Awoo.

The Ace Attorney Topic (DS, 3DS, iOS) - News in OP

Agent York

$30 seems reasonable enough, would like it to be a few bucks cheaper but I'll live. Hopefully this means a release date announcement is around the corner. I can't believe they held off on telling us for this long.

$30.00 is bullshit. AA games, while fun, seriously lack replayability and usually only have 1 or 2 good cases.

I could understand $30 if it was a retail game, but this is digital-only.

Should have known. Should have fucking known.

• Thumbs Up 2

I can see why some would be pissed with that price, especially with it being digital only, but I never expected anything less than that so I guess that's why I'm okay with it for the most part. Speaking of it being digital only, looks like it's gonna stay that way no matter how much people demand for it.

Kinnikumask asks: Is there still any hope for a physical release of Dual Destinies in the west?

Eshiro: In response to fan feedback we looked into a western physical release of Dual Destinies but from the beginning of the project, one of our goals has been to bring the game to the western market much more quickly than we have been able to in the past. As text adventures, the Ace Attorney games require a lot of time for localization, so we really moved the proverbial mountains and had a lot of people work very hard to get the text localized as quickly as possible—while of course maintaining the high quality level fans are accustomed to.

As part of this, we made the decision to release on digital only in the west in order to take manufacturing time out of the equation and allow the release date to be as early as possible. So the answer is, no, Dual Destinies will be a digital download-only release in the west.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/xantista/blog/2013/08/26/dual-destines-q-a-ace-attorney-producer-motohide-eshiro-answers-your-questions

In slightly better news, we are getting all the DLC, including college Feenie from AA3, so that's cool I guess.

Not completely true, one of the DLC cases has quizzes removed that would only make sense to people who are Japanese.

Should've specified and said all the DLC costumes because while we're not getting the quizzes, we're getting the reward from that, which is the college Feenie costume. My bad.

$30.00 is bullshit. AA games, while fun, seriously lack replayability and usually only have 1 or 2 good cases.

I could understand $30 if it was a retail game, but this is digital-only.

Should have known. Should have fucking known.

What? 3DS games are typically $40. If anything, you're spending the same amount as you would when an AA game came out on the DS.
  • Thumbs Up 1

And the prices those went for were bullshit too.

There's a reason the HD trilogy only costs $15. These aren't huge games. And after AA4, I doubt it's even going to match the quality of the first 3. 

And there's still the DLC to take into account. So it's more than just $30, the final product is probably going to be closer to $40, which would be outrageous.

I'll get it, but I do kinda wish they had priced it closer to Okami HD's $20.

I honestly expected them to go balls out and sell the game for $40.  $30 is a rather nice surprise for me.

• Thumbs Up 3

There's a reason the HD trilogy only costs $15.

Because those games are old.

$30 is a very pleasant surprise and an acceptable price for a new game. Most people expected it to be more than this.

• Thumbs Up 4

Each of them sold at £30 new and now I could get them all for £12 in iOS. I don't see why people are shocked, most new games are released at £35-40 regardless. £30 is actually a nice surprise!

Seems simple to me.  They're pricing it as a full retail title, which it is in Japan.  The fact that it isn't getting a physical release in the west is to a certain extent immaterial.  Whether physical releases and digital releases in general should cost the same is another matter; on the one hand, digital doesn't have the same manufacturing costs, but on the other, you don't want the digital release to cannibalise sales of the physical release... in AA5's case, likely they'd be concerned about whether a budget price in the western release might be seen to undervalue or devalue the game and lose the custom of people who would assume it wasn't, if you like, a "real game" (the same reason the eShop has higher prices than other app stores), and they also don't want the price comparison to cause Japanese purchasers to feel poorly-treated (no qualms about western purchasers feeling that way though!).  There are a lot of factors at play here.

...I'm kind of wondering whether it's my place to comment, as I've never bought an AA game before.  I have my eye on this one, though; I think it's about time I tried the series out.  Right when its future in my region is in doubt.

I said before that I'd be okay with a $30 price so I'm not really mad over it, but depending on how much the DLC is priced I'm probably going to hesitate a bit before getting them. I might just skip out on the costumes altogether if Capcom charges more than $3 for it.

(Revised my previous post because now that I think about it, $5 for the DLC case would be fair, but if it's $10 then I'll balk.)

What? How is $30 bad? This is a brand new game that almost didn't come out here at all and yet people are complaining about it getting a budget price when most 3DS games, physical or digital go on sale for $50-60?

Some people will just look for any excuse to get mad at Capcom for this game.

If people refuse to buy it for unreasonably self-entitled reasons you only have yourselves to blame if we never get another Ace Attorney game localised again. If you think it's as simple as "Capcom West just suck" you haven't been following their attempts to get localisation on AAI2 for the last 3 years. It's not up to Capcom West.

If Capcom of Japan don't see good sales with this game, they'll say "we were right, we're not wasting our money to localise an Ace Attorney game in the west ever again." You do know why it's not even getting a physical version right? Physical versions mean paying for manufacturing, marketing, store/shelf space, shipments, and more, when it comes to a game that Capcom of Japan are convinced is going to waste them money, why would they "waste" even more on a physical version when they can distribute it digitally for a tiny fraction of thar price.

So the least you could do is be happy we're getting the game at all and at a budget price! I bet you anything Senran Kagura will be more expensive than this but no one will give it shit because lel so long as it's not Capcom it's ok.

I'm not refusing to buy it, and I am happy we're getting it.

But there's no way you're going to convince me this game should be more than $20 over here. Making it E-shop exclusive and little to no marketing is basically killing any chance of meeting Capcom's bullshit sales expectations were already bad enough. The least they could have done was drop the price a little more.

It wouldn't have repercussions doing so. It isn't costing anything to produce physically.

I'm not refusing to buy it, and I am happy we're getting it.

But there's no way you're going to convince me this game should be more than $20 over here. Making it E-shop exclusive and little to no marketing is basically killing any chance of meeting Capcom's bullshit sales expectations were already bad enough. The least they could have done was drop the price a little more.

It wouldn't have repercussions doing so. It isn't costing anything to produce physically.

Every previous AA game went on the market for £30/$50 when they first came out on DS in the west, this is a fraction of the price and has way higher production valies.

I don't understand why being that much cheaper still isn't good enough.

And yeah the sales won't be amazing but they'll sell to the people who really want it and that's who Capcom wants to give it to. There's no marketing because marketing is one of the most expensive parts of game development, and as I said before Capcom of Japan are being extremely conservative because they don't want to waste their precious money.

I'm very happy with the price. It's far less than I'm used to paying for a brand new AA game, and this AA game has high quality music, 3D models, anime scenes, model animations, etc, whereas previous games used simple sprites.

Why would you complain about this when it's so much better a deal than the original games were?

Why would you complain about this when it's so much better a deal than the original games were?

Because unlike Previous games I won't actually be owning this one? If my 3DS breaks, I'm fucked, and have to buy it again.

I won't go on another "Nintendo's online is shit" rant, but let me put it this way: Okami HD is fully built from the ground up. It is a much much longer and expansive game than AA5. It is a 6x bigger file than AA5. It is $20 and is tied to my account rather than my system. If the service goes down I can still back up my game and move it to another system if mine breaks.

What about this game is a good deal again?

You missed the "Built from the ground up" part apparently. It went through development just like any other game.

If it was a direct PS2 classics port, it probably would have been $5-$10.

I also like how you ignored all my other points.

Because unlike Previous games I won't actually be owning this one? If my 3DS breaks, I'm fucked, and have to buy it again.

I won't go on another "Nintendo's online is shit" rant, but let me put it this way: Okami HD is fully built from the ground up. It is a much much longer and expansive game than AA5. It is a 6x bigger file than AA5. It is $20 and is tied to my account rather than my system. If the service goes down I can still back up my game and move it to another system if mine breaks.

What about this game is a good deal again?

If your 3DS breaks (it probably won't) more often than not, Nintendo can get your account stuff back for you. The times when they can't are increasingly rare.

Okami HD is a port.

Ace Attorney 5 is a 100% new game made from 100% new resources on a new engine on a new console that Capcom had never made an AA game on before, and it's far far cheaper than any other game in the series has ever been at launch.

What the fuck man, what about that isn't a good deal? You can't just compare every game to HD remasters because this is nothing like an HD remaster of a game that's been out for over half a decade. This is a completely new game with completely new models and animations for tons of characters, new orchestrated music (not cheap), new engine, new console development cycle.

You missed the "Built from the ground up" part apparently. It went through development just like any other game.

If it was a direct PS2 classics port, it probably would have been $5-$10.

It.. wasn't "ground up" in the sense you seem to be assuming it is though. It's been remodelled to an extent like Sonic Adventure DX was (which was also called ground up and sold at full price despite most of the game being identical), but they didn't make the entire thing from scratch, there is absolutely no financial sense in a move like that because Okami is an expensive as fuck game to make that sold fuck all and Capcom are eternally hesitant to push. Wherever you heard that it was ground up is probably not the truth. Forcing a game into HD like on PS2 classics is not the same as retooling a game with HD graphics. If that were the case, they would have just released the HD Metal Gear Solid games on the PS2 classics section rather than calling them "Metal Gear Solid 2 HD" and so on.

Also; no new resources were needed for Okami HD. It's not like they made new music or sound effects or game engine or anything like that.

Jesus you're complaining about a COMPLETELY NEW game being half the price it otherwise would be (and is in Japan). Are you quite certain you're not just looking for reasons to get angry at it? Do you treat every game that's more expensive than Okami HD but still digital only like this? Because if so your standards are pretty warped and I'm sorry for all the great games you'll miss because you compare them to the price of the HD edition of an 8 year old badly selling PS2 game.

Your logic is pretty ridiculous and self-entitled. There is absolutely nothing bad at getting a game for half the price most people expected it would be going by the series' history????

Edited by SuperLink

Except it was built from the ground up?

You don't take a 4GB game and make it 6.2GB by adding new textures.

And just because the previous games were a ridiculous price doesn't make this price justified. I'm pretty sure people aren't calling the Vita price drop a good deal.

And you shouldn't have to contact Nintendo to recover your data. That's asinine. 

But I'm not debating this further. It's going in circles, and I'm going to waste my money on a game I probably won't play more than once just like everyone else.

Except it was built from the ground up?

You don't take a 4GB game and make it 6.2GB by adding new textures.

Actually, yes you do, HD textures are far bigger in filesize than SD textures? And anything that needed compressing for the Wii or PS2 versions i.e. sound files or image files did not need to be compressed due to the lack of filesize limits on PSN, especially if it was released from re-worked source code.

If you have a reputable source to say they remade the engine and every model and song from scratch, hit me up, but I'm pretty sure Capcom would sooner make a new Okami game than waste millions of dollars completely remaking an already massively expensive game that didn't sell.

And just because the previous games were a ridiculous price doesn't make this price justified.

Are you even an Ace Attorney fan at all? They were standard RRP for DS games. Because eveveryone knows that absolutely no effort or money goes into making visual novels right. Most of the PSP's successful catalogue in Japan were full-priced visual novels.

And you shouldn't have to contact Nintendo to recover your data. That's asinine.

Why would you automatically choose to buy a new 3DS instead of trying to get your old one fixed? Especially if it was still in warranty? If your 3DS breaks, are you just going to.. not call Nintendo? Pretty sure most people contact the manufacturer when their console breaks, it honestly isn't hard to ask for data to be recovered during that time?

But I'm not debating this further. It's going in circles, and I'm going to waste my money on a game I probably won't play more than once just like everyone else.

It's not a "waste of money" though! It's a bloody bargain compared to most games in the series! I seriously don't understand your logic at all. The Ace Attorney games last a long time and are very quality, they have just as much time put into them as any other game but somehow they're not worth $30 let alone $50?

Next you'll be saying that Layton, Ghost Trick, 999 and Virtue's Last Reward are rip offs.

They're not ripoffs in the least, tons of work and care have gone into these games and it sounds like you just don't give them the appreciation they deserve. And I honestly can't believe you're letting that false-bravado stand as the sole obstacle preventing you from supporting the future of a series that is so greatly loved from the few fans it has. Isn't it ok to just be happy with something good happening without getting mad at the small negative aspects. The fact it's happening at all is such a huge positive that it's impossible for me to care.

Edited by SuperLink

Are you even an Ace Attorney fan at all?

Don't bring bullshit Ad Hominems into this.

Why would I say I plan on buying this regardless of my beef with the price if I wasn't a fan?

Why would I say I plan on buying this regardless of my beef with the price if I wasn't a fan?

My question is why is your beef so huge when you're a "fan" and the game is a fraction of the price it would normally be.

You're getting the game for way cheaper than you otherwise would, and worrying about your 3DS breaking is so chance-based and incidental it's not worth getting mad at Capcom West for it. They could release the game at $20 and not get anywhere near to breaking even, that would send Capcom Japan a lovely message.