Awoo.

The Amazing Spider-Man (The Movies)

goku262002

Yeah some other users on corrected me on this after I praised the new Spider-man for making jokes. Spidey did actually happen to make jokes in Raimis version but scarcely.

I like how the lizard looks. He reminds me of a monster from a horror film as well as Ditko's rendition of him.

I'm actually fine for the most part with the design of The Lizard, especially since Lizards appearance seems to often vary. My only real beef is that he isn't sporting his iconic torn lab coat.

And here are a few images from the films viral promotion. The rest can be viewed here: http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/169549-the-amazing-spider-man-viral-hunt-begins

Sxahi.jpg

iCmMm.jpg

KoJ4F.jpg

exp3o.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

I still can't really get behind anything I've seen of this, it still looks like Twilight: Web of Spider-Man.

wut

Nothing in this fucking movie looks emo or Twilight, for the last fucking time.

Hell the complete Raimi trilogy was more emo than the entirety of the new trailer.

I still can't really get behind anything I've seen of this, it still looks like Twilight: Web of Spider-Man.

I don't get it.

Why? Because it has a younger representative cast? I'm sorry, but Spider-man was the original kid superhero so even though Garfield is 28 and looks like he is a teen(Although Macquire was 27 when he was cast and he looked like he was 27), he is supposed to live a life of a normal high school teenager. In other words, it wouldn't be Spider-man if he wasn't a kid first. Miles Morales shown this. Ultimate Spider-man perfected it. Spectacular Spider-man displayed the perfection.

Because there is romance? I, again, apologize, but what do you think this is? Batman? Spider-man is one of the few superheroes who have something resembling a normal romance life. Spider-man without romance isn't Spider-man at all. Spider-man isn't some brooding,chastened superhero who is too afraid to fall in love with another individual because he is too caught up in his super hero life to look for women. That is something that I loved about him. There is someone with a true life underneath that mask. Unlike Batman, everybody understands Peter because there is a life underneath that mask. No one gives a shit about Bruce Wayne. Hell, Bruce Wayne doesn't give a shit about Bruce Wayne because he completely dissociates himself from who he feels he really is, Batman. Spider-man/Peter Parker is completely different. He loves in and out the mask. He wants to marry and have a family and in the comic universe, has.

What makes Spider-man's romantic life anything but Twilight, isn't because he gets pretty girls and it becomes some drawn out shallow romance, but how they interact with him in his alias as Spider-man. Gwen Stacey has a dad that hates Spider-man and she begins to hate him herself as she thought Spider-man killed her dad. Black Cat loved Spider-man and constantly asks him to ditch the mundane life as Peter Parker. Mary Jane Watson who pretty much exemplified everything that had to do with a normal romantic life as possible since she not only supported everything Peter was doing, but was completely devoted to him and wished that he would stop being Peter Parker so damn much. All of this "romance," is affected by the duality of him being both Peter Parker and Spider-man which is completely necessary to show. And I love how they started with Gwen Stacey instead of Mary Jane, again, showing that if there is a sequel which there probably will be, we will get some actual tangible scenes involving love and lost unlike the Raimi movies where they casted Mary Jane as a frigid bitch(RAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and really did nothing to convey anything real about the romance, upside down kiss be damned.

And finally, Twilight will never have moments when two teenagers are wondering if they should have sex with each other and then decide to put off until marriage that doesn't feel forced and convey the message that having sex before marriage is wrong like so.

scan00321.jpg

scan00331.jpg

So if there isn't romance in Spider-man, it ain't Spider-man. So I expect teenage romance in my Spider-man movie.

Edited by turbojet
  • Thumbs Up 7

Please don't compare this Spider-Man film to Twilight. Despite them saying they were trying to appeal to the Twilight audience when it was first announced, it really doesn't look anything like Twilight.

It looks like a deconstruction of the Superhero genre in which the main character deals with everyday [problems such as bills, romance, family and friends while also dealing with the irresponsibility of being a super hero. You know, like the ASM comic, Utimate comics, Raimi trilogy, the ninties Spider-Man cartoon, the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon and pretty much any version of Spiderman was, except doing it in it's own way.

Also what turbojet said. It's not Spider-Man without regular life stuff like romance.

Edited by PeanutButterDimond

Elaborate for gods sake. Why does it look like Twilight? What makes it look like Twilight?

Edited by Balding Spider

scan00321.jpg

scan00331.jpg

So if there isn't romance in Spider-man, it ain't Spider-man. So I expect teenage romance in my Spider-man movie.

To be honest...My brain exploded when I read that strip.

I MUST GET BACK INTO SPIDER-MAN comics!

I wonder if Mary Jane will show up and who will play her. Not many girls can be the original fun personified Party Girl.

Looks great, makes me wonder about all the different story arcs in the comics, this movie seems to have a more cynical spiderman, I like that.

What a stupid scene to show off. It's like the Bruce Campbell cameos from the original trilogy, but not awesome.

This movie looks great! It looks much more faithful to the comics and Andrew Garfield fits Peter really well. Looks waaaaaaay better than the Raimi trilogy, in my opinion. Can't wait to see it.

Edited by Spider-Man Noir

The problems with the Raimi movies that I hope this new series redeems:

-Mary Jane Watson. You cannot fuck her up like the Raimi movies. Mary Jane had a troubling life just like the first Spider-man movie, but Peter never knew about it. She needs to be shown as the kindred spirit who uses the image as the party girl to hide behind it because she is afraid of the hell that is her life and knew Peter Parker was Spider-man(she saw him creep out the window to avenge Uncle Ben's murder) at the beginning before Peter knew that she knew he was Spider-man. They also need to show her admiration for Spider-man not because of his heroics, but his perceived free-spirit and the fact that he hides behind a mask(a trait that she felt both Spider-man and herself shared). Do not turn her jealous of Peter getting the much earned acclaim where she isn't. That was fucked up.

-Show more of Peter Parker. I mean show more of Peter Parker, the character and the human being. The problem with Tobey was that he made Parker bland as fuck.

-Harry Osborn needs to be on drugs.

• Thumbs Up 2

I actually quite liked that clip. It's a pretty inconsequential thing to show off, yeah, but it works. I definitely like Andrew Garfield much better as Peter than Tobey.

Bruce Campbell was beast in Spider-Man, he deserves a role in this.

Anyways, I bet Mary Jane's going to be in the ending or something. "Face it tiger, you've hit the JACKPOT!"

Fun fact, John Scurti AKA: The Doorman and Denis Leary AKA: Captain George Stacy worked together on a long running show on FX called Rescue Me.

What a stupid scene to show off. It's like the Bruce Campbell cameos from the original trilogy, but not awesome.

They probably showed it off to show the skeptics that the movie isn't aiming to be "Spider-man begins."

Edited by Balding Spider

Well some people are already complaining about Andrew's acting from a forty second clip. Wonderful.

I really liked Andrew's acting in that scene, personally. He was very socially awkward. I hope that the scene isn't in the film though since I think the whole "Your Doorman's intimidating" line would work better as a joke off the top of Peter's head rather than be true.

Anyway, there's been some stuff that's been bugging me about people's complaints about The Lizard. Now, don't get me wrong, I respect people's opinions but there's some stuff bugging that I'm going to rant a bit about.

Rant Time Yay: Complaints of a lack of a snout

Lizard_comparison.gif

Now, I really don't understand the big love for the snout. I mean, yeah, it's The Lizard's more common look but it wouldn't really add anything. You could say it would make him more intimidating but from the trailer he already seems intimidating. I mean, he's nine feet tall and looks really strong. He gives off an intimidating vibe already, in my opinion.

WELhb.gif

RxXzo.gif

(I love the detail of the Lizard's foot in the second one. It's twitching a little!)

Now personally I think the snout would take something very important away and that is the ability to speak and show emotion. One thing both Marc and Rhys seem really excited about is the motion capture that will make Rhys's performance come through the lizard. This is essential considering the whole Jekyll and Hyde duality of the Lizard. I feel that it's important for the Lizard to show emotion and be expressive so it can be shown that in that evil monster, there is a good man. Also it would be difficult to speak with a snout. It's not a problem in comics and cartoons but in film, it would look silly.

Rant Time yay Two: Complaints of the lack of clothes

The Lizard in this film seems to not have any clothes whatsoever. Some people take issue with this because the lab coat and pants are pretty iconic for the character but I feel it's a pretty insignificant thing to be upset over. While the lab coat and pants do come to mind when thinking of the Lizard they are hardly essential and to be honest it wouldn't make sense.

the-lizard-in-the-amazing-spider-man-2012.jpg

By that I mean, the Lizard is nine feet tall in this film. I know it's silly to be saying something would be too unrealistic for a superhero film but honestly, a regular sized man is going to lose his clothes after turning in to a nine foot tall Lizard, not too mention it would probably look a little goofy to see a nine foot tall Lizard in a lab coat and pants. But maybe that's just me. I just don't see it as anything important.

Rant Time Yay Over

I just wanted to vent some of my thoughts. But to each their own.

Oh and I love this pose in the trailer.

screen20120207184243.jpg

ultimatespidermansmp.jpg

It's a nice reference to the comics.

• Thumbs Up 8