Awoo.

The Amazing Spider-Man (The Movies)

goku262002

So, anyone notice that Conner's left arm has five fingers when he is the Lizard yet his regenerated right arm has four. That's a really nice detail that I just love.

now_give_me_a_hand.png

Hey can I ask... weren't Peter's parents with SHIELD? Is the scientist dad thing an Ultimate thing?

Yeah, Peter's dad being a scientist is from Ultimate Spider-man. While Raimi's Spider-Man was more 60's Spider-Man with differences, Webb's Spider-Man seems to be more like a mix of the 60's Spider-Man and Ultimate Spider-man with a more Ultimate Spider-Man tone. That is by no means a bad thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm a bit skeptical on how Lizard will turn out. The trailer seems to paint Dr. Connors in a negative light, like he's actually an evil Norman Osborne-esque scientist or something. If so, then that pretty flies in the face of his Jeckyl-Hyde character shown in every other adaptation to date. And while this is minor, that picture a few posts above me makes me thing of Killer Cro more then Lizard. But like I said, that's a small nitpick.

I'm a bit skeptical on how Lizard will turn out. The trailer seems to paint Dr. Connors in a negative light, like he's actually an evil Norman Osborne-esque scientist or something. If so, then that pretty flies in the face of his Jeckyl-Hyde character shown in every other adaptation to date. And while this is minor, that picture a few posts above me makes me thing of Killer Cro more then Lizard. But like I said, that's a small nitpick.

Edited by PeanutButterDimond

Marc and Ryan have said he's a good guy with good intentions who gets caught up in the serum and power. He's a good guy and he and Peter become good friends during their making of the serum. The people who have seen the Sizzle reel have also attested to the fact that Connors is a good guy.

According to the people who have seen it, in the Sizzle Reel, Peter even says "STOP THIS, DR. CONNORS! THIS ISN'T YOU!". So he's still a good guy. Not evil. Remember the almighty wisdom of Tv Tropes. Trailers Always Lie.

Alright then, I have little else to fear in regards to Lizard then. smile.png

RANT

I.. am so ticked off by some people. For those who happen to browse or post in the SHH forums, there is a thread on the Lizard's appearance. Already people are up in arms because "There's not clothes", "He's too big" and "No snout". But the thing that blew my mind is some literally said that they are inclined to believe that The Lizard is the worst ever portrayal of a Spider-Man villain in a film yet. Because it's not how he wants. Because he's too big and because The Lizard is CGI, all he has is his appearance and Rhy's motion capture performance means nothing because it's on a CGI creature. My. GAWD!

That just did it for me. there's have legitimate concerns and then there's being a selfish, over reactive fool. I mean, just because a creature is CGi doesn't mean that their looks is all they have to do for them. Gollum from the lord of The Rings for example. Andy Serkis's motion capture performance made the role. I just can't wrap my head around that. I get it if the design isn't to your liking so far(With so many interpretations of the character, there will be people who will be disappointed) but to literally say that it's the worst portrayal of a Spider-Man villain yet from a few small clips and no dialogue. I am just so confused.

Also someone said that because The Lizard's face doesn't look like Connors means that the whole motion capture is pointless. However Rhy's performance will be show through the Lizard! The way he moves his eyes and mouth. Gollum didn't look exactly like Serkis but that sure as hell didn't stop his motion capture performance from being amazing.

gollum-wedding.jpg

Another thing is people keep saying this Lizard is like a Hulk Lizard. He's just nine gawddamn feet! Does this Lizard really look like he's the size of the freaking Hulk!? I mean, really? He looks a little bit more tall and bulky than an average human but not like the freakin' Incredible Hulk!?

ZvsOO.gif

He's by no means, the size of the Hulk. He's big but he isn't Hulk size. I really don't see the massive horror that is his height. Does this really kill everything about the lizard and make him the "worst portrayal of a Spider-Man villain on the screen"?

End of RANT

Rhys Ifans talks about the Lizard and Connors

Like many Spider-Man villains, The Lizard isn't necessarily evil, just misunderstood...

That's certainly the case here. Curt is a force for good throughout his life. He's a geneticist who wants to help people, like him, who are limbless. In his eagerness to advance that science, he makes a mistake and that's an occurrence we've seen throughout time, sometimes to our benefit, sometimes to our detriment.

Did you base him on any scientist in particular?

No, not in particular. I had vague memories of the Open University but I wouldn't say I looked like any of those guys. He is a broken man who wants to fix himself. The Lizard almost becomes a drug for him, an alter-ego like Jekyll and Hyde, if you like. He's strong and brave and agile in a way that he can't be in his own life.

Will we see Connors flit back and forth, or is this a gradual transformation?

I don't know if I can say. You'll see transformations of all kinds.

And you actually play The Lizard via mo-cap, don't you?

Yeah, the advancements in that are quite [frick]in' breathtaking. Each of your facial movements are repeatable, but then you add the face of a lizard. I was, disturbingly, able to recognise some of my facial tics. In terms of the physicality, I had a particular way I wanted The Lizard to move. I didn't have lots of CGI downtime.

How did you manage to suggest having a tail?

You just have to imagine yourself with a longer spine. Some days I'd be standing on set like one of those 'Golf Sale' people with the pole stuck down the back of my tracksuit, and on top would be the Lizard head. It was quite comical in comparison to the end result.

http://www.comicbook...s/news/?a=55036

@PeanutButterDimond, You make it sound like you've stumbled upon the Sega forums of Comic book forums. I mean I knew some would be upset about the lizard but going so far as to say it's the worst portrayal of a Spidey villain?

Do they not remember the Power Ranger brand GreenGoblin, or what I'm still guessing was supposed to be an accurate portrayal of Venom?

Edited by Balding Spider

It's the same thing where people complained that Venom didn't look muscular enough in 3. People will complain. I mean look at Green Goblin, that didn't look anything like the comics. I'm pretty sure people complained about that 10 yrs ago.

It's the same thing where people complained that Venom didn't look muscular enough in 3. People will complain. I mean look at Green Goblin, that didn't look anything like the comics. I'm pretty sure people complained about that 10 yrs ago.

People still complain about that now and I kind of agree. It looked really goofy and didn't particularly capture the spirit of the character. That being said, I did enjoy Dafoe's performance.

@PeanutButterDimond, You make it sound like you've stumbled upon the Sega forums of Comic book forums. I mean I knew some would be upset about the lizard but going so far as to say it's the worst portrayal of a Spidey villain?

Do they not remember the Power Ranger brand GreenGoblin, or what I'm still guessing was supposed to be an accurate portrayal of Venom?

SuperHeroHype* is well, there are a lot of good people on there but there are some who will nitpick and throw fits about everything. From the webbing on the suit being "too light" to the door man scene show crap acting to the Lizard's design being too big and the clothes being essential to CGI meaning that a performance doesn't matter. There are good people on there but there are some that... they can rival the freakin' SEGA forums in a bitchfest.

Fun Fact: SuperHeroHype was made around the time the first Spider-Man film was announced and was originally named "Spider-Man Hype".

Edited by PeanutButterDimond

I complained about Goblin.

Calling him the worst Spidey villain?

He isn't even the worst major movie super hero adapted villain. Poison Ivy, Penguin, Mr. Freeze, whoever the fuck was it in the first Hulk movie, Bullseye, that fucker who portrayed Kingpin, and etc. In fact, this is a lot closer to the Lizard than any of those other movie adaption movies were.

Wow, two great movies from comic books coming out this summer. I can't wait for Spider-Man and Dark Knight Rising.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm actually fine for the most part with the design of The Lizard, especially since Lizards appearance seems to often vary. My only real beef is that he isn't sporting his iconic torn lab coat.

And here are a few images from the films viral promotion. The rest can be viewed here: http://www.superhero...ral-hunt-begins

Sxahi.jpg

iCmMm.jpg

Read the bottom article. Electro has already been alluded to.

• Thumbs Up 3

Okay we've got some new Amazing Spiderman stuff here.

Captain Stacy shares his views on the Spider-man courtesy of the Daily Bugle.

Marc Webb speaks about the Lizard and teases a little something else about the future spider-man movies.

http://www.comicbook...1/news/?a=56513

More Marc this time teasing Eater Eggs (one in particular made me LOL), running time, the 3D, the movies score, and more.

http://www.comicbook...7/news/?a=56540

And finally a video of the Amazing Spider-man Wondercon panel.

Edited by Balding Spider
  • Thumbs Up 1

I hate to be that guy, but why the fuck was Emma Stone not casted as Mary Jane?

The Lizard Promo Art

14tafch.jpg

That actually looks worse than expected. Urgh.

I don't really like his look. I would've highly preferred his long snout over that weird human-looking face.

I don't really like his look. I would've highly preferred his long snout over that weird human-looking face.

He needs a snout, ragged clothes and someone who actually knows how to design a cool monster. As it is, he looks like something out of a crummy daytime TV movie.

Sam Raimi knew how to design monsters. sad.png

Yeah, I know I'm beating a dead horse.

He did? Venom looked terrible in Spider-Man 3, from what I can remember.

Seeing as how it seems to be a homage to the Lizard's original design, I don't mind too much. Yeah, a snout would have been cooler, but I can see why they picked that design.

He did? Venom looked terrible in Spider-Man 3, from what I can remember.

From what little we saw of him, to be more precise.

Sam Raimi knew how to design monsters. sad.png

Yeah, I know I'm beating a dead horse.

What monsters? The only one I can recall is Sandman and that didn't take much imagination to figure that one out. Venom, as Dissident pointed out, looked like shit, Green Goblin was a power ranger, and Dr. Octopus is...well really, there is no transformation. It was just a man with 4 mechanical limbs. This is the first actual monster in the Spider-man movie mythos.

I actually like his design. It is not so much CGI as a the Raimi movies.

wow, the lizard looks like a bad cg monster from some syfy channel B movie. It might be the lightning in the poster or something, but it just looks below average.

For the record, I thought Venom looked awesome...when his face wasn't being peeled back in order to replace the awesome head with Topher Grace. Seriously, whhhhyyy?