Awoo.

The Ace Attorney Topic (DS, 3DS, iOS) - News in OP

Agent York

Upcoming Game Info:

• Dai Gyakuten Saiban/The Great Ace Attorney (3DS) coming to Japan
  • Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney (3DS) NA release: 08/29
  • Ace Attorney Trilogy (3DS) Coming to eShop in NA/EU Winter 2014

Just a few moments ago, Ace Attorney 5 was announced for unknown platforms, and Ace Attorney 1, 2, & 3 were announced to be getting HD versions on iOS devices which compiled the first three games into one.

c20120129_gyaku5_01_cs1w1_720x.jpg

c20120129_gyaku5_02_cs1w1_720x.jpg

News Sources:
http://www.famitsu.c...1/29009127.html
http://news.dengeki....000/452/452047/

Details and translations hopefully coming soon, speculation that Ace Attorney 5 is for the 3DS.

Some screens for Ace Attorney 123HD:

l_4f24f55885d7a.jpgl_4f24f55c3b5a1.jpgl_4f24f55b2f2a1.jpgl_4f24f55a9b118.jpg

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 2

Oh my God.

Yes.

I have no idea how happy I am for this, it's most likely going to be localized as well, RIGHT? RIGHT?!

I'm so glad Phoenix Wright is taking the helm once again!

Edited by Ultimate Spidey
  • Thumbs Up 1

OMFG! This is awesome news to wake up to. Can't wait to see Ace Attorney 5 biggrin.png I don't have an iOS device for the HD versions of 1 and 2, so I'll have to skip those. My brother has a couple and I don't think he's played these games, so I'll try and get him interested tongue.png

Here's hoping Ace Attorney 5 will see release outside of Japan smile.png

EDIT: I can't see anything in the Google translations that say who is starring in Ace Attorney 5. Would be cool to see Phoenix star again.

EDIT: I can't see anything in the Google translations that say who is starring in Ace Attorney 5. Would be cool to see Phoenix star again.

I'll change the topic title until we're certain. Details from the event are still coming and there's a lot of word from several boards and news sources. Just got to see how this rolls out.

I'm so glad Phoenix Wright is taking the helm once again!

Was it ever excplicitly stated that Wright's going to be the character though?

I mean it would make sense since they're porting the 3 Wright games and NOT Apollo Justice, but I wouldn't be so sure.

I definitely hope we get Wright back, though.

Seeing as investigations 2 and PW vs Layton weren't localized, I have no faith that these will be either.

Capcom answered in a livestream Q&A session last week that they're still considering localizing Ace Attorney Investigations 2 in the west. They confirmed at the very least it's still a possibility.

This is awesome! I've never actually played one of these games for more than thirty minutes, so getting the first three in HD would be a great introduction to the series. Any news on when exactly we might see these?

Capcom answered in a livestream Q&A session last week that they're still considering localizing Ace Attorney Investigations 2 in the west. They confirmed at the very least it's still a possibility.

Same thing they said about PW vs Layton. Yet we've heard nothing about a localization.

I certainly do not hope that Phoenix shows up in AA5.

Don't get me wrong, he's my favorite character in the whole series. But if Phoenix is the star of AA5 then that sliver of hope for fleshing out Apollo and the gang will be officially dead. Apollo's future was more or less deemed nonexistent after Capcom decided to milk the original trilogy for all its worth, but now there is finally a chance that he'll make a comeback. I hated AA4, but there's nothing I want more out of the Ace Attorney series than a proper sequel that gives Apollo the justice he deserves.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't see why they wouldn't at least localize the HD Ports of the First 3 games, considering the first 1 is already Ported. I have it on my iPhone.

I certainly do not hope that Phoenix shows up in AA5.

Don't get me wrong, he's my favorite character in the whole series. But if Phoenix is the star of AA5 then that sliver of hope for fleshing out Apollo and the gang will be officially dead. Apollo's future was more or less deemed nonexistent after Capcom decided to milk the original trilogy for all its worth, but now there is finally a chance that he'll make a comeback. I hated AA4, but there's nothing I want more out of the Ace Attorney series than a proper sequel that gives Apollo the justice he deserves.

What did they do to Apollo that was bad? I probably wouldn't mind him returning, either. But I never got to see or play any of the games he starred in.

Edited by Ultimate Spidey

AA4 was just another Phoenix Wright game told in the perspective of some rookie lawyer who gets no character development or story arc of his own, nor does he get to really factor all that importantly in the climax of the game.

All of the cases in AA4 were terrible, too. It had really good new characters, it just didn't take advantage of them and instead it wanted to focus on the only returning main character from the first three games even though his story was perfectly wrapped up in AA3 and Takumi originally wanted to focus on the new cast only.

I've been pumped for an AJ2 ever since. The potential is there, and the ending of the game means that some major adjustments may be made to the game's trial system. Capcom just doesn't want to take it on for whatever reason.

• Thumbs Up 2

I want to know what the hell happened to Maya and Pearl. AA4 didn't explain anything regarding them and it bugged the crap out of me :T.

AA4 was just another Phoenix Wright game told in the perspective of some rookie lawyer who gets no character development or story arc of his own, nor does he get to really factor all that importantly in the climax of the game.

All of the cases in AA4 were terrible, too. It had really good new characters, it just didn't take advantage of them and instead it wanted to focus on the only returning main character from the first three games even though his story was perfectly wrapped up in AA3 and Takumi originally wanted to focus on the new cast only.

I've been pumped for an AJ2 ever since. The potential is there, and the ending of the game means that some major adjustments may be made to the game's trial system. Capcom just doesn't want to take it on for whatever reason.

Oh, I can understand that. I'd still consider getting AA5 even if I prefer the old cast since I'm so used to them. It'd be a nice way to introduce me into the new characters.

I want to know what the hell happened to Maya and Pearl. AA4 didn't explain anything regarding them and it bugged the crap out of me :T.

Yeah, I was wondering about that too, maybe they went back to do training with the Spirits?

Yeah, I was wondering about that too, maybe they went back to do training with the Spirits?

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that was their explanation. It would be such a cop out.

Does anyone else think that the HD versions look a little ugly? :S They look like they've kind of badly traced over the sprites with vector graphics, and the Maya screen in particular looks a little messy and clumsy.

If they get localised though, I'll certainly be getting them either way- the original Ace Attorney is among my top ten favourite games. I don't see why they shouldn't be, mind- they're all existing games, they wouldn't have much work to do in terms of translation, it'd purely be from a technical standpoint. I am kind of glad I held off buying the original Ace Attorney for iOS, now.

As for AA5, I'm assuming it's a given that it'll be on 3DS, given the homes of the previous Ace Attorney games, although an iOS version is probably inevitable, too. In terms of content, I similarly hope that they ignore Phoenix as much as possible. He was cheaply shoehorned into AA4 and felt pretty out of place, and in addition to that he basically stole all of Apollo's thunder. It annoyed me that any and all of the original cast were outright ignored and not even mentioned. I don't want them to focus on Phoenix or the original trilogy's cast, because they've milked it for all it's worth and bloated it to bursting point by tacking on and retconning plot points in every available orifice. I'd much rather they continue with the relatively blank slate that was AA4.

EDIT: Incidentally, AA4 is actually my second favourite of the series.

Edited by -Mark-

At a glance, the sprites look to me like the original drawn artwork before the GBA compression (except for Maya, she does look pretty bad here). I wouldn't know though - but using the original art is what they should be doing.

Why do I have a feeling that they're not going to bother with filling in extra frames for smoother animation?

• Thumbs Up 1

I was thinking that, actually- I mean, GBA and DS have fairly low resolutions- I hate to even think this, but it could just be that the original artwork has these imperfections and that they didn't bother fixing them since they knew that the low resolution of the handhelds would disguise them.

Seeing as investigations 2 and PW vs Layton weren't localized, I have no faith that these will be either.

My thoughts exactly. I'll promise to be really excited if we get news of localisation. But every super-awesome game that doesn't get see release outside Japan just feels like Capcom going "nyernyernyernyernyernyer-nyer!"

• Thumbs Up 1

Seriously, if Ace Attorney vs Layton DOESN'T get localised, Capcom can go die in a fire. mellow.png(More realistically, it just means that they suck and fail in my opinion)

Like I said though, I think at the very least the HD ports have more of a chance of making it to these shores- being ports, much of the work has already been done, and games are always likely to sell more on iOS and mobile platforms, meaning they're much more likely to break even or profit without too much effort. AA5 on the other hand seems a lot shakier, given it's a brand new game and would need a total localisation from scratch.

Seriously, if Ace Attorney vs Layton DOESN'T get localised, Capcom can go die in a fire. mellow.png(More realistically, it just means that they suck and fail in my opinion)

I'm sorry, I'll stop xD

• Thumbs Up 1

The fact that Ghost Trick's iOS port hasn't been brought over to the west yet doesn't fill me with too much hope that the HD ports of the trilogy will make it here either.