Awoo.

[COMMUNITY PROJECT | BOARD GAME] Sonic Monopoly

Barry the Nomad

Looking pretty awesome. =D

While it might be tricky to get it good quality, could I make a small suggestion of using a picture OF Prison Island for the Prison Island space? Somehow a bit less depressing than Gerald's mugshot. Either from the cut-scene just before it explodes, or perhaps a high quality screenshot of some Prison Island scenery from ShTH?

Just a random personal opinion suggestion.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looking pretty awesome. =D

While it might be tricky to get it good quality, could I make a small suggestion of using a picture OF Prison Island for the Prison Island space? Somehow a bit less depressing than Gerald's mugshot. Either from the cut-scene just before it explodes, or perhaps a high quality screenshot of some Prison Island scenery from ShTH?

Just a random personal opinion suggestion.

Thanks, and thanks for the suggestion! What I was going for was somebody that mirrors the original sad faced Monopoly in jail dude. Seeing as Gerald was a prisoner of Prison Island, I think he's perfect for the image. Depressing, yes, but perfect.

Edited by Barry the Nomad

Browsing google which has a 50/50 chance of being a complete waste of time...

It you haven't already found one, would this Egg Dragoon pic I happen to have come across, be of any use?

eggdragoon.jpg

Cool start, I could provide you with a high res logo once I finish it up. Ideally, I'd think the box would be of a consistant quality in the CG renders, as you've done, and would include an insane amount of characters (badniks included) and perhaps multiple locations in the background as Monopoly is all about the properties.

Simpsons Monopoly is a good example:

600full-the-simpsons-monopoly-cover.jpg

Cool start, I could provide you with a high res logo once I finish it up. Ideally, I'd think the box would be of a consistant quality in the CG renders, as you've done, and would include an insane amount of characters (badniks included) and perhaps multiple locations in the background as Monopoly is all about the properties.

Simpsons Monopoly is a good example:

600full-the-simpsons-monopoly-cover.jpg

Yeah, I can try to do something along the lines of that. Also, should I use 2D or the CG artwork?

CG I think, there is more of it and it's in a higher resolution than the 2D art. I always mine Retro and Sonic Art Archive for my renders as they're usually background-free PNGs.

LOL!

Wow, this is going to be interesting!

But I'd still want to finish ours though, unless they slap a cease order... which I very much doubt they will do.

....Barry... this would now be the third time the two of us have talked about something only for it to come out/be announced a few days/weeks later.

Edited by Hogfather

HA! That's pretty cool/creepy!

Hogfather is right. We called the History book, and now this! Amazing.

I really hope that the official version doesn't go the Nintendo Monopoly route and make the characters properties.

Still, I'm going to totally finish this before the official one hits. cool.png

Edit: in fact, the official one will be very beneficial, as now I really just need to make the board and property cards. Chance and community chest too. The money and tokens could be borrowed from the official Sonic game.

Thanks, and thanks for the suggestion! What I was going for was somebody that mirrors the original sad faced Monopoly in jail dude. Seeing as Gerald was a prisoner of Prison Island, I think he's perfect for the image. Depressing, yes, but perfect.

Oh! Duh! Of course, that makes perfect sense. I'd say it might be worth making some of your own bars to put over the top, I'd have totally got that then. =D (You should have the GUN Commander for GO TO JAIL in that case if that wasn't your plan already XD).

Gun Commander pointing with a whistle in his mouth would be perfect, but best I have is his render from Shadow the Hedgehog. That, or I'll use the GUN shield.

Regarding the title "Sonic Monopoly", given that a real one is in the works, perhaps I should change the game's name to "Sonic Hogopoly"? Not a homage to Hogfather, but a nod to "HedgeHOG".

Also, I'm thinking of making the property colors correspond to the Chaos Emeralds and the Master Emerald. Perhaps I'll give the color box on the board a bit of an emerald shine?

This is just a very very rough idea as to what pieces might work.

monopieces-1.jpg

Some work better than others, also some would probably need someone to design them with a 3D perspective so we can see if they would work.

The motobug... because it's awesome... although I was struggling to decide if a Buzzbomber would be better.

Amy's hammer would probably look better if I could actually find a better ingame picture or render of it, that was copied from an ASR screenshot.

I know Omachao is a character, but he's small and odd enough to just fit in, also as he's partly mechanical it goes with the static nature of the pieces.

The star post seems quite appropriate, I was considering using a sonic CD PAST signpost. I think the starpost would look great on the board anyway, just the image of using that piece and landing on various zones just seems right.

I picked the SpeedStar because it was the closest thing to a car I could find that people would recognise (apart from the old Sonic 1 promo images). However I also think that a car does work, there are also the mini ASR figures that you can look at to get an idea as to how good they'd be as playing pieces.

The spring bumper... This is my least favourite of the lot. Whilst thats the Sonic CD one, I doubt it would make much difference if I picked a different game, just doesn't look quite right, even in 3D it would just look like a tyre. I think this should be changed.

---Suggestion: Swap it for Froggy.

The shoe is the Sonic Generations promotional keyring, it's probably the cloest thing we'll get to an actual playing piece.

Tornado... because it seemed to be a popular choice and would probably look good as a small metal thing.

The bouncy barrel doen't look great in the image, but it would work if someone designed one with a 3D perspective.

Other suggestions from my status updates that I really liked and thought would work...

UFO things from Sonic CD. (I did actually look into this, but I wasn't sure 2 'flying' pieces would be a good idea)

sunflower, (did look into this, just couldn't find a good enough pic)

purple rock. (wasn't sure if this would look good as a small metal object)

Green hill totem poll (love this idea)

Alternative idea.

One of the suggestions was from redhellc who said... "Amy's hammer, Big's fishing rod, knuckles's shovel claw"

This actually made me think, what if we picked objects/items that are associated with characters? It wouldn't be playing 'as a character' specifically, but it would link to them and still be within the universe of the game.

Edited by Hogfather

I think a Sonic Adventure era spring would be better than the bumper, and has a more interesting shape to it, while containing both the iconic appearence of a classic bumper while being an equally intergral staple of the Sonic games.

Suggestions for character pieces...

Sonic's Shoe

Tails' Tornado

Knuckles' Master Emerald (might seem a bit too fancy compared to the rest though?)

Amy's Hammer

Shadow's umm... Chaos Emerald?

Rouge's Push Up Bra

This is actually harder than I thought past the main four guys. I think you should stick with the non-character stuff.

EDIT: Also.

Gun Commander pointing with a whistle in his mouth would be perfect, but best I have is his render from Shadow the Hedgehog. That, or I'll use the GUN shield.

Edited by JezMM

It'd actually be SO cool to have it so - completely pointlessly, just for fun - if you own all properties of a colour, you get a little 3D Chaos Emerald token to hold onto. Obviously wouldn't be as fun in home-made board game print-out land but that's what imagination is for. 8D

That looks really cool, only thing I would possibly change, swap the positions of Crisis City Sandpolis, I know it means two desert levesl together... but I think with the images there, Sandpolis looks significantly different enough to stand out better. Might want to think about doing the same with Carnival Night and Twinkle park

• Thumbs Up 1

They should call you Swapfather!

I agree though, I gave it a go and it does look a bit more varied.

I've discovered that ripping HD youtube videos of games and screen capping images has been the best way to make the little property images. In the Twinkle Park one I just photoshopped Sonic out of the center. I did leave the blue jell-o badnik though. And the E-102 in the Pyramid Cave image. Consider that an Easter Egg.

I like it, but I think the S rank and the E rank should be swapped as if you're working your way the it. Even how it is now, it's great :D

That looks amazing. I say we work on game pieces next, as those should be relatively easy so we can get those out of the way quickly. Also, I'm guessing the S Rank and C Rank cards are chance?

Thanks!

Yeah, I started with all S's, but then realized I could have other letters in the rank spaces like the different item monitors. I guess one could argue that the ranks lower as you progress as the stages become more difficult. E next to Eggmanland is pretty fitting, lol

That looks amazing. I say we work on game pieces next, as those should be relatively easy so we can get those out of the way quickly. Also, I'm guessing the S Rank and C Rank cards are chance?

Holy fudge!? You got that done alot faster then I was expection. The blue blur would be proud. I'm somewhat speechless here, so I'll just say, awesome job! Looking forward to more. ^-^

• Thumbs Up 1

Regarding houses and hotels:

While players will be expected to supply their own houses/hotels from existing boards, it would be fun to have Sonicy terms for them. Question is, are the players acting as Eggman, placing animal capsules and factories? Or are they just putting down real estate? I'd think "animal capsules" and "factories" replacing houses and hotels would be fun.