Awoo.

The Ace Attorney Topic (DS, 3DS, iOS) - News in OP

Agent York

I'm rather excited for this. I've only played the original three games and half of Dual Destinies, and have been wanting to try out Apollo Justice, so getting an IOS version is sounding really good to me. If I like it, I might try to track down the original DS game.

Hopefully this means we'll see Investigations HD, and maybe. JUST MAYBE. INVESTIGATIONS 2 AT LONG FUCKING LAST.

• 1 month later...

Ladies and gentlemen,  we have ourselves a launch trailer!

Reminder that this game comes out when the clock strikes:December!

• 4 weeks later...

Is your official reminder that as we speak today, Turnabout Goodbyes is coming to its conclusion:

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

In other news,  the second half of the soundtrack for the Ace Attorney anime is out and available !

22 minutes ago, Zippo said:

I really need to get into this series already. I've heard nothing but great things.

If you have a Nintendo 3DS, you should start with the Phoenix Wright Trilogy, which is the first 3 games remastered. If you don't have a 3DS, you can still get the originals on Amazon for cheap.

You can get the first 3 games on Wii. I think that storefront is still up. It's a really comfortable way to play them.

The 3DS trilogy has ugly updated art and missing animation frames. 

One thing's for sure, avoid the IOS trilogy at all costs if you can!

I'm still trying to choose between the DS, 3DS and Wiiware versions. So many choices. 

20 hours ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

One thing's for sure, avoid the IOS trilogy at all costs if you can!

What's wrong with them, if you don't mind me asking?

8 minutes ago, Zippo said:

What's wrong with them, if you don't mind me asking?

Terribly drawn sprites, usage of the gameboy versions' level of music as opposed to the updated tracks, missing frames of animation or animations missing in general, certain still image cool scenes were removed, and a tendency to glitch.

8 minutes ago, Zippo said:

I'm still trying to choose between the DS, 3DS and Wiiware versions. So many choices.

In terms of looking the best, and being the full package with all frames of animations intact, when it comes to the original first three games, I recommend first, the original DS games.

If you wanna double dip, then by all means get the next best thing, the 3DS version! It features both English and Japanese versions of text.

Just a note: I am biased in recommending the Wiiware versions because that's how I first played them. But I think these games are really enjoyable when played on a TV, and it's easier to share the experience with others if you so choose. I played all 3 on Christmas break one year and it was magical. I don't think you can really go wrong with getting the games on DS, but I'm pretty sure this is more expensive. 

Anyway, do you guys think it's safe to assume the next Phoenix Wright game is gonna be on the Switch? Or can they squeeze one more out on 3DS?

7 minutes ago, Solly said:

Anyway, do you guys think it's safe to assume the next Phoenix Wright game is gonna be on the Switch? Or can they squeeze one more out on 3DS?

Funny you should say that, The Great Ace Attorney 2 got announced.

4 minutes ago, Athena Cykes said:

Errr, Apollo, it's kinda already been announced for some time since last year. http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/aceattorney/images/c/c1/Phoenix_Embarrassed_1.gif/revision/latest?cb=20130329201536

38 minutes ago, Athena Cykes said:

I said "Phoenix Wright game." That ain't Phoenix. :V

I could've been more clear though. My bad. I don't think anything outside of the mainline series has much hope of getting localized anymore, but it'd be nice to see some of these games come stateside.

• Thumbs Up 1

With The Great Ace Attorney 2 taking up the next release slot, I think it's almost certain that the next mainline title will be on the Switch; AA7 won't be released any sooner than next year, by which time I expect the 3DS-Switch handover to be effectively complete, with this year serving to mop up the stragglers.

I do think there's an outside chance of The Great Ace Attorney coming west, most likely with both games in one, conceivably even as a Switch port - but it really depends on what the exact holdup was.  We do have direct confirmation from Janet Hsu that they wanted to localise it but that "certain circumstances are getting in the way."  Unavailability of localisation staff could be resolved by time, unavailibility of development staff could be resolved by the team being reassembled to work on DGS2; concerns about sales (the game didn't even perform very well in Japan) could I think be satisfied by pitching to the west it as Ace Attorney Vs. Sherlock Holmes and smoothing the way by offering both games in a single package; the copyright jitters have been ironed out in court by now.  (PSA: Sherlock Holmes is entirely in the public domain in the EU, and mostly in the public domain in the U.S. with the exception of a few short stories, which I gather won't be in the public domain until 2022.  Source.)

I think the biggest obstacle to DGS coming west in any form is really just the passing of time, the game ceasing to be relevant.  If they can't be bothered with localisation today and aren't interested in a Switch port, then it's game over.  Sadly, that's probably the most realistic scenario.

12 hours ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

Errr, Apollo, it's kinda already been announced for some time since last year. http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/aceattorney/images/c/c1/Phoenix_Embarrassed_1.gif/revision/latest?cb=20130329201536

Less announced, more confirmed for 3DS.

1 hour ago, Athena Cykes said:

Less announced, more confirmed for 3DS.

Now that's more like it!

22 hours ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

Terribly drawn sprites, usage of the gameboy versions' level of music as opposed to the updated tracks, missing frames of animation or animations missing in general, certain still image cool scenes were removed, and a tendency to glitch.

In terms of looking the best, and being the full package with all frames of animations intact, when it comes to the original first three games, I recommend first, the original DS games.

If you wanna double dip, then by all means get the next best thing, the 3DS version! It features both English and Japanese versions of text.

I just ordered the DS versions of first 3 games seperately from Amazon. Thanks guys. I heard the translations were done by the same crew who translates Dragon Ball and Dr. Slump to English, so I'm sure I'll love these. Also, is there a reason why Investigatons 2 and Great AA didn't come to the west?

3 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Also, is there a reason why Investigatons 2 and Great AA didn't come to the west?

We never got an 'official' reason, IIRC, but the game came out in Japan really late in the DS life cycle. The 3DS came out later that month, and it would've been at least another 9-12 months before it could get localized. Not to mention, these games are very dialogue-heavy so localizing it would've been a laborious process for a series that doesn't really pull in huge numbers. 

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

Also, is there a reason why Investigatons 2 and Great AA didn't come to the west?

Investigations 2 was a victim of coming too late near the DS' end and the team disbanding.

Thankfully there's a masterfully written and crafted fan localization (seriously they even properly changed the visuals to fit with the localization) available online for AAI2.

• 1 month later...

So on tonight's news of Ace Attorney, today we can yet another subject to the evr growing list of crossovers, Ace Attorney is having: http://forums.court-records.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32496

It seems that some Ace Attorney characters will be arriving in Othellonia come March 6th as part of a crossover event!

There are 9 AA characters in the event. Their drop rates are said to be double the norm for each of their respective rarities for the A and B rank characters.

S rank:
- Phoenix
- Godot
- Edgeworth

A Rank:
- Mia
- Ema
- Maya

B Rank:
- Pearl
- Larry
- Gumshoe

Relevant Tweets:
https://twitter.com/othellonia_info/status/837135528004726784
https://twitter.com/othellonia_info/status/837135451924287488
https://twitter.com/othellonia_info/status/837135586032902144

C54WLbyU4AADWnB.jpg
C54XCy5VUAE6LmL.jpg
C54XC3_U8AAPAga.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Gonna be around Tokyo in April? Then swing by Nakano Broadway in Tokyo to check out the pixiv Zingaro exhibition - or more precisely, the Ace Attorney gallery that will be on display there!

The gallery will feature artifacts and artwork from all 15 years of the series, as well as limited edition goods to purchase and new commemorative art from Takuro Fuse. Visitors can stop by from April 6th to 25th.

Personally, I think we just found the aesthetic for the next game...

http://forums.court-records.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=32508

That's keen, and I hope anyone in or heading to Japan at that time is in the area of an on-depth recalling of the event. Speaking of which:

It's been a few months since the last batch of AA game news, but it looks like that'll be changing next month!

NicoNico Douga will be hosting a 15th anniversary livestream for the series with Takayuki Kondo (Phoenix), Hiro Shimono (Ryuunosuke), producer Eshiro, and director Yamazaki. The group will be revisiting some of the series' history, hold a general talk show about the series, answer fan questions and show off popularity poll results, and finally show off the first in-game footage of Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2.

The show will be at 9 PM Japan time on April 17th, which translates to noon UTC, 8 AM ET, and 5 AM PT. We'll see if we can set up a place for everyone to restream and comment as usual.

See you then!

http://forums.court-records.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=32510

There's going to be an Ace Attorney livestream of a huge stage show! The odd thing being that while DGS 2 news is a given, Yamazaki, the main series director will be showing up as opposed to Shu Takumi for whatever reason.