Awoo.

Modern Technology and You

-Mark-

Well, people often have jobs that require constant communication or access to certain files or things.

Look, all I am saying as I don't okay, if people require them fine, I don't see the point in having one personally. I barely use the mobile I have now unless its urgent. smile.png

I really can't complain when it comes to the technology that I have.

I have an HTC Evo 4G smartphone, which can be really useful at times. Having different abilities like being able to take note in class, view PDF files that teachers put up, a method of listening to music when I'm out, a to-do list, an alarm clock, and other things like that. it helps keep your things in your life organized in one general area, rather than having them scattered among different pieces of technology. Can't really see myself using it for games, though. I honestly find that pretty pointless.

Computer wise, I'm also doing well. I'm not at my computer at the moment, so I can't exactly give out the specs, but I'll probably edit this post a bit later on when I can. It's a good computer, though and it's able to run games very well. Even with new ones, I'm able to run them at a very nice and smooth frame rate that I'm perfectly happy with, which is great for me, because I remember using a computer that was pretty much obsolete for games a couple of years ago. So much lag. Everywhere.

TV wise..I just have a TV. I don't have any HD or satellite and over 500 channels or anything like that. It's just a regular, standard definition TV on a stand with about 70 channels or so, but that's fine, because I don't really watch TV anyways, so I guess I really just don't see a point in trying to upgrade this one that much rather than just having it where I need it.

With games, my most recent console purchase was the Xbox 360, and that was back in 2010. Before that, I had the Wii, which I picked up back in 2007, I believe, so that one stuck with me for a little while. Behind that were things like the DS, Gamecube, and PS2, which I honestly rarely use anymore (Except for the DS, been playing some Layton lately)

But yeah, all in all, I'd say I'm keeping up fairly well and at a pace that suits my needs, which is the way it should be done, in my opinion. Why get more when there's no use to it?

My grips with technology varies wildly with the kind of device in question.

Consoles; Last home console I bought was a PS3 in 2008 (a phat one), so that's mostly up-to-date. For the longest time, the last portable I bought was a PSP way back in 2006, but since my original DS broke to the point of almost being in two pieces (but STILL working, mind), I bought myself a DS Lite to replace. Still not very up-to-date on that yet, but I'm pretty certain I will have a 3DS by the year's end.

Computers; Our house doesn't have a single desktop computer anymore. However, my laptop is up to date as of October 2011, so it can still be considered a shiny, new thing.

DVD Player/Blu-Ray Player; I personally don't own one, but the DVD player in our house must be at least eight years old. WE don't have a dedicated Blu-Ray player, period.

Phone; My phone is a Samsung and part of the E series (...), but that's about all I know about it. It isn't modern, but it's got enough utilities to be usable (Idon't phone or text very often, though).

MP3 Player; It's a Tevion MP3 player of some sort (the code on the player is MP4200UKT...but it doesn't have a screen at all so it can't be that. XP). Decent thing, this. The audio quality is good, it's got enough storage for all my music, and the way the keys are built means that the buttons are much safer from wear and tear (before this, the most common cause of making an MP3 player unusable was that one or more critical button just completely broke). I can remember the position of the songs on the MP3 player down to the specific tune I want to hear, so not having menu of any kind on the MP3 player itself is no issue.

TV; 15" SD. Mogen. Enough said.

You're thinking of Sandy Bridge. Ivy Bridge is the 3XXX series and is supposed to be as big a gamechanger as Sandy Bridge was before it.

My technology varies.

Video games: I'm not a gamer, so I don't go out to buy consoles. The newest one I have is a Wii from 2010; I don't have any of the other next-gen consoles.

Tablet: Mom bought herself a Nook for Christmas, but hasn't used it so much. Oddly, I've been the one using it, mostly to play app games like Bejeweled 2, Unblock it, and Angry Birds.

MP3 player: An iPod Classic. I don't know which generation, but it works really well. I'm not all that keen about getting the current oversimplistic Nano.

Computer: A 27-inch iMac with a 3.4 GHz Intel Core processor, 8 Gigabytes of memory, and a one-TB harddrive. For a long time, I had a 2004 iMac with a Power PC processor, but as the technogy became more advanced, my iMac became much slower, so I got a new one back in the summer. As for the OS, it's Snow Leopard, and currently, I have no plans to upgrade to Lion.

Telephone: I don't know the current model name, but it's a Samsung cellphone. It's got a videocamera and a camera, but doesn't have the ability to text or go online. Suffice it say, I'm all for it. I never understood what made texting such a key thing, and I've been absolutely turned off by the idea of it.

T.V.: Panasonic LCD HD TV. For the longest time, I owned a Quasar and Sony SD TV (the Quasar in my room, Sony TV in the living room; Mom had an HD TV already), and they were absolotely impossible to carry. During the summer, we got rid of all our SD TVs and replaced them with HD TVs. They're much lighter, can process HD technology much better, and don't carry that much heat and dust.

Video players: In my room, I have a VCR. Mom's room has a DVD player-recorder, and in the living room is a Sony DVD/VHS player-recorder. However, my VCR is broken, and I haven't replaced it yet. Each time I play a DVD in my room, it's in my iMac.

My computer network has an approximately 14 year old Targa personal computer which originally came with Windows Millenium Edition. It has 128 MB RAM x2 and up to 30 gigs of HDD. Currently, running an evaluation copy of Windows Server 2003, it mainly serves as the central file share area, basic network services and a back-up router. A month ago, I was given an old PC that someone was otherwise gonna throw away, the one I am typing on right now, so I installed an evaluation copy of Windows 7 on it. Around the same time, I was given a 17" flat monitor that was otherwise going to be trashed. The first time I am using a flat screen with a computer. My, oh my, it is huge!

As long as you are patient, it is unbelievable what you can do with old stuff like this. However I do have quite the new equipment, too. I feel spoiled when mentioning that I have bought myself an Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo DS and a Nintendo 3DS. Before these, I owned a Super Nintendo and a Playstation, so although I missed a few consoles, I still have a lot of 'em. I bought myself a new laptop last year which really works for gaming and stuff, mhmmm! The same year I bought myself a new phone (Samsung Galaxy S), since my old phone just broke, so I needed a new phone, and why not try the new technology? I used to never buy the new stuffs, though. Never felt the need to always have the newest thing on the market, not that I could afford it. I can still envy people! =D

I'm up to date with technology, as in I'm aware of the happenings in the tech world because its something I feel is important to keep an eye on, as its becoming more and more integrated into our lives. Even if you don't own or need any bleeding edge tech, it would be a good idea to keep tabs on what is happening, just so you at least know what you're dealing with should you develop the urge or need to purchase anything. That way you won't be easily confused by entheusiastic salesmen/women into purchasing something you might not need.

I myself have a midrange 2011 smartphone. Sony Ericsson (one of the last to be branded with Ericsson) Xperia Ray. Its cheap on contract, good number of minutes and texts and internet bandwidth. In terms of the tech inside it, its a 1GHz Single Core ARM Cortex A9 "Scorpion" CPU, with Adreno 205 GPU. 8MP, medium aperture (f/3.2) lens with LED flash. 3.3in 854x480 multitouch display. Runs Android Gingerbread 2.3.4. Its basically technically equivalent to an iPhone 4 (NOT the 4S), just with a better camera and no iOS.

Computer is a 3 year old DELL (faceplam) overpriced garbage laptop which struggles to run Portal at times. the Screen has died (I've hooked up a monitor via VGA cable) and the computer itself feels like it too is slowly dying. Getting an upgrade before I go to Uni. Probably a Mac with a Parallels software to runs Window's side-by-side to OS X. Just waiting for the 2012 Mac/MacBook range.

TV, didn't get an HDTV till 2011, at which point my dad bought two juggernaut 55in LED Samsungs (one for the kitchen ^_^').

Had a Megadrive (don't know where it is), have an N64 (don't know where it is), a PS2, DS lite, Wii and PS3. Very few games due to lack of time to play them.

Midrange family, but I still like to keep abreast with current tech affairs.

Okay I have a non HD TV. An Xbox 360, PS3 and PS2. A Dell Labtop AKA iTunes Slave (Which I am currently using) and a modest PC tower for music and Video games.

I have a cheap dead basic Nokia mobile.

I have a Ipod classic 160GB (nearly full seirously).

I have owned at two latest Macbook Pros, one was on University loan (no only at University), sold the other to my Dad. They are good at what they do but they are too rich for me.

For function not fashion.wink.png

Well, if it costs anywhere near as much as an i7 990x, I'm not getting it either way :U

It's likely to be priced roughly the same amount as the sandy bridge stuff, probably a bit more. They're looking to replace the line, not have a higher end one on top of the Sandy stuff.

Also, I'd recommend the 2500k over the 2600k. Save money!

Well, I think I have been lagging behind tech-wise, but not really. I do feel like I don't need to though becuase what I do have is still functional and pretty damn good looking. As much as I would love an iPhone 4S and stuff, I can do just about everything I need to do (which has been a lot of emailing, texting, and Skyping as of recently) on my good ol' 3GS, which I am purely glad hasn't broke yet. As of right now the only reason I would try to get one at the moment is because of the good camera and design of the phone. The most advanced thing I probably have right now is either my family's iPad 2 or my PS3. I really do think that being up-do-date isn't all that necessary unless there is a really big difference, in which I haven't really seen much in tech, aside from the tablet game finally stepping up to the plate in competing with laptops and netbooks, which have proven pretty darn stiff (especially with the Toshiba Thrive out, which is most like a netbook tablet compared everything else in the market today.)