Awoo.

The Amazing Spider-Man (The Movies)

goku262002

As for the first point, I don't think anyone's in a hurry to kill of Peter, comrade.

Don't tempt or challenge Marvel Comics. We only recently just got Pete back to life at that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh, I don't wanna see anybody else under the mask. If its not Peter Parker then it's simply not Spider-Man to me, everyone is else is a faker. Same goes for Batman, Iron Man, and whatever other superheroes that had someone else put on the mask. We haven't even scratched the surface of Pete's rogues gallery in the films, so whats the hurry in replacing him?

I'd rather see a Spider-Man 2099 film before they make one about Miles Morales, it's got nothing to do with racism as I'm Hispanic much like Miguel and Miles. Neither will happen though simply because the general audience has no idea who the hell Miguel O'Hara or Miles Morales are. You're mistaken if you think Marvel will develop a Miles Spidey film when the rights inevitably revert, as they no doubt will wanna take a spin with Peter in their universe. If Miles happens it'll be much much later.

I will say this though. I really can't stand the arrogant attitudes that come off in interviews with Arad and Tolmach. They act like they own the character outright and its annoying. You guys are merely renting the franchise from Marvel and are on borrowed time. Now I'm in no hurry for Spider-Man to revert back to Marvel Studios, simply because I don't think all of Marvel's movies are that great, and I'm pretty contempt with what Sony's doing with the franchise currently, it's not perfect but neither is the MCU. Still not sure how I feel about the Sinister Six movie though. Do I want to see Spidey join The Avengers? It would be cool, but I'd rather just have Spider-Man exist in the same Marvel Universe. Funny thing is this series was almost in continuity with the MCU, but for whatever the reason the Oscorp building never made it into the skyline in The Avengers due to the design not being finished in time. I think it is still is in spirit though, the technology seen in TASM films and the MCU is virtually the same. But reading interviews with these guys really makes me wish Marvel would just pull the rug out from underneath Sony sometimes.

This is a stupid argument. First off, Hispanic is not anything correlating with race. Miguel O' Hara is a white passing Hispanic compared to an Ava Ayala who is clearly dark skinned Boricua. So you are saying," I don't mind replacing a white guy with a white guy with an accent" which kind of makes your statement redundant as fuck. Second, fake Spider-man? Okay, so Wally West and Barry Allen were the Fake Flashes. I am pretty sure Barry Allen is getting his own Tv series and Jay Garret is not involved. Tim Drake, Jason Todd, Stepanie Brown, and Damien Wayne were never Robin because they weren't Dick Grayson. Hal Jordan, Guy Gardner, Jon Stewart, Kyle Rayner, and Simon Baz are fake Green Lanterns because they aren't Alan Scott. Who the fuck is Alan Scott because he certainly was not in that especially shitty movie? And I guess Scott Lang is the fake Ant-Man because he isn't the original Ant-Man, but apparently he gets the starting role as Ant-Man...just skipping over Hank Pym. So apparently your requirements for fake happens to revolve around skin color which sounds kind of racist.

And do I think Marvel is more likely to introduce Miles than Sony? Yes. If you don't know, Marvel has a committee of writers of comics that ensure the source material of the characters and story are in tact. No movie gets a pass in Marvel without going through them. Guess who is on that board? Brian Michael Bendis. Writer of Ultimate Spider-man. He has already been pushing for Marvel to have more media for Miles. You think he wants a movie? You damn right he does. Not to mention there is a class action lawsuit directed at the movie industry calling them out for employee discrimination as a lot of starring roles cast white males. Disney don't like that so they will have a minority lead. Problem is that Marvels black superheroes prior to the 90s are stupidly racist so they are chomping at the bit for a minority character without the history of racism in the industry. In other words, the newer super heroes who are gay, more diverse, and encompass a lot more than a relic like Peter Parker. In other words...

tumblr_n54nleytVK1txymuyo1_500.gif

• Thumbs Up 5

It does seem quite far-fetched to label anyone other than Peter Parker as the "REAL" Spider-man, especially considering how shitty 616 currently is and has been.

I think they should keep Peter Parker as the main Spiderman, but maybe have multiple Spideys at some point? I'd love to see Miles Morales in some way, but I don't really want me getting rid of Peter....or Andrew Garfield....

The Amazing Spiderman series doesn't seem to be following the comics that heavily, so who knows, perhaps this can happen...

Harry finally manages to get Peter's blood, and reclaims his position as CEO of Oscorp. Oscorp's labs do extensive research with Peters blood and creates more radioactive spiders, but some are stolen and Miles gets bitten by one.

I know it would be different to the comics by having multiple Spidermen at the same time, but the films really shouldn't be 100% the same as the comics. Sure, take some key notes from them, but use the pieces that were there before to create something new out of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I know it would be different to the comics by having multiple Spidermen at the same time, but the films really shouldn't be 100% the same as the comics. Sure, take some key notes from them, but use the pieces that were there before to create something new out of it.

It would literally ruin the entire point of Miles' character to have multiple Spider-men. If Peter does not die in order to introduce Miles, then it is not Miles' story anymore. It is like saying, "Uncle Ben does not die" for Peter Parker. So in Miles case, there can't be two. If you aren't going to commit to his story like you would for Peter's, then don't bother introducing him because it is not fair for fans of the character who literally have no other medium to go to when Peter has several media outlets. He has four comics coming out this month, 5 movies. ,several cartoons, and a shitty ass broadway play. I'm sorry if I don't weep for fans of Peter Parker who don't want him dead.

I think it would be pretty cool if Marvel perhaps did films based on the Ultimate universe. Of course, for Miles they would have to get the movie rights for Spidey back first, but I could see that working even if it's just a direct to DVD/Blu Ray thing. So there's nothing really stopping them from having both, just not in the same continuity.

I think they should keep Peter Parker as the main Spiderman, but maybe have multiple Spideys at some point? I'd love to see Miles Morales in some way, but I don't really want me getting rid of Peter....or Andrew Garfield....

The Amazing Spiderman series doesn't seem to be following the comics that heavily, so who knows, perhaps this can happen...

Harry finally manages to get Peter's blood, and reclaims his position as CEO of Oscorp. Oscorp's labs do extensive research with Peters blood and creates more radioactive spiders, but some are stolen and Miles gets bitten by one.

The more people you have running around with Spider powers the less unique they are to Spidey himself. As it is there are to many characters in the Marvel universe with the same or similar powers to Spidey.

Do we call both of Peter and Miles, Spider-Man in Sony's universe then? You'll piss off fans if you have Miles take on the Scarlett Spider identity, and you'll piss off fans even more if it isn't Ben Reilly, Kaine, or even Joe Wade under Scarlett's mask.

There's gonna come a time where the Spidey films run too stale for Sony and/or audiences, or Garfield gets sick of playing Peter Parker - whichever comes first, Miles is the next best solution since it gives Peter a heroic exit and gives the film universe another brilliant Spider-Man. 

• Thumbs Up 2

There's gonna come a time where the Spidey films run too stale for Sony and/or audiences, or Garfield gets sick of playing Peter Parker - whichever comes first, Miles is the next best solution since it gives Peter a heroic exit and gives the film universe another brilliant Spider-Man. 

They'd probably just reboot it again over bringing in Miles Morales.

Garfield's only signed on for a few more films and he's already said he doesn't wanna do it forever.

Considering Sony probably already know when Garfield plans on leaving and they still gave an outright "No" to Miles is absolutely a bad sign for Miles' potential to appear as Garfield's successor. Which is pretty shit imo because actor changes in the same canon rarely go over well, and if you want to create a cohesive universe, keeping a character per actor is important. Hulk being the currently relevant exception because Mark Ruffalo unexpectedly brought the character more popularity and freshness than Marvel expected.

The thing with Miles is, TASM movie franchise has already borrowed so frickin much from the Ultimate continuity. Why not just use Garfield's inevitable departure as an excuse to introduce Miles too? It would be a pretty fantastic move. I understand that Peter is THE Spider-Man of the main Marvel continuity, he's far too iconic to ever let go which is why he'll come back every time he "dies", even moreso than Steve Rogers, but with Ultimate.. Miles has already proven to be a popular and well written character in his own right, he's not Peter, and he doesn't need to be. Movies aren't main-Marvel, they've already proven to be borrowing from Ultimate too, and movies advance differently to comics, they demand freshness in crowded territories to stay afloat.

It's a shame Garfield doesn't have more say in this. He's a fantastic actor imo, a fantastic Peter Parker, and his determination to be succeeded by Miles in Sony-canon is something that's nice to see him stick by. I don't think he should give up, even if chances for that happening are low. I know I'd rather see Miles adding freshness to the Sony franchise than a non-Garfield picking up Peter's potentially-stale-by-then character arc.

Movie theory suggests that there's only so much you can do with a single protagonist character onscreen assuming that each movie needs a separate motive and character arc to keep the protagonist interesting for the audience, Marvel got it good because whenever a character lacks motivation or an arc they can push another character until they do have a motivation again, or they can kill them and start character arcs with their successor,

(*cough* Cap.. which is gonna upset a lot of people, and there will be people saying "there's only one Captain America to me, Steve Rogers! He's been around since the Golden Age!" But that's not going to change how successful Bucky will probably be for it, and the same could be said for Miles

if Sony gave him a chance)

A good example of this is Iron Man 2, which to a lot of people was mediocre, and this is partially because Stark didn't have nearly as strong a character arc as he does in any of his other protagonist roles. The Avengers actually served as a wonderful introduction to a character arc in Iron Man 3, which helped fresh him up again.

Sony.. have a little less wiggle room there. Peter can only have so many movie-filling character arcs before they run out of original ideas for him, there's gonna be a snag somewhere if Sony want to keep up this cinematic universe of theirs'. That's one of the reasons I was so looking forward to Miles.

But hey, that's just my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 3

Was tricked into seeing this instead of Cap 2. Ignoring my annoyance at that fact, I guess here's a patented Soma Review

Where do I even begin?

Amazing Spider-Man 2 is many, many things, but the only consistent thing about it was just how non-cohesive it was. Walking in as someone who hasn't seen the first film (though I filled myself in with knowledge from Ultimate Spider-Man/osmosis/etc.), I, at the very least, got what was going on at first. I guess that's something in the movie's favor: even though the movie's fifteen-hundred subplots don't really touch each other very much, they're each easy to understand and follow separately. However, the overall effect this gave was that someone had chopped up and then spliced together parts of about five Spider-Man movies, good movies though those may be.

The score was equally all over the place. On the far, bad side of things we have a couple of try-hard dubstep tracks and one scene ruined by some awful Mumford & Sons sound-alike. In the middle we have quite a few tracks that didn't help or hinder the movie so much as took up space; I can't even begin to remember what sort of song was playing during Electro's escape etc. In the good category there's only about two tracks that stuck out to me in a good way: the theme that plays when Peter uncovers the subway lab, and Gwen's funeral theme. Both admirably mixed electronic and classical to good effect, and I don't really have any complaints. The title theme is crap, though.

As far as characters, Green Goblin looks stupid and shows up out of nowhere, Electro has an intriguing start and then fizzles into nothing, Aunt May, except for one scene, is just sort of there, and so on. The only characters with any sort of strong start and finish to them was Pete and Gwen, so it's a good thing they have the strongest actors and lines in the joint (Sorry Foxx, it wasn't' you, it was the lines they gave Electro). Would genuinely be interested to see a better take on this sort of Electro who doesn't just end up as the monster of the week.

Overall it reminds me of the Hobbit films: Entertaining, but horribly messy and flawed. The movie's got a solid foundation but it just doesn't know what to do with itself. In other words, it was passable, but there was so much wasted potential.

Also no speaking Jameson scenes so -10/10

• Thumbs Up 2

ASM2 director, Marc Webb has revealed Mary-Jane Watson played by Shailene Woodley - the lead actress in the excellent film Divergent - was supposed to appear in ASM2.

Woodley filmed Mary-Jane scenes but they decided to leave them out and focus on the Parker-Stacy relationship.

I've spoiler tagged this as he does briefly mention events in ASM2.

Movies.com: Where was Mary Jane supposed to fit into all of this?

Marc Webb: There was one little scene at the beginning where she is next door and it took place right around the montage where he comes back and there was another little moment between Gwen and MJ. But it just tipped over. The relationship between them [Peter and Gwen] is so sacred and so powerful, that it just didn't feel right. And it sucks because Shailene is such a fucking great actress and so cool and magical but it was just about having this obligation to this romance that I thought was sacred. It was just one of those things.

Movies.com: Is she going to be back?

Webb: Well, Divergent is a massive hit and I think it's going to be tricky for schedules.

728789.jpg

Shailene Woodley is a good actress. I liked her performace a lot in Divergent. So it's a shame she doesn't appear in ASM2. That said, I don't think they needed her in the movie. Better to wait until ASM3. I hope she can still play the role.

I watched the movie today.

Acting was phenomenal, casting was great and everything was good. But there was so much about it that felt off. It had all the right pieces in the acting section as well as a good bit of the character portrayals as well as the action sequences, but that pacing and tone was a mess and a half. 

The entire movie felt like a constant mood whiplash and a bumbling lack of focus, even if I liked the story's elements. It's also become really apparent to me from the first and second movies combined that the tone feels off. I guess Sony felt the need to emphasize the 'drama' and somber aspects instead of making it more well-rounded in feel (like any of the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies are). 

It's why it pains me to say that as much as I love Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker, I can't see his Spider-Man being bought back into the Marvel movie universe and used in something like the Avengers or whatever. He'd just feel out of place even if I wish he didn't.

So based off what I am hearing hear it sounds like my reaction to this film will be the same as my reaction to the first one. I will like it but I will notice a bunch of flaws. I'm seeing it today on my b-day. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I saw the movie today. I've got quite the bunch to say.

I really did like the movie. The flaws went to the back of my head and I was feeling this movie had a lot of charm to it.

The characters were well-captured and portrayed. Everyone felt just right, the actors did great justice to quite a good script.

The soundtrack fit the tone and movie as a whole well.

The story didn't feel too messy and the many villains were handled well.

I definetely would recommend this as quite the Spidey fan.

• Thumbs Up 2

I saw the movie today. I've got quite the bunch to say.

I really did like the movie. The flaws went to the back of my head and I was feeling this movie had a lot of charm to it.

The characters were well-captured and portrayed. Everyone felt just right, the actors did great justice to quite a good script.

The soundtrack fit the tone and movie as a whole well.

The story didn't feel too messy and the many villains were handled well.

I definetely would recommend this as quite the Spidey fan.

I felt the same way, and it seemed pretty easy to piece everything together for me 

Those hoping for it to underperform to get Sony to rethink their future plans are probably out of luck, it's broken various records in many regions outside US, particularly in Asian regions.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, after actually seeing the movie, I actually think it's my favorite of the Spider-man movies. I'm kinda looking forward to "The Amazing Spiderman 3."

I mean, they still didn't convince me that the sinister 6 bullsht is a good idea but that's a hard sell to begin with.

Those hoping for it to underperform to get Sony to rethink their future plans are probably out of luck, it's broken various records in many regions outside US, particularly in Asian regions.

The movie isn't showing any confident legs though. The domestic box office drop was pretty bad last week and it got toppled by Neighbors. On top of that, Godzilla is debuting this week, and I shouldn't have to be the one to tell you how big of a deal that's going to be.

It'll probably gross around the same amount as the original did, but that's not really going to bring in any solid returns. The movie seems to have some pretty bad word of mouth.

• Thumbs Up 5

The movie isn't showing any confident legs though. The domestic box office drop was pretty bad last week and it got toppled by Neighbors. On top of that, Godzilla is debuting this week, and I shouldn't have to be the one to tell you how big of a deal that's going to be.

It'll probably gross around the same amount as the original did, but that's not really going to bring in any solid returns. The movie seems to have some pretty bad word of mouth.

Not to mention there's a lot of talk of 'downward trends' for any spin-offs/sequels. There is very little positive press for the movie overall.

I'm gonna remain doubtful until I see something official. I don't know if this is for the best, but I know I'd like Spidey in the MCU.

• Thumbs Up 7

I think this might be real. TASM2 didn't do that well with critics (though I loved the film), and I'm pretty sure that Marvel could request the rights back if Sony didn't handle the property well.