Awoo.

PSN accounts to become Sony Entertainment Network accounts

Detective Shadzter

PSN accounts to become Sony Entertainment Network accounts

Published Saturday, Feb 4 2012, 10:09 GMT | By Mark Langshaw

gaming_playstation_network.jpg

Sony has announced that PlayStation Network accounts will become known as Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) accounts.

The rebranding has been implemented to create a "comprehensive network platform" of services across games, movies, music and other media.

"This transition is based on Sony's goal to enhance its unique digital entertainment offering. As a series of these activities Sony started last September, PlayStation Network will be aligned with Sony Entertainment Network," read an email from Sony to its subscribers.

"This helps us get closer to our goal of establishing a global comprehensive network platform of services across games, movies, music and more, all accessible from one convenient account."

Besides minor terms of service alterations, the change is in name only. Subscribers' username and password details will not change.

Sony says that the rebranding will be introduced with the next PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita software updates on February 8. The change will not be applied to PlayStation Portable for the time being.

http://www.digitalsp...k-accounts.html

This sounds silly. Can you imagine asking a friend if they fancy playing X game on 'SEN' later, instead of PSN? Ultimately, it doesn't change anything apart from the name, but still, it's going to take some getting used to.

Makes sense from a business perspective, but yeah, it sounds much worse. Especially cause it's still the Playstation, not 'Sony Entertainment System'. Ah well.

Edited by HYDROCITEE
  • Thumbs Up 3

Consolidation of their movie, music and game units to spread into a more holistic entertainment portfolio. Nothing big about it.

Edited by Neon
  • Thumbs Up 1

So like...who else is gonna just keep calling it PSN anyway...despite it not being the "official" name anymore?

I will. Just like I kept calling the Wii "Revolution".

For about 10 minutes.

• Thumbs Up 1

I will. Just like I kept calling the Wii "Revolution".

For about 10 minutes.

But this is different though, unlike Revolution, we've been calling it PSN for years now, but I guess you have a point.

Edited by Inferno

SEN - one syllable. PSN - 3 syllables. I think I'll vote for SEN since i don't have a Playstation 3. :D Logic!

Makes sense from a business perspective, but yeah, it sounds much worse. Especially cause it's still the Playstation, not 'Sonic Entertainment System'. Ah well.

Sonic Enternainment System? Since when did Sony buy out SEGA and Sonic the Hedgehog :P?

• Thumbs Up 1

I think you can still call the PlayStation Network the PlayStation Network, it's just that your account will be a SEN account, that can be used across the entire network.

That's how I'm reading it, at least. The PS3 side of this will still be called PSN, as far as I'm concerned.

That said, SEN is a better name than Qriocity, or whatever the bloody hell it was beforehand.

Heh, that reminds me that I still need to install and update Gran Turismo 5 at some point, must be close to 3GB of updates waiting alongside the 8GB install...

Eep.

Oki dokes, I'll stand corrected on that one then :) Wasn't too sure if they were changing the name of the entire service, or just what the account was linked to.

Still going to call the PlayStation side of it PSN though, I'm too used to that to change it in my head XD

It's like MSN, MSN changed its name to Windows Live Messenger (WLM) years ago but most people still call it MSN.