Awoo.

Sony PSP E1000

Stritix

This has been out for a few months, but it has only been put up for sale in my local stores recently. :) This is basically a downgraded version of the PSP 1000. Wifi has been removed, battery is stuck and cannot be replaced, many slots/buttons/outputs are missing, the screen is weaker, and it's made out of matte-black instead of the old glossy finish.

It's being sold for £90 at GAME and Gamestation (+1 free game). It's only available in the UK.

PSP_E1000.png

I'm considering purchasing this, seeing as they don't sell the PSP 3000 new in-stores anymore. I'm just worried that the build quality may be too cheap/weak.

Thoughts? :)

I'm considering purchasing this, seeing as they don't sell the PSP 3000 new in-stores anymore.

Since when?

And my thoughts are that it is a piece of garbage that, considering used PSP 3000s exist, no one should ever consider buying.

Edited by Gilda
  • Thumbs Up 7

I forgot to mention that there's also only one speaker, and it's mono.

Since when?

I have looked everywhere, and they only sell pre-owned 3000 models. I can't buy things online, and I can't stand pre-owned items, plus I don't have enough money to buy the NGP, so this is my only option.

Woah! I thought stores were still selling PSP 3000's. I haven't looked for a few months now, though. I've just looked online at Argos, Currys and ASDA, who all offer in store collection, and I can only find the E-1000.

They don't sell new PSP 3000's anymore

Whoa, what?

*checks online*

Wow, you're right, you can't get one online. But instore...?

Something tells me they will have some in stock brand new instore, if they don't ask if they can check other stores and ship them in. I'd also try places like Comet/Curries because they must surely have some still in stock. Don't check the websites, ring them up or go instore and ask.

I can't believe that places like Comet are totally sold out of the PSP, I can understand why they're not showing them on their website (with Vita out soon and the new model PSP) but totally sold out? Can't see that happening.

But I would definately go for a 3000 over the 1000 any day...

.. ... . hang on... Isn't the PSP region free? Can't you just import one?

Edited by Hogfather

This is basically a downgraded version of the PSP 1000. Wifi has been removed, battery is stuck and cannot be replaced, many slots/buttons/outputs are missing.

It's pretty obvious this is Sony's pathetic attempt at trying to stop hacking on the PSP. Everyone who wanted a PSP already has it, and everyone who wanted to hack it already did. Plus, why remove Wifi? What does that do? Stop hacks? Not one bit. How are the 3 people who get this gonna update their PSP firmware?

EDIT: They don't sell PSP 3000's anymore? Didn't that just come out like 2 years ago? Was it not selling well?

Edited by Mike Dawson

If you want a Sony handheld you're better off saving your cash for a PS Vita! smile.png

Edited by BW199148
  • Thumbs Up 2

To be fair, a lot of the features removed are rarely even used.

Wifi? You wish, only a fraction of PSP games support it. IIRC, you can use media center to download content from your PC->PSP so it shouldn't be a problem.

Battery is stuck? Not that big of a deal, it isn't like you would replace it anyways and the tight compartment is always a plus.

What buttons are missing?

Bad speakers? I use headphones/earbuds as the PSP's sounds aren't the best. (PSP 3000)

Hey, it seems like the PSP E-1000 is on progressive scan now. The 3000's scanline effect is no longer there.

http://www.eurogamer...sp-e1000-review

If you're only going to buy a couple games, I don't see why you want to spend more money on a PSP-3000. (Not sure what the price difference is, but the E-1000 looks INCREDIBLY cheap in comparison) This is especially apparent since you can just get the E-1000 to play your UMD exclusive games and wait until the PSVita comes out for whatever other PSP games you download.

Edited by Autosaver

I find it impossible to take a review that rails on about the Interlacing issue that much seriously.

That is what? Less than 10% of the review?

I linked it because it gave out a bunch of information detailing the E-1000 model. The info about this model is pretty scarce.

That is what? Less than 10% of the review?

Screen quality is something of an issue for us, bearing in mind how badly the PSP-3000 performed in this regard.

The wider colour gamut of the 3000 is gone, but thankfully so are the interlacing issues.

while the PSP-3000 proved to be a backward step in many ways over its Slim and Lite predecessor owing to its borked interlaced LCD.

And since that is horseshit, I question the integrity of the entire review.

Edited by Gilda
  • Thumbs Up 1

Maybe the reviewer just had a ton of games that had problems with the PSP 3000 screen? It is a widespread problem and people have complained about it before. The scan lines/ghosting being gone was probably a big plus for whatever reason.

Again, you can just ignore that segment. Focus on the comparisons, details on what is missing, the advantages/disadvantages of the unit, etc.

To my knowledge, relatively speaking the PSP sold horrifically poorly in the UK.

...or more accurately...

It sold passably until Sony were foolish enough to make the PSP Go and discontinue the original PSP model. Not only did no-one buy it, retail stores marketed it clearly as "Sony are no longer going to make physical copies of PSP games and you'll have to buy them online" to which the consumer response was "fuck off". No matter how much Sony desperately tried to backpedal on the matter, this killed the PSP off completely in the UK and it's difficult to find stock for any PSP stuff whatsoever. It's been that way for a few years now.

Vita's going to have a tough time of it over here, methinks.

• Thumbs Up 3

If you want a Sony handheld you're better off saving your cash for a PS Vita! smile.png

Doesn't BC PSP games. and if you want to play PSP games you have to re-pay for your digital copy which can end up being $5-20 (Depending on which game your digitally downloading).

Ick, i'd rather have a used PSP3000 then this thing. reminds me of the Wii-, stripped down of all of its good parts and just being sold as a core unit.

Edited by goku262002

When this was revealed I couldn't decide whether this was more retarded than the Wii Family Edition.

But now I'm gonna give credit when credit is due to the Wii Family Edition-the GC removal is somewhat justified (most current consumers most likely won't use the console for it's GC support) and the old Wii model is still available.

Doesn't BC PSP games. and if you want to play PSP games you have to re-pay for your digital copy which can end up being $5-20 (Depending on which game your digitally downloading).

Ick, i'd rather have a used PSP3000 then this thing. reminds me of the Wii-, stripped down of all of its good parts and just being sold as a core unit.

Yeah thats if you owned a PSP beforehead which I can understand why people are pissed, but if you don't own a PSP now, why bother?unsure.png

Edited by BW199148

I own one of the first PSPs, but I was thinking of getting this. Mine is broken and only works when plugged in. I don't feel like giving out all too much money for a more expensive one. I don actually need Wifi for what I want to do..

Also, the matte black is nicer than the glossy one.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't like buying used consoles, so I managed to get one of these. All that's really missing is multiplayer capabilities. This is the PSP I would get if you like playing games by yourself. If you like multiplayer games, get a PSP GO or PSP Slim and Lite.

I have no issues with the display at all. The games are cheap and the console has a matte finish, which is frustratingly rare in modern consoles. I think it's a sensible time to get one.

That's out of many people's budgets.

Edited by Para
  • Thumbs Up 1