Awoo.

What Events Made You Proud to Be a Sonic Fan?

Sapphire the Hedgehog

Basically, what things have you done or seen that made you proud to be a part of this fanbase. For example, my ¨ proud fan moment¨ would be when I first found out about Summer of Sonic. The entire convention sounded just...fasinating. Where I am, there is VERY little to no Sonic fans,so to here a place that Sonic fans from all over the world can go and enjoy the franchise together was amazing to me.(You can tell I am VERY lonely here). Your thoughts?

The Sonic Boom event and Sonic making a second appearance in the Macy's parade and people's reactions to it. It's like everybody in the crowd knows who he is which was very cool. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

The entirety of Sonic Adventure 2.

It was a great game and it really changed my life then.

But that's about it. :P

• Thumbs Up 2

What SD said, and also when Generations nuked any trace of said Sonic cycle.

Edited by Chaos Warp

I totally agree with what Scarlet Spider said, i almost shed a tear when I heard the "Happy Birthday sonic" at the end. And the whole "Sonic Cycle" thing is beyond stupid

This is a strange one...and not many people here will get the reference, but...

Steak +8

The idea that fans essentially broke the tier list through sheer force of will was pretty cool to me. Sonic would be proud.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic has always been with me throughout my life, and during my secondary school years (high school if you're not English XD) I was actually bullied a lot for it.

Regardless of this, however, I eventually stumbled onto RadioSEGA and started to reappreciate my love for the company, and the 'Hog himself. Being a part of Summer of Sonic since 2009, and the vast number of awesome people I have met and am able to call my closest friends because of it, is something that I will always be proud of.

Oh i'll tell you what makes me proud to be a Sonic fan.

Let's flash back to the 1990's, where everyone of my generation, including myself, thought Sonic was the most awesome video game character around. Oh how we kids loved him. And the video game critis did too, for that matter

But then came that period when Sonic games started loosing the critic's approval and Sonic started loosing his fans. But unlike so many other people who once loved the blue dude with attitude, i stuck with him. Of course, many of his games really were bad, im not denying that. But even so, i for one never lost faith in his potential. Sooooo many former fans were all like "Sega should just discontinue the franchise, Sonic will never be good again". People talked about Sonic as if his games couldn't possibly be good again and the only thing left to do was to "mercy kill" ol' blue. But i stuck with him! I knew that even if the franchise was currently going through hard times, the basic concept behind Sonic and his world is way to good to ever lose faith in. So i stuck with him!

And here we are now, in a time where Sonic games once again gets praise from critics, where they once again appear on gamers top games of the year lists, and where even the world outside the video game sphere appear to once again see Sonic as having mass appeal (that Progressive commercial anyone?). Sonic is back baby! And loads of the now young adults who were fans of Sonic during his heyday and then for years went all "Sega, just kill Sonic already, he sucks now! Boooo!" are now having their love for him springing to life again through his awesome new games. And meanwhile im sitting here going "yeah, good for you guys, good to see that you finally came around to realize that Sonic still has much to give. Oh but guys, just so you know, some people never left him in in the first place. Some people stuck with their beloved childhood hero through his hard times because they never stopped believeing that he is simply fundamentally to damn good to lose hope for. Some people like me!".

That that's one thing that makes me hella proud to be a hardcore Sonic fan; when i think about the fact that even through his worst times, i never gave up on Sonic. I. FUCKIN. STUCK. WITH. HIM!!!! Suck on THAT, former-euthanasia-proponents! HA! laugh.png

Edited by batson
  • Thumbs Up 7

HOLY POOP YOU'RE ME. Freaked me out a little, to be honest. :P

I'd have to agree with Jix. Seeing Sonic in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, especially being the first balloon, was awesome. I fangasmed really bad that morning. A bunch of my RL friends even texted me that morning asking if I was proud!

The moment last week when I got my 20th Anniversary statue in the mail was pretty sweet, too. Opening it up was better than Christmas morning.

And to be honest, I get all giddy anytime I play a new Sonic game for the first time. Anyone on here who doesn't is in the wrong place!

Seeing THIS for the first time

It brought a tear to my eye and was a sign of great things to come for the the blue blur.

• Thumbs Up 8

Seeing THIS for the first time

It brought a tear to my eye and was a sign of great things to come for the the blue blur.

Man, after '06 that must have felt REALLY good to see! Not that Unleashed was perfect, but a huge step up from 2006.

I skipped '06, so when I saw that trailer I didn't get as pumped as those looking for a decent Sonic game.

What makes me proud to be a Sonic fan? Why when I meet friendly folks from the community of course! And I don't just mean folks who type smiley faces, but people who are genuinely nice. Whether it be a kind comment, or somebody overseas willing to send merch or decent people who get recognized for their hard work. cool.png

• Thumbs Up 1

When Sonic appeared in the macy's thanksgiving parade and when he was announced for brawl. Oh hell the franchise in general, even though it's had it's ups and downs, makes me proud to be a fan.

• Thumbs Up 1

One of the more recent things that made me feel proud to be a Sonic fan was participating in the SSMB album collab. I love it when fans with a common interest come together to create something awesome, especially when it's in the form of music.

Whenever I hear about fans breaking into work on the official comics and games.. Looking at fan art, custom action figures, fan games, and fan designed papercrafts..

All that stuff reminds me of what an awesome fanbase Sonic has..

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic Colors' trailer. I honestly scoffed when it was first announced. But when gameplay was shown I felt a spark from that trailer. This was it. This was the game that I've been waiting for. Given the extremely low expectations I had, Colors blew them all out of the water where even Sonic 4 failed. Generations came along next year and ...sort of met the high expectations I had but still impressed me. Those 2 games along with finally starting to become more popular in mainstream media are what make me proud.

When Sonic Adventure came out in September 9, 1999. From 97 till then, I was wondering if Sonic would ever come back to gaming after Saturn failed. For the first time, I branched out to the-then Playstation franchises like Tekken, Final Fantasy, and Crash Bandicoot since Sonic seemingly died. I was pissed at the fact that people just forgot about him and SEGA altogether. As well as the Big N taking a back seat to a heartless Sony. At the Fall of 1998, when Gamepro previewed Sonic Adventure for the first time with its powerful Dreamcast graphics, I literally screamed out on top of my lungs when Sonic was getting his first 3D adventure that would look better than any other platformer to date. I waited a whole year so that I could play that game. When I got it in late 99, my expectations would never be the same. That was my proudest Sonic moment ever.

• Thumbs Up 2

The music collab album from this very forum because I made a couple tracks and some album art for it and people liked it. So that made me happy :)

Otherwise not a lot of stuff makes me proud to be in a fandom persay, since I really have nothing I've done to be proud of otherwise and/or haven't contributed anything worthwhile. Which is fine by me really.

Ooh, just thought of another good one. When I went to see Video Games Live! and they started off the concert with that Sonic Medley. Oooooh God. The chills that were had. I was speechless. I was without speech.

Hearing that trumpet player warming up before the concert with Starlight Zone will never leave my memory.

Had quite a few, but here's one I recalled just now...

I was staying with my Dad for the week. All I had with me was my Gameboy Advanced, with Sonic Advance and Pokemon Sapphire. I loved Sonic Advance, still do, it's pretty much the closest thing to Sonic the Hedgehog 4 that isn't Sonic 4.

Had to go to school. Came back and couldn't my GBA. Asked me dad and he handed it back to me. "Here you go bubba. I beat your Sonic Game." He says. He's not much of a gamer, so I doubted him. Told me he played as Sonic. And I checked my Tiny Chao Garden, and my Ring count jumped up considerably... So I took his word for it.

So yeah, he doesn't play games, especially Sonic, but he beat Sonic Advance while I was at school. Made me happy.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

The 10th and 20th anniversary celebrations, SoS (even though I've never been to one [soS, Y U NO COME TO AMERICA?]), Sonic's rebirth in Sonic Colors, and the fan sites, including TSS.