Awoo.

What keeps you coming back to the franchise?

Solid SOAP

You know those cartoons you use to watch as a kid, those with the action-packed sequences and an occasional joke?

That's Sonic to me.

It's the cutscenes. Simply the cutscenes. Pile them all together, along with the content of the game, and it's like watching the action-packed cartoons I grew up with as a kid, like TMNT or the classic X-Men shows.

Though I love the creative gameplay, I live for the moments when you feel like a kid, cheering on your hero as he goes off to save the day. Those moments when laugh at the simple, adorable jokes added in like when Sonic taunts his enemies, of falling face first into the sand, or with Generations, temporarily losing his beloved chili dog. Those moments when you laugh at Eggman's defeat, like when he had to float off into space in Colors. Those moments when you felt like a kid watching a cartoon again.

That's what keeps me coming back.

Edited by OHOHO1227

Imma gonna have to go ahead and say that for myself it's curiosity. I'm usually curious about most up and coming Sonic games and to see how Sonic Team go about the games development. I want to see if they've gone and taken what worked from the previous game and improved upon it, or if they've managed to drop the ball entirely.

Oh and Eggman. Especially now that he's back to being Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 2

Maybe I defend this game also because it's the last of its kind, the last of more japanese looking Sonic game with Sa style, realistic humans pwhich I prefer to pixar looking, which I dislike] and great story [yup, the story is filled with plot holes but other than that I like it quite a lot].

Question: how the hell was Sonic "Japanese-looking" before Unleashed? It being kept in mind that Sonic had more western take once he hit 3D on the DC.

And honestly, I find it very weak to defend the game for those reasons when the reasons against it far outweigh it to a lot of people. No one complained about the humans in the Adventure until Sonic 06 reached an uncanny valley, not many complained about the story until ShTH and Sonic 06 took too great a risk and failed (and it goes without saying that a lot of us here are actively wanting more story in the games, WITHOUT plotholes). And that's without going into the technical problems that shined over everything else.

That's sounds pretty spiteful against the current look if anything. You'd have a better chance defending the Adventures, and with less people chewing you out for it. Seriously, there's a reason those games were praised while Sonic 06 was criticized. Don't get me wrong, I have some things I like about Sonic 06 myself, but at the end of the day, there's very little to save it from what it's been getting.

I have been playing Sonic since virtually day release with Sonic 1 onn the Master System then on the Mega Drive.

I loved the speed of the franchise, the games and all the cute characters. Plus I used to be a massive SEGA fanboy.

But now I am finished with the franchise after all the crap that Sonic Team has produced since the shit Shadow The Hedgehog, The Modern Era has been down right crap with Generations the worst Sonic game ever produced.

I will not be comming back until Iizuka and Sonic Team are sacked. Colours restored a tiny amount of my faith in the franchise but no where near enough to make me want to buy any more games.

That was the biggest mistake ever in gaming sacking Sonic Team USA and giving the franchise back to the Japanese as they have totally destroyed the franchise.

That was the biggest mistake ever in gaming sacking Sonic Team USA and giving the franchise back to the Japanese as they have totally destroyed the franchise.

Wut? The only main Sonic game that SEGA of America even helped with on a greater scale than just translations and testing was Sonic 2, the rest were created by Yuji/Iizuka and crew.

Anyways, I keep coming back to the franchise because I love the gameplay. The sweet speed, the nice platforming, the unique geometry all blend together to make some really cool level design. It doesn't matter too much to me what Sonic Team does with a Sonic game, as long as it's fun and successfully pulls off what it was supposed to do, then I'm cool with it.

In general, I haven't hated many Sonic games that I've played except for Sonic 06 and both Sonic Drifts. And they always have at least SOMETHING fun about them no matter how bad, and at least 1 thing to make me pop the game back in after the initial playthrough.

Dude seriously, shut. up.

Hey, if that's his opinion, then let him have it. Can't say I agree with it but still.

I'll admit, I LOLd at the tags.

Anyway...I dunno. I guess it's simply because it's my favorite videogame franchise. But I do have other franchises I do give some of my attention to as well as taking interest in some recently resurfaced/new franchises.

Hey, if that's his opinion, then let him have it. Can't say I agree with it but still.

An opinion that's based on complete falsehood, and he won't shut up about it.

• Thumbs Up 2

But now I am finished with the franchise after all the crap that Sonic Team has produced since the shit Shadow The Hedgehog, The Modern Era has been down right crap with Generations the worst Sonic game ever produced.

It looks like you're not completely finished with the franchise seeing that you're still posting on a Sonic board.

Except there's a fine line between criticism and bashing, and he obviously crossed that line. To say nothing of how false he is to boot.

• Thumbs Up 6

An opinion that's based on complete falsehood, and he won't shut up about it.

Except there's a fine line between criticism and bashing, and he obviously crossed that line. To say nothing of how false he is to boot.

I can see both of your points. And I think you guys are right in hindsight.

Edited by Chaos Warp

What keeps me around?

Speed.

Beyond the fun I get out of playing as some of my favorite characters, or watching their ongoing saga’s unfold over time, I think the main reason why I stick around the series is the speed of the game, and what that means for the experience as a whole.

I like platformers. I grew up around them. What each brings to the table is the joy of precision in basic everyday actions – running and jumping. What Sonic brings to the table is so far beyond that. It’s a joy to watch him span a few miles in a blink and I can’t tell you how much of a thrill it is to see any gap and have the confidence that your little furry friend has the skills to jump it. In the end, it’s just that sense of freedom. To know that an obstacle that would stop other platform hero’s in their tracks are little more than a speedbump. There is great power in the ability to get a running start to jump half a mile.

• Thumbs Up 5

I like platformers. I grew up around them. What each brings to the table is the joy of precision in basic everyday actions – running and jumping. What Sonic brings to the table is so far beyond that. It’s a joy to watch him span a few miles in a blink and I can’t tell you how much of a thrill it is to see any gap and have the confidence that your little furry friend has the skills to jump it. In the end, it’s just that sense of freedom. To know that an obstacle that would stop other platform hero’s in their tracks are little more than a speedbump. There is great power in the ability to get a running start to jump half a mile.

Wow, that's like the best summary about why the Sonic series is so great that iv'e ever red! *Applaudes*

• Thumbs Up 1

In the end, it’s just that sense of freedom.
S'been a long while since I've felt that...
  • Thumbs Up 3

S'been a long while since I've felt that...

I felt that from 1991-1999, and I have started to feel it again from 2011 onwards..........

I've never felt that.

If you've never felt the freedom of charging up a spindash and leaping over half of Green Hill Zone.... you simply haven't lived.

• Thumbs Up 2

Guys don't worry, Sooner or later He'll learn that this ain't the Sega forums.

Anyways, what does keep me coming back? well the hentai, obviously. Unlike most of you, I was a Nintendo kid so Sonic wasn't a huge part of my childhood. I suppose that I like the charm that many of the games tend to have as well as the game play. I like having the ability to roll around faster and when your skills in the levels increase, I like most of the characters even some of the howdareyoulikewhatidontlike controversial ones. I generally like the 2 solid styles of Sonic gameplay both 2D and 3D even though I have a prefference towards 2D sort of because of the physics and level design as long as it's genesis style. I hate it though, when that gameplay is interupted with unwanted styles, looking at you adventure series(and Unleashed) I want to love them but they wont let me. Those interuptions is why I don't want Sonic Adventure 3 to be made. The music and tone of the games have a certain charm that keeps me coming back and I love the direction the series has taken since 2010 so I'm not going anywhere anytime soon. Keep it up, Sonic team.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you've never felt the freedom of charging up a spindash and leaping over half of Green Hill Zone.... you simply haven't lived.

In which game? Cause in S1, there was no spindash. Generations, yeah, but I wouldn't call that "freedom" exactly.

Yeah spindash-jumping in Generations is less a feeling of freedom and more the game giving up any pretense of balanced gameplay design.

vvv it does when the gameplay degenerates into "Spindash-Jump Jump Jump Jump Spindash-Jump Jump Jump Spindash-Jump Jump Jump Jump"

Edited by Diogenes

Yeah spindash-jumping in Generations is less a feeling of freedom and more the game giving up any pretense of balanced gameplay design.

Hey, that doesn't stop it from being fun. Granted it would probably have been a lot more fun if they'd made rolling better and the stages a bit larger to compensate for the increase of speed.
  • Thumbs Up 2