Awoo.

[COMMUNITY PROJECT | BOARD GAME] Sonic Monopoly

Barry the Nomad

Regarding houses and hotels:

While players will be expected to supply their own houses/hotels from existing boards, it would be fun to have Sonicy terms for them. Question is, are the players acting as Eggman, placing animal capsules and factories? Or are they just putting down real estate? I'd think "animal capsules" and "factories" replacing houses and hotels would be fun.

So the game would be:" How to build your eggman empire"smile.png

I like it.

Yeah, I mean it wouldn't be very hero-like to build property and charge people Money. Sonic is basically a homeless drifter, all he owns is an airplane, two shoes, a pair of socks and gloves. So it would make most sense for players to build their own Eggman empire.

Chance/Community Chest cards could reflect Sonic "taking down" your empire when you pay money.

Replace Crisis City with Dusty dunes and Final Egg with tropical resort. Also, we need that first boss from Sonic 2 as the car piece, and the airplane to be one of the airships from Egg Fleet. Idk.

Replace Crisis City with Dusty dunes and Final Egg with tropical resort. Also, we need that first boss from Sonic 2 as the car piece, and the airplane to be one of the airships from Egg Fleet. Idk.

Dusty Dunes is a cancelled stage, I doubt many people who are even Sonic fans would know what that stage is.

Tropical resort really wouldn't go there, it's the first zone in Sonic colours and doesn't fit either the difficulty of the other stages on the board, not to mention the look of the stage wouldn't fit in with whats there either.

Perhaps he meant Dusty Desert, but I think Crisis City fits well enough. This really is a stunning board Barry. The only nitpick I have is that some of the text isn't quite aligned to the centre in certain spaces, like Seaside Hill's is a little to the left and Cool Edge's to the right. These are tiny things though and you're likely still tweaking it. Seriously looking good! It must have been hard to choose the levels. I'd have probably gone out of mind making those decisions. XD

Perhaps he meant Dusty Desert, but I think Crisis City fits well enough. This really is a stunning board Barry. The only nitpick I have is that some of the text isn't quite aligned to the centre in certain spaces, like Seaside Hill's is a little to the left and Cool Edge's to the right. These are tiny things though and you're likely still tweaking it. Seriously looking good! It must have been hard to choose the levels. I'd have probably gone out of mind making those decisions. XD

• 2 months later...

Just a couple of suggestions for you...

While players will be expected to supply their own houses/hotels from existing boards, it would be fun to have Sonicy terms for them. Question is, are the players acting as Eggman, placing animal capsules and factories? Or are they just putting down real estate? I'd think "animal capsules" and "factories" replacing houses and hotels would be fun

I think that having animal capsules and stuff would turn it into a "robotnik-oply", and devate too far from the subject matter. Isn't this is supposted to be SONIC monoply?

I think the best "Sonic-y" way to go about it, would be to replace houses and hotels with Signposts and Goal rings, or something like that. Then, when the player buys a stage, it's like they're clearing an act.

Also, about the counters, why not use sprites? I think they'd look alright printed out onto cardboard, seeing as they're practically already 2-dimensional...

• 2 months later...

Just an update, this isn't dead. I'm just waiting to see what the official board will have. If official money and pieces work with this version then it's less work on my end. Basically treating this as an extension or alternate to the retail version. At most, I'd just need to make property cards.