Awoo.

Sonic The Comic - Online!

The Stiv™

The Vichama final part is still being drawn, but as soon as we get it, it will be published ;)

#250 is almost done and from what I've seen, it's great.

*back to work on his pages*

Yeah, I keep forgetting that a few members of the StCO staff come here. XD It's also great that we won't have to wait too long for 250. The question is... what will the big change be? Well, we haven't been given any clues, so there isn't much point speculating.

... Oh eff it, I'm speculating anyway.

I think Robotnik will return. It's not the same without him.

It's 'nearly done' but it might take another month? You guys have a much different definition of the phrase than I do. :D Then again, my project isn't even off the ground yet, so I have no right to comment. XD

I've liked what I've been able to read of the original Sonic the Comic. It's another interesting take on the character and the world. I wish I could read the whole anthology, but until they release an actual collection of sorts (why they haven't already, given the Hedgehog's popularity in Europe, is beyond me) I'm going to have a a hard time of it. I'm iffy over downloading the comics.

In any case, in regards to Sonic the Comic Online, it's had it's ups and downs. Though it's perhaps unwise for me to speak ill of my peers (as I'm the headwriter of a fan comic team myself, and will be releasing the first issue of my own series shortly), I can't help but speak my mind. The comic's been going through some serious quality fluctuations over the last few years. The House of the Dead strip featured surprisingly poor writing for a fan comic that typically has very high standards. Many of the other non Sonic strips have ranged from okay to boring over the last couple years. I'm sure any writer from StCO would like to see me elaborate on my complaints, as saying "I don't really like it" or "I like it" doesn't really help them as far as criticism goes, but I don't have the time :(.

The main Sonic strip is still pretty strong though, and thats what I'm going to continue to come back for. The preview for 150 and beyond looks DAMN good to, I might add.

No offense, but... this thing is still going on? I though it'd died years ago. But meh.

I've read better fancomics in the past (Other M, Chaos Diamonds 3)

Chaos Diamonds 3 is freaking AMAZING.

I just had to say that....

Aye, it's pretty cool. Fight scenes can be a bit too drawn out though. The violence was also kinda outta place for a Sonic story.

Those two aside though, incredibly entertaining and expertly written. Wish I had some of the wit the comic's writer had.

• 4 months later...

Sonic the Comic - Online! Issue #250 has finally made it to the internets!

Cheak out the epic issue, over at: 250-cover-mini.jpg

Edited by The Stiv™

The style clash from going from Adamis's watercolors to the artist who closely mirrors the original STC notwithstanding, something just feels "off" about this comic. It kind of has the same feel as "Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom", where they just made it serious just because.

The style clash from going from Adamis's watercolors to the artist who closely mirrors the original STC notwithstanding, something just feels "off" about this comic. It kind of has the same feel as "Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom", where they just made it serious just because.

I feel bad knocking STC-O, because I know a lot of work has gone over it over the years, but I dislike the comic for basically the reason that you stated...out of place seriousness that seems to happen just for the sake of it. Especially Tekno(Amy's canary sidekick from the original comic) going from a cheerful, optimistic character to (What apparently is) a psychotic murderer.

At least they're serious without being pretentious.

I'm not so sure about that...Some of the storylines(Like the aforementioned "Tekno goes crazy in the middle of nowhere") felt like they were trying to be "deep" as well as dark, like they were trying to be the next "Watchmen." But I might be reading too much into things, admittedly.

Not really, the story was spanned for several issues (which were actually weeks after weeks), and they were both shown as slowly descending into madness, as they were more and more repressed, more and more in trouble, more and more hopless of escaping. I suppose Tekno's murder was a bit too much, but it still fit the story and the setting.

Not really, the story was spanned for several issues (which were actually weeks after weeks), and they were both shown as slowly descending into madness, as they were more and more repressed, more and more in trouble, more and more hopless of escaping. I suppose Tekno's murder was a bit too much, but it still fit the story and the setting.

I can see where you're coming form, they did gradually build up the story and its setting over a period of years.

But I personally don't see the point of even putting a concept like that in the comic in the first place. The whole thing just seemed to be running of the notion "Wouldn't it clever if we took two previously light-hearted characters and broke them psychologically past the point of no return?" It seemed out of place, because, to the best of my knowledge, there has always been at least, some sense of hope in all Sonic continuities, no matter how bad things got. This didn't seem like "Earn your happy ending" so much as "Dark stories are automatically smarter and better than lighter stories, so you can't be happy, ever."

• Thumbs Up 1

Slowly adding forced or out of placed elements isn't really much better than springing them all at once. Just think about this for a moment: A character is slowly driven to madness by crushing depression... In a comic about Sonic the Hedgeohg.

I can see where you're coming form, they did gradually build up the story and its setting over a period of years.

But I personally don't see the point of even putting a concept like that in the comic in the first place. The whole thing just seemed to be running of the notion "Wouldn't it clever if we took two previously light-hearted characters and broke them psychologically past the point of no return?" It seemed out of place, because, to the best of my knowledge, there has always been at least, some sense of hope in all Sonic continuities, no matter how bad things got. This didn't seem like "Earn your happy ending" so much as "Dark stories are automatically smarter and better than lighter stories, so you can't be happy, ever."

And since when other Sonic continuities look at each other as a guide. Most of the time they don't follow rules as established by the main cannon to begin with. Why is this hope thing more important than A) a colourful world (SatAM/Underground did not follow), B) Tails being Sonic's second man (SatAM/Undergound did not follow), C) Sonic as a free spirit (SatAM did not follow), D) Eggman as a funny villain (only AOSTH followed)? Every spinoff was adapted their own way and they used what they wanted as they saw fit.

A world can be fluff and bunnies and still have serious problems to deal with. And this is what happens in the most praised Sonic games, like the classics and their abuse of nature conequences, the good and bad futures of CD, Knuckles' decisions in S3&K, Gamma's story and death in SA or Chip's story in Unleashed. The world in these games isn't overshadowed by these deeper moments, it's still fun, Eggman is still funny and he still constructs funky robots, the setting is still colourful and the story is still simple. STC does this, the world is still funky and simple, while incorporating deep aspects as well. Complete monster Robotnik is a lesser point, but at least it didn't use shades of black, grey and brown as a mean to easily create a serious setting without further substance.

Continuing, STC might be a bit darker in theme than the games and most spinoffs relating to Sonic, that's very true. But they never, ever tryed to overplay them. The Tekno murder is not the most heaviest STC has to offer either. STC didn't pretentiously tried to pass off cheap drama as a serious story, it dealt with these issues properly as they should, which is something I respect and has merit. Johny Lightfoot died and he was someone from the main cast. Compare this death to filler characters, sometimes with no name whatsoever, getting roboticized in SatAM. I can like or dislike the former, but it has reasons and is justified (aka dealt with properly), but the latter is nothing but a cheap way to shock little impressionable chilren who cannot think for themselves. The difference in substance is quite obvious, the former has it, the latter has not. And don't get me started on embarassing love triangles as a means for creating tension between characters. At least making Tekno go through extreme conditions was a good reason for her to flip, contrasting with (for example, there are more) when Tails and Sonic flipped at one another because of a girl. May I remind you and all of the others, that cheap drama that is done badly both featured in Sonic 06 and Shadow's game, both quite hated across the whole fanbase. If the spinoff is not going to dealt with things properly, then don't bother with them. Make it as light as AOSTH, which had more substance in that Tails' New Home episode that these pretentious spinoffs most of the time.

You don't see the point of introducing death. To be honest, I don't either. I admit, I didn't like Tekno's murder, to me it was too much, it's SONIC after all. And yet it was dealt with properly, which is something I can't say for love triangles and princess drama and guns and whatever else. These were all included just because, with no reasons and they aren't justified either. At least the Tekno murder had valid reasons. And that was my point.

Edited by redmenace
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'd have to agree with redmenace on this. I personally think that the story was a tad much even before the death occurred, but it was at least handled responsibly and wasn't treated with kid gloves. It was handled as a way of building characterization rather than a pretentious way to build depth to the story. STC-O is supposed to be a continuation of Fleetway, which is the most complex and darkest of the official Sonic continuities; so even then it isn't really that out of place so much as I simply didn't like it.

Edited by Tornado

I know it's fan made so I should give it more credit but the inconsistency in styles and storylines really put me off. The storyline could go from lighthearted and silly to deadly serious murder kill in the same issue.

I didn't mind post-SA characters being introduced but forcing them into an already established background story was a little annoying, Shadow being made by Kintobor at the same time as Sonic though conviently never being mentioned before for example.

And since when other Sonic continuities look at each other as a guide. Most of the time they don't follow rules as established by the main cannon to begin with. Why is this hope thing more important than A) a colourful world (SatAM/Underground did not follow), B) Tails being Sonic's second man (SatAM/Undergound did not follow), C) Sonic as a free spirit (SatAM did not follow), D) Eggman as a funny villain (only AOSTH followed)? Every spinoff was adapted their own way and they used what they wanted as they saw fit.

Yes, every continuity is drastically different in their own ways.

But every continuity-even STC- followed at least one basic principle. That Sonic is a hero, and not just a hero, but a beacon of hope showing that no matter how much pain he or the other protagonists go through, there will be light at the end of the tunnel.

I mean, maybe there will be some future issue that redeems the whole Tekno/Shorty scenario and allows the characters to work towards having normal lives again. But as it stands, the story is as I and Phos noted it to be...a long epic leading up to a hopeless downer ending that feels out of place in a Sonic story. Even more out of place given that 250 was about how Sonic and friends inspired the population of the entire planet to rise up against Robotnik.

There's character development, and then there's breaking your protagonists past the point of no return. I don't feel that the latter has a place in any Sonic story.

A world can be fluff and bunnies and still have serious problems to deal with. And this is what happens in the most praised Sonic games, like the classics and their abuse of nature conequences, the good and bad futures of CD, Knuckles' decisions in S3&K, Gamma's story and death in SA or Chip's story in Unleashed. The world in these games isn't overshadowed by these deeper moments, it's still fun, Eggman is still funny and he still constructs funky robots, the setting is still colourful and the story is still simple. STC does this, the world is still funky and simple, while incorporating deep aspects as well. Complete monster Robotnik is a lesser point, but at least it didn't use shades of black, grey and brown as a mean to easily create a serious setting without further substance.

Continuing, STC might be a bit darker in theme than the games and most spinoffs relating to Sonic, that's very true. But they never, ever tryed to overplay them. The Tekno murder is not the most heaviest STC has to offer either. STC didn't pretentiously tried to pass off cheap drama as a serious story, it dealt with these issues properly as they should, which is something I respect and has merit. Johny Lightfoot died and he was someone from the main cast. Compare this death to filler characters, sometimes with no name whatsoever, getting roboticized in SatAM. I can like or dislike the former, but it has reasons and is justified (aka dealt with properly), but the latter is nothing but a cheap way to shock little impressionable chilren who cannot think for themselves. The difference in substance is quite obvious, the former has it, the latter has not. And don't get me started on embarassing love triangles as a means for creating tension between characters. At least making Tekno go through extreme conditions was a good reason for her to flip, contrasting with (for example, there are more) when Tails and Sonic flipped at one another because of a girl. May I remind you and all of the others, that cheap drama that is done badly both featured in Sonic 06 and Shadow's game, both quite hated across the whole fanbase. If the spinoff is not going to dealt with things properly, then don't bother with them. Make it as light as AOSTH, which had more substance in that Tails' New Home episode that these pretentious spinoffs most of the time.

You don't see the point of introducing death. To be honest, I don't either. I admit, I didn't like Tekno's murder, to me it was too much, it's SONIC after all. And yet it was dealt with properly, which is something I can't say for love triangles and princess drama and guns and whatever else. These were all included just because, with no reasons and they aren't justified either. At least the Tekno murder had valid reasons. And that was my point.

Red, look...I never said anything about love triangles. Or Archie. And I never said that there shouldn't be death or tragedy in Sonic. I'm not trying to be disrespectful, I'm just trying to clarify what I meant to say.

What I meant is that when you bring death and tragedy into Sonic, there should be some way that the heroes can bring hope or meaning out of it.

I know that the Tekno murder had a lot of issues leading up to it, ones that logically justified it. What I'm saying is that, at least in my opinion, the ideas itself is still bad, because there is nothing meaningful to be drawn from it. There does not to appear to be a point to having Tekno become a psychopath, or for Shorty's self-esteem to be tossed out the window, other than to show that the universe really, really hates Tekno and Shorty.

Let me put it this way. Tails becomes a serial killer wearing a burlap sack over his face, calling himself "The Tails Doll." There were seven strips written and drawn to justify this change. Does that make the change to the character appropriate?

Red, look...I never said anything about love triangles. Or Archie. And I never said that there shouldn't be death or tragedy in Sonic. I'm not trying to be disrespectful, I'm just trying to clarify what I meant to say.

What I meant is that when you bring death and tragedy into Sonic, there should be some way that the heroes can bring hope or meaning out of it.

I know that the Tekno murder had a lot of issues leading up to it, ones that logically justified it. What I'm saying is that, at least in my opinion, the ideas itself is still bad, because there is nothing meaningful to be drawn from it. There does not to appear to be a point to having Tekno become a psychopath, or for Shorty's self-esteem to be tossed out the window, other than to show that the universe really, really hates Tekno and Shorty.

Let me put it this way. Tails becomes a serial killer wearing a burlap sack over his face, calling himself "The Tails Doll." There were seven strips written and drawn to justify this change. Does that make the change to the character appropriate?

You still not get it. When I mentioned the other spinoffs was to show there's a difference between cheap drama and substance. STC never overplayed the darker themes, it always (bar some exceptions), handled things not superficially when it was needed. If things are dark, they are dark, they're not something fluffy and pink wrapped in a blood red and black wrapping paper.

You must not be familiar with STC. There was hope after Johny died, the Freedom Fighters moped for awhile, but eventually learned from it and moved on, which is actually, quite meaningfull. I'm sure there will be hope after this murder as well. Maybe the meaning will be that even good people can act like monsters if pushed hard enough. She is not beyond the point of no return nor does she have no hope. Seth was a complete monster and a hero killed him. Also, do you know what will happen to Tekno or the consequences of her acts in the future? You don't, so why say they have no meaning whatsoever when you don't know if it's true?

The Tails example is ridiculous. First, you're understimating what months of repression does to one person as something done randomly in seven strips, which could all have been done with no substance or unrelated, which is not the case. Second, you forget she was insane at that point, a thing that was reinforced more than once. Third, you also forget that both Tekno and Seth were fighting, and the killing was the culmination of said fighting. Fourth, you forget that Tekno was not a full blown hero since the beginning, she's someone which worked under Robotnik at one point, and thought it was against her will, she's still allowed to do grey behaviour that Tails, a hero never put in that kind of situation, is not.

You still not get it. When I mentioned the other spinoffs was to show there's a difference between cheap drama and substance. STC never overplayed the darker themes, it always (bar some exceptions), handled things not superficially when it was needed. If things are dark, they are dark, they're not something fluffy and pink wrapped in a blood red and black wrapping paper.

You must not be familiar with STC. There was hope after Johny died, the Freedom Fighters moped for awhile, but eventually learned from it and moved on, which is actually, quite meaningfull. I'm sure there will be hope after this murder as well. Maybe the meaning will be that even good people can act like monsters if pushed hard enough. She is not beyond the point of no return nor does she have no hope. Seth was a complete monster and a hero killed him. Also, do you know what will happen to Tekno or the consequences of her acts in the future? You don't, so why say they have no meaning whatsoever when you don't know if it's true?

I suppose it's my own fault for being vague, but I wasn't actually referring tho the original, pre-online STC when I speaking about over-the-top darkness. I actually agree with you about the original STC making sure that hope and meaning came out of the dark moments, even, as you noted, Johnny's death.

And while I agree that further developments could redeem the ending of the story by developing the characters further, I'm only judging Tekno as she appears at the end of the story, since I naturally can't see into the future or read the authors' minds. However bad Set was, I can't see her as anything but unstable and dangerous with the information I have.

The Tails example is ridiculous. First, you're understimating what months of repression does to one person as something done randomly in seven strips, which could all have been done with no substance or unrelated, which is not the case. Second, you forget she was insane at that point, a thing that was reinforced more than once. Third, you also forget that both Tekno and Seth were fighting, and the killing was the culmination of said fighting. Fourth, you forget that Tekno was not a full blown hero since the beginning, she's someone which worked under Robotnik at one point, and thought it was against her will, she's still allowed to do grey behaviour that Tails, a hero never put in that kind of situation, is not.

I was not asking if it would be okay if Tails just became a darker character overnight. I was asking if it would be all right if Tails, like Techno, were slowly developed over a long period of time into a dark, insane character.

I probably haven't been clear about it, and if I have not, I apologize, but I don't mean to show contempt towards you for liking the story. You have every right to enjoy it, I just wanted to explain why it bugged me personally, even if my methods were perhaps over the top.

Edited by BlazeyBakeneko