Awoo.

Sonic The Comic - Online!

The Stiv™

I figured that was what was going to happen. Poor Silver always looking before he leaps and assuming he knows the right course of action... he didn't get the memo that Sonic goes Super by default when you try to kill him. His mistake!

Of course, the question of how Super manages to acquire a permanent power supply remains...

Makes me ponder if the semi-sane Robotnik is feigning a desire to rule the world just so he can get Super in his grasp long enough to feed him the Chaos Emeralds and keep the state permanent. Chaos could be stopped by Super Sonic, but what can stop Super Sonic himself...? Without the Gray Emerald nothing can beat a fully charged Super...

Good to see the red eyes have been kept. It's a nice stylisation choice... and I wonder if it has any meaning or if it's just an artistic liberty.

Edited by Boss Ogilvie

What Adamis said. The StC tradition is to only loosely adopt the game elements and the STCO team has done a good job of continuing such.

Meanwhile, I continue to ponder the eye color choice... between that and the Lancelot/Galahad thing from Black Knight it seems to give great ammo to the idea Silver's related to Shadow in some way. ...I'll also say the red eye look makes him look rather badass.

From a biological perspective I could assume Silver's an albino in the StC universe; they tend to have red eyes due to their blood vessels showing through due to lack of iris pigmentation.

For those unaware, basically Knuckles had a slightly different design in StC due to bad references available, and it stuck. Later, Chaos had a wildly different design, for the same reasons. From there, the StC-O team tried to keep the tradition by always drawing SEGASonic characters slightly different in some way- in this case Silver's made a full-on albino.

• Thumbs Up 1

Makes sense, I suppose. Just one of those little StC traditions at work...

Plus Silver looks like, a million times cooler with the red eyes, I think. Vampiric almost, I'd say. Shame his aura isn't red, too!

I can only imagine what the Deadly Six will look like when they're adapted a few years down the line...

• 3 weeks later...
For those unaware, basically Knuckles had a slightly different design in StC due to bad references available, and it stuck. Later, Chaos had a wildly different design, for the same reasons. From there, the StC-O team tried to keep the tradition by always drawing SEGASonic characters slightly different in some way- in this case Silver's made a full-on albino.
That's not the reason why Chaos looked different.

Eh, while I don't mind Robotnik's design, I'd much prefer it if the comic tried to match the designs. That's just me, though...

That's not the reason why Chaos looked different.

What was, then? As far as I recall from the StC Mailing list, they only recieved a blurry jpeg of Chaos Zero as reference, so they just did their own thing.

There was plenty of adequate reference material - but it didn't fit the direction they were taking the character.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh, while I don't mind Robotnik's design, I'd much prefer it if the comic tried to match the designs. That's just me, though...

Well the first Robotnik was the one from the Classic era games, the second was the AoSTH Robotnik and the third was based on Sonic Adventure's Robotnik but with his AoSTH proportions. So yeah, all of them were based on commonly used Robotnik designs from the 90s and early 2000s. tongue.png

Also I don't know much about the Chaos arc but he still looks like a water creature with a bunch of Chaos Emeralds embedded in his body. I don't see the issue here, but then again I am biased! tongue.png

Edited by MamboCat

I always thought it was neat how STC didn't copy/paste designs. The whole spirit of the comic in both its writing and artstyle is it is not the same as the games or cartoons. Sonic's a douchebag, Super Sonic's evil, Robotnik used to be Sonic's best friend, to name a few. If the writing is different why not the artstyle too?

Contrast to Archie, which much more closely adapts each character. For example, Shadow in STC was a weapon originally proposed by the Drakon but never finished, while in STH he was built by Gerald ultimately for peaceful purposes but with the aid of the Black Arms, just like in the games. I think the loosest adaption Archie's had was with Silver; in both cases some artistic liberty was taken with both Archie and Fleetway's interpretations, though STC went one step further and changed Silver's design some.

• 4 weeks later...

this is something ive been thinking about for a while: If STC was still running especially with SEGA getting heavily involved like how they are with Archie how would that be like now?

this is something ive been thinking about for a while: If STC was still running especially with SEGA getting heavily involved like how they are with Archie how would that be like now?

Considering the liberties STC took with the source material, Sega would likely make them start over from the very beginning. Although I don't think the Boomers would be too happy about that...

• Thumbs Up 1

An exact clone of he games.

Edited by TheFatPanda

Considering the liberties STC took with the source material, Sega would likely make them start over from the very beginning. Although I don't think the Boomers would be too happy about that...

More or less this.

SEGA's far too controlling these days, and that's a huge part of the reason Sonic's in the gutter, I think. The decline seems to have more or less taken off after SEGA Japan (which has recorded issues of inadequacy towards its western counterparts) started centralizing control and demanding uniformity. Prior to that we had several continuities; what some see as chaos was actually diversity, which anyone with any knowledge of genetics, investments, or the like can tell you is a great way to keep a brand strong.

Super Sonic being evil would never fly. Characters who aren't divinely-ordained by the Japanese team wouldn't fly. The list goes on.

I hope Sonic the Comic comes back in some form some day, but hopefully by that time SEGA Japan has been removed from the equation so that all the various game designers, comic writers, and cartoon teams can innovate rather than being strangled.

Actually it used a lot of material from the games; it just interpreted it in a different way. smile.png But it is an interesting question. By the time the Chaos Arc was around, Robotnik had started wearing Eggman's uniform, Grimer had absconded, Tikal and the other echidnas had made an appearance, Amy had her dreads on as opposed to her mohawk... so things were changing towards Sega's design, at least.

Also, did anyone notice the Halloween Special of STCO? biggrin.png

*coughwallpapersbymecough* tongue.png

Super Sonic being evil would never fly.

No flying, huh? What about eye lasers? tongue.pngbiggrin.png

Edited by MamboCat
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Halloween special was a nice little appetiser to tide me over until the next full issue; the idea of having smaller, more compact specials is a really good idea overall! (Heck, if it were up to me, I'd replace the issue system entirely with smaller installments of individual arcs, but that would kill the nostalgia of a full issue I suppose. tongue.png)

Wonderful wallpapers, too! I still remember the Halloween wallpapers from last year fondly; if I'm not mistaken the Super's Rise one was initially part of that group before being removed for confidential reasons. Darn shame, it was so pretty. sad.png

...The centralisation of the brand had nothing to do with the state of the franchise.

Considering SEGA Japan has established they don't know what to do with the franchise whereas Sega Europe and SEGA America have done the opposite, I think it does.

But I digress. This isn't the topic for this.

Edited by Ogilvie

Ogilvie, if anything the centralization of the franchise both gave it its boost needed in 1999 and is now revitalizing the Archie comic.

I also doubt they'd force StC to reboot, considering Archie deviated further away from the games than StC ever did and yet they only ended up rebooting due to Penders.

I doubt that it would of been rebooted I think that the only things that would change are the character designs so it can be more SEGA like and the way certain characters act will be a little bit toned down to be like their game conterpart (ie tails would be intelligent, Amy would use her hammer)

Seems no one's shared these yet, but New to Sonic the Comic? updated today with six new panels!

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

I really appreciate the dedication and work done on this side project; I think it will go a long way towards helping new readers get into the comics in absence of reprints. Since there are now TWO fan continuations of Sonic the Comic, I think this is more important than ever.

In even better news, my pet plot element from StC will be covered soon, so gleee. biggrin.png

Scuse me good sir, did you say there are two fan continuations of Sonic the Comic? Pray tell what's this other continuation you speak of?