Awoo.

[COMMUNITY PROJECT] "Sonic the Parody" with neon lights everywhere!

Jeffhog

Wow guys, lots of exciting stuff happening! Loving the art direction in what I saw of those Sonic concepts redhellc, and the idea of visual parodies. Just great. :)

Also some fabulous auditions from Mykonos and Roareye. All of your voices are so great! I particularly like Mykonos' Sonic and Roareye's Shadow, although the thug voices all go without saying. XD You both came up with great voices for the narrator too, so good luck to you both. :)

However, I'd like to humbly submit my own auditions, for the parts of the narrator, and of Mephiles. I do have my own personal take on the narrative style, which isn't perhaps isn't as dramatic as Roareye's, but I personally agree with the previous statement that in some instances the hilarity of the project will be established by how utterly serious we appear to be taking ourselves for ironic contrast.

The narration voice I use is essentially just my voice, or my "reading voice" if you will, so this is what it sounds like in my head when I read it/write it. Also, for Mephiles, I can't get my voice to sound precisely like Dan Green's, so I more or less opted for a horny Darth Vader/James Earl Jones.

http://www.mediafire.com/?gz7lyi5ycp5d5ed

I apologize that I can't upload it to YouTube for a live preview, but I haven't got a copy of iMovie, and YouTube is giving me crap about uploading a file that is just audio. Enjoy! :D

Huh... I'll check it. :\

Weird... the file is gone. I'll just rerecord, it'll only take a minute. XD

Edited by Mystery002
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think it would be wise for the Narrator part for you to also do the moments where he appears to be having a go at the reader too. I say this because the narrator's voice has to hold audience interest between relatively large chunks of dialogue and the way it is written the narrator seems to grow to despise their own audience as the fiction goes on (As he/she gets overly defensive during the course of it). Anybody trying for the narrator really needs to be able to carry that element off as well as reading the descriptive narration.

I'd say that goes for anyone going for the narrator role. Doesn't have to be at the extreme length mine was (sorry ^^;; ) but that element certainly needs to be there.

PS. I find it hilarious nobody has mentioned my nearly racist Knuckles impersonation :P

• Thumbs Up 1

You're definitely right about the mounting narrator defensiveness and hatred for the audience/reader, but I probably would've been able to demonstrate this a little better with a longer clip. Of course, like you said, recording the whole thing is a bit much for an audition, or a bit much to do in one go for the vocal chords. XD I can give it a shot thought if you all like. :)

I did it in one go for 23 minutes, it's how you warm up the vocal chords and how naturally/well you project. Voice actors generally run on the same 9 hour shifts as anyone else, as do radio broadcasters, so it isn't too much depending on how naturally you utilise the voice.

The idea of auditions is to show you can handle the varying scales of the role. You don't have to do a larger chunk necessarily, just do clips from the areas where the narrator is more defensive. So rather than do a chunk in one go, just add in the bits where the narrator is more emotive, and pad it with 2/3 lines either side of the emotive sentance/s.

YaoMingMeme.jpg

...You know, I don't actually care that much. Just wanted to throw my hat into the ring, so to speak. If Vizard didn't like mine or didn't think it was long enough, I wasn't going to be heartbroken. I liked your auditions, but I'm not really interested in a power struggle, so I'm going to withdraw my audition.

Good say, sir.

calvin-coolidge.jpg

Erm... I don't know where you got the idea of some form of power struggle. O.o

I was simply offering advice on how best to showcase your talents to the topic creator. Christ, you didn't have to try and put yourself on a pedestal and try and belittle me. Your attitude is surprising for someone who claims to have written the fiction in question as 'a jest'. I figured this was a bit of light hearted humour, an introspective on the community fiction works. I never said I didn't like your audition nor that someone wouldn't appreciate it. Maybe my advice was misplaced and came across the wrong way, if it did I am sorry for that, but seriously you don't have to try and create a drama on here over this. We're only having some fun.

Christ, you didn't have to try and put yourself on a pedestal and try and belittle me. Your attitude is surprising for someone who claims to have written the fiction in question as 'a jest'. I figured this was a bit of light hearted humour, an introspective on the community fiction works. I never said I didn't like your audition nor that someone wouldn't appreciate it. Maybe my advice was misplaced and came across the wrong way, if it did I am sorry for that, but seriously you don't have to try and create a drama on here over this. We're only having some fun.

I wasn't belittling you, all I was saying is that clearly you have a better idea of how to go about voice acting than I do, so if it's going to take that much work and back and forth and trying to earn a little gold star, I don't really want to do that if I probably won't get it anyways. My post was actually about that, not starting a drama. :|

I do apologize if I offended you though, as that was not my intention, I thought that this would be a way to bow out with some humor. :\

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't belittling you, all I was saying is that clearly you have a better idea of how to go about voice acting than I do, so if it's going to take that much work and back and forth and trying to earn a little gold star, I don't really want to do that if I probably won't get it anyways. My post was actually about that, not starting a drama. :|

He was just giving some general tips/process, it's actually pretty helpful stuff just to know in general, I think.

So um...how goes this?

Edited by Mykonos

HIATUS: Auditions for "Sonic the Parody" ~ May 1st-7th

Right, since things are gonna be a bit busy for me over the next month and a half (Uni exams mainly), I'm gonna have to put this little project on hold until the end of April. I can't concentrate on my work and this at the same time, so... yeah. ^^; Sorry fellas!

If anything, you have this much more time to prepare your own auditions for narrator positions and each role present, and to get more used to the fanfic and immerse yourself into it a whole lot better for better preparation. Proper guidelines will be up by the end of April.

~VizardJeffhog

Edited by VizardJeffhog

• 4 months later...

MY BAD, MYSTERY. XD MY BAD.

PROJECT WILL RESUME TOMORROW, YADDA YADDA.

BELATED ME IS BELATED.

Funny enough, I was talking about this with Cola earlier in the day. :r

But yeah, what Jeff said.

• Thumbs Up 2

Er... Can I collaborate in any way to this project?

Thing is I don't know how but I'd like to help with this. spinsmile.gif

• 2 months later...