Awoo.

The Ace Attorney Topic (DS, 3DS, iOS) - News in OP

Agent York

5 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:
7 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

This just in. Apparently,  Ace Attorney 7 is also on the way, and the second trilogy is also getting a re-release.

It's time for Edgeworth Investigations 2 to get a localisation Capcom, come on.

Funnily enough, the last we heard about that was Janet Hsu, head of localization herself, telling people to play the fan localization. 

That...may be the one outlier in all this.

I'm not getting my hopes up for a DGS localization again, you can't fucking fool me.

Spoiler

I have played the fan translation of DGS1 though, and it's really really fucking good. I hope you all get to play it.

On 11/16/2020 at 12:19 AM, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Unfortunately, with a company like Capcom, you can never be too careful.

They're notorious for running a lot with series, and then for whatever reason, even if they have sold well, not really following up.

It's frustrating too, given their terrible quality of communication to fans.

Speaking of which, there was recently a massive leak from Capcom.

Pertaining to Ace Attorney, there was this:

Reveal hidden contents

1605486348790.png

That's right.  Mass physical collections of AA1-3 and the DGS games (RIP 4-6).

Now, unfortunately, there's no confirmation of this set being localized, and given how Capcom can be well....Capcom, it's best not to hold your breaths either.

So apparently,  in addition to coming to Switch and PS4, these will also be coming to Steam as well. 

The plot thickens as DGS 2 has been delisted from the appetite and the 3DS eshop.

Given how a lot of hungry fans might have already played the fan translation of the first, if the DGS collection turns out to be the only way to play Great Ace Attorney 2 translated, that would be one hell of a tell.

• 2 months later...

Neat, and all, and I'll definitely pick it up in vain hopes it'll get Capcom to realise "gee whizz, maybe these japan exclusive games might just sell outside japan!" and re-release AAI2.

Buuuut - I'm more excited about Apollo Justice, Dual Destinies, and Spirit of Justice hitting home consoles, given that was one of the leaks, and that's more or less just gotten validation (They said they'd have to see sales, but like it's Ace Attorney, it'll likely do well). 

Good, Capcom. Now give us Investigations 2. >( The world neeeeeds the glory that is Sebastian Debeste (or whatever they'd localize him as.)

On 2/13/2021 at 9:10 AM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Spirit of Justice

I'm going to miss the dual screens, but if  it means finally having a version of this game that doesn't lag up a storm, then I'm all for it!

18 hours ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

I'm going to miss the dual screens, but if  it means finally having a version of this game that doesn't lag up a storm, then I'm all for it!

Just putting this out there; the mobile ports of DD and SoJ are perfectly fine. I know that the original trilogy on mobile is pretty lazy and there are lots of problems with it, but these two games are absolutely fine as they are. The format of the AA series makes them very well suited to mobiles. And there's get no lag in these versions either.

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

And there's get no lag in these versions either.

I've heard and seen lag in SoJ still on the mobile version.

1 minute ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

I've heard and seen lag in SoJ still on the mobile version.

Oh really? I only played the DLC case on mobile and didn't notice any lag there. Still though... I don't think I'll ever budge from my opinion that mobiles are the best platform to enjoy AA on.

1 minute ago, Blue Blood said:

Oh really? I only played the DLC case on mobile and didn't notice any lag there. Still though... I don't think I'll ever budge from my opinion that mobiles are the best platform to enjoy AA on.

I have no doubt that DD mobile is currently the best looking version of the game, but I still am aiming for a version of SoJ that doesn't chug so I can properly enjoy those animations.....and everything else cause man the lag in SoJ was a drag.

Just now, Blue Blood said:

Gonna disagree there, personally. Playing the trilogy on PS4 was far and away the best experience I had out of Mobile, DS, 3DS, and PS4. Playing mobile systems for a very long time tends to feel a bit awkward to me, and the constant charging them is annoying too.

On Mobile, I got burnt out following Big Top Turnabout, and I hit that burnout on DS/3DS but pushed through it, but PS4 - between not worrying about charging, not having to stop and break every so often, being able to just lie back and relax while playing on a big TV, and all of the ease of use features the console/PC ports had, it was the best experience I had with the series, and was the first time I played the trilogy start to finish without any sort of burn-out, so much so that I even went for the PS4 platinum trophy.

I've pretty much decided I'm not gonna do Dual Destinies, SoJ, or Apollo Justice since we know more or less that they're getting a console port now. Only exception is Edgeworth Investigations, since that's unlikely to get a port unless Capcom get their shit together and localise Investigations 2.

• 2 months later...

On 11/17/2020 at 6:23 AM, Nix said:

I'm not getting my hopes up for a DGS localization again, you can't fucking fool me

https://www.capcom-unity.com/2021/04/21/kurae-the-great-ace-attorney-chronicles-summons-you-to-court-on-july-27th/

The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles is dropping on July 27th for Switch, PS4 and PC (via Steam). Japanese text remains on pieces of evidence, but an pop-up with English text will pop up when you examine it. There's also a new mode called Story Mode, for people who just want to enjoy the story while the game plays itself.

Additional features include an art and illustration gallery, featuring commentary from the art director, rewatching videos from the story mode, you can switch between English and Japanese audio on the fly, eight new "escapades" (mini-episodes), two special trial videos, thirteen videos from a series called "Ryunosuke Naruhodo’s Seven Days of Sin", and three optional alternative costumes for The Great Ace Attorney 2. 

Finally!  I'm going to take a wild guess that this was meant to be announced at the concert less than a fortnight ago, and there was a last-minute holdup.  Still, what's eleven days after a wait of several years?  I raise my eyebrows slightly at the Japanese character names remaining unlocalised, locking their wordplay to the Japanese audience only - but I get it.  The international interplay is vital to this title in a way it wasn't really to previous Ace Attorney titles (and I think there's something in the leaks regarding concerns about whitewashing), so I can't make an objection.  Kinda wish there were subtitles for the names the way they're providing subtitles for Japanese text in the graphics, though.  (I think there's a vaguely literal vibe to the whole project, if I'm honest; I never regarded "Great Ace Attorney" as the best English title for the games.)

Fascinating that there's a kind of "visual novel mode" which plays the whole game for you!  I wonder if you can switch it on and off at will; if you're really stuck and don't know what to present, let the game do it for you!  But I can see that that might cause issues if there are any elements of non-linearity to the adventure sections.

I'm so glad to hear a bunch of English/UK-based voice actors here, rather than North Americans putting on questionable 'British' accent. They sound terrific.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is looking pretty spectacular. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

34 minutes ago, Salamander said:

Fascinating that there's a kind of "visual novel mode" which plays the whole game for you!  I wonder if you can switch it on and off at will; if you're really stuck and don't know what to present, let the game do it for you!  But I can see that that might cause issues if there are any elements of non-linearity to the adventure sections.

Pretty sure the Capcom Unity post says you can toggle it on and off when you want.

It's neat that the Great Ace Attorney is finally getting a proper localisation, but I'm not personally super invested into that particular sub-series myself, although I'll still be picking up Chronicles to support and try them out.

I'm more excited for what these collections could mean for the future. We already know from the leaks earlier this year that if Great Ace Attorney does well, they're gonna port Apollo Justice, Dual Destinies, and Spirit of Justice to consoles as well - which would be the vastly superior way of playing them IMO. Still really hoping we might finally see a Edgeworth collection with Investigations 2 localised as well. People will probably say it'll never happen, but then we also thought Great Ace Attorney would never see a localisation either, especially with the rights issues presented in those games, and yet here we are. 

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

There's also a new mode called Story Mode, for people who just want to enjoy the story while the game plays itself.

I really question the point of this. I already do for games like Assassin's Creed but at least those tend to have a complex set of mechanics that might scare someone so i can imagine why someone would even think the option; visual novels like Ace Attorney on the other hand barely have any gameplay at all and thanks to how the save system is implemented it's a very light case of trial and error with no real punishment (literal worst case is a 2-minute trip to Gamefaqs if you're really desperate), stripping even that feels pointless more than anything. You might as well watch a no-penalty non-speedrun gameplay on Youtube completely for free. And i doubt it's for the parents who casually want to a game for their kids, nor to attract new casuals or be accessible to users afflicted by disabilities, unless you tell me you want to feel the inhebriating difference of pressing confirmation with a controller instead of the play video button; i literally don't understand for whom this feature is made in reguards to a game like this.

On another note, i wonder if they'll bother to have text translation in multi-5 rather than the usual english-german-french only, but considering the original trilogy collection did not had that, not Apollo Justice on mobile, i'm not holding my breath. We'll see when the Steam page shows up.
I'll probably get the PC version if my toaster manages to run it fine, otherwise the PS4 one.

19 minutes ago, Teoskaven said:

On another note, i wonder if they'll bother to have text translation in multi-5 rather than the usual english-german-french only, but considering the original trilogy collection did not had that, not Apollo Justice on mobile, i'm not holding my breath. We'll see when the Steam page shows up.
I'll probably get the PC version if my toaster manages to run it fine, otherwise the PS4 one.

Regrettably, the description for the YouTube video states, "NOTE: This game is available in Japanese and English only."

It's so nice to see life once again, being pumped into this thread.

Now, if leak was anything to go by, apparently more ports of other games would likely be determined by the sales of these games and the supposedly upcoming Ace Attorney 7.

I can't help but spotlight the irony that the first Ace Attorney game to get a physical western release in ages, is the game that most people thought had the least chance of so much as getting localized, let alone the full pack we're getting.

Makes me wonder if Capcom's going to try and further strengthen the Ace Attorney brand back to the days when they had no qualms giving us physical releases overseas, and might be planning something similar with the two trilogies and Ace Attorney 7.

Now, all that's missing this year is Phoenix getting an invite to Smash.

On 11/17/2020 at 1:23 AM, Nix said:

I'm not getting my hopes up for a DGS localization again, you can't fucking fool me.

Reveal hidden contents

I have played the fan translation of DGS1 though, and it's really really fucking good. I hope you all get to play it.

Thankfully, it looks like we won't need to play the fan translation. 

• 1 month later...

An excerpt of dialogue from Herlock Sholmes. He sounds frighteningly similar to Chris Miller's Layton.

• 2 weeks later...

Lol. An Ace Attorney VR game.