Awoo.

Something I want to know

FlameKoetsu

I don't get why this happens, is it because mario games are supposed to be always good so it doesn't matter and sonic games are seen as bad? or what?

People are just obsessed with finding flaws in a Sonic game...especially one that's supposed to re-capture classic gameplay, that's what I've learned from my stay so far, on the other hand Mario is perfect, because the general public views him that way and anyone who disagrees needs to die or something.

You know, it's funny you should say this, because I know for a fact NSMBW was torn apart from the second it was announced as being far too much of a lazy retread of series themes and ideas, to the extent that it looked like an spruced-up port of the original game. I know for a fact that Miyamoto's in-hindsight-scarily-similar-to-Iizuka's statements about how they could put more effort into NSMBW so it didn't look like such a lazy cash-in, but didn't really care to, were the cause of much vitriol. And I know for a fact that reviews dumped on the game for both of those reasons (hell, I saw reviews that took far more issue with it than I ever did for Sonic 4). And I know all of these things because I saw them happen in the thread for the game on this board, so I can't imagine what was happening on Mario boards. Hell, the 3DS game got similar ire for similar reasons.

And since it seems to me that the only real dividing line between the two is that Sonic 4 does all that and is shit, and NSMBW does all that and is at the very least decent in spite of itself, I'm honestly not sure what the issue is. That people shouldn't hate Sonic 4 so much? That people should hate the past couple Mario games more? That Sonic 4 is better than them? What?

Edited by Celestia
  • Thumbs Up 2

Indeed. That's the other thing about Mario. His games do very little wrong. They all look beautiful, they all have amazing soundtracks, they all have near flawless controls and balanced physics and mechanics. Mario games have been like this pretty much forever. Sonic hasn't quite found his groove again, but Mario's always had it. Though the problems with Mario games now is the fact that some of them don't do enough RIGHT. New Super Mario Bros Wii and the aforementioned Mario 3D Land are excellent examples. They lack any kind of ambition.

Yeah i mean those two games i was going to point out. While they do little wrong they seem to lack the feeling of excitment and fun that i had with other games. That lack of "Adventure feel" If you may. I mean they just seem like "oh a good mario game." and NOT"OH WOW THIS LOOKS CREATIvE AND FUN." i mean That's what i think generations did better. Sure it had it's problems, but it felt more adventure like and kept having me come back to it.

But 90% of the time yeah mario games do what they were needed to. Be good and fun, which is why i think it has that praise compared to sonic. Yes he's getting better and people are noticing but he's not quite up and out yet.

Edited by The Amazing Spiderman

I have gazed into the heart of the abyss and I have seen that every specific video game forum in existence will always complain when a new game utilises throwbacks to previous game elements. Mario? Check. Metroid? Check. Zelda? Check. Mega Man? Double, and triple check.

Meanwhile, the internet board of health must reissue its warning against participating in the buzzword drinking game. We saw a lot of liver damage during the "physics" period, and this "rehash" fad is bound to be just as unhealthy.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm not too sure myself, but I will admit that even personally it just seems to sit right with me in NSMB, whereas it just doesn't for me in S4E1. Maybe it's because it feels as though the battle is more of a direct rehash in S4E1, whereas it seems like it's slightly more original in NSMB? Like I say, I'm not sure. It just seems to naturally work with Mario for some reason, at least for me. Sonic's always been the more experimental type - maybe that's it.

Frankly, I find the whole mentality of "Mario fans are blind sheep who obviously give their series undue praise no matter what" to be an unfair strawman argument to deflect unfavorable comparisons of Sonic to Mario. As a longtime Mario fan myself, I can tell you that the Mario fanbase calls out problems with the series where we see them.

I often find people who say that to be VERY hypocritical in regards to comparing their fandom with others, and I think it has more to with jealousy for whatever Sonic fan says that towards a Mario fan in a lot of cases. Okay, sure the Mario series may have what you could call a better safety net for when it makes its other titles, but I doubt Mario fans are as blind for wanting to play Mario Party anymore than a Sonic fan is for wanting to play Sonic Shuffle or Riders.

However...

For that matter, mainstream gaming media doesn't ignore or gloss over these flaws either.

I sometimes find the mainstream gaming media to be a bit..."bipolar" if I'm even using that word right.

I've found a few reviews of the Mario and Sonic Olympic games to praise the Mario characters while bashing the Sonic characters simply because they're their, and for very little reason other than prejudice for their involvement in past Sonic games. So I think the criticism against them is a bit more justified than it would towards Mario fans, depending on the subject.

...I might have just completely discredited whatever I was trying to say. :lol:

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 3