Awoo.

What do you want for the next Sonic game?

We all know right now that Sonic 4: Episode II is on the horizon.. but there is the possibility of a main series game releasing this year, or most likely in 2013. Some people want a Sonic Adventure 3, some want an HD port of Colors, some want SEGA to remake Sonic '06, or make a directors cut of the game. Tons of ideas are abound right now. But I want to see YOUR opinion on what you want to see for the next Sonic game.

What I would like to see for the next Sonic game is a fully 3D Sonic game, with no 2.5D sections whatsoever. I would like the game to have a good mix of exploration, platforming, and speed altogether. And let Sonic power up his abilities, giving the game an RPG-like feel, sort of like Sonic & The Secret Rings, and what was Sonic '06 was going to have implemented. And a story, going between the boundaries of lighthearted, and serious.

So, yeah. Discuss what Sonic game you want next.

Edited by Dr. Felix

A full 3D Sonic with proper Sonic physics as the primary focus. No boost. Multiple playable characters, if possible. Levels that merely have pits rather than being designed around them. Levels that make good use of the horizontal dimension.

• Thumbs Up 7

A full 3D Sonic with proper Sonic physics as the primary focus. No boost. Multiple playable characters, if possible. Levels that merely have pits rather than being designed around them. Levels that make good use of the horizontal dimension.

That would basically be like an Adventure game.
  • Thumbs Up 1

You know I'm not gonna lie. I kinda want another Advance game. =w=

Naturally someone needs to go the Dimps, slap them, sit them down with the first Advance, make them play it all the way through, and tell them to make a game like that again. I love the first Advance game~.

Pretty much what dio said. I mean i like the boost and i know they could probably make it a good move for sonic to use in a open 3d style. I could do with or without it personally. I will admit it needs fine tuning in order to keep it fresh.

But i also want more cartoonish levels. Like what generations did to the existing ones. I mean green hill was just wacky looking. More interaction with the other characters and more writing would be great!:D and hub worlds should return.

You know I'm not gonna lie. I kinda want another Advance game. =w=

Naturally someone needs to go the Dimps, slap them, sit them down with the first Advance, make them play it all the way through, and tell them to make a game like that again. I love the first Advance game~.

I've never played the Advance games... but I want a 3DS Sonic game. =D

Pretty much what dio said. I mean i like the boost and i know they could probably make it a good move for sonic to use in a open 3d style. I could do with or without it personally. I will admit it needs fine tuning in order to keep it fresh.

But i also want more cartoonish levels. Like what generations did to the existing ones. I mean green hill was just wacky looking. More interaction with the other characters and more writing would be great!biggrin.png and hub worlds should return.

I agree. And lol at your sig. XD

Sonic Rush 3

or Sonic Rush 3D (it writes itself man)

I'd love to get another crack at that series. I adore the first two games. Their quick and frantic playstyles are perfect for the handhelds, and their funky soundtracks are some of my favorites amongst a series with quite a few 5 star efforts. On top of all that, the Rush Series had some of the best story and development this side of the storybook series, so who wouldn't want to see more of that. Dimps got away from that style a little bit with Colors DS, but I'd love to see them return to form with what they are good at. I want that soundtrack and I want that fastpaced trick oriented boosting back.

Its only a matter of time before Sonic makes the jump to the 3DS, here's hoping they stick with the Rush series.

Edited by Sega DogTagz
  • Thumbs Up 3

Sonic Rush 3

or Sonic Rush 3D (it writes itself man)

I'd love to get another crack at that series. I adore the first two games. Their quick and frantic playstyles are perfect for the handhelds, and their funky soundtracks are some of my favorites amongst a series with quite a few 5 star efforts. On top of all that, the Rush Series had some of the best story and development this side of the storybook series, so who wouldn't want to see more of that. Dimps got away from that style a little bit with Colors DS, but I'd love to see them return to form with what they are good at. I want that soundtrack and I want that fastpaced trick oriented boosting back.

Its only a matter of time before Sonic makes the jump to the 3DS, here's hoping they stick with the Rush series.

It'd be nice to see that. But I would like this Rush game to be like Unleashed and Colors. 3D and 2D sections.

A game expanding on team-based gameplay on Heroes.

Basically I want Sonic Heroes 2.

Blech. Wanting a team-based game is one thing, but Heroes is a horrible example to build from.
  • Thumbs Up 2

Blech. Wanting a team-based game is one thing, but Heroes is a horrible example to build from.

The game would have been better, if it weren't for the horrid voice acting. =|

The would have been better if a single person on the development team gave a shit at any point.

Seems more like Adventure in my eyes, But I respect your opinion.

And I appreciate the politeness; though I'm curious as to how. I don't remember either Adventure game being much like that. The first one was closer than the second, but it still had a long way to go.

Edited by Dissident

I only cited Heroes since its the only 3D game to utilize the concept (and ignoring my personal bias for it).

moar Sanic Uncolorations gameplay , if it ain't broke don't yadda yadda.

BUT, with multiple playable shitty friends, without the shittyness. Have different atributes and multiple paths for zones that only certain characters can reach and contain rewards and stuff.

Edited by Professor Jackstraw PhD

moar Sanic Uncolorations gameplay , if it ain't broke don't yadda yadda.

BUT, with multiple playable shitty friends, without the shittyness. Have different atributes and multiple paths for zones that only certain characters can reach and contain rewards and stuff.

Seems good! We need to play as other characters, I've been frankly been tired playing only as Sonic.

Not by much. I'm not going to get into a full explanation of everything Heroes gets wrong, but the main thing that's relevant here is that, rather than empowering the player by giving them access to 3 characters' worth of abilities and team-up moves, it essentially cripples every character and leaves you with a clumsy mess that's barely as effective as a single character should be.

Seems more like Adventure in my eyes, But I respect your opinion.
The problem is that the Adventures, 1, don't focus on the physics (they exist, but they are often irrelevant to the gameplay, with levels mostly being fairly flat and the gameplay focused on running and spindashing), 2, have levels that are mostly very narrow and often situated over pits, and 3, don't use their other characters well (I kind of forgot to mention that they should actually play like Sonic characters, but that should go without saying). Edited by Diogenes

Not by much. I'm not going to get into a full explanation of everything Heroes gets wrong, but the main thing that's relevant here is that, rather than empowering the player by giving them access to 3 characters' worth of abilities and team-up moves, it essentially cripples every character and leaves you with a clumsy mess that's barely as effective as a single character should be.

I see your point.. =o Somehow, Heroes, felt.. rushed.

Heroes apparently had engine problems because of poor PS2 programming or something like that unless it was just a rumor. I'm all for the classic in 3D game, removal of quickstep exclusive sections and all that. Throw in a fantasy environment like Colors' and wacky geography too. I can sort of see what Felix means by it being an adventure game...it's just not quite on the mark

• Thumbs Up 2

Not rushed, poorly designed. The stuff I'm talking about is intentional choices for the sake of balancing the characters; the problem is that they went at it from the wrong direction.

Not rushed, poorly designed. The stuff I'm talking about is intentional choices for the sake of balancing the characters; the problem is that they went at it from the wrong direction.

Oh, ok. I see.

A game that improves on the Modern gameplay, and adds good amounts of Adventure and Classic to it.

(See spoiler for details!)

So here's what I'd do to make the current awesome 3d gameplay even better!

-What I'd do is take the awesome Modern gameplay, but slow down accel x2, so you do not feel like you have to move him at a snail's pace to platform. Also, at lower speeds, I'd tighten him right up ala the Adventures, and as he gets faster, the turning arc gradually gets wider until top speed, where you can make wide arcs. NOT barley able to turn ala Generations, but wide arcs.

-To make up for the slower acceleration, rolling/spindash would be brought back (in place of the slide), with more slopes in the level design to go with it. The boost would still be there, but earned in the Advance 2 style, in which you run at top speed for a certain time, and you break into the boost. This would be affected by slopes, and your ring count.

-All the classic powerups would be brought back. Also, there would be more level-specific gimmicks like the classics.

-Multiple playable characters would come back, in the style of Sonic 3k, in which everyone shares a few common moves, but other then that, has their own unique moveset.

-The homing attack would still be there, but it would be slowed down to Adventure speeds. Also, the length of the distance you bounce and (once you do it at a faster speed then the Homing attack's slowest speed cap) the range of the homing attack would depend on how fast you were going, so it feels more like a classic-styled bounce and can not be used as a platforming crutch.

Thoughts?

Edited by Chaos Warp
  • Thumbs Up 3

A game that improves on the Modern gameplay, and adds good amounts of Adventure and Classic to it.

(See spoiler for details!)

So here's what I'd do to make the current awesome 3d gameplay even better!

-What I'd do is take the awesome Modern gameplay, but slow down accel x2, so you do not feel like you have to move him at a snail's pace to platform. Also, at lower speeds, I'd tighten him right up ala the Adventures, and as he gets faster, the turning arc gradually gets wider until top speed, where you can make wide arcs. NOT barley able to turn ala Generations, but wide arcs.

-To make up for the slower acceleration, rolling/spindash would be brought back (in place of the slide), with more slopes in the level design to go with it. The boost would still be there, but earned in the Advance 2 style, in which you run at top speed for a certain time, and you break into the boost. This would be affected by slopes, and your ring count.

-All the classic powerups would be brought back. Also, there would be more level-specific gimmicks like the classics.

-Multiple playable characters would come back, in the style of Sonic 3k, in which everyone shares a few common moves, but other then that, has their own unique moveset.

-The homing attack would still be there, but it would be slowed down to Adventure speeds. Also, the length of the distance you bounce and (once you do it at a faster speed then the Homing attack's slowest speed cap) the range of the homing attack would depend on how fast you were going, so it feels more like a classic-styled bounce and can not be used as a platforming crutch.

Thoughts?

I love the idea. =D
  • Thumbs Up 1