Awoo.

Xbox 720 / NeXtBox / Durango / Infinity

Red Cap

I will be sincerely joyful if they go through with this idiotic policy. It'll be a fight to the death between Sony and Nintendo just like the PS1 and N64 days (because let's be real here, the Saturn was a joke and might as well have not existed), meaning buying a PS4 and Wii U will have me completely covered for the generation and we can go back to having two giants battle for dominance again.

Awesome.

• Thumbs Up 5

Oh well...I was interested on buying the console, since I love my 360. But if this is true then I would be shooting myself on the foot(lame internet connection).

Still I think I will wait for the official announcement of the console, maybe it surprises my for the best. One thing is sure Microsoft, if you are going the always online route, at least give an option to play online multiplayer for free.

CY8A2UP.jpg

Also, Arthur who works for Polygon.com had this to say on Twitter...

PFIfkaE.jpg

EDIT: I'm tired! Misread what he said... 

Edited by Ming Ming Shana

Also, Arthur who works for Polygon.com had this to say on Twitter...

PFIfkaE.jpg

Arthur Gies is a hack. I'd not listen to anything he says. Ever.

I'm pretty tired on this insistence that "it's just rumor guys". If anything you'll have a bigger blast serving crow if it turns out to be fake. I don't think anyone puts it passed them to actually implement that kind of feature considering recent events and at the very least we have the ability to lower our expectations tremendously going from a console that's been looking like an even worse deal during this ending generation.

• Thumbs Up 5

VqoBBg0.png

Translation.

"please don't fire me"

And now Kotaku have news'd it. Oh the fun friday is going to bring. "It's friday friday gettin' down on friday"

What a twat. This is why twitter should come with a health warning so that stupid people in important places know the dangers of spouting shit off for "shits and giggles".sleep.png

Personally I am still taking this as a "always online" rumour with a pinch of salt until hear from the horses mouth then I will flip my shit if it is true. If Microsoft have any brains which I assume they have some (at least more than EA) then they know making their system "always online" would be a disastrous move if it has bad as what we have seen so far. Not only would alienate consumers  but it might alienate publishers and developers as well who don't like having that system forced upon them.

To me this sounds like Sony/Nintendo fanboys wet dream that is why I being cautious not to jump on the "Microsoft is Evil" bandwagon.

This why I am not getting a next-gen system any time soon, too much fanboyism and rumours. I rather wait until the dust settles before I make a decision.

As much as you'd think it'd be a fanboys wet dream for Sony/Nintendo fans, it'd be horrible for pretty much everyone and would cause a huge negative impact on the industry that it may not recover from anytime quickly.

I think most people who care about the matter are worried, more than anything. In the worst-case scenario, mocking or berating Microsoft's ideas may be the only way to avert them from making a dangerous move.

I genuinely hope this doesn't happen.

Well that's the second-to-last nail in the coffin, time to see if they will hammer in the final one (no secondhand games)!

"Durango" could have new games from Xbox's biggest IPs (Halo, Gears of War, Fable, Dance Central, and Kinect) available on the console's launch day and I'm confident that nobody but the Xbox faithful (in the West) will (initially) buy it if both are true (and even fewer than that if the system is heavily reliant on or requires use of Kinect in any shape or form!).

Also think back to the last time the consoles were coming out. Remember how sony had all those rumors about second hand games? They were amazingly quick to debunk that rumor. I think if this wasn't true, Microsoft would have debunked it, theres no way they can't be aware just how unpopular it is?

Oh and the Microsoft creative director... yeah he's become a meme.

3tpl21.jpg3tpofs.jpg

There are tons more of these....

And someone made this....

*image*

Until the new Xbox is out officially, nothings confirmed. just like with the PS4 and Wii-U rumors before it.

And if I remember correctly, is it not true that nobody at SONY hasn't made it clear on where they stand when it comes to the used/second hand games for the PS4? its still all yes or no at this point the last time I checked in.

Good. glad hes a meme, like I said it comes back to bite you if you mouth off and say stupid things on the net especially someone of his ranking.

Edited by goku262002

Man I hope all of this is either not true or revised (the always-online feature) after Microsoft finds out about all the backlash. I'm not going to believe anything until Microsoft reveals it but all this is still making me really worried...........

Edited by Generations (Chaos Warp)

Until the new Xbox is out officially, nothings confirmed. just like with the PS4 and Wii-U rumors before it.

And if I remember correctly, is it not true that nobody at SONY hasn't made it clear on where they stand when it comes to the used/second hand games for the PS4? its still all yes or no at this point the last time I checked in.

Good. glad hes a meme, like I said it comes back to bite you if you mouth off and say stupid things on the net especially someone of his ranking.

The whole gaming media seems to a negative euphoria at the moment that is why I am not taking too seriously its just a tactic to pull in site views.sleep.png

"Wii U is the last console for Nintendo", "Sony PS4 blocks used games" and " New Xbox has always on-line", "Video Game Market will crash again" . Its like the Game media loves playing to our fears.

Anyway other than this moron Orth and Dev Kit leak their hasn't been anything substantial to confirm if the next Xbox is "Allways Online" and blocks "Used Games".

EDIT: Is it me or is this topic got a lot obvious console biased opinions? Seriously go look at the last page for a sec or any console thread for that matter....

Edited by BW199148

Oh for fucks' fuck.

Now it's either "You have to pay us for all your downloads again and we're not backwards-compatible" or "you filthy peasants without constant reliable internet connection don't deserve to play video games"

That Wii U is sounding better by the minute.

• Thumbs Up 1

When EA didn't turn up in the PlayStation Meeting, you just know something is odd. Especially when EA and Sony's relationship were/used to be tight. EA is the only top 3rd party publisher that didn't turn up. Really that was enough to tell me Durango's always online. This PR disaster is an icing on the cake.

I know Xbox fans will defend this and say "wait 'til it's confirmed" or "deal with it", but every Durango rumor that has posted ALWAYS point to the 'always online' crap.

When EA didn't turn up in the PlayStation Meeting, you just know something is odd. Especially when EA and Sony's relationship were/used to be tight. EA is the only top 3rd party publisher that didn't turn up. Really that was enough to tell me Durango's always online. This PR disaster is an icing on the cake.

I know Xbox fans will defend this and say "wait 'til it's confirmed" or "deal with it", but every Durango rumor that has posted ALWAYS point to the 'always online' crap.

I think a lot of Xbox owners/fans aren't saying deal with it. I just say it is wise to wait until its confirmed by Microsoft due all of the negative bullshit the media have been saying about all the systems lately. Of Course it would help if Microsoft explained some shit and doesn't help idiots like Orth stirring the pot.sleep.png

EA might have done a deal with Microsoft. Doesn't mean EA has give Sony the finger and just because they didn't turn up at the Sony Conference doesn't mean they don't care about Sony. Their Logo was even shown as a confirmed publisher supporting the PS4. Knowing EA they might of got a good deal from Microsoft but doesn't they would risk the loss of sales on the Playstation. The Deal was probably exclusive first dibs on DLC like Ubisoft did with Sony for Assassin's Creed III.

I own PlayStation and a Xbox and getting a 3DS at the end of the month. When I was a teenager I used to be really into Sony because it was my first console was the Playstation. But by the time of the PS3 it was so expensive for quite a while so I got a Xbox 360 instead it took a long time before I was able to afford a PS3. These days I don't really have a allegiance any more. 

Really hope the always online thing isn't true and I really wish Microsoft would hurry up and announce the damn thing already.

• Thumbs Up 4

It gets worse....

A reddit user who claims to work at Fox used to work with Adam Orth... here is what he had to say on the guy....

WgVHms8.jpg

Aaron Greenberg who is the Chief of Staff for Interactive Entertainment at Microsoft had this to say on the matter.

6fEIStsl6kp7TqCK4btzWBuYZBB7X.jpg

A recap of the events so far...

• NeoGAF user Shinobi screen caps the tweets of Adam Orth, Creative Director at MSFT Studios.
  • These tweets contain the fallacious analogies you see in the OP -- in defense of an always-online console box.
  • In conjunction with the Kotaku thread about the always-online rumors, this thread blows up.
  • The story is picked up by popular gaming sites including CVG, Verge, Kotaku, and others.
  • David Jaffe attempts to defend the character of Adam (they were former coworkers) -- but particularly his comments regarding rural towns in the US and their online infrastructure.
  • Adam attempts to excuse the tweets as jokes and locks his twitter account.
  • Detective-GAF then finds an alleged dev on a separate forum claiming one should keep up with their ISP bills (implying some truth to the rumor).
  • Detective-GAF then confirms that alleged dev to be an actual developer working on next-gen games.
  • The story continues to blow up on reddit, reaching the front page with thousands of comments.
  • A user in the reddit thread claims Adam is an ass in person and he insists on being called 'sweet billy.'
  • Detective-GAF then confirms Adam is in fact, sweet billy, here on GAF. And his tweets confirm he is, in fact, an ass.
  • Aaron Greenberg claims to be unaware of the existence of Adam Orth. [insert Sweet Billy joke]

Neogafs epically long topic on the subject.

So yeah... what exactly more do we need before we all realise that the always online console is pretty much confirmed? We usually need less before we have a 60 page topic on a potential Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is all just a interent mess. its going from social media > NeoGAF > news sites > reddit > (loop).

Fuck this, its impossible to keep track and who to really believe.

• Thumbs Up 3

This is all just a interent mess. its going from social media > NeoGAF > news sites > reddit > (loop).

Oh yeah sure it is.

We've had un-named sources saying it's online only (for months).

We've now had the creative directors comments last night about it being online only. And people are now starting to point out that this is technically Microsoft policy since he's a higher up who works for them and they're saying nothing of the sort against it.

We've now had a named dev from a studio working on next gen games say it's online only.

Now we have microsoft workers denying they know who this guy is.

And still nothing from Microsoft denying what this guy said was accurate. If this wasn't the case they would flat out deny it. We've constantly joked about 'The Sega Dictionary' if they say 'No' then it means no. If they say 'yes' it means 'yes.' And if they say 'we do not comment on rumor' or 'no comment' it usually means yes.

Every other studio/developer is the same.