Awoo.

The Ace Attorney Topic (DS, 3DS, iOS) - News in OP

Agent York

So, akin to Dual Destinies, Ace Attorney 6 has made another collaboration with Japanese railway companies of Kanto, Toukai, and Kansai to bring AA6-inspired events to stations in those cities. Once again Phoenix is at the center, though this time joined by Maya and Apollo instead of Athena.

19iSxe0.jpg

Also, AxhuUg4.jpg

Phoenix Wright and company are also due to crossover with Puzzles & Dragons.

Heh, funny

Spoiler

Mentioning of that certain prosecutor picques my curiosity.

Having watched the subbed DLC skit, I'm now kind of confused on whether there's actually a returning character getting married or not...  It seems like it was just "that person"'s delusion.

37 minutes ago, FFWF said:

Having watched the subbed DLC skit, I'm now kind of confused on whether there's actually a returning character getting married or not...  It seems like it was just "that person"'s delusion.

The gist is that said person jumped to conclusions and thought they were said person and tried to convince the attorneys such. Turns out they're not,  but the hint still stands,  so it looks like we've got yet another returning character to come it seems. 

How does that link in with the anime footage, though?  That appeared to depict the bride and groom as totally new characters.

56 minutes ago, FFWF said:

How does that link in with the anime footage, though?  That appeared to depict the bride and groom as totally new characters.

Apparently there's either another wedding to be involved in the plot and/or the wedding we see is a part of the stretched truth uttered by "that character ".

1 hour ago, FFWF said:

Quote glitch.

Basically,  after it's revealed that you-know-who ain't the groom/bride,  in fact they were actually seen trying to force their way into the ceremony, the cast still reaffirms by the end,  that the character in question who fits the bill of having a name start with "M" and appear in both the Gyakuten Saiban and Gyakuten Kenji series,  is still a mystery left to be solved. 

This of course hints at candidates including:

Spoiler
  • Edgeworth (Mitsurugi)
  • Larry (Masashi)
  • Maggey (Mako)
  • Franziska (Mei)
  • Regina Berry (Mirika)
  • Penny Nichols (Mamiya)

Silly Phoenix, you and Maya were in Ace Attorney Investigations.

1304153-phoenixcameo.png

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

Silly Phoenix, you and Maya were in Ace Attorney Investigations.

1304153-phoenixcameo.png

Wouldn't be the first time,  we've been misled by one of these skits with the characters themselves forgetting such details. XD So,  maybe it is Mayoi to

Spoiler

someone other than Nick

So I was wondering, what is the most downright awful cases in AA history? Would be appreciated if you could give a bit of a detailed answer as I'm trying to get through Ace Attorney T&T, and it's a question I've been wondering for a whole.

Personally, keep in mind I've only played Phoenix Wright, and Justice for All to completion, so I don't know anything about T&T (Apart from Turnabout Beginnings), Apollo Justice, or Dual Destinies (I do have it so I'll be going through it after T&T).

To no one's surprise, mine is Big Top Turnabout. I've made it clear how much I despise this case. I've made it clear that it successfully managed to stop two of my playthroughs of the main trilogy because by the time I had completed it, I was just so fucking worn out with the damn case. There's a few good lines, but generally, every suspect/witness is a complete jackass in the case (Only character introduced I realistically liked was Regina, and that was because it was an airhead character taken to the absolute extreme in Ace Attorney). Moe is a fucking cringe inducing character, and the fact Maya keeps going along with his jokes only serve to make the situation more annoying. The puppet guy (I can't remember his name, it's that forgettable) is another annoying character as the entire idea of his personality is a timid guy, and an annoying egotistical puppet. Just think the more annoying nephew of Scarface from Batman, and you'll have the puppet guy. 

Acro really wasn't that sympathetic (How exactly it was Regina's fault when his brother was stupid enough to do what he did in the first place was incredibly idiotic), and Max wasn't a good witness whatsoever. It felt like it was meant to be a mix between Matt Engarde and Will Powers, but it failed because Will Powers' entire deal was that he looked like a tough idiot, when really at heart, he was a kindhearted guy who cared so much about his fans that he wouldn't even allow himself to be seen in public without his outfit in case he accidentally ruined a kid's love of the show. 

Matt worked because

Spoiler

It was a legit good twist, and introduced an really interesting conflict where Phoenix had to decide if he could get a guilty man off the hook in exchange for his friend. On top of that, Matt Engarde just goes so full on evil and over the top that you love to pull the rug right out from under him when you get the good ending, and you see his terrified face in knowing he'll either rot in a jail cell for the rest of his life, and still run the risk of being assassinated, or he'll be let free, but have to go into hiding anyway in order to spare himself the wrath of Shelley De Killer.

Max failed because we're meant to sympathize with him, but he ends up just being a egotistical asshole who acts like he's better than everyone, turns into a cry baby when he realizes something bad could happen to him, and then goes back into that personality when he's off the hook. It's an annoying character dynamic. 

Also, that goddamn circus theme.

@Ryannumber1gamer

Well Turnabout Big Top's pretty much the bottom of the absolute barrel by the fanbase's overall stance.

Only other things that've really been regarded as badly (or in some opinions even worse) than it are Turnabout Serenade from Apollo Justice, and Epilogue: The Last Inquisitor from Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright: Ace ATtorney.

I mean yeah, some other cases tend to be YMMV material, but they're all good at the very least.

And you're in the clear with Trials and Tribulations! Fantastic game, with an amazing soundtrack, and even the case considered the weakest in that game (Recipe For Turnabout) is considered a great case at least (probably helps that it was originally going to be the grand finale of Justice For All originally) by the mass majority, hell, it's my absolute favorite third case in the entire franchise. Enjoy!

• Thumbs Up 1

I found Turnabout Serenade to be much worse than Big Top. Primarily because whereas Big Top's biggest sin is having a cast of supporting characters designed to the core to piss you off, Serenade takes place in an alternate reality where basic human logic and common sense do not exist.

• Thumbs Up 4

Layton vs Ace Attorney's finale gets all of my hate because it completely ruins a perfectly fine game.

Spoiler

The only reason it sucks is because it goes full on Layton in the end when unraveling the mystery of Labyrinthia, instead of striking a nice balance like it did in the rest of the game prior.

"Magic doesn't exist, it's just an elaborate set of invisible machines littered all over town that are being ran by people in invisibility cloaks.  No, I'm not going to explain how I rigged the entire city of London with all the same equipment at the beginning of the game.  Also, you pass out whenever you hear silver being struck because the water tastes funny.  Also I, the big villain, have an incurable and fatal disease that was never once mentioned before, I thought I'd tell you now so you can feel sorry for me... Psyche!  My best friend, whom I drove to suicide a few months ago, created a cure before he unfortunately passed away.  Also, you should forgive the minor antagonist for killing hundreds of people when she was a kid, because it was totally my fault, but you shouldn't blame me either because reasons." 

And then they lived happily ever after.  Nobody got in trouble despite the big bad having over a hundred deaths on his résumé. 

It really sucks, because the game was so fucking cool before then.  Labyrinthia was such a unique town, and the rules behind how magic works was interesting, and the mystery behind the fire that devoured the town and the great witch behind it was the thread that linked everything and kept the plot going strong.  For it to fuck up so miserably in the end was heartbreaking.

• Thumbs Up 3

55 minutes ago, Nix said:

Layton vs Ace Attorney's finale gets all of my hate because it completely ruins a perfectly fine game.

Reveal hidden contents

The only reason it sucks is because it goes full on Layton in the end when unraveling the mystery of Labyrinthia, instead of striking a nice balance like it did in the rest of the game prior.

"Magic doesn't exist, it's just an elaborate set of invisible machines littered all over town that are being ran by people in invisibility cloaks.  No, I'm not going to explain how I rigged the entire city of London with all the same equipment at the beginning of the game.  Also, you pass out whenever you hear silver being struck because the water tastes funny.  Also I, the big villain, have an incurable and fatal disease that was never once mentioned before, I thought I'd tell you now so you can feel sorry for me... Psyche!  My best friend, whom I drove to suicide a few months ago, created a cure before he unfortunately passed away.  Also, you should forgive the minor antagonist for killing hundreds of people when she was a kid, because it was totally my fault, but you shouldn't blame me either because reasons." 

And then they lived happily ever after.  Nobody got in trouble despite the big bad having over a hundred deaths on his résumé. 

It really sucks, because the game was so fucking cool before then.  Labyrinthia was such a unique town, and the rules behind how magic works was interesting, and the mystery behind the fire that devoured the town and the great witch behind it was the thread that linked everything and kept the plot going strong.  For it to fuck up so miserably in the end was heartbreaking.

I swear to god, that one final chapter is hands down so diabolical that yes, I do agree with the fanbase faction that finds it even worse than Turnabout Big Top.

I can't stand Turnabout Big Top and Recipe for Turnabout. Regarding the latter, I just want to get on with the plot already since it's really interesting so far. But no I'm forced to play a completely unrelated case. The NPC's and gags are really annoying and forgettable. I hate this case. I haven't played T&T for months because I'm stuck on it. Ugh, I wish it was over already. Dampening the mood for an otherwise great game.

Seriously, the entire plot for Layton vs Ace Attorney could have been avoided if

Spoiler

The StoryTeller had just torn down that tower that was causing Espella such trauma and taken her to therapy.

But no, because lol, we need a wacky Layton-esque plot twist which makes everything more convoluted than it needs to be (really, invisible cranes? Covering over a tower with stupid pure black cloaks which NO-ONE EVER has run into, and NOTHING has gathered on it over the years?), and it all revolves around Espella, who I never really gave two shits about in the first place, and seeing as she is the main driving force of the plot, me not caring about her is a massive problem.

Also yeah, "I have a disease that has no cure. Oops, lol, it has a cure now 20 seconds after I said there wasn't one. Now I can live the rest of my life with no consequences for what I've done to Espella as well as, indirectly, the hundreds who died in that fire."

Also, even before the epilogue, in hindsight, the game started to fall apart when Barnham was just chucked into a dungeon, never to be seen again until the final cutscene, and his character was getting good too.

Of course, the stupid ending rendered all that moot.

I still can't believe that Akihiro Hino and Shu Takumi suddenly became so incompetent in that final chapter.

• Thumbs Up 2

I actually didn't mind Big Top Turnabout that much, though that might be partly because I got spoiled on a couple of details by this thread.  I think it's more because I have a pretty high tolerance for annoying characters, though.

Turnabout Serenade... oh yeah, that one!  Yeah, I'd agree that was dreadfully-written; I kept on expecting it to be brought up that the prosecution's case made no sense whatsoever, but it never ever was.  I'll generously put that down to the development of AA4 apparently being kind of a mess and suggest that with more time they could have tightened this up.

The Layton vs. Ace Attorney finale I kind of enjoyed precisely because it was so stupid.  I don't think I actually expected an explanation, so I just laughed the whole way through.  I admired the audacity of it but at the same time I recognise that it would have been better if the solution hadn't blatantly been invented to fit the premise rather than vice-versa.

Honestly, if you ask me for a bad case to put down, the one I personally enjoyed the least was Rise From The Ashes.  I like the ideas in the story, but it's a very long case that takes place after you've already experienced a perfectly good ending to the main story of the game.  I'm aware that this is because it was a bonus added to the game's DS rerelease, but honestly at that point I was completely fatigued of AA1 and really needed a more bite-sized bonus chapter.  It put me off playing the second game for months.

On 5/14/2016 at 9:41 AM, IniMeenieMiney-Jo-Vahexeon said:

It's because even in the original Japanese dubs the two are actually spelled differently.  This is to help differentiate them properly. 

Word from dataminers has it that one of the returning characters is

Reveal hidden contents

Larry Butz

And now that very same dataminer has a thread on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AceAttorney/comments/4jz917/spoilerstake_this_down_if_its_not_allowed_i/?sort=new#s

Listing some stuff on characters and cases primarily, visit datamining the demo more. It's thankfully nothing too spoilery,  and he only answers questions that won't spoil the actual story. 

Still,  if you wish to browse,  do so with caution. 

So, yeah there's been a blog for Ace Attorney 6 going on lately, and Yaazaki's recent two cents in it, are quite......well attention-grabbing to say the least:

http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/ace-attorney-spirit-justice-more-screens-revisualisation-blog-post-more/

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Spirit of Justice – Official blog

This week, the official blog for Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Spirit of Justice was launched. New blog posts will be added every Monday and Thursday, but we don’t know for how long. Today’s blog post is from Takeshi Yamazaki (Director), who talked about how he came up with the theme of the game. Thanks to Ash, we have a translation of the blog post to read (you can check out the “raw” translation at the source link below!).

For Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Dual Destinies, they went with “the destruction of the court”, but for this “sequel”, they needed something with more impact. But how can you top “the destruction of the court”?

Takeshi Yamazaki had several ideas:

• The birth of the court?
  • The evolution of the court?
  • The court in flames?
  • An ancient court?
  • A court beneath the sea?
  • A court in outer space?

Naturally, none of these themes were any good.  So when Motohide Eshiro (Producer) came, a rather amusing conversation took place (obviously fictionalised!):

• Eshiro: Still got no theme, eh? Lemme see what ya have. Ha, what kind of crap is this?!
  • Yamazaki: I’m terribly sorry. I’m doing my best.
  • Eshiro: Ah, I guess this is beyond yer ‘talents’. Of course, I never expected much of ya. Ya gonna quit? I’ve got more than enough replacements for ya *grin*
  • Yamazaki: NOOOOOOOoooooo!

After some more thinking and discussions, they came up with “The revolution of the court” as the theme. But at the meeting where it was announced, Takeshi Yamazaki wasn’t quite able to explain what it would be about. He further clarified it, explaining that it meant “the suppressed weak defeat the strong” for him.

He explained that a revolution was, in a way, a kind of grand turnabout. Obviously, they needed a confrontation to go with that theme, but since things were quite vague back then, they ended up with the following piece of concept-art:

http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Ace-Attorney-6-theme.jpg

Ace Attorney 6 theme“OUR REVOLUTION WILL START NOW”

With the help of the team, Takeshi Yamazaki and Motohide Eshiro eventually came up with Khurai’n, and the dual-protagonist story.

The next blog post will be by the planner, Mr. Daigo.

Source: Famitsu / Capcom / Official blog / 4Gamer.net
Translation by: Ash

Man, 'dat concept art.

Major news detail on Ace Attorney 6, and that special.....battle to come:

Spoiler

wlCLoi4.jpg

The bigger headlines say: 'start of the heated discussion of Apollo vs Phoenix', 'A battle about ownership of evidence', 'a tag-team of Apollo and Athena' and 'Prosecutor Blackquill as the assistant of the defense'.

http://forums.court-records.net/viewtopic.php?p=1354192

Potential spoilers abound so be careful. 

tumblr_inline_o80ejh3XMi1ryx305_540.jpg

So, AA is getting it's first novel with brand new story:

Spoiler

The novel, “Turnabout Idol”, is written by Mie Takase and releases June 15th.  The idol Sumomo Momogaya is arrested after an incident at a shopping mall, and Phoenix takes on her defense.  Again, Amazon or import sites!

Hope I can find a way to read this, because I can't read Japanese to save my life.

• Thumbs Up 1

So,  yeah Ace Attorney takes place in 2016, and believe it or not, of you'll recall that ever special moment in Turnabout Goodbyes. ....

Spoiler

CkCn4jdXIAAp9sg.jpg

Well someone called it bigtime. 

• Thumbs Up 1

So thanks to Puzzles and Dragons wr now have clean rips of Apollo's new objection theme 

And the new pursuit theme

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

No matter what happens.......

these awesome Sengoku Basara DLC costumes better be in the localized version.

配信開始:6月23日予定
価格:143円(税抜)

成歩堂龍一:伊達政宗の服

奥州筆頭、成歩堂龍一!?法廷でレッツパーリィー!してしまいそうな衣装だ。

3.jpg
王泥喜法介:真田幸村の服

熱血弁護士・王泥喜には、アツく滾る武将・幸村の衣装がよく似合う!

4.jpg
希月心音:徳川家康の服

ココロを救う弁護士・心音には、拳で戦い、絆で天下統一を目指す家康の衣装!

5.jpg

※コスチュームパックは一部コスチュームが反映されない場面もございます。
※「戦国バサラ コラボコスチュームパック」のコスチュームは、本編第1話クリア後から選択できます。
※「数量限定特典」および「早期購入特典」のコンテンツを入手していただくには、ニンテンドー3DS本体が無線でインターネット通信できる環境と「逆転裁判6」のセーブデータが必要です。

• Thumbs Up 2

So GameSpot interviewed Ace Attorney producer Motohide Eshiro and recent series director Takeshi Yamazaki, and I'm just going to quote the same bits Court-Records.net did on localisation as they're really very relevant:

The localizations of the Phoenix Wright games take place in a vague "Japanamerica," and many cases are steeped in Japanese culture. Some of these themes may not translate well for some players. What are the challenges of localizing this series?

Eshiro: First of all, the game is made in Japan, so we make it in Japanese and the staff doesn't think about the localization at all. Once you start thinking about it, then you have to consider so many things, and you start locking yourself into a little space, right? To keep it so that they can make as creative of a product as possible, as creative of a story as possible, we don't think about the localization, we just make it as interesting as we can. When localization happens, I will sit down with [the team] and say, okay, this part should probably be localized because I'm not sure a lot of people outside of Japan would understand it. And he might say, "Well, let's keep it because it's important to the story or this character." Through this back and forth we decide the bigger picture of what to keep and what not to keep Japanese in that sense.

I based some of my decisions on the times. For example, nowadays people [in the West] know what ramen is but 10 years ago people didn't know what ramen was in the same way. I do go through and adjust, fine-tune what needs localizing and what doesn't based on what people know at that time.

I think it's significant in regards to a lot of discussions going on right now in the gaming community about localisation that we have here a Japanese developer confirming that they develop their games with a laser focus on the Japanese audience, without necessarily considering how things would play for an international community, and that often it's they as developers who are pushing for changes rather than for the retaining of Japanese elements.

Will we ever get a localized version of Daigyakuten Saiban?

Janet Hsu (Translator): Unfortunately there's a number of circumstances... We absolutely do want to bring it to the West, but unfortunately due to these circumstances right now... I'm really really sorry! Nowadays on the Internet lots of fans are directly asking us, "Where's Daigyakuten Saiban?" On livestreams, even in the Japanese ones, people from the West will write in and ask where it is. Every time we say, we're sorry! Certain circumstances are kind of getting in the way.

DGS has been kind of an interesting case all along, as AA6 was immediately confirmed for a localisation alongside its announcement, I gather that Dual Destinies was confirmed for localisation pretty quickly again, but with DGS there's been no word.  It's hard to imagine what kind of circumstances could be holding it back, but it seems unlikely to be just some nebulous "translation difficulties."

Edit: Interestingly, the article's been updated to note that translator Janet Hsu specifically answered the latter question, indicating it may be a western-side issue; being too occupied with other higher-priority games is an explanation that's been suggested.  I still don't buy any explanation based on what I've learned of narrative or cultural issues in the game, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Yo, yo, yo, Maya with English voice acting is in the house!

And it's rated T ... man, that's just going make DD  M rating even more weird.

• Thumbs Up 1