Awoo.

Sonic The Comic - Online!

The Stiv™

So Johnny... knew he was going to die, yet never fought it? Wow, that guy suddenly is probably the most courageous of the original heroes. I'm guessing Sonic thought it was a dream or just forgot about it, and Johnny took care never to jog his memory.

I do like how it was to show how much Sonic's matured. He's not quite the arrogant, reckless douche he was before, even if he hasn't gone into game Sonic levels of nice.

I knew the package was going to be something mundane right from the start, but it was a nice touch regardless that Tails got him a cake.

I was also reminded of the Fleetway's bizarre continual reincarnation thing Knuckles has going on. That was a really good twist that the Gizoid refers to the Guardian himself, and not that robot he fought.

The timeline updated! A reference to Sonic's attitude is given, and we're now up to Sonic getting out of the Special Zone after having been trapped there by Robotnik.

I already made a post for this in the Archie thread because yes.

• 2 months later...

Ok, so dont have much to say, just thought I would bump this up because its gotten kinda buried, guess there hasnt been too much news

Why did STC end? I've been hearing different things about it

Why did STC end? I've been hearing different things about it

I too was wondering the same. I personally have never read any of STC, but am an avid reader of the Archie series. Was thinking about trying STC out also. Suggestions?

Fleetway started replacing stories with reprints. Sales started dropping slightly, not necessarily for the same resaon.

Fleetway decides that since readership renovates every 5 years (IE every 5 years the readership collectively says "I'm too old for this" and a bunch of new readers come), they'll stop making new stories altogether and save money by going full reprint.

Eventually sales dropped so much it was cancelled.

What Harlock says is accurate. Fleetway had a pessimistic view of its readership's ability to remember details and so they got what they deserved. It really is weird they didn't just do what Archie does and make both separate reprints and new stories... though I'm unsure whether it was money issues, or just complete idiocy on the part of their management.

Shame about the comic itself, though... I'm actually really surprised that, as popular as Sonic is in the UK, the comic hasn't been picked up by a new company. You'd think that, given fans have kept the comic going for over a decade, some industry moguls would notice there's potential for profit in the books.

Though SEGA's backing of that physical print of STCO at this year's Summer of Sonic is that slightest bit of hope... Reminds me of how a year or two ago cease and desists were handed out to some places that have digital copies of all of the original STC books... made people suspect that maybe a different company was going to relaunch the books. Shame that didn't come to fruition, though!

Makes me wonder what would happen to STCO if STC actually was picked up for an official continuation, actually.

Welp, it's been 2 months, and we haven't had another issue? So what's up? I know it's fan work and stuff, but they do they they'll release bi-monthly.

What's happening is that it's fan-made. This can't be stressed enough, especially in terms of deadlines. All it takes is for the artist to take longer for everything to go into disarray.

They're aiming for 4-6 issues per year, which is probably already the fastest schedule they've had in a decade

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed, I was surprised at how small the gap between the last two issues was. There's a great flux between it all, certainly.

A large part of it, I think, is the fact that there's a commitment to publishing arcs as issues. With four arcs an issue, it only takes a delay on one artist's part to slow the entire update process down. It has actually been suggested STCO abandon the issue format entirely and make full use of its status as an online medium; I imagine this would take the form of arcs being published separately rather than as one whole.

Though overall it comes down to the fact it's all for free. Had I the resources I'd gladly pay to get the comic on a more stable schedule.

Guess that's one more goal for the Sonic Social Fund. ;)

As others have said, STCO is done in the creators' spare time, for free. That's why it's irregular. However, these days they have been doing really well with regards to releases.

I'd quite like to see the good version of Super Sonic appear (basically, his game counterpart).

There was a good Super Sonic for a short time. Theoretically he would come back if Super Sonic was somehow separated from Sonic and hit with an EMP; that's what created the good one last time. Science!

As for a good Super form... I don't think such is possible. If I recall, the energy of the Chaos Emeralds is polluted with evil thanks to Kintobor's efforts (hence why his exposure turned him into Robotnik), so it'd be impossible to really use them for good.

If ovi was able to find the gray chaos emerald from the start would that have changed anything?

If we were to run with the Dragon Ball Z comparisons, I'd say Sonic the Comic differs from the other continuities simply because of how the Emeralds are depicted; in most Sonic canon they are the perfect Deus Ex Machina, much like the Dragon Balls. StC's emeralds are more analogous to the Black Star Dragon Balls from GT; they have enormous power but there's enormous cost for using them due to the negativity.

And that, I think, is one of the best recurring themes of StC - Sonic could use the power of the emeralds and vanquish Robotnik in a heartbeat, but it would do more harm than good as he'd lose his mind. Super Sonic singlehandedly destroyed Robotnik's empire simply by charging up a large energy blast... and while he did lose power and memory rapidly after that, the idea is still there... it's a dark, tempting power, but Sonic must resist the easy way out.

Let's contrast this to the more tragic existence the good Super Sonic had. Whereas Sonic has powers beyond Chaos abilities, the good Super is utterly helpless to assist people without using his powers; like a true hero, however, he was gladly willing to throw away his sanity if it meant saving lives.

On that note let's shift to criticism. While it was done in a more clever way, the Emeralds still remained a Deus Ex Machina; every time Sonic was about to be killed he'd suddenly turn gold and crack open a can of whoopass. The good news is that the other characters would then have their issue shifting to controlling the fallout of that situation. So it's not a "bad guy's too strong, let's go Super Saiyan and save the day" situation like the games have a horrible habit of developing.

The real gravity of the situation being, whether he's the kind, gentle version or destructive, crazy one, Super Sonic is still the real hero with how many times he's (if only so he could try and destroy it himself) saved the world where Sonic's been unable. On the other hand one can construe this as a positive development of Sonic's character; he is just as weak and capable of losing as everyone else, and while his extreme power is convenient... it is not desirable by any stretch of the imagination.

Edited by Boss Ogilvie

Hm...I'm hoping to see the return of Super Sonic soon (but I'd like to see his look a little closer to the games, even if the personality isn't). What I meant was, there could still be an evil Super Sonic called upon in times of stress, but there could also be a good Sonic when the power of the Emeralds is tapped into properly.

On the Super Sonic issue: I used to frequent the chatroom the editors and writers hang out in.

Verdict on a good Super Sonic?

You won't be seeing him barring maybe in memories of Ebony's. I assume if the STCO team ever wish to add some depth to why she's a lunatic now.

Considering that story with Ebony and the vial recently (in Sonic the Comic terms of recent, anyway), I wouldn't be surprised if evil Super and lunatic Ebony came hand-in-hand.

Considering that story with Ebony and the vial recently (in Sonic the Comic terms of recent, anyway), I wouldn't be surprised if evil Super and lunatic Ebony came hand-in-hand.

In all likelihood. Her logic is just "Oh, Sonic's here. Let's turn him Super! What could possibly go wrong!"

Ebony's increasingly a "too dumb to live" type of character. I understand she's a magician, but you'd think she'd be able to demonstrate enough scientific reasoning to understand you can't just make Super Sonic suddenly a good being.

It'd probably help if she was aware he didn't just suddenly turn over a new leaf, so much as he expended so much of his power he created an EMP and this caused his memories and power to rapidly deplete, leaving him a blank slate that was docile and timid.

But no, rather than do research, she's content to just keep trying the same failed tactics over and over... if any of the STCO characters need to have some sense smacked into them, it's definitely her. Maybe her trial will help in that regard.

Then again when Super first gained hold of his memories and insisted on not using his power specifically to stave off "the Demon," Ebony was encouraging him to make use of them... so it's obvious she can't make the connection that Chaos energy isn't something you want to tap into. It tends to make you coocoo.

Edited by Boss Ogilvie

Wow the first issue of STCO that ive actually enjoyed in a while. Nice work you guys