Awoo.

The Ace Attorney Topic (DS, 3DS, iOS) - News in OP

Agent York

Level-5 takes ages announcing Layton games for western release due to localizations and what not, and this will probably not be that different.

Also we'd probably not hear about western news on a game at a Japanese conference.

After seeing that trailer, I have to go buy a 3DS. This game, man... this game looks awesome already, and that animation! I expected it to look decent, but that's way above my expectations. So smooth.

Edited by NGw00d

Damn. Just wow.

The music.

The perfect animations. Seriously the jump from 2D to 3D graphics looks like it's been done flawlessly.

The story has me interested.

The new emotion system seems like a nice little addition.

Bones is doing something for this game.

That settles it. I spoiled the rest of the games by watching lets plays of them but this time I have to play this game. I am going to get a 3DS just for this game. It looks so good. I mean holy crap, you can just see the fountain of love that's been put in to it. The animations are freaking smooth down to the fucking lip movements. I was interested in this game and excited for it ever since it was announced but now, after the trailer and so on, I am pumped to plat this game. I am hyped and I can not wait to play this.

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee~ <3

• Thumbs Up 2

More Footage.

Got to say, I like the music in this game.

Oh and here some details from demo.

-Shinobu is Kokone’s childhood friend

- you walk into court from a first person perspective

- the camera spins around the courtroom when the jury chats

-Winston Payne’s younger brother asks Barashima Shingo, who works in the bomb squad, to take the stand

- Shingo is quite eccentric

- he has red/blue goggles that bug out and a wrist computer he uses to talk with

- no voice acting

- Kokone will pull out *her* wrist computer called the Heart Scope

- this lets players see emotions when another character testifies

- it can detect happy, sad, surprised, and angry

- Shinobu should have felt happy or relieved because she wasn’t injured during the bombing, but she was sad

Huh no voice acting, okay I guess.

Edited by Attorney Badge
  • Thumbs Up 1

More Footage.

Got to say, I like the music in this game.

Oh and here some details from demo.

Huh no voice acting, okay I guess.

>Payne's hair twirl

sweetjesus_zpsed79c5c9.jpg

This game has reached perfection, it literally cannot get better than this.

But this is only the first case.

Edited by Pinkamina

So I've been replaying all of the cases I liked, skipping the ones I don't remember caring too much for. So far that's 1-2, which was much better than I remembered, 1-4, which was absolutely amazing like I expected, and 2-2, which... ugh...

Is it safe to say the only redeemable part of Justice for All was the final case? 2-2 has a really great premise, but it botched it up horribly. The investigating wasn't very fun, the writing wasn't as witty as in the first game, and Von Fucking Karma. Oh my god. I hate her so much. I think this NeoGAF post sums up my thoughts on her perfectly:

I'm just kidding. I absolutely love the self-important, sore loser bitch who whips Phoenix all the time, in a court of law, and never gets told anything by the judge. It's hilarious every single time, and never takes away from otherwise dramatic scenes in the series! I had a deep-seated sadomasochistic fetish for whips, see, and not only did Shu Takumi fulfill my wishes for hero abuse, he also made the courtroom proceedings of JFA into somewhat of a joke---and if there's one thing I play Ace Attorney for, it's sadomasochistic courtroom shenanigans!

Shu Takumi can die in a fire if it means that blight on an otherwise perfectly enjoyable series never returns. She was never, ever funny.

Yeah, seriously. I hope that bitch doesn't come back for this, because I can't fucking stand her. Alongside her, other annoyances include the way evidence is presented (arguments don't really make much sense and I have to debate the smallest of details that are seriously just inconsequential) and the glaring plothole staring me right in the face since the beginning of the trial: the knife. Maya's on trial because she channeled a spirit that used her body to kill someone. Spoilers from here on -

Right, so if Maya was completely unaware of what happened, as the prosecution asserted, why the fuck would she have brought a kitchen knife with her? That alone proves that it was premeditated, and the fact that Maya has no motive at all is proof that she was framed. God, they botched up horribly.

Investigations may not have been perfect, but fuck, at least it never got this bad (and that's not even mentioning 2-3, which I'm absolutely definitely going to skip).

Right, so if Maya was completely unaware of what happened, as the prosecution asserted, why the fuck would she have brought a kitchen knife with her? That alone proves that it was premeditated, and the fact that Maya has no motive at all is proof that she was framed. God, they botched up horribly.

Despite the fact that there exist more figured out contradictions than people give credit for in all the games, a lot of this "prosecutor logic" as I like to call it personally can all be boiled down to one recurring point that it's not their job to explain about a case within reasonable doubt more than they need to - they, especially the von Karmas, are arguing cases solely for their own benefit and discrediting the prosecution's claims is what the defense attorney is supposed to do.

The whole "premeditated murder" issue is one that holds a bit of a varying impact between all the games and usually it falls to the defense to find that motive if they're trying to implicate someone else. Sometimes it's even reversed, like in Case 2-4. Whether the murder was premeditated or not in 2-2 I don't think was a point that was ever brought up, but despite that the only case where a murder motive couldn't be proven was in case 4-1. It's a bit weird.

Just account it to the court system generally being flawed as usual I guess.

Despite the fact that there exist more figured out contradictions than people give credit for in all the games, a lot of this "prosecutor logic" as I like to call it personally can all be boiled down to one recurring point that it's not their job to explain about a case within reasonable doubt more than they need to - they, especially the von Karmas, are arguing cases solely for their own benefit and discrediting the prosecution's claims is what the defense attorney is supposed to do.

The whole "premeditated murder" issue is one that holds a bit of a varying impact between all the games and usually it falls to the defense to find that motive if they're trying to implicate someone else. Sometimes it's even reversed, like in Case 2-4. Whether the murder was premeditated or not in 2-2 I don't think was a point that was ever brought up, but despite that the only case where a murder motive couldn't be proven was in case 4-1. It's a bit weird.

Just account it to the court system generally being flawed as usual I guess.

Oh, I know the system makes absolutely no sense most of the time, but I at least didn't notice contradictions as blatant as that in cases 1-2 and 1-4. It's not just a case of "not premeditated so she doesn't get the death penalty", it's proof that she was framed for the crime, because the general understanding from the very beginning of the case was that she was completely unaware of the plot to kill the victim and that despite being used remotely by the spirit being channeled, she was still technically "guilty", because she was the one who physically did it. The knife proves that someone besides the spirit planted a knife on her, which is enough to cast suspicion away from her completely. I'm absolutely baffled by the fact that this wasn't even brought up.

So I was browsing through court records and found this bit of interesting information, apparently the Bones animation was shown at tgs and it went like this.

The scene opened with a shot of Phoenix's cap from Apollo Justice on a sofa in an office, then cut to Phoenix in a chair talking on his cell phone.

Although he was saying some very meaningful stuff like "It seems the one you've been chasing is finally making a move" and "That's why I returned to court", he was still using the same old beat-up phone.

When he mentioned that "There's a promising new attorney who's joined", the scene switched to Kokone bounding up the stairs to the courtroom. Even animated, she was moving around constantly, and the upbeat music might have been her theme song.

I'm not sure, but I got the impression Phoenix's conversation was taking place perhaps half a year after Kokone joined.

There was also a scene of Phoenix looking at the photo of Trucy in his locket.

Phoenix and Kokone were voiced, as well as a security guard who was surprised to see Kokone dashing about. I don't know much about voice actors, so I can't say who was voicing them.

The scene ended without revealing who Phoenix was talking to on the phone. Looks like they want us to do some crazy speculation, heh.

Huh, I like the sound of this, I can't wait to see it.

• Thumbs Up 4

I really hope lots of people buy this game, from what we've seen so far, it really deserves high sales, and I really want to have more Ace attorney games like this in the West. And if the game doesn't sell well at all...I dont even want to think about it D:

Update: Capcom has put up their entire livestream from the final day of TGS here! The Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney section begins at 56:39, while the Ace Attorney 5 section begins at 5:36:37.

More footage and clear music. According to Court records, this includes footage of investigations and the heart scope. I haven;t seen much of it yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmfTuzVGNuc

But from what little I've seen so far....

OH GAWD THIS FUCKING MUSIC! I NEED THIS MUSIC! I WANT TO MAKE LOVE TO THIS MUSIC EVERYSINGLENIGHTCOVEREDINBUTTTERTONSANDTONSOFBUTTER! ~ <3

*Ahem*

The music is damn good. So far, it's the old tunes using instruments as far as I can tell and it is absolutely glorious!

EDIT: So little applause for the trailer. Barely any. Aww... why? sad.png

EDIT: translations of some gameplay dialogue.

Gameplay translations (from 14:58)

Kokone: "Understood! Let's do it!"

Naruhodo: "So that computer lets you see Miss Morizumi's emotions?"

Kokone: "In my ears, there's the voice of Shinobu's heart... I can hear her emotions."

"I understood the 'emotions' and 'images' from that testimony just now."

"With those two things, I can input them into the computer for analysis."

"When emotions sway during a testimony, these four 'emotion marks' will respond."

"Happiness or enjoyment is the 'joy' mark..." (green)

"Anger or frustration is the 'anger' mark..." (red)

"Sadness or fear is the 'grief' mark..." (blue)

"And surprise or confusion is the 'shock' mark." (yellow)

Naruhodo: "With your ability and this computer,"

"I can also understand the emotions she feels when testifying."

"...Right?"

Kokone: "Yep!"

Naruhodo: "(Alright! Let's listen to the testimony of Morizumi's heart!)"

"That time, I... *achoo*"

"stood by to listen... *achoo-achoo*" (She attended that trial during the bombing.)

"The bomb exploded... *achoo*"

"*achoo* ...above me..."

"The rubble... *achoo-achoo*"

Kokone: "I've seen the emotions from her testimony."

Naruhodo: "(This is that girl's power, huh...)"

Kokone: "There was a strange emotion that contradicts the testimony in there!"

Naruhodo: "Eeh!? You got it already!"

Kokone: "See? When the rubble fell, 'joy' came out!"

Naruhodo: "Ah! That is strange."

Kokone: "There must be some reason that there's this contradicting emotion!"

"When you see a strange emotion..."

"touch the 'Identify' panel (L)..."

"and point out the strange emotion from the 'emotion marks!'"

"Touch the 'Identify' panel!"

"Choose the strange emotion!"

Naruhodo: "HERE!"

"Miss Morizumi!"

"Why did you feel happy when the rubble was falling on you?"

Shinobu: "Eh...! *achoo*"

Naruhodo: "No need to rush. Do you know why that happened?"

Shinobu: "Y-yes. Um, shortly when I escaped the courtroom..."

"The rubble fell...! I thought I'd die!"

"Ah! That's right. However, that time..."

"An officer saved me...!"

Naruhodo: "So, I just found out what I had figured."

Kokone: "With this new information, I'll 'update' this..."

"Let's listen to the rest of the testimony from her heart!"

Naruhodo: "So if I see a strange/suspicious emotion, I'll 'identify' it!"

Kokone: "Yep! And you'll point out the strange emotion from the 'emotion marks!'"

"If you know the reason for the discord in the heart..."

"A new piece of testimony will arrive!"

(to 18:20)

Erm... I've got some business to handle right now, so if anyone wants to continue from here, be my guest. I'll return as soon as possible.

I'm back and ready!

(18:22 - 18:50)

"I... ran a bit too slow..."

"The bomb blew up before I could escape."

"I was shocked when the rubble fell..."

"When I thought it was over for me..."

"That officer came to save me!"

Kokone: "[Judging] from her voice, her heart is in conflict."

(from 20:16)

[December 20, 2:56 pm

???? ????]

Kokone: "Ah, here it is!" (It sounds like she's saying her name.)

"Is anyone home? Doesn't seem like it!"

"Hi-yah!"

"Alright! Let's get investigating, Mr. Wright! ...Huh?"

"What's wrong? You've collapsed on the floor!"

Naruhodo: "*gasp gasp* Kokone, you run really fast..."

Kokone: "Ah! I-I'm sorry."

Naruhodo: "I know how you feel, but the evidence isn't going anywhere."

Kokone: "Y-yes, sir. But... just what is this room?"

"Especially that door... it's eerie!"

Naruhodo: "Isn't that the 'Ancient Vault' from our last discussion?" (I dunno what he's talking about.)

"(Okay. Let's have a look around. Where can I expect to find clues?)"

[< + >: Change view

O: Move the cursor]

Kokone: "If I have a good look at it... it's huge!"

"Very important things are kept inside, huh?"

Naruhodo: "Huh? The latch seems a bit slanted."

Kokone: "Eh? Did someone try to open it?"

Naruhodo: "Probably. The key got stuck, and the door didn't open."

(22:15)

Naruhodo: "The window is open..."

Kokone: "This room is pretty stuffy. It wasn't open enough before."

"...Huh? Are these shoeprints?"

Naruhodo: "(Huh, there are shoeprints on the window frame...)"

"It seems like someone has been trespassing..."

Kokone: "So that person tried to open that vault?"

"By the way, Mr. Wright, something's been bothering me."

Naruhodo: "What is it?"

Kokone: "I heard an odd noise earlier."

Naruhodo: "(Kokone's ears are really good...)"

Kokone: "Please try having a listen."

Naruhodo: "Ah, I did hear something. (What is that sound?)"

Kokone: "It might be coming from somewhere in this room."

"Anyway, let's get investigating!"

(22:31)

Kokone: "Eeeeeek!"

Naruhodo: "Th-this is...!"

Kokone: "Bo-bo-bo-bo-..."

Naruhodo: "(It's a bomb!)"

Kokone: "M-Mr. Cryght! W-what do we do!?" (lit. "Nakuhodo", "Cry-hodo")

"This is bad! Everyone won't escape in time!" (Not sure with first part here)

Naruhodo: "C-calm down, Kokone! (She got my name wrong.)"

"I can see the timer."

"There's still an hour left."

Kokone: "Oh! Th-that's right. Thank goodness..."

Naruhodo: "...So you 'cry' when you're scared?" (*coughtoughpunscough*)

Kokone: "W-what are you saying!? I'm calm! Calm!"

Naruhodo: "(She's covering for herself...)"

Kokone: "But... why is there a bomb here?"

"Oh! Maybe it's for blowing up the vault door!"

Naruhodo: "That's one really rough thief..."

"(But that bomb earlier, why was it on its side?)"

"(As if it accidentally fell...)"

(24:52)

Kokone: "Mr. Wright."

"The doors... somehow look unnatural, don't they?"

Naruhodo: "(That's right. They're stuck in their reversed positions.)"

"...Kokone, try opening them."

Kokone: "Eeh!? Me!?"

"Oh, no, by all means, they're yours, Chief Wright!"

Naruhodo: "...So be it."

"(What a time to call me 'Chief.')"

"Okay, I'm opening them."

???: "..."

Naruhodo: "..."

Kokone: "Eeeeeek!"

Naruhodo: "Aah! You!? (This guy set up the bomb...!)"

{END}

Edited by PeanutButterDimond
  • Thumbs Up 4

So I've been replaying all of the cases I liked, skipping the ones I don't remember caring too much for. So far that's 1-2, which was much better than I remembered, 1-4, which was absolutely amazing like I expected, and 2-2, which... ugh...

Is it safe to say the only redeemable part of Justice for All was the final case? 2-2 has a really great premise, but it botched it up horribly. The investigating wasn't very fun, the writing wasn't as witty as in the first game, and Von Fucking Karma. Oh my god. I hate her so much. I think this NeoGAF post sums up my thoughts on her perfectly:

Yeah, seriously. I hope that bitch doesn't come back for this, because I can't fucking stand her. Alongside her, other annoyances include the way evidence is presented (arguments don't really make much sense and I have to debate the smallest of details that are seriously just inconsequential) and the glaring plothole staring me right in the face since the beginning of the trial: the knife. Maya's on trial because she channeled a spirit that used her body to kill someone. Spoilers from here on -

Investigations may not have been perfect, but fuck, at least it never got this bad (and that's not even mentioning 2-3, which I'm absolutely definitely going to skip).

I think Von Karma gets better in T&T and Investigations. She bounces off Edgeworth much better than any of the other cast members.

It was public yesterday. Thankfully someone on Court Records re-uploaded the AS5 part!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

New Info from Nintendo Dream.

New Info from Nintendo Dream

They talk about the reception at TGS and the pressure of developing a proper sequel to the AA series.

- Yamazaki is a 'scenario director', which is a rare function actually. The scenario is written together by four people, with Yamazaki having the last call on edits and such.

- They talk about the theme of the 'trials falling apart'. They had played with a concept of a 'torture trial' if you get a guilty verdict.

- They talk about how it is to have to change from writing from Edgeworth's point of view to Nick's (as they are different characters, naturally)

- In the animated parts, you see that Nick is still using the same cellphone he has always used.

- Because of the better sound quality of the 3DS, they couldn't use the old sound bites Takumi Shuu had done (Objection! etc). And as they are using animation anyway, they have hired proper voice actors. But for smaller parts, they might still use company workers (in the demo, the voice of Shinobu was actually also a company worker)

- Dark Payne (little brother) was conceived because they wanted a evil prosecutor, but they couldn't just change Payne (older brother) in someone evil suddenly. They do still think that Payne is still working. They joke about how the Paynes are now the Turnabout Brothers. Yamazaki throws in an idea for a new game: Turnabout Payne (Eshiro: What are they going to turnabout?!).

- If Kay is a genki girl, then Kotone is a determined girl, who will do everything to help her superior, according to Yamazaki.

- The pendant Kotone is wearing is called a Monita (???). Because a monitor comes out of it. One of the apps in it, is the Heart Scope.

Torture Trials? That sounds interesting.

And ha! Turnabout Payne, as if that would ever happen.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 months later...

Oh man, I hope the fact that Trucy has been reduced to locket status doesn't mean she's died or missing or anything- (usually when a character is in a locket it means they're out of reach)

Trucy is like my favourite character ok.

Edited by SuperLink

Oh man, I hope the fact that Trucy has been reduced to locket status doesn't mean she's died or missing or anything- (usually when a character is in a locket it means they're out of reach)

Trucy is like my favourite character ok.

This reply will have spoilers of AA4, so tags.

I like to think Trucy went back with Lamoire or whatever her name is after it was revealed she was her mother.

This reply will have spoilers of AA4, so tags.

I like to think Trucy went back with Lamoire or whatever her name is after it was revealed she was her mother.

That's possible but also quite sad, I guess Phoenix would have chosen for it to be Trucy's choice though.

I was hoping for Thalassa's reveal to happen within game scenes so I'll be a little disappointed if Apollo and Trucy got additional important development offscreen.

Well, I'm glad we get some reference to past characters.

I'm still curious though, who's the new prosecutor Wright's going to be facing after the 1st case? Was that silhouette of him in the trailer?

And since we didn't see Gumshoe in AA4, I wonder if we'll see him here (probably said that already). Maybe by some stroke of luck he's chief of police.

• 2 months later...