Awoo.

youtube links no longer embedding

Badnik Mechanic

This has been happening on and off since friday night and it seems to be almost random.

Previously, to embed a youtube video all you had to do is post the url and the forum would embed the video automatically.

Well since friday the videos are sometimes just displaying as a link and even if you click them, sometimes they're not actually directing you to the video.

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 1

Previously, to embded a youtube video all you had to do is post the url and the forum would embed the video automatically.

Wait... really?

I've always been doing it by hand...

• Thumbs Up 3

I had this issue myself even using the media tags and had to switch to another video to fix it, which isn't really a fix.

*educated guess*

This seems to have something to do with the hash code for the video not parsing properly.

Or in English: it can't read the code telling you which video to load because it's using an unusual character and throws a wobbly.

In that example you posted, Hogfather, the coding looks like this:

[url="http://www.sonicstadium.org/out.php?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1rHGbxvYug"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=v1rHGbxvYug[/url]

If you double check what you just posted, and make sure you use a completely clean Youtube URL, does the problem still happen?

Just tried to post some other videos below, still get the same result... as you can probably tell.

Although when I look at the page, it doesn't display that random line of code, it shows youtube.c and then the videos ID thing, if I click on it, it still takes me to the video.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=v1rHGbxvYug

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=80wTfSEqluo

Even if I put them in media tags it still doesn't work.

Edited by Hogfather

Looking at the code for both of those, they look different. The first is the same as the example in my post above, the second no different from regular non-Youtube URLS. Odd. Sounds like what Velotix suggested...

... except, here's the same link from the first video there. Seems to work find when I post it. So, browser issues?

Edited by HYDROCITEE

You see, that's weird, because I just copied the URL for the Sonic CD video and pasted it and it did this:

I've just gone back into the example I posted. deleted the urls and put them in using media tags and it worked.

But I've never had to do that previously, before all I had to do was put in the url and it worked automatically.

I've just gone back into the example I posted. deleted the urls and put them in using media tags and it worked.

But I've never had to do that previously, before all I had to do was put in the url and it worked automatically.

It sounds like there could be something wrong on your end, cause I embedded the exact same video as you, but didn't use media/youtube tags and everything worked out dandy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Using IE 8.

Just had a look at some old posts I've made.

it would seem that any post I have made that had a youtube video in it is now showing the error unless I used media tags. Even if the video was showing previously, now it's displaying the error.

Just trying to post this using firefox with no media tags.

Edit:

Right... when I post just the url in firefox, the video embeds normally, if I go to edit post, I can see the media tags have been placed automatically.

Although I don't know why videos that I've posted which used to display normally now do not, unless theres been a board update?

Edited by Hogfather

Is there a reason you're using IE8 and not IE9? I have a feeling it is because you are using an outdated OS (XP?) which IE9 does not support.

If so, I recommend downloading Firefox/Google Chrome. If it fixes your problem, it may be something that IE8 does that breaks video linking.

Edit: I post too slow. Didn't see your edit with Firefox working via posting videos. But I guess you still have a problem with old videos not being embed anymore.

Edited by Autosaver

Is there a reason you're using IE8 and not IE9? I have a feeling it is because you are using an outdated OS (XP?) which IE9 does not support.

If so, I recommend downloading Firefox/Google Chrome. If it fixes your problem, it may be something that IE8 does that breaks video linking.

Yes, because I don't like how the favourites icon is on the right in IE9.

It might be, although I don't quite understand why it's no longer displaying videos I put in posts from several months/weeks ago.

Theres no issue if I use media tags, it seems to display the videos fine once I manually put the tags in.

If I use firefox to look at old posts I made, the videos also don't display anymore.

I use Chrome and it happens to me too, to make it work I have to copy the URL, paste it in notepad and then copy the URL from notepad to the post (If I don't do this the forum seems to automatically add the URL tags.instead of the media ones)... lemme see...

The auto media thing works when I do the notepad thing.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=C_S5cXbXe-4

EDIT: The copy paste from sidebar, not so much.

Edited by gato

It's I think caused by a modification I made to the BBcode system recently, which adds some extra code to posted URLs. I'm guessing that the URL and media filters are getting mixed up in some situations.Edi

Edit: Disabled the filter for Youtube links.

• 2 weeks later...