Awoo.

The Ace Attorney Topic (DS, 3DS, iOS) - News in OP

Agent York

Dang, even figures like Kamiya are calling Capcom out for their lousy localization stances with DGS.

Sincerely, I think at first it was probably jitters over the copyright status of Sherlock Holmes; although the character is in the public domain now, certain stories are still under copyright in the U.S. and can't be referenced without paying the Doyle estate.  Later, it was probably because, as I understand it, the games didn't actually perform very well.  It's still possible we might get a Switch compilation, but given that the whole series has been hanging on a localisation precipice whereby we almost didn't get Dual Destinies at all, then I'm not optimistic.

I’d honesty prefer Investigations 2 getting a proper port, if any game is gonna get one in a hypothetical Switch port. 

54 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I’d honesty prefer Investigations 2 getting a proper port, if any game is gonna get one in a hypothetical Switch port. 

Oh, it likely is. What's doubtful is any place overseas getting it. 

I’m sure the fans will do Capcom’s localisation job again. 

Man, he really is edgeworthless to Capcom.

Meh, either way I'd like a proper port of the game that I can play on a portable console.

And I just realised, AA ports on Switch will likely have the format of the IOS versions. Oh god, I hope they don't have the atrocious text speed of that version.

Realize that they didn't even bother translating the IOS version of AAI2. Why would they finally do it with the Switch if nothing else?

And I just found out Great AA has already received an IOS port.

I don't even get the sense of placing the effort into remastering the games for that market and then leaving out arguably two of the strongest markets for mobile titles. 

1 minute ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

And I just found out Great AA has already received an IOS port.

I don't even get the sense of placing the effort into remastering the games for that market and then leaving out arguably two of the strongest markets for mobile titles. 

Who else but Capcom, old friend?

Just now, Jovahexeon Ghost Trick said:

Who else but Capcom, old friend?

"Let's make Mega Man ports and then have them run worse than the NES versions!" 

"Let's make Ace Attorney on IOS and have a reference to the Harlem Shake!" 

"Let's put Bad Box Art Mega Man into a fighting game!" 

"Let's make Ace Attorney an digital exclusive series and if you don't wanna play Phoenix/Apollo titles, you're shit out of luck chum!" 

And there's another wonderful thought, we'll likely not even get a physical release for the game.

3 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Let's make Ace Attorney on IOS and have a reference to the Harlem Shake!" 

Oh, ah Ryann. That was in the original DS version well before the meme version of Harlem Shake even became a thing,  to be fair. 

Funnily enough though,  that case does take place in 2013. :P

1 minute ago, Jovahexeon Ghost Trick said:

Oh, ah Ryann. That was in the original DS version well before the meme version of Harlem Shake even became a thing,  to be fair. 

Funnily enough though,  that case does take place in 2013. :P

I'm not sure if I should give some praise for being so on point with that prediction...or chringe at the fact technically a bad meme got into the game. It's like - the timeless and funny writing of AA...then random memes before memes because a thing.

I swear if I replay Trials and Tribulations and find a "de wae" reference, there's someone travelling in time to screw with us.

Just now, Ryannumber1gamer said:

or chringe at the fact technically a bad meme got into the game. It's like - the timeless and funny writing of AA...then random memes before memes because a thing.

Except it's not. Because the reference was to the original song. You can't blame the game for what a meme became. 

Just now, Jovahexeon Ghost Trick said:

Except it's not. Because the reference was to the original song. You can't blame the game for what a meme became. 

I wasn't even aware there was an original song, that's why I thought it was a writing change they threw into the remake. The harlem shake has become a part of the past that I do not wish to remember.

And to be fair, Marvin Grossberg doing the Harlem Shake is not an image I really need to think about.

I don't really care if we never get Dai Gyakuten Saiban, but I want GK2 to be released someday. Obviously Capcom won't bother since it doesn't star Phoenix, though.

I also have a feeling that "Phoenix is what sells AA games" is a mentality that exists over in Japan though, but to a lesser degree. It's most certainly the reason why Phoenix returned to main character status in AA5.

38 minutes ago, Sean said:

I also have a feeling that "Phoenix is what sells AA games" is a mentality that exists over in Japan though, but to a lesser degree. It's most certainly the reason why Phoenix returned to main character status in AA5.

To be fair, he technically never left that status even in Ace Attorney 4. :U Even though I like that game (not as much as the others but I digress),

Spoiler

Let's be honest Apollo was more of a playable assistant to Phoenix for the main story of that game.

That said, he his character was not that well handled in AA4, so bringing him back as a lawyer was the main grab of AA5, and for better on.

My point being that even Capcom of Japan doesn't think a mainline Ace Attorney game can attract an audience without Phoenix in the central role. It's why they forced Takumi to shoehorn in Phoenix in AA4 (and essentially nobody else from the trilogy) and why we never had a chance of having another solo Apollo game afterwards.

7 hours ago, Sean said:

My point being that Capcom doesn't think a mainline Ace Attorney game can be sustained without Phoenix in the central role.

Well, it may be a self-fulfilled prophecy but thanks to such, they might be right. :U

7 hours ago, Sean said:

It's why they forced Takumi to shoehorn in Phoenix in AA4 (and essentially nobody else from the trilogy)

Ugh, to this day, AA4 has done so much damage that now has to be gradually undone in that regard.

That said, them going with that line of thought with AAI for not selling well, will never stop annoying me. Since they never seem to consider the lack of Multi-5 language support for the first time ever with that game being a factor of it not selling as well as the others.Nope, they just blamed it on being a spin-off.

Hell, in that regard with DGS, they could so easily tie it to Phoenix with his ancestor.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

So,  despite the all the worries,  troubles,  trials and tribulations,  we're getting..... uh. 

Trials and Tribulations! Looks like Season 2 will hopefully be focused primarily on the third game alone! 

Which would mean much better pacing this time around than Season 1!

An entire season for only Trials and Tribulations? That's uh, that's interesting.

I mean, I'm not arguing, I wanted T&T to get adapted over Justice for All, just seems weird it's going to be the entirety of one season as opposed to say T&T and maybe Edgeworth Investigations or Apollo or something. 

Still though, it'll likely mean no cases get skipped over this time like The Lost Turnabout and Rise from the Ashes did in the original season (I'm half-expecting a season to release for Apollo and them half-assing it by explaining Ashes in some random flashback that lasts like a minute. One of the more important cases in the first game for later characters in the series reduced down to a quick flashback to just explain why Ema is here).

Just now, Ryannumber1gamer said:

An entire season for only Trials and Tribulations? That's uh, that's interesting.

I mean, I'm not arguing, I wanted T&T to get adapted over Justice for All, just seems weird it's going to be the entirety of one season as opposed to say T&T and maybe Edgeworth Investigations or Apollo or something. 

Honestly speaking, adapting the entirety of each Ace Attorney game into 12 episodes each was asking for trouble in Season 1.

With this practice,  Season 2 can give t&T the love and care it deserves,  and possibly have room for the equally deserving Rise From the Ashes Turnabout,  maybe even have more original episodes like The 13th episode.

I didn't find it as big a problem for the original game, with the only real case that annoyed me being Rise from the Ashes which considering the insane length of the original case, really needed some kind of adapt, especially since the story does come back in later titles. Justice for All if I remember got hit worse however, missing cases, portions being abridged, and for some ungodly reason, Big Top Turnabout being adapted (which for the third time successfully killed interest). I still need to watch the final Justice for All episodes because of Big Top Turnabout being so boring.

If it's the same length as Season 1 and they only have one original episode like Season 1, I'm somewhat worried it'll take the opposite direction and pad out the cases to fill the run time.