goku262002

The Amazing Spider-Man (The Movies)

ASM2 director, Marc Webb has revealed Mary-Jane Watson played by Shailene Woodley - the lead actress in the excellent film Divergent - was supposed to appear in ASM2.

Woodley filmed Mary-Jane scenes but they decided to leave them out and focus on the Parker-Stacy relationship.

I've spoiler tagged this as he does briefly mention events in ASM2.

Movies.com: Where was Mary Jane supposed to fit into all of this?

Marc Webb: There was one little scene at the beginning where she is next door and it took place right around the montage where he comes back and there was another little moment between Gwen and MJ. But it just tipped over. The relationship between them [Peter and Gwen] is so sacred and so powerful, that it just didn't feel right. And it sucks because Shailene is such a fucking great actress and so cool and magical but it was just about having this obligation to this romance that I thought was sacred. It was just one of those things.

Movies.com: Is she going to be back?

Webb: Well, Divergent is a massive hit and I think it's going to be tricky for schedules.

728789.jpg

Shailene Woodley is a good actress. I liked her performace a lot in Divergent. So it's a shame she doesn't appear in ASM2. That said, I don't think they needed her in the movie. Better to wait until ASM3. I hope she can still play the role.

I watched the movie today.

Acting was phenomenal, casting was great and everything was good. But there was so much about it that felt off. It had all the right pieces in the acting section as well as a good bit of the character portrayals as well as the action sequences, but that pacing and tone was a mess and a half. 

The entire movie felt like a constant mood whiplash and a bumbling lack of focus, even if I liked the story's elements. It's also become really apparent to me from the first and second movies combined that the tone feels off. I guess Sony felt the need to emphasize the 'drama' and somber aspects instead of making it more well-rounded in feel (like any of the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies are). 

It's why it pains me to say that as much as I love Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker, I can't see his Spider-Man being bought back into the Marvel movie universe and used in something like the Avengers or whatever. He'd just feel out of place even if I wish he didn't.

I saw the movie today. I've got quite the bunch to say.

I really did like the movie. The flaws went to the back of my head and I was feeling this movie had a lot of charm to it.

The characters were well-captured and portrayed. Everyone felt just right, the actors did great justice to quite a good script.

The soundtrack fit the tone and movie as a whole well.

The story didn't feel too messy and the many villains were handled well.

I definetely would recommend this as quite the Spidey fan.

I saw the movie today. I've got quite the bunch to say.

I really did like the movie. The flaws went to the back of my head and I was feeling this movie had a lot of charm to it.

The characters were well-captured and portrayed. Everyone felt just right, the actors did great justice to quite a good script.

The soundtrack fit the tone and movie as a whole well.

The story didn't feel too messy and the many villains were handled well.

I definetely would recommend this as quite the Spidey fan.

I felt the same way, and it seemed pretty easy to piece everything together for me 

Honestly, after actually seeing the movie, I actually think it's my favorite of the Spider-man movies. I'm kinda looking forward to "The Amazing Spiderman 3."

I mean, they still didn't convince me that the sinister 6 bullsht is a good idea but that's a hard sell to begin with.

Those hoping for it to underperform to get Sony to rethink their future plans are probably out of luck, it's broken various records in many regions outside US, particularly in Asian regions.

The movie isn't showing any confident legs though. The domestic box office drop was pretty bad last week and it got toppled by Neighbors. On top of that, Godzilla is debuting this week, and I shouldn't have to be the one to tell you how big of a deal that's going to be.

It'll probably gross around the same amount as the original did, but that's not really going to bring in any solid returns. The movie seems to have some pretty bad word of mouth.

The movie isn't showing any confident legs though. The domestic box office drop was pretty bad last week and it got toppled by Neighbors. On top of that, Godzilla is debuting this week, and I shouldn't have to be the one to tell you how big of a deal that's going to be.

It'll probably gross around the same amount as the original did, but that's not really going to bring in any solid returns. The movie seems to have some pretty bad word of mouth.

Not to mention there's a lot of talk of 'downward trends' for any spin-offs/sequels. There is very little positive press for the movie overall.

I think this might be real. TASM2 didn't do that well with critics (though I loved the film), and I'm pretty sure that Marvel could request the rights back if Sony didn't handle the property well.

Honestly, I think it's being too hopeful. Just because ASM2 got mixed critical reception and a disappointing box office doesn't mean the income was bad by any means (good, in fact, just not to expectation) and the amount of money that Sony make off Spider-Man and still plan on making off Spider-Man (another two confirmed films and two spin offs planned, not to mention tie-in video games) during their current financial situation just doesn't make sense at all.

Honestly, I think it's being too hopeful. Just because ASM2 got mixed critical reception and a disappointing box office doesn't mean the income was bad by any means (good, in fact, just not to expectation) and the amount of money that Sony make off Spider-Man and still plan on making off Spider-Man (another two confirmed films and two spin offs planned, not to mention tie-in video games) during their current financial situation just doesn't make sense at all.

Well, that depends. Based on a company's internal goals, "not meeting financial targets" could be just as bad as not actually making a profit. Even sticking just to Sony, we can use the PS3 as an example. The thing was a financial pit, soaking up billions of dollars all by itself in the first couple of years. The reason Sony went into panic mode, though, was because the system still wasn't selling nearly as well as they expected it too, even though it selling better would have meant more money lost short-term.

Though according to the comments he was just fucking with people.

If Sony loses the rights to Spider-Man, maybe we'll get a movie series that people can actually be decisive of.
The Sam Raimi trilogy is being panned for being "too old school," and the Amazing duo has gotten mixed reception, with me finding the first okay, and loving the second one. 

I dunno. People nowadays seem totally decisive about how awful the Raimi trilogy always was and how you aren't a real Spiderman fan if you think otherwise because of *minute change from the original source material* One need only look at the early pages of this thread to see it.

It reminds me a lot of the Fullmetal Alchemist pretentiousness that boiled over the second they announced Brotherhood.

I dunno. People nowadays seem totally decisive about how awful the Raimi trilogy always was and how you aren't a real Spiderman fan if you think otherwise because of *minute change from the original source material* One need only look at the early pages of this thread to see it.

It reminds me a lot of the Fullmetal Alchemist pretentiousness that boiled over the second they announced Brotherhood.

I personally love Spider-Man 2, as going to see the movie shaped me into the person I am today. Spider-Man 2 has a good share of problems, yet people say how god-like that movie is, and say how awful Amazing 2 is. It angers me. 

Ohhh, need to find out more to see if this is true but if it is then I'll be quite pleased!

From what I can see, ASM2 didn't do very well at the box office and even critics and audience reaction has been mixed so who knows what will happen next. Is it a good idea to even continue with that Sinister Six movie?

Actually, Sony doesn't make any money off the franchise other than box office intake, and of course home video release.

Sony relinquished their TV rights, and merchandising rights back to Marvel. In exchange Marvel forfeited their involvement in the films and their cut of the box office when they renegotiated their contract after Disney bought Marvel out. Probably wasn't the smartest decision Sony could've made since at this rate Disney's probably making more money off the merchandise than Sony is at the box office.

Just saw the film today, I'll try to some up my thoughts without going too much into spoiler territory.

• The plot is a jumbled mess, consisting of several threads that very haphazardly tie together. There's loads of stupid moments scattered throughout, like a kid dressing up as Spider-Man and heading into the heat of a very dangerous situation at the end. Electro's motivation is downright laughable, and despite serving as a formidable foe that's fun to watch, it takes massive suspension of disbelief to find an insecure fanboy going evil so soon believable in any sense.
  • Visually, the film is a mixed bag. I'm glad it decided to brighten up a bit, the film looks like a Spider-Man comic brought to the big screen perfectly. Spider-man's web swinging scenes are a real treat, and the super villain fights are pure spectacle, with how big and bombastic they are. But at the same time, the effects aren't much to really write home about, as you can see how CG Video game quality they are. It isn't too distracting though, aside from the Electro fight scenes (Which I doubt could have been made to look practical anyway, going by the nature of the character's abilities.
  • Biggest disappointment for me was by far the music, sadly. Hans Zimmer's work isn't really anything memorable, and did I really have to put up with listening to "For you" in a Spider-Man film?

This wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting it to be, but the plot leaves a helluva lot to be desired. For every sweet scene of Peter interacting with Gwen or Aunt May, along with laughing along at Spidey's humor, I have to put up with convoluted exposition on Peter's parents, Oscorp's involvement in everything, an irritating fanboy whose turn as a villain comes out of complete left field, and clear signs of Sony trying to beat Marvel at their own game with the upcoming Sinister Six Villain crossover movie. There's loads of fun to be had for me if I turn off my brain and enjoy the stupidity, but I'm still not going to cut it any more slack. 

I just got back from seeing this with a friend today. This post contains spoilers but chances are if you're in this topic you've probably already seen it and don't give a shit.

I really didn't like it all that much. It was a mess of a movie, both plot-wise and thematically. I have no idea where to fucking begin with this so I'm going to cite some assorted complaints off the top of my head. First off, the villains. Now I'm not going to claim that Dr. Conners from ASM1 was a great standard of villain for anyone to live up to, but it says something when each one of the sequel's villains were a massive step-down from Webb's attempts at humanizing Conners. Max was an embarrassing character to watch right from his very first scene and becomes completely one-dimensional the instant he decides that Spider-Man is his enemy. The moment when Spider-Man first confronts him paved the way for some interesting possibilities, especially when Max briefly expresses fear of what he has become. However, he turns into yet another generic villain once his self-delusion gets the better of him. Also, I don't buy Harry's transformation into a bad guy whatsoever, it was extremely abrupt and the entire last third of the movie seemed like an incredibly lengthy and elaborate set-up to a punch-line that falls flat. Rhino? That first scene with him was nothing special, but it re-introduced Spider-Man adequately. The entire last scene was very padded out and I didn't particularly care for it, except Peter's line "and on behalf of all rhinos everywhere" which admittedly did get a chuckle out of me.

And the subplots. So all that fucking build-up about Peter trying to find out about his parents and what his father was researching/why he ran away led to exactly what everyone already fucking knew from watching the first movie anyway: Oscorp is evil and is making evil things and doing evil things with them. Wow I never would have realized! At least the romance with Gwen contributes in some way to Peter's character, but finding out about his father does absolutely nothing except tell the audience what we already know about Oscorp. In fact, everything about Oscorp in these movies pisses me off. This movie might as well have been a two-hour advertisement to future Spider-Man installments, 'cause now we have this big bad corporation who's gonna shit out at least two more Spider-Man movies, a Venom spin-off, and yet another one focusing on the Sinister Six. I literally have no fucking idea how the public isn't picking up on the fact that this company is bad news, everything about it oozes of a necessity to produce a blockbuster regurgitating machine.

Killing off Gwen. I said a while ago that considering ASM's efforts to flesh Gwen out into her own character aside from just being a one-note love interest, it really would have been nice for the writers to subvert audience expectations and not make it feel like it's a bit of a waste to get invested in her and Peter's relationship when everyone already knows what's coming. For the record, I wasn't particularly into the "chemistry" the two had on screen together to begin with even in the first film, and I would have preferred for her to not die in general, but I would have been able to stomach it if her means of dying weren't so god damn contrived, being a last-minute addition due to an incredibly unsatisfactory pay-off to Harry's character arc. I suppose killing her off somehow ties into whatever theme the movie was trying to explore about Peter having to accept responsibility. I could buy into that, if it weren't for this movie being such a fucking mess that it has no idea what it wants to be and it wouldn't surprise me at all if said theme didn't factor into the writers' minds, and that Mary Jane is inevitably going to be appearing in ASM3 and a good chunk of it is going to be focused on Peter struggling between Gwen's death and his interest in someone else. All I got out of Gwen is that she dies because the comics say so.

I can't think of anything else, I'm too tired right now. The first movie was okay to me but ASM2 just made me tired of watching Spider-Man movies.

I don't think it's a good idea to get your hopes up about the Marvel re-attaining Spidey rights from Sony thing. As long as Sony make movies, they will want to make Spider-Man, it's their biggest money making movie franchise, and sure it might not last but.. right now it seems to be doing ok enough for them to maintain some optimism in the series' future. That guy on Twitter was pissing about, and he's said as much himself stuff along the lines of "people sure didn't like my Spider-Man joke" and "I'm sorry about the Spider-Man joke" and stuff.

If Spidey ever did go back to Marvel though I'd really like them to keep Garfield as Peter T-T I know that won't happen though. And I'm sure Marvel would find someone good for the role, but man Garfield is just perfect as Peter Parker to me.