Awoo.

The Amazing Spider-Man (The Movies)

goku262002

So from the general consensus in this thread so far, it sounds like TASM 2 is pretty damn good and not as disjointed as we feared out to be.

Now it comes down to actually seeing it for myself.

The movie's main problem is that it is disjointed. The pacing and editing is fucked and the movie juggles way too many subplots and people involved, some of which should have been explored in the original movie.

The thing is, when compared to the original, many of those individual moments manage to salvage the enterprise from mediocrity with some good enough directing and nice set pieces. It's got a lot of good eye candy to it. An audience attending to the movie merely for the sake of Spider-Man will find a lot of good among some of the bloat. It ends up being relatively entertaining as long as you can stomach some incredibly stupid plot elements that make it drag a bit and doesn't really add much in the grand scheme of things.

The movie's main problem is that it is disjointed. The pacing and editing is fucked and the movie juggles way too many subplots and people involved, some of which should have been explored in the original movie.

The thing is, many of those individual moments manage to salvage the enterprise from mediocrity with some good enough directing and nice set pieces. It ends up being relatively entertaining as long as you can stomach some incredibly stupid plot elements that make it drag a bit and doesn't really add much in the grand scheme of things.

Well I was referring to general consensus on this thread, and it sounds it not as disjointed as we feared it to be.

This also sounds like something you probably won't like of you didn't like the first film.

Well I was referring to general consensus on this thread, and it sounds it not as disjointed as we feared it to be.

This also sounds like something you probably won't like of you didn't like the first film.

I dunno, I enjoyed the sequel for what it was and detested the original for it's unremarkability. This one does some things that I'd put into an ideal Spider-Man movie but fumbles a bit too much for it to really have me call it "great".

I can't say about people who did like the first but this one is less safe and tries to wear more hats than one, so I won't speak for those people.

Fair enough, I can understand why some might run into a few fallings out with these films, despite enjoying them myself.

I was somebody who found the first film a surprisingly good, but flawed effort. I would definitely say this was the better of the two personally. 

• Thumbs Up 2

ASM2 is my favourite Spider-Man film.

The chemistry between Stone and Garfield was brilliant in pretty much every scene they did. Their acting felt so natural. It made the dynamic of their relationship fascinating to watch. I do prefer Garfield's performance as Spider-Man compared to Maguire. He just feels more natural in the role.

The special effects, web slinging sequences and especially some of the web shooting sequences when Spidey fights Electro look so good. Even the slow-mo's look nice. 

The part of the story involving Peter's father was interesting, and arguably could have been flushed out more.

The fights scenes with Electro were some of the best I've seen out of the Spider-Man films. He was the kind of evil villain that you like-feel sorry for. I wish they had done more to develop his character. I really enjoyed Dane DeHann's portrayal of Harry Osborn. He was arguably the most interesting character in the film. He seems like a good up and coming actor. I do think his relationship with Parker should have been explored more. Definitely missed potential.

The humor was good. Stan Lee's cameo could have been better, haha.

I like how the cops and citizens all seem to warm to Spider-Man this time. They very much see him as the hero and not some menace which makes a nice change.

I like how the ASM films feel closer to the comic books.

A third film is pretty much guaranteed. There's a lot of potential there.

• Thumbs Up 2

I also believe this film to be superior to the first.  My little review may have undersold how much I did actually enjoy the film for what it's worth.  It's definitely got its issues in places, but I would say it's my favourite Spidey film to date as well.

When it comes to the design, Spidey's action movements and the score are about the only things about this movie I'll say are things I really like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NooHDkVxd0E

With The Winter Soldier also foregoing traditional orchestra for some hardcore battle tunes I hope it and TASM2 can set the stage for future movies of their ilk.

• Thumbs Up 1

*puts sock in mouth*

I don't get how they did it, this movie looked like the biggest clusterfuck ever but they pulled it off. It's now probably my second favourite Spider-Man movie. Andrew Garfield was actually comprehensible, it felt like a comic book and Dane DeHaan blew me away.

Anyway I have a few problems with the movie which I'll post below

• As good as Gwen's death scene was I was kind of taken out of it by this web-hand... thing. It's incredibly out of place and cheesier than even the crane scene from the first one.
  • Rhino sucks. His design is incredibly top heavy and cumbersome, the Iron Monger from Iron Man looks more like the Rhino. Plus why does he have machine guns and missiles when he has a GIANT FUCKING HORN ON HIS HEAD THAT HE DIDN'T USE?
  • The final shot itself, the film just... ends.
  • They gave away nearly everything in the trailers and what they didn't was cut in the end.

But my biggest gripe so far is this

• We find out that Peter's Dad worked on the spider's that bit Peter and that some of Richard's blood was in the venom. Richard explains that it will only work with people that also have his DNA. So effectively only Peter would be able to become Spider-Man. They removed the possibility that anyone could have become Spider-Man, they removed the "every man" factor which was one of the draws of the comics. So now he's some kind of "chosen one" and I've always felt that that's one of the cheapest ways of making a character important.

Just been to watch The Amazing Spider-Man 2 with my Dad. It was awesome and much better than the first in my opinion. 

I totally didn't expect Gwen to get killed off. Was so sad

:(

I honestly didn't like the first Amazing Spider-man film, because I didn't feel like the film had any kind of charm to it and left absolutely no impression on me whatsoever. It's not a horrible movie by any stretch of the imagination, but I felt that it was lacking in its charm by having some cheesy moments that make the film enjoyable for me. But, that's just me.

This however, seems to be an improvement than the first film, despite it being such a clusterfuck of a film. So I'll probably give the second film a shot when I get the chance to see it.

So basically this movie IS a clusterfuck, but in a good way. Seems legit.

No it's not a clusterfuck.  Well, not in the sense that "there's going to be loads of villains and sub plots and crazy stuff going on and none of it's going to be properly developed" like we initially thought but more in the sense that the pacing is erratic.  If anything...

with the way this film ends, it's Amazing Spider-Man 3 that's setting itself up to be the real clusterfuck

Just gonna give a little short review, for the two/three people that care, I didn't really like the first film, I thought it was definitely one of the weaker incarnations of Spider-man, so after reading the reviews I went in expecting medicore to average, but man. This film blew my expectations away.

It's not perfect, there's alot of editing and pacing issues and whatnot, but when it did something right, man did it do it right. The fight scenes were great, the writing were good, the acting was superb. 

Cmon man, why you looking in here? You already know what major spoiler I'm about to mention. Go on ahead if you want to know how that scene happens.

Gwen's death was done very well. The entire tension of the scene was well done. It's done in a unique way compared to the comics. Instead of a bridge, Hobgoblin carries her to the top of the clock tower. She starts to fall, and Spidey webs her up to one of the gears. Needless to say after the fight, the gears start to move and breaks the web keeping her in the air, and then it happens. The scene was one of the more shining parts of the film, except for one tiny part.

The Web hand. I'm sorry but holy shit. That was the most hilarious thing I've seen in a long time. When Spidey shoots out a web to go after Gwen, it forms it's own tiny web hand when trying to reach her. Of course the laughter was killed right as Gwen died. But man, that one part. 

Other then that, it was a great scene. The way Garfield reacted to her death was great acting on his part.

Only complaint is the foreshadowing of it throughout the entire film. Captain Stacy appears as a ghost and gives Peter one of those stern "I'm watching you..." looks every time he thinks about Gwen. It's pretty ridiculous tbh. And with alot of Gwen's lines, they might as well should've put a "I love life!" shirt on her and have her talk about how much she's looking forward to living.

Also, another spoiler to note, the whole Peter's parents thing, as I expected, had me lacking the energy to really care. I'm sorry but I just don't care about what Richard and Mary Parker did. Thankfully, they wrapped that shit up this film.

Actually they wrap up alot of left-over plots from the first film, which I think was a smart choice. It gives the third film alot more breathing room to do it's own thing, something Raimi's Spider-man films didn't allow it.

But like I said, I'm willing to look past most of it's flaws because of how enjoyable the film was.

This might honestly be the best Spiderman film for me.  Very excited for Amazing Spiderman 3.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just saw The Amazing Spiderman 2, and it was 'amazing'! Probably my new favourite Spiderman film. A lot of people complained out the pacing but I found it to be fine. But pacing really seems to depend on the person, and what their preferences are. I found it to be just about perfect, nothing drags out, and almost nothing is too short. They handled multiple villains quite well too, along with the relationship between Peter and Gwen.

Overall, I'll definitely recommend it.

• Thumbs Up 2

The scene with the Man In the Shadows walking past the Oscorp equipment was also altered, with the Venom symbiote being replaced with Rhino's armour.

foreshadowing~

I hope Venom shows up in some way in ASM3. I mean, Carnage shows up as the final boss in ASM2 and he's quite a good portrait of the character, with a bit of a "not so different you and I" thing with Spider-Man. But if this ends up like another Smythe situation, then sure I don't mind. Fresh origins I guess.  

MovieBob does a pretty interesting video on Gwen Stacy in this week's The Big Picture.

It has no TASM2 spoilers (he hasn't seen it yet) but he theorizes and talks a bit about the character as a whole and what she amounts to in the grand scheme of Spider-Man, both in the comics and the movies.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Sinister Six line-up has been potentially revealed. Warning for possible spoilers, obviously.

Line up:

"From the looks of things, The Sinister Six lineup is likely to include the Green Goblin, Doctor Octopus, Rhino, Vulture, Kraven the Hunter and Mysterio (or, perhaps, the Chameleon)."

I can roll with that, well other than GG

I have heard thoughts that they might merge Chameleon and Mysterio, which could work, but I'd prefer they dont

The Sinister Six line-up has been potentially revealed. Warning for possible spoilers, obviously.

Line up:

"From the looks of things, The Sinister Six lineup is likely to include the Green Goblin, Doctor Octopus, Rhino, Vulture, Kraven the Hunter and Mysterio (or, perhaps, the Chameleon)."

That list isn't accurate.

Jamie hinted that Electro will be returning by saying that "you can't kill electricity."

Plus Kraven? Kraven isn't really the team guy

MovieBob does a pretty interesting video on Gwen Stacy in this week's The Big Picture.

It has no TASM2 spoilers (he hasn't seen it yet) but he theorizes and talks a bit about the character as a whole and what she amounts to in the grand scheme of Spider-Man, both in the comics and the movies.

Plus an early review of the movie itself, which he somehow managed to grab a screening of despite it not being out in the US yet.

Summary: He thinks it is marginally better than the first film, but still a terrible film that feels more like a movie-length trailer for investors rather than an actual story. He basically ends the whole video by saying "I really wish this movie would bomb so Sony would just stop making these terrible movies, because as a fan of Spider-Man, it tears me up inside that garbage like this is still being made."

Plus an early review of the movie itself, which he somehow managed to grab a screening of despite it not being out in the US yet.

Movie critics often get early screenings so they have time to write their reviews. Typically there's an embargo in place, but this movie's been out for like a week in other countries so that's not the case here, lol. Honestly though, I've kinda stopped caring about what Bob has to say regarding these movies. It's more of a personal beef I have with him, really. Like I respect him and value his insight on a lot of things, but every now and then he gets in pure blind fanboy rage mode and takes it to what I feel are downright obnoxious levels, though thankfully he mostly keeps it confined to his Twitter. This is one of those "now and then" 's.

Anywho, I guess that's not really what this thread is about xP   I don't have much to say in regards to ASM2 since I can't see it yet. I found the first movie to be pretty good, but I still really prefer Raimi's version of Spider-Man for various reasons. (Spoilered to save space)

The main thing is that I think those movies had a better grasp on Peter Parker and his personal life, which has always been what sets Spider-Man apart from other superheroes. Peter Parker and Spider-Man are two sides of the same coin. Peter wants to live his normal life, but feels like he HAS to help people as Spider-Man even if it means sacrificing his own happiness. It's what makes him a truly selfless and noble person. The Raimi movies understood this (yes, even Spider-Man 3, regardless of whether or not it did it

well). There was a heavy focus on how being Spider-Man constantly turned Peter's actual life into shit, with a strong and diverse supporting cast to back it up. Aunt May, Mary Jane, Harry, Jameson and the Daily Bugle staff, the landlord and his daughter, Dr. Connors, etc. Sure one or two of them were kinda pointless, but I liked the diversity and they helped make those movies truly feel like Spider-Man stories.

I felt Amazing did a good job with Spider-Man himself, but the Peter Parker side of things was lacking. There wasn't much of a supporting cast outside of Gwen and Aunt May, and everyone else that wasn't them had something to do with Peter's life as Spider-Man. In other words, there wasn't much there that felt like it belonged exclusively to PETER'S life to make it feel separate from SPIDER-MAN'S. His dead father had something to do with the genetically altered spider, Curt Connors turned into a super-villain, and George Stacy was all but leading a manhunt for Spidey.  It's like Peter gets bit by the spider and then his life is almost exclusively 100% about being Spider-Man. Without that supporting cast or balance between Peter and Spidey, the movie feels like it's missing a really important ingredient to really make it feel like Spider-Man to me. I'm hopeful ASM2 does a better job with this, but from the trailers it kinda looks like it probably isn't trying to. So I'm rather doubting that this particular set of movies is ever going to top the old ones in my book. But in the end, I still enjoy the first one and I'm sure I'll like this one at least just as much.

I always swear to myself that I'm not gonna ramble whenever I decide to actually post, but it never seems to work out that way. >_>

• Thumbs Up 2