Awoo.

The Amazing Spider-Man (The Movies)

goku262002

Sufficiently excited. I think I'm relatively confident this could be half decent from the recent trailers, so I'll be watching come release date. 

I actually don't think this looks bad at all. Spiderman 3 had way more problems than just the villains. Stiff acting, crappy storyline, incorrectly handled drama, etc...

I actually don't think this looks bad at all. Spiderman 3 had way more problems than just the villains. Stiff acting, crappy storyline, incorrectly handled drama, etc...

Emo Peter Parker

It's true that Spiderman 3's problems lie in the story, some of the acting and those God awful cheesy dance scenes with Emo Peter. Seriously did Sam Raimi leave his brain at the FUBAR convention or something when he made that film?

Anyway it's not just those things. The way the villains were handled wasn't too great either. Not only were there too many, but some of them had no importance to the plot nor enough screentime. Venom, my favourite villain EVAR was only given about 10 minutes screentime which pissed me off.

There are three villains in this film too and apparently Electro is the main villain. I even heard say that Rhino will only be in this for 4 minutes! How does everyone know this won't fall flat on its face either? I know the director said they want to do what Spiderman 3 couldn't do, but can we trust them? I dunno, I'm still skeptical.

There are three villains in this film too and apparently Electro is the main villain. I even heard say that Rhino will only be in this for 4 minutes! How does everyone know this won't fall flat on its face either? I know the director said they want to do what Spiderman 3 couldn't do, but can we trust them? I dunno, I'm still skeptical.

See, this is a complaint I don't understand. Having a "villain" character doesn't mean he will be a prominent antagonist, just a character in the same vein as MJ or Aunt May. Think about Spider-Man 2. It technically had Doc Octopus, Lizard, Hob-Goblin, and Green Goblin, but most were simply background characters.

Another example is the Scarecrow in The Dark Knight; just one scene at the beggining, which is evidently what they will be doing with Rhino. This is a great way to start a super hero movie; it gets you into the action and shows the hero has been facing enemies beyond the main antagonists of each movie.

The point being that pacing is everything. Spider-Man 3 did poorly because its execution was jarring to the viewer. It tried to give origin stories to each one and give equal screentime to everyone. With that in mind, giving Rhino a few minutes only and Goblin just at the end is a good thing; it gives a defined role for each character and keeps the focus on the main villain, Electro. Think of it like this - if Spider-Man 3 had used Sandman for the opening, Venom as the prominent antagonist and Hobgoblin as the sequel hook, it wouldn't have been as bad.
It doesn't make sense to put all movies with multiple villains in the same cathegory, until you see exactly how they are portrayed. At this point we can't say for sure how its going to be either way, but I feel putting down the movie so soon is quite preposterous. We have to look at the big picture.
  • Thumbs Up 3

Marc Webb made one of my favorite movies ever so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder if the writers might be "clever" and pull a ruse on us so that the big twist is that Harry is truly Norman Osborn who's obtained the means to curing his illness and attaining some form of "higher being" (or maybe even youth) as the first film hinted that he was striving to attain.

Apperently press got an early look at the first 15 minutes in 3-D, and apperently things may be looking up

http://screenrant.com/amazing-spider-man-2-preview-visual-effects-soundtrack/

oh and spoiler free

‘Amazing Spider-Man 2′ Footage Review: Time to Raise Your Expectations

Published by Kofi Outlaw

The-Amazing-Spider-Man-2-Previews-Traile

A special Amazing Spider-Man 2 extended preview event was held for NYC film journalists today, and coordination with the release of a brand-new Amazing Spider-Man 2 trailer (which you can watch below). In addition to the new 3D trailer, we were treated to additional 3D footage from the film – including the first 15 minutes, which revealed quite a bit about how this sequel will very different from its predecessor.

Below you’ll find a general, SPOILER-FREE impression of the footage that screened, and what is in store for both fans, casual moviegoers and those not-yet-converted naysayers, once Amazing Spider-Man 2 hits theaters on May 2nd. For those who want the full breakdown of what we saw and learned about ASM2, STAY TUNED. We’ll update this post was a second page, explaining the footage in all it’s spoiler glory.

-

Footage Review (Spoiler-Free)

amazing-spider-man-2-trailer3.jpg

LET’S BE CLEAR: This is the most advanced and visually accomplished Spider-Man film to date, there’s no denying it – and it looks pretty amazing in 3D (no pun). Anyone who watched previous Amazing Spider-Man 2 trailers and thought that it looked cartoony, or like a video game, or that the suit didn’t look right – have no fear. Fully rendered, in 3D, this CGI Spidey holds up better than ever – down to the immaculately rendered creases of his uniform, which flap in the wind with convincing realism. He moves, fights and banters like the Ultimate Spider-Man comic book character truly come to fluid life – though that last part can be attributed to the sharp wit of actor Andrew Garfield behind the mask.

It’s almost like director Marc Webb (who was in attendance for a Q&A) took every criticism of the first film to heart and went into this film determined to best his critics. By his own admission, Batman Begins realism maybe wasn’t the best approach for Amazing Spider-Man, and embracing the fantastical about the character has allowed him to do things technically and cinematically that are wild and effective in creating some impressive comic book action sequences. He also brings back some of the more artistic flourishes that DID work in the first film: namely that first-person perspective moments of web-slinging that make 3D totally worthwhile.

The-Amazing-Spider-Man-2-Truck-Heist-Seq

Some Classic Spidey Slapstick

We saw one major set piece (a previously released Times Square clip, now played out in full) and a few minor ones – and all of the sequences were impressive in their total comprehension of the Spider-Man character. Webb even incorporates visual gags you might expect from the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon series, without going all Joel Schumacher campy.

We only got a small dose of the slapstick Spidey humor, but it was needed; this is definitely a darker and more serious Spider-Man film than we’ve ever seen. Right from the opening sequence, a clear larger narrative and universe is driving things – and on the whole, this feels like a more confident and prepared sophomore effort from Webb and Co., clearly wanting to outdo some their freshman failings. The story that was revealed was also more streamlined and focused than the first movie – it’s going to have a lot of moving parts, but there seems to be a solid command of things and an understanding of what works and what doesn’t.

Gwen-and-Peter-in-The-Amazing-Spider-Man

One thing that still works is the chemistry between Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone as the principal leads. We got to see a scene with them and it’s pretty much as adorable as ever, with both actors (real life offscreen couple) now settled into the iconic roles, having (largely) proven themselves the first go-around. Garfield is definitely Spider-Man now, if there was any doubt; from the physicality to the attitude he is Peter Parker, and a lot of the NYC hipster stuff seems to have been toned down in favor of just nailing the character.

As for the villains: Paul Giamatti hams it up good, and Dane DeHaan’s Harry Osborn (only briefly teased) will seemingly deliver something worthwhile – but for all the controversy, it’s Jamie Foxx’s Electro who is the most surprisingly effective. Starting as a slightly unhinged engineer and devolving into a frazzled (no pun) freak with ego issues, movie Electro is probably the most intriguing, powerful (and scary) version of the character we’ve seen yet. The changes to canon seem to be worth it, in this case. A battle between Spider-Man and Electro is pretty epic to behold – as are Electro’s powers in general.

The-Amazing-Spider-Man-2-Electro-Times-S

Finally, the soundtrack: Hans Zimmer (The Dark Knight Trilogy) rounded up Pharrell Williams, Johnny Marr from The Smiths and others to create something very unique in terms of a blockbuster superhero movie soundtrack. It’s probably going to be slightly contentious amongst viewers, but it is interesting. Elements of the soundtrack are used to reflect a character’s inner monologue, for instance. Interesting stuff indeed…

VERDICT: Amazing Spider-Man 2 is definitely a contender standing on level with those other big comic book movies coming out in 2014. The marketing may have cemented a low expectation in mind, but the actual product is (yep, going for it) pretty amazing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hopefully they've given the CGI a good touch-up.

The review says they have, and the spoiler one gives the impression that of the 90% of the trailer footage we saw, its in the first 15 minutes, so theres still plently to go on

I saw the new one I didn't like Andrew Garfield as Spiderman the movie was ok i'm glad The Lizard got some recognition because he isn't really a big character anymore but obviously the original trilogy are the best movies I think Toby Maguire is the best Spiderman always was always will I want to see the new one The Amazing Spiderman 2 with Electro even though I hate his new design and I heard The Rhino is going to be in it (I hope his first appearance goes up in price because I own it) so I can't wait to see that. And yeah let me know if you agree probably alot of people will and also I didn't like how Spiderman has yellow eyes in the new movie I know if the sunset shines on the special lenses he created (he can see out but no one can see in and recognize him by his eyes) then it would make them yellow but they are like that always I think they should always be white.

See, this is a complaint I don't understand. Having a "villain" character doesn't mean he will be a prominent antagonist, just a character in the same vein as MJ or Aunt May. Think about Spider-Man 2. It technically had Doc Octopus, Lizard, Hob-Goblin, and Green Goblin, but most were simply background characters.

Another example is the Scarecrow in The Dark Knight; just one scene at the beggining, which is evidently what they will be doing with Rhino. This is a great way to start a super hero movie; it gets you into the action and shows the hero has been facing enemies beyond the main antagonists of each movie.

Can't help but disagree with this.

Though like you said Spider-Man 2 /technically/ has Doc Ock, Lizard, Hob-Goblin, and Green Goblin, Doc Ock is the only antagonist for the film with actual screentime. Green Goblin is already covered in the first Spider-Man film and the still-lurking presence of his death serves as a driving force for Harry to become Hob-Goblin -who is naturally expected to be (one of the) primary antagonists for what would become Spider-Man 3-, which is escalated by Harry finding out Spider-Man's identity-which otherwise wouldn't had been done without Spider-Man 2's antagonist Doc Ock. As for Lizard...well, the character who becomes Lizard in the comics never actually becomes that character in Ramai's films, so whether he actually counts as a existing villain in Ramai's Spider-Man film series is debatable.

Scarecrow already got his dues in The Dark Knight's predecessor Batman Begins, with him sharing the primary antagonist role with Ra's Ah Ghul for at least the second act, starting with Bruce returning to Gotham all the way up to the climax. The beginning scene in TDK just wraps up his arc (at least until TDK Rises) by him finally being captured by Batman after escaping the authorities in the aftermath of Batman thwarting the League of Shadow's/Ra's Ah Ghul's terrorist attack on Gotham.

Rhino, in comparison, is being introduced into the film series with the second movie (correct me if I'm wrong-I haven't seen the film but from what I know the Lizard was the only primary antagonists, with Oscorp being set up as a primary antagonist for later films). Judging  the trailers and screenshots, his four minutes of screentime doesn't look like it will have any relations with the overall story, which is helmed by Electro and Harry+Oscorp as the two antagonists.

I'd like to stress that this is just speculation on my part-if Rhino's fight scene has an effect on or is a result of ASM2's story, then my complaints are otherwise void.

I think the new suit looks great, I think it looks a lot better (and a lot more comfortable for the actor to wear ) than the Raimi suit. I'm going to exclude the ASM1 suit as that was more of a prototype that Peter started out with.

I want to dress up as Spidey for Halloween this year, it's like I've fallen back in love with the character for the first time since I was little. Thankfully, the Spiderman 'Zentai' suits aren't much on eBay. I'm excited for ASM2, and I might go see it in the cinema as I'm in the UK at the time.

I'd say in terms of managing to working in multiple villains into a story, the games based off of the Spider-Man films actually do a damn good job of serving a template for themselves and an  example that the films could follow.

I'd say in terms of managing to working in multiple villains into a story, the games based off of the Spider-Man films actually do a damn good job of serving a template for themselves and an  example that the films could follow.

The problem with that is that games are inherently suited to having multiple antagonists by their very nature. Films are not.

Take a good look SSMB! Hey, they're basically begging us to look at this point. Close-up of Gobby.

'Amazing Spider-Man 2': Witness the new Green Goblin -- EXCLUSIVE IMAGE!

By Darren Franich on Mar 26, 2014 at 2:36PM twitter-bird-16x16.png@DarrenFranich
The-Green-Goblin-Close-UP.jpg

Image Credit: Niko Tavernise

For a long time, the word on The Amazing Spider-Man 2 was that it would pit Andrew Garfield’s Peter Parker against Jamie Foxx’s Electro. But over the last few months, Sony has carefully shown its hand, revealing that Electro’s not the only bad guy tormenting the wondrous wall-crawler. In fact, as EW’s Sara Vilkomerson reveals in this week’s cover storyAmazing 2 was conceived as the franchise’s expansion point, bringing in a whole host of characters and world-buildy concepts with an eye toward future films. And surely no character will resonate more with anyone aware of Spidey history than Harry Osborn — who, as played by Dane DeHaan, will become Spider Enemy Number One, the nefarious Green Goblin.

Now, EW is excited to share with you the first close-up picture of Amazing‘s Green Goblin, which takes the character in a decidedly different aesthetic direction than the original trilogy. For one thing, this Goblin doesn’t just wear green. That’s his skin, breaking out in what looks like the nastiest case of Goblin-itis this side of Middle-Earth. Click on the image above for a larger view. NOTE: EW is not responsible for any sleep disorders that might result from staring into DeHaan’s eyes for too long.

in_this_issue1.jpeg?w=243&h=167For more on The Amazing Spider-Man 2, pick up the new issue of Entertainment Weekly on stands March 28. And be sure to join our Twitter chat with Andrew Garfield this Friday, March 28, at 2 p.m. ET. Tweet @EW and tag #AskAndrew to submit your questions now, and then tune in on Friday for answers!

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/03/26/amazing-spider-man-2-new-green-goblin/

MEH.

...yeah, Gobby's kinda meh looking. Maybe if they made him more green and made his eyes turn yellow and bulge out more it'd be interesting.

That said, I like the idea of the Goblin being a transformation rather than a latex outfit.

Well, he certainly does look... homeless. That's something, right?

• Thumbs Up 2

... I think I prefer the power ranger version. Heck, I prefer SM3's XTEME sports Goblin. Also, am I the only one who thinks the new Harry looks more emo than emo Peter? I think this film is not for me sadly.

• Thumbs Up 1

At least he doesn't look like a power rangers reject this time.

ARe you implying that this:goblin1.jpg said look wasn't awesome as hell?

For some reason, that image gives me the impression he's not fully done transforming. I wouldn't be surprised if he got more green over time, at least. I dunno, not really seeing any problems with his design.

Not like the Lizard who just looked kind of hilarious to me from the instant I saw him.