Awoo.

Only Fools & Horses to get US remake

Badnik Mechanic

You know what should be next up for Remake? Bottom!

Let's see how ya handle this one America :V

• Thumbs Up 3

Dear gods no....

Every time we remake a foreign TV show, it generally turns out to be a disaster! Why can't they just re-air the original on BBC America? I know it's an older show and all, but it would nice to give a little more variety to the channel's schedule rather than constantly airing a marathon of the same select shows throughout the day.

You know what should be next up for Remake? Bottom!

Let's see how ya handle this one America :V

OH GOD THE THING WITH THE UMBRELLA

• 3 weeks later...

Del Boy has been chosen.

JOHN LEGUIZAMO WILL BE DEL BOY

Lovely jubbly?

Whether you like it or not, the American remake of Only Fools and Horses is definitely going ahead.

Announced last month, the show has just bagged itself a lead in the shape of Carlito's Way star John Leguizamo.

The ABC update will see Leguizamo play "an overly confident bon vivant and con artist who trades crap out of the back of his car, cheerful and oblivious to the fact that he is a lowlife scamster." The Colombian actor is also known for his roles in Romeo + Juliet and, ermmm, Super Mario Bros.

His character will be called Del and the makers are still on the hunt for Rodney. The show is being brought to American audiences by Steven Cragg and Brian Bradley, who have previously worked together on Scrubs.

It's set to hit US screens by the end of the year. Thoughts?

Edited by ENVY

Smells like failure in here.

There are some works that are evocative of a nation's culture - to understand them you must understand the culture they reflect. This is why American remakes of British shows don't work - because they don't understand British culture anywhere near as well as they think they do, and the US and UK have the two most closely related cultures of any two nations in the world.

Only Fools and Horses is a treasured emblem of 1980s/90s British culture. It can't be exported successfully by anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Its seems Back to the Future star Christopher Lloyd will play Grandad:

Christopher Lloyd has joined the cast of the Only Fools and Horses US remake.

The Back to the Future star will play the grandfather of Del (John Leguizamo) and Rodney (Dustin Ybarra), according to Deadline.

Thats a pretty good piece of casting.

However:

Happy Endings actor BJ Bales has also been cast as Trigger, who has been reinvented as a 'ghetto-talking con man' and Del and Rodney's 'perpetual enemy'.

Oh dear.

The article in full: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a368700/christopher-lloyd-to-star-in-only-fools-and-horses-us-remake.html

Happy Endings actor BJ Bales has also been cast as Trigger, who has been reinvented as a 'ghetto-talking con man' and Del and Rodney's 'perpetual enemy'.

... what... They're... what? But trigger isn't.

Surely if anything... it's boycie? Even then he's not exactly an enemy. I know stuff has to be changed, but does the normal only fools and horses have an 'enemy' in them? At the most I can only think of the Driscoll Brothers, and they're only in about 3 episodes.

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'd put Slater in the enemy territory as well but again, he doesn't appear all that often.

Either way, it certainly isn't Trigger, he's only concerned about his 20 year old broom. 17 new heads and 14 new handles.

Classic.

Edited by ENVY
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'd put Slater in the enemy territory as well but again, he doesn't appear all that often.

He's in 'To Hull and back' for about 10 min, and he's in the one where he comes back to get a divorce... otherwise I can't think of another episode he's in other than the Rock & Chips spinoff.

Its certainly a very odd decision. Why on earth they'd think its a good idea to change to change Trigger so drastically is beyond me.

So...looks like Christopher Lloyd is the only good thing this has going for it.

Thats certainly how it seems at the moment.

He's in 'To Hull and back' for about 10 min, and he's in the one where he comes back to get a divorce... otherwise I can't think of another episode he's in other than the Rock & Chips spinoff.

Theres also the first episode that Slater appears in, which I believe is called 'May the force be with you'. Its from back when Grandad was still in the show.

Edited by Doctor Sοnic

There wasn't a regular "enemy" in Only Fools! There would be little rivals - Boycie for Del and maybe Mickey Pearce for Rodney (though he was just a bad friend), but most of the time the only outside tension came from the dodgy deals the Trotters made! And they were played for laughs, plus simple plot point to explain the need for fast cash.

I suddenly dread what The Nag's Head will become. A strip club, at this rate.

There wasn't a regular "enemy" in Only Fools! There would be little rivals - Boycie for Del and maybe Mickey Pearce for Rodney (though he was just a bad friend), but most of the time the only outside tension came from the dodgy deals the Trotters made! And they were played for laughs, plus simple plot point to explain the need for fast cash.

I suddenly dread what The Nag's Head will become. A strip club, at this rate.

Americans certainly do enjoy ruining our most beloved successful franchises in their attempts to "Americanise" them, don't they? Thankfully most don't see life beyond the inevitably crappy pilot episodes... but I have a terrible feeling that this will catch on and be abhorred by the entire British people. In fact, it should really be classed as a crime against humanity right now so that the "creators" of this shit can be put on trial at the Haig...