Awoo.

Game (UK Retailer) Discussion

Patticus

As long I don't have to pay more than £45/50 for a new game then I am not too fussed but I do like to buy Games second-hand because I am not made of money.sleep.png

well, good bye store interaction and helpful customer assistants that were a blast to talk to

Where is your local GAME store? I never got anything like that...usually a buncha turds obsessing over Modern Borefare or Gears of Bore, and other boredom related puns...

I've already distanced myself from GAME anyway...after a large collection of pre-orders I made last year was suddenly cancelled for unknown reasons. And there website is pants...

I'm now going to a different place called "Grainger Games", they actually had Mario & Sonic at the London Olympic Games that I was able to purchase...

<,<

>,>

...a-and I didn't regret it...

Grainger Games link: http://www.graingergames.co.uk/

The biggest hit this will take is game awareness in the UK. Us hardcore people are fine, but gaming on the whole might have a sudden drop back into being a curious hobby while all the casual customers who NEED the customer service to know what the hell they're doing are going to have less places to go.

I don't know I play a lot of Video Games and I still like to have good custom service something Gamestores have over Supermarkets. Supermarkets may sell everything under one roof at cheaper prices but they lack service indvidual high street stores have.sad.png

Where is your local GAME store? I never got anything like that...usually a buncha turds obsessing over Modern Borefare or Gears of Bore, and other boredom related puns...

Biased much? tongue.png

I don't know I play a lot of Video Games and I still like to have good custom service something Gamestores have over Supermarkets. Supermarkets may sell everything under one roof at cheaper prices but they lack service indvidual high street stores have.sad.png

Well yeah we all enjoy good customer service, but I assume you don't wander into GAME without any idea of what you plan to leave with right? I'm talking about the kind of people who walk into a game shop about as confused and out-of-water as, I dunno, the average kid going into a bank to open their first ever account. The bank still scares me actually and I'm 22.

Well everything varies. Generally speaking there are 3 kind of clerks you'll find at a game shop, those who are total fanboys like you say, those who only care about making the sales and will pressure customers into getting things they don't need, and those who take the time and effort to understand the customer's needs and recommend what is best for them without being too pushy on the extras (you can't blame them, it is their job to sell the extras but there are nice ways to do it). I've met all three in my time and stores tend to have mixtures of all three.

@Hogfather: I haven't seen a GAME or Gamestation that still stocked games for anything not current gen in a good few years. So I don't find that unusual, personally. It kind of sucks about the PC games but from my experience most customers who wanted PC preferred to get them through Steam or cheaper off Amazon. But then our stores selection was pretty dire anyway except for the chart.

I worked at GAME! I always tried to be as helpful as possible and actually listen to customers and not be too pushy. But you HAVE to push extra products on people like accessories, deals, GAMEcare etc because it counts towards your stats which affects your performance as an individual and as a store. If your stats get too low you can get in big trouble.

We were targeted on how much money you get into the till, what percentage of that is accessories, what percentage is GAMEcare, pre-owned, trade-ins, how many pre-orders you got and how many reward cards you swiped. So when you consider that staff are targeted to get within a certain amount every day it's understandable that some can be a little pushy.

Although some staff are just jerks. One guy I worked with was really pushy to the point of flat out lying to customers or purposefully pushing annoying customers (as in people who didn't want any extras) onto other members of staff so it wouldn't effect his stats. I had customers flat out tell me that they avoided coming into the store on days he worked because they hated having to talk to him.

But yeah I'm being totally off topic lol...

Last I heard (through a friend who also used to work at GAME with me) was that they won't be stocking ANY EA games going forward. Though I'm not sure how true that is, if it is then it really sucks.

Yeah but the thing I like to shop I like to go to a store interact with people I don't like ordering stuf online and it still means I have to go to bank and deposit my money and I find that difficult on my own, If Game and Gamestation goes I'll feel bad for the people who will lose their jobs. Probably going to have get it from Tescos. sleep.png

Fuck EA Games.dry.png

I don't shop in GAME, since they're extremely over priced, so I won't miss them, but I too feel for those staff who will lose their jobs.

As for shopping in stores rather than online, there are still many other retailers who stock games and consoles: HMV, Argos, Sainsbury's, ASDA, Tesco, Morrisons, Currys/PC World, Comet, Smyths Toys and Toys R Us.

I've never had a problem with HMV, Toys R Us or Currys/PC World. They're always competitively priced, very friendly, helpful, and are quite good for stock.

I've never had a problem with HMV, Toys R Us or Currys/PC World. They're always competitively priced, very friendly, helpful, and are quite good for stock.

Really? I don't think I have ever purchased anything from HMV that I couldn't have got cheaper online.

• Thumbs Up 2

Really? I don't think I have ever purchased anything from HMV that I couldn't have got cheaper online.

That's almost always true for me too, although in the rare cases I could get it cheaper at HMV it was only because the delivery charge nudged it over the top online.

I'm talking just in store retailers, because BW199148 said he doesn't want to shop online. I know online is much cheaper. Supermarkets are usually the cheapest in store, but ignoring them, then the 3 I mentioned are at least competitively/fairly priced and not a complete rip-off like GAME. Currys/PC World and Toys R Us especially tend to have some good prices at a game's launch.

• Thumbs Up 1

I actually usually find HMV more overpriced than GAME, but I might have a skewed perspective. From GAME I only tended to pre-order special stuff which obviously costs more anyway, and casual day one purchases mostly happened when Mollfie was working there so... staff discount lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

I actually usually find HMV more overpriced than GAME, but I might have a skewed perspective.

Nope. They're definitely overpriced around here, too.

I go in HMV often and I've always found the standard games (non-limited edition or collector's edition and not named Call of Duty) to be the full £39.99 at the most, while GAME charges over that half of the time.

The thing with Game and the other stores.

Whilst I enjoy chatting to the staff about games, especially the ones in Gamestation. I don't like having to pay £10-£15 more to do it. Game is really expensive, even compared to other high street shops it's a really expensive place to buy stuff from, as for saying 'oh HMV isn't much cheaper' you're right, thats probably why HMV has been shutting a lot of stores recently too.

I bought Binary Domain last friday... £39.99 they asked for it... fortunately I got it a bit cheaper thanks to some bonus points... get home and discover zavvi are selling it for £24.99

The fact is, Game is charging too much. They have been for years, and now it's finally come around and bit them squarely on the ass as people would say.

So let me get this straight... if GAME stop stocking EA titles then that would eventually mean...

• No Sims
  • No Mass Effect
  • No FIFA
  • No Medal of Honour
  • No Battlefield

Wow.

So let me get this straight... if GAME stop stocking EA titles then that would eventually mean...

"EA Sports... S'not in the GAME"

That's one heck of a brand not to get stocked.

• Thumbs Up 4

Don't also forget that Apple is hurting GAME and GameStop with their so called game apps. It's the new "hip" for the current casual gamers. Angry Birds isn't known worldwide for nothing.

The only way these high priced game stores can win hearts back is if they match the prices of Amazon and co. Because no WAY I'm EVER going to get new games from GameStop again. $60 plus sales tax isn't cheap, especially when you can get the same game for like $50 online.

• No Sims
  • No Mass Effect
  • No FIFA
  • No Medal of Honour
  • No Battlefield

Wow.

Woowww, and I know the Brits are CRAZY over FIFA. This will finish GAME for sure. When FIFA Soccer 13 is around the corner, they'll be pissed they can no longer get the game from GAME.

Edited by Spice on the Starlight

Gamestop wants to buy GAME

http://www.eurogamer...buy-game-report

I really hope Street Fighter X Tekken Special Edition isn't axed next week. I have it preordered at my local Gamestation so i'm really hoping that it doesn't do what they did with The Last Story. Cancelling it one day before release.

Edited by BlueEagle21

This is why I'm an online shopper, its cheaper and I get my games 1 to 2 days before release. Shopto.net is where its at :D I will never shop at GAME again, I really do believe they will be gone by christmas this year.

I bought Binary Domain last friday... £39.99 they asked for it... fortunately I got it a bit cheaper thanks to some bonus points... get home and discover zavvi are selling it for £24.99.

I know what you mean my parents got me RAGE for Christmas only for it to be £15 after Christmas and thats offline and online. sleep.png

Edited by BW199148

I've already distanced myself from GAME anyway...after a large collection of pre-orders I made last year was suddenly cancelled for unknown reasons. And there website is pants...

I'm now going to a different place called "Grainger Games", they actually had Mario & Sonic at the London Olympic Games that I was able to purchase...

<,<

>,>

...a-and I didn't regret it...

Grainger Games link: http://www.graingergames.co.uk/

Edited by Samus Aran

in fact one time one came out and asked if i was an otaku pervert because i bought Blazblue over street fighter... i took it with a pinch of salt but did complain to the manager later in the week when picking up Bayonetta at launch date, so i know how you feel, sometimes people that work in game shops take for granted they have a cool job, and tend to be snobby and rub it in peoples faces sometimes.

Important information about Mass Effect 3

Unfortunately we are not in a position to supply our customers with Mass Effect 3. As dedicated gamers, we know how disappointing this will be and we apologise sincerely for the inconvenience that this will cause.

We value our customers very highly and customers who have already preordered will be contacted shortly with more information.

For more information on where you can get hold of Mass Effect 3, we would recommend visiting EA www.ea.com/uk/masseffect3update

Frequently Asked Questions About Mass Effect 3

What will happen to my other preorders?

We are doing everything we can to ensure our usual high standards of availability. If there are issues with any other titles, we will contact you.

What happens if I placed a deposit in-store?

Of course we will give you a full refund (you will receive the amount back in your original payment method.) We'll also add £5 worth of Reward Card Points to you balance if you come into store to claim between 1st - 16th March.

If I pre-ordered in-store what will I need to do?

You will need to bring proof of your preorder to the store you placed it. We will add £5 worth of Reward Card Points to your balance as long as you claim between 1st - 16th March.

Why is this happening?

GAME are a hugely popular brand with gamers of all ages. The high street is having a tough time at the moment because people have less money to spend. We're doing as much as we can to give our customers the widest possible range during this time, but as flagged before, we need our partners help in order to do this. We want to be in a position where we're selling as much of their products as we possibly can. We need their help to do this and that's what we're working on at the moment.

Will this keep happening?

As we have stated before, we are still negotiating with our partners which will mean we can stock as much product as we possibly can.

Will this mean GAME won't be offering exclusives from publishers (such as limited edition) in the future?

That's really a question for our suppliers but, with a track record of offering customers added value, it's certainly something we plan to offer at GAME in the future.

What message do you have to gamers who are afraid of pre-ordering with GAME because they're worried they may be cancelled at the last minute because you can't stock them?

Well, we know our customers really well. Most of them have a really long history with us, and they know as a business we are absolutely committed to giving the best possible range as much of the time as we possibly can. Clearly we have had a small number of issues in the last couple of weeks but we are working to resolve that going forward. We hope our customers will understand that these are temporary issues and continue their loyal history with us.

Will you stock Mass Effect in the future?

We may do.

http://www.game.co.u...4&storeId=10151

What a poor explanation.

• Thumbs Up 1

GAME's now having a clearance sale, and Zelda: Skyward Sword as well as other recent Nintendo published/distributed games and consoles are part of it.

http://www.game.co.u...SC&pageNumber=1

Guess Nintendo's suppliers really have fell out with GAME.

Uh Oh Chongo!

Games shares have dropped by 5% following Mass Effect the cancellation of all EA games, The Guardian has worked out it's cost them nearly 2 million pounds in profits.