goku262002

The Amazing Spider-Man (The Movies)

I honestly didn't like the first Amazing Spider-man film, because I didn't feel like the film had any kind of charm to it and left absolutely no impression on me whatsoever. It's not a horrible movie by any stretch of the imagination, but I felt that it was lacking in its charm by having some cheesy moments that make the film enjoyable for me. But, that's just me.

This however, seems to be an improvement than the first film, despite it being such a clusterfuck of a film. So I'll probably give the second film a shot when I get the chance to see it.

So basically this movie IS a clusterfuck, but in a good way. Seems legit.

No it's not a clusterfuck.  Well, not in the sense that "there's going to be loads of villains and sub plots and crazy stuff going on and none of it's going to be properly developed" like we initially thought but more in the sense that the pacing is erratic.  If anything...

with the way this film ends, it's Amazing Spider-Man 3 that's setting itself up to be the real clusterfuck

Just gonna give a little short review, for the two/three people that care, I didn't really like the first film, I thought it was definitely one of the weaker incarnations of Spider-man, so after reading the reviews I went in expecting medicore to average, but man. This film blew my expectations away.

It's not perfect, there's alot of editing and pacing issues and whatnot, but when it did something right, man did it do it right. The fight scenes were great, the writing were good, the acting was superb. 

Cmon man, why you looking in here? You already know what major spoiler I'm about to mention. Go on ahead if you want to know how that scene happens.

Gwen's death was done very well. The entire tension of the scene was well done. It's done in a unique way compared to the comics. Instead of a bridge, Hobgoblin carries her to the top of the clock tower. She starts to fall, and Spidey webs her up to one of the gears. Needless to say after the fight, the gears start to move and breaks the web keeping her in the air, and then it happens. The scene was one of the more shining parts of the film, except for one tiny part.

The Web hand. I'm sorry but holy shit. That was the most hilarious thing I've seen in a long time. When Spidey shoots out a web to go after Gwen, it forms it's own tiny web hand when trying to reach her. Of course the laughter was killed right as Gwen died. But man, that one part. 

Other then that, it was a great scene. The way Garfield reacted to her death was great acting on his part.

Only complaint is the foreshadowing of it throughout the entire film. Captain Stacy appears as a ghost and gives Peter one of those stern "I'm watching you..." looks every time he thinks about Gwen. It's pretty ridiculous tbh. And with alot of Gwen's lines, they might as well should've put a "I love life!" shirt on her and have her talk about how much she's looking forward to living.

Also, another spoiler to note, the whole Peter's parents thing, as I expected, had me lacking the energy to really care. I'm sorry but I just don't care about what Richard and Mary Parker did. Thankfully, they wrapped that shit up this film.

Actually they wrap up alot of left-over plots from the first film, which I think was a smart choice. It gives the third film alot more breathing room to do it's own thing, something Raimi's Spider-man films didn't allow it.

But like I said, I'm willing to look past most of it's flaws because of how enjoyable the film was.

This might honestly be the best Spiderman film for me.  Very excited for Amazing Spiderman 3.

Just saw The Amazing Spiderman 2, and it was 'amazing'! Probably my new favourite Spiderman film. A lot of people complained out the pacing but I found it to be fine. But pacing really seems to depend on the person, and what their preferences are. I found it to be just about perfect, nothing drags out, and almost nothing is too short. They handled multiple villains quite well too, along with the relationship between Peter and Gwen.

Overall, I'll definitely recommend it.

The scene with the Man In the Shadows walking past the Oscorp equipment was also altered, with the Venom symbiote being replaced with Rhino's armour.

foreshadowing~

I hope Venom shows up in some way in ASM3. I mean, Carnage shows up as the final boss in ASM2 and he's quite a good portrait of the character, with a bit of a "not so different you and I" thing with Spider-Man. But if this ends up like another Smythe situation, then sure I don't mind. Fresh origins I guess.  

The Sinister Six line-up has been potentially revealed. Warning for possible spoilers, obviously.

Line up:

"From the looks of things, The Sinister Six lineup is likely to include the Green Goblin, Doctor Octopus, Rhino, Vulture, Kraven the Hunter and Mysterio (or, perhaps, the Chameleon)."

I can roll with that, well other than GG

I have heard thoughts that they might merge Chameleon and Mysterio, which could work, but I'd prefer they dont

The Sinister Six line-up has been potentially revealed. Warning for possible spoilers, obviously.

Line up:

"From the looks of things, The Sinister Six lineup is likely to include the Green Goblin, Doctor Octopus, Rhino, Vulture, Kraven the Hunter and Mysterio (or, perhaps, the Chameleon)."

That list isn't accurate.

Jamie hinted that Electro will be returning by saying that "you can't kill electricity."

Plus Kraven? Kraven isn't really the team guy

MovieBob does a pretty interesting video on Gwen Stacy in this week's The Big Picture.

It has no TASM2 spoilers (he hasn't seen it yet) but he theorizes and talks a bit about the character as a whole and what she amounts to in the grand scheme of Spider-Man, both in the comics and the movies.

Plus an early review of the movie itself, which he somehow managed to grab a screening of despite it not being out in the US yet.

Summary: He thinks it is marginally better than the first film, but still a terrible film that feels more like a movie-length trailer for investors rather than an actual story. He basically ends the whole video by saying "I really wish this movie would bomb so Sony would just stop making these terrible movies, because as a fan of Spider-Man, it tears me up inside that garbage like this is still being made."

Plus an early review of the movie itself, which he somehow managed to grab a screening of despite it not being out in the US yet.

Movie critics often get early screenings so they have time to write their reviews. Typically there's an embargo in place, but this movie's been out for like a week in other countries so that's not the case here, lol. Honestly though, I've kinda stopped caring about what Bob has to say regarding these movies. It's more of a personal beef I have with him, really. Like I respect him and value his insight on a lot of things, but every now and then he gets in pure blind fanboy rage mode and takes it to what I feel are downright obnoxious levels, though thankfully he mostly keeps it confined to his Twitter. This is one of those "now and then" 's.

Anywho, I guess that's not really what this thread is about xP   I don't have much to say in regards to ASM2 since I can't see it yet. I found the first movie to be pretty good, but I still really prefer Raimi's version of Spider-Man for various reasons. (Spoilered to save space)

The main thing is that I think those movies had a better grasp on Peter Parker and his personal life, which has always been what sets Spider-Man apart from other superheroes. Peter Parker and Spider-Man are two sides of the same coin. Peter wants to live his normal life, but feels like he HAS to help people as Spider-Man even if it means sacrificing his own happiness. It's what makes him a truly selfless and noble person. The Raimi movies understood this (yes, even Spider-Man 3, regardless of whether or not it did it

well). There was a heavy focus on how being Spider-Man constantly turned Peter's actual life into shit, with a strong and diverse supporting cast to back it up. Aunt May, Mary Jane, Harry, Jameson and the Daily Bugle staff, the landlord and his daughter, Dr. Connors, etc. Sure one or two of them were kinda pointless, but I liked the diversity and they helped make those movies truly feel like Spider-Man stories.

I felt Amazing did a good job with Spider-Man himself, but the Peter Parker side of things was lacking. There wasn't much of a supporting cast outside of Gwen and Aunt May, and everyone else that wasn't them had something to do with Peter's life as Spider-Man. In other words, there wasn't much there that felt like it belonged exclusively to PETER'S life to make it feel separate from SPIDER-MAN'S. His dead father had something to do with the genetically altered spider, Curt Connors turned into a super-villain, and George Stacy was all but leading a manhunt for Spidey.  It's like Peter gets bit by the spider and then his life is almost exclusively 100% about being Spider-Man. Without that supporting cast or balance between Peter and Spidey, the movie feels like it's missing a really important ingredient to really make it feel like Spider-Man to me. I'm hopeful ASM2 does a better job with this, but from the trailers it kinda looks like it probably isn't trying to. So I'm rather doubting that this particular set of movies is ever going to top the old ones in my book. But in the end, I still enjoy the first one and I'm sure I'll like this one at least just as much.

I always swear to myself that I'm not gonna ramble whenever I decide to actually post, but it never seems to work out that way. >_>

Summary: He thinks it is marginally better than the first film, but still a terrible film that feels more like a movie-length trailer for investors rather than an actual story. He basically ends the whole video by saying "I really wish this movie would bomb so Sony would just stop making these terrible movies, because as a fan of Spider-Man, it tears me up inside that garbage like this is still being made."

I was wondering whether or not he would do one much like his early review of the previous movie. Most of his criticisms are pretty legitimate and reflect well on how I see the movie - it is a better movie, but it is a pretty major mess, mostly on account of a load of variables that were flawed from the outset and that have to be in there for the sake of the movie's marketing. It's insanely hard to overlook the corporate approach in these movies and it's good to see him dispel the notion that the license has to be with Marvel for the franchise to go anywhere.

For me I mostly just diverge on the whole aspect that I already felt like the first movie was where I hit rock bottom, so I had a hard time getting worked up about the bad parts in the sequel. I got to enjoy some of the movie's stupidity a bit more, but with the American critics seeing it now and the RT plummeting pretty badly it doesn't look like anyone is thinking much about this even when compared to it's predecessor, so I guess in the long run the incredible skepticism was vindicated.

Just left the theater. Excellent movie, just as I'd hoped it'd be.

I can sort of see what people are talking about in terms of tonal dissonance jerking you around, but the only instance were that really bothered me was the ending. They should have just ended with a shot if him grabbing the mask. Other than that I thought it was fine. I took Electro a lot more seriously than I thought I would, and Harry was really great.

Hilarious that people thought had this would be the next Spider-Man 3 - it's not even remotely close. I hope it does great in the box office. I'd hate for Marvel to get the license.

I don't think there's a lot of merit in writing off Spider-Man 3 comparisons as misplaced if the structure is what's being argued. Truth be told I think the very reasons this movie's most glaring issues come into play is precisely why the fears of it being another "Spider-Man 3" come into fruition from, because the movie not having any payoffs in regards to it's multiple villains doesn't change the fact that they're rushed into the mix for arbitrary reasons to create a plot that doesn't make much sense, having a bunch of plotholes in the process (why does Harry's hereditary disease matter so much for him right now if Norman could live with it for his entire life for one thing and what even turns Harry evil in the first place considering his armor accounts for his health). If anything, having no payoffs is pretty detrimental to this movie's ability to stand on it's own and at the same time it's interest in having it's crowded narrative seems to downplay things that feel skimmed passed when put side-to-side with the comparatively simpler TASM, which worked better as a sum of it's parts in a lot of aspects. Plot-wise there's a rather large lack of things to really hold onto when it feels more like it's saying "we're having a more interesting movie than this coming out", which in a way reminds me of Iron Man 2.

As an aside, something I couldn't help but notice, I find it pretty shameless of Kurtzman and Orci to write a character in the movie named Kafka who is literally the worst kind of German stereotype imaginable. That character had no reason to be in there and imagining someone actually writing him in without shame was cringe inducing.

That all said I still enjoy the movie's bits and bobs in terms of design, aesthetic and audio, but I find it perplexing that I feel like the first movie was probably a much better movie as a whole despite liking it less, and it's kind of made me start questioning just how much lip service towards fans have to matter outside of movies as a whole. Green Goblin, in particular, wouldn't exist in this movie if he wasn't there to either perform or not perform what is expected of him in a worrying circumstance, and outside of that his role is incredibly diminished and unnecessary. Is TASM2 a better movie just cause Spider-Man acts more like Spider-Man? I dunno. I suppose it is an appeal in that regard but I think I need to give TASM1 another spin in the near future just to compare the two, because upon recollection I feel like my opinion on TASM2 may have been rose-tinted on account of it better portraying what I hoped it would do rather than what it accomplished as a piece of media.

That list isn't accurate.

Jamie hinted that Electro will be returning by saying that "you can't kill electricity."

Plus Kraven? Kraven isn't really the team guy

The hell are you talking about? Kraven has been on the Sinister Six several times in both universes of comics and several series.

I want to see this film, but I want to see Godzilla first.

I just got the first one on a Blu-Ray/DVD combo pack. I've yet to use it, but I saw the first one in theaters. I might have said this already, but I thought it was an enjoyable film, thus why I want to see this one.

Watched the movie tonight. While I'm not going to claim it's perfect (I think it has quite a few flaws in fact), what it nailed it really nailed and on a personal level I loved it. Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone had amazing chemistry as they did in the first movie (not to mention Peter and Gwen's relationship was really well done), and the action scenes and swinging scenes were amazing. They really, really nailed how Spider-Man moves about, even more so then the first one. In terms of the story and stuff I pretty much agree with what Homem said (I especially appreciate them finally getting Spidey perfectly right because I love him as a character), and the soundtrack was pretty cool as well. Special shout out to Spidey actually whistling the 60's Spider-Man theme song at one point, and it also being his phone ringtone. That made me laugh, lol. Specific spoiler thoughts under the cut.

-I thought that the way it ended was kind of underwhelming. It should have either ended sooner or later: as in it either should have gone on an extra 5 minutes to show Spidey kicking Rhino's ass to really run in that Spider-Man is back, or just ended with him looking at the mask. It felt underwhelming to end on his charging Rhino.

- Gwen's death scene was handled quite well. I like how it went into slow-mo and Spider-Man was shooting the web which gave you hope that she would survive but then she died anyway. Peter almost saved her but just came up a tiny bit short, and that tiny bi cost her her life. Really good stuff. 

-The movie had several one-liners that made me chuckle.

Despite it's flaws, the movie had me gripped to the screen and gave me chills at certain points, and had me super happy as we left the cinema. It's like the reminder that I didn't know I needed of how much I love Spidey. So yeah, flawed yet enjoyable movie and I personally loved it. 

Just got back from watching it with my folks. It was alright, but then again, I wasn't really coming in with high expectations, so forgive my rather "eh" thoughts about it.

Action was awesome. Though that was kind of given. The chemistry between Peter and Gwen was a bit sappy for me, but still nicely performed.

But the plot definitely felt a bit cluttered and rushed with how it handled Electro and his demise just so we could get to Harry's big reveal as the Green Goblin.

Couple things that kind of irked me was:

-The fact that they're reinforcing that Oscorp is the source of every bad thing that happens in  the city with The Lizard from the last movie, Electro and Harry in this one, and eventually the Sinister Six sequel bait that they tossed oh-so heavy-handily near the end.

-The ending. Not the entirety mind you, but the moment that's supposed to lead up to Spidey's grand return. Okay, there's a crazy guy in a rhino-mech tearing shit up engaged with police. Sounds scary, right? Not to the pedestrians just standing around like it's some great spectacle. Either the citizens of New York are used to seeing all sorts of chaos in the city, or are just that stupid and think they're safe from harm. But what made even more facepalm worthy for me was seeing this little kid, dressed up as Spiderman (since he met Spidey earlier in the film), manages to sneak away, stand across from Rhino, only for the people to now freak out and say "OH SHIT! MAYBE BEING AROUND THIS SCENE WAS A BAD IDEA!" until Spidey obviously comes around and gets the kid to safety.

Okay, I get it. Peter wasn't Spidey for 5 months because of Gwen's death and his heroics towards this kid makes said kid inspired to symbolically fill in for him. I get that, I seriously do. But I just goddamn hated how it was handled and made whatever sentiment I was supposed to have for this scene was completely botched by how it happened and how pretentiously set-up it was.

I don't mean to sound like I hated this film, because I didn't. It was alright. Again, I wasn't expecting too much from it aside from being a decent action flick, so maybe that's the problem. But for what it's worth, I can at least recommend it for anyone else who liked the first one or likes Spidey in general.

And now, since he doesn't have anything else to make this weekend, Moviebob decides to outline why Spider-Man 3 isn't nearly as bad as people say it is. It's still not a good film, but he says its better than stuff like The Dark Knight Rises.

And, amazingly... Remember that incredibly awkward, cringeworthy sequence involving "emo-Peter"? He has a credible defense for it - it's intentionally awkward, cringeworthy and hard to watch, because Peter and the symbiote don't have any proper frame of 'reference' for what is 'cool'. Its a mockery of heroic characters going 'dark' or 'evil' for the sake of being 'cool', so the end result is what you see in the film. The intention was likely to make people want Peter to ditch the symbiote as soon as soon as possible. Of course, people also completely forget that the "forced laugh" sequence from Final Fantasy X was also blatantly and deliberately forced (seriously, in-context, you'd be extremely hard-pressed not to realize that the forced laughing was intentional, even the other characters wonder what the hell is going on), so...

It's certainly an interesting critique.

Of course, people also completely forget that the "forced laugh" sequence from Final Fantasy X was also blatantly and deliberately forced

And people forget that any script that requires the sentence "Tidus laughs like a deranged seagull" is not necessarily good. Just making an annoying thing intentionally does not excuse the thing from being annoying, though how much that applies to SM3 I'll leave to you.