all, its been a looooong time since we heard anything about Megamix. but now theirs some bittersweet news to share. I'll let Stealth's post explain:

I had been posting updates on Megamix here, so I might as well post this one too. Pasted below, in full, is my blog/news post on the subject. Unfortunately, I haven't got the time to really discuss it right now, so this is pretty much just FYI. Things have happened and will happen as they come; please be respectful

Don't worry, it does get better toward the end :P

State of the Mix Address

Introduction

Well, it's that time, I guess. I've got some news to share, and it seems most appropriate to do it now. Sort of a good news/bad news thing, so, I'm going to do the bad news first

Hang in with me until the end; it's not all disappointing

Semper Expunctus

Putting aside my non-fluency in Latin (and Google Translate's singular inappropriate English translation of the phrase), if you're interested in Sonic Megamix, then you probably know about one of the most-"recent" videos I posted about it, which was titled "Never Cancelled". I chose that name due to my frustration with repeated false assumptions that led to actions by members of the public that caused problems for myself, the team, and the project itself, but in the end, it seems to have implied a promise that couldn't be delivered on. Contrary to popular belief and long stretches of no public updates, and disregarding one extremely-short-lived mishap, the project never was cancelled, until now. There is no "I knew this was going to happen"/"I saw this coming"/etc; there was no possible way for the public to actually know what the project's fate would be because there was no truly solid information to indicate one thing or the other. We intended to see it through, we tried, and, incidentally, it eventually became unworkable

Over time, the whole team seemed to just move apart. Lots of stuff has been happening in the lives of each individual member, and the game project Sonic Megamix as it came to be envisioned just sort of crumbled under its own weight. To make the point directly, the team no longer has active graphic artists, level designers, additional programmers, nothing; there's just me. The unfortunate truth is that there is no longer a "Team Megamix"

I won't be looking for any other "members". The essence of what would have been "Sonic Megamix" can't be completely replaced, so to be perfectly honest, I just can't justify holding on to it any longer. That's why the "new game" will never be finished. As much as I would have wanted for it to be, completion of the project was never under my personal control, and it was never a promise that I could keep by myself

From the Ashes

It's not all going to waste. I do, in fact, have plans of my own for what's already been done, provided I have the time to devote to it

First of all, I plan to stick with the cleanup of the original "Sonic 1 Megamix" for a final and not-so-sloppy release. It's not a light task, but it does seem like something I can do by myself

Second, I plan to attempt to make existing new content "presentable" in any way that I can. Some sprites will most likely still be missing, for one, but you should end up with a little something to play with. I don't know in what form this will come, whether some/all of it will be used to augment "Sonic 1 Megamix", presented as bonus content, or released separately altogether

Third, and biggest of all, I plan to continue the engine modification that I described a while back, which restructures the code to run primarily from the SegaCD/MegaCD's SUB-CPU to take better advantage of the platform by using it to improve primary gameplay performance. I will freely release the source code for this engine to the public. This includes some enhanced Megamix core engine code, all Megamix-specific character abilities, and all related debugging and hardware transfer utilities. Anyone who wants to create a game functionally-similar to Megamix will be able to use this to do it. This, however, will not happen until I am prepared to present the engine and its code to the public in its then-current state. It's a project that I have chosen for myself and that I intend to attempt alone until I'm satisfied with what I've done; everyone will have the opportunity to "continue"/expand/modify/use/research it after that point

When is that?

Unfortunately, it's going to be a while. As I've said several times previously, I'm currently occupied with a contract project that's still going to take a good bit of time to complete. None of my personal projects are currently moving ahead, and even if there were still a "Team Megamix", I wouldn't be able to contribute to the project for now anyway

What about Patreon?

As far as my Patreon goes, I need to reiterate that I've clearly stated that I couldn't make any specific guarantees regarding any particular project listed on the campaign page. I hope that no-one was confused about that because, having provided the warning, I can't hold myself responsible for any specific reason that anyone chooses to become a patron. I am sorry that "Sonic Megamix" couldn't be completed as it was envisioned, but I will continue on with my new plans for its material, and I'm still developing HCGE, the project for which the campaign was primarily launched (Sonic Megamix having been noted only as one of a couple of side-projects)

While I'm not actually able to work on any of those projects at the moment, I want to thank those who are still currently contributing to the campaign. Your continued support helps provide me with stability for future progress with my personal projects and creating/acquiring other potential opportunities

Closing

Again, I felt it appropriate to share this information now rather than later, but it's still going to be a while before any of what I have planned surfaces. For now, I'll still be hard at work on the contract project. It's looking like I'll actually be able to reveal (not release) it in the near future, and I feel like many people will be pretty pleased with it if all goes well. Naturally, I'm biased, but I hope you'll agree that it's time well-spent :P

So yeah its more or less dead as a current project, but the source will be released and we will get 1 last build.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well, I'm disappointed, but I can't say I'm surprised. Megamix has given me far more enjoyment than it had any given right to, considering it was a ROM hack I paid nothing for. To complain that it's not finished or that there should have been more would be unfair, in the least, given that Team Megamix didn't owe a "finished" product to anybody. 

As it stands, Megamix has given us two almost entirely different games, one of the Genesis and one on the CD. Both are incredibly well built considering they've been crafted by fans working for their own enjoyment. They might not be "complete" but they are rounded experiences that are a joy to play each and every time. I'm incredibly glad we have them as they are at all. I'm also excited to hear the engine is coming, as I think it will elevate the fan projects scene in its wake. 

I'll probably give Megamix CD another run through today, and if you haven't given any of this a shot yet, you owe it to yourself. The Mega Drive version is up as a Workshop mod for Sonic 1 in the Mega Drive Classics Room, so that's a great place to start with this incredible hack.