Awoo.

Xbox 720 / NeXtBox / Durango / Infinity

Red Cap

An official statement from Microsoft after Adam's comments on Twitter has been released by Major Nelson.

We apologize for the inappropriate comments made by an employee on Twitter yesterday. This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views do not reflect the customer centric approach we take to our products or how we would communicate directly with our loyal consumers.  We are very sorry if this offended anyone, however we have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter.

The fact that the spokesman still didn't deny the always-online rumor, makes this more and more true (although personally I think it has been confirmed since Feb).

Source: http://majornelson.com/2013/04/05/official-statement-on-what-was-said-yesterday/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MajorNelson+%28Major+Nelson+%28Xbox%29%29

Microsoft should be watching the internet carefully to gauge peoples' reactions to these 'rumors', otherwise they're sure to fall foul of the Curse of the Third Console.

All the absolute negative feedback this idea has gotten should seriously be enough for someone at Microsoft to question the sheer ridiculousness of it? If their marketing is any good at all, they should know that anyone who isn't ignorant about the console's features (i.e. the demographic it seems) thinks it's a horrible idea.

It's like they want to be hated?

Today's shenanigans were a result of Twitter and Microsoft's continued silence on a contentious issue. They are rumors which could have been easily killed dead without revealing a single thing about the Next Xbox. Why MS have decided to stay mute on the subject is a mystery... unless they're all true.

All the absolute negative feedback this idea has gotten should seriously be enough for someone at Microsoft to question the sheer ridiculousness of it? If their marketing is any good at all, they should know that anyone who isn't ignorant about the console's features (i.e. the demographic it seems) thinks it's a horrible idea.

It's like they want to be hated?

But don't you get it? They can't question it because it's most likely true. Not ONE developer, not ONE employee of Microsoft has yet to deny (or imply) the always-online rumor.

But don't you get it? They can't question it because it's most likely true. Not ONE developer, not ONE employee of Microsoft has yet to deny (or imply) the always-online rumor.

When I say question, I mean someone at Microsoft turns around and says

"hold on a minute, maybe this isn't actually a good idea at all"

Because if they don't, and if they haven't noticed how bad an idea people think it is and how many people are writing off the console completely based on a rumoured feature, maybe they're fucking idiots who don't want the thing to sell.

Or they could use this chance to change it and actually have a chance at not having the dumbest idea for a console the industry has ever seen.

Edited by SuperLink

When I say question, I mean someone at Microsoft turns around and says

"hold on a minute, maybe this isn't actually a good idea at all"

Because if they don't, and if they haven't noticed how bad an idea people think it is and how many people are writing off the console completely based on a rumoured feature, maybe they're fucking idiots who don't want the thing to sell.

Or they could use this chance to change it and actually have a chance at not having the dumbest idea for a console the industry has ever seen.

...this is Microsoft. These are the people who made YouTube, a free service go behind a paywall for their console. 

All they care about is money. Offline consoles will not make them much money as the ones online. They want all consoles to be online.

• Thumbs Up 7

...this is Microsoft. These are the people who made YouTube, a free service go behind a paywall for their console. 

All they care about is money. Offline consoles will not make them much money as the ones online. They want all consoles to be online.

You may be depressingly right. If they genuinely want to take this big a risk for the sake of money, then I hope they crash and burn for it.

Because wow.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 6

This guy says hi.

Virtual+Boy.jpg

That out of the way, I'm willing to bet that even if the NextBox launches with an always-online requirement, it will get removed after  everyone inevitably complains or, more likely, the system doesn't sell because of it. Though to be honest, I doubt I'll personally care either way as I was never even all that interested in the 360.

Edited by Speederino

I've probably mentioned this before, but the idea of "Always Online" and "Pay to access online features on XBL" combined into one console is kind of...........yeah...........

• Thumbs Up 3

Xbox Live is a joke (you have to pay for Gold just to access the YouTube app...? The fuck?), this is ridiculous, Kinect is allegedly going to be pushed even more... Microsoft should be ashamed.

I never cared for Xbox before, but for fuck's sake, guys. Microsoft is acting as illogical, out-of-touch, and downright stupid as Mid 90's SEGA.

• Thumbs Up 2

I never cared for Xbox before, but for fuck's sake, guys. Microsoft is acting as illogical, out-of-touch, and downright stupid as Mid 90's SEGA.

Not rad enough though.

Edited by Tmsp

There's also the matter of exclusives on the Next Box. I think the only exclusives Microsoft currently has are Gears of War, Halo and all the Kinect games (and most of those aren't that good anyway!). Compare that to Sony and Nintendo's large library of exclusives! This console will surely flop.

Edited by Gabz Girl

I wouldn't say it's going to flop per say. The actual gaming community wouldn't take it seriously though.

• Thumbs Up 1

I dunno, there's nothing appealing about an always online console, even to the general crowd. I dont think this will turn out well for Microsoft...

Ugh..when are they going to show it? Surely they aren't waiting until E3!

There's also the matter of exclusives on the Next Box. I think the only exclusives Microsoft currently has are Gears of War, Halo and all the Kinect games (and most of those aren't that good anyway!). Compare that to Sony and Nintendo's large library of exclusives! This console will surely flop.

Let's not forget places where they could have decent amount of fans but are stupid about it, Romania's the first place I can think of for that because of a very good friend that I know that's there (it was like for for awhile...a very long time). Japan still aren't exactly fond of the Xbox 360 right?

Edited by Jetronic

I wouldn't be surprised if they totally ignore the subject at the reveal and the truth comes out closer to launch or through interviews.

Gabz: The reveal was going to be this month sometime, but it was pushed back a month into May. Chances are there'll only be 2-3 weeks between the reveal and E3. It's going to be a hype and hyperbole-filled spring.

• Thumbs Up 2

iZ4Xc7uzxvJUA.gif

I need to replace my laugh box.

You're like a page late, Hogfather already posted that gif.....saying that....the gif can be posted a million times since it's that funny.

Edited by Jaime Bond

If it does turn out to be always online, I do think the PS4 and Wii U have the opportunity to win big.

• Thumbs Up 4

On the subject of exclusives, I'm sure it'll have some. Microsoft prolly will have some paid exclusives or timed exclusives to tease that will give the system very strong launch hype that they'll hope will carry on its momentum for a while. Maybe even names that will tide over those who don't like the "always online" idea through hype alone.

And speaking of hype (and I think that this is important)

The nextbox currently has more industry buzz than the PS4 because of all these nasty rumours and the fact that it's still a total mystery. You know what they say, the more the merrier any publicity is good publicity. The NextBox is a hot topic among gamers because they can't believe this always online stuff, they have our attention already and it's not even close to being revealed yet.

Whether or not you intend to be hyped, you're hyped. All eyes are on them.

>tfw this is all part of the plan

Edited by SuperLink

Microsoft may not have that many exclusives but they do receive numerous exclusive Arcade games (they also own Twisted Pixel...love those guys). Sure Sony also have amazing Arcade games like Journey for example, but they are not as plentiful as what Microsoft have.

I will be sad if the NextBox is always-online. I would lose all my achievements, not have an avatar and miss out on tons of Arcade games. It will be better in the long run to move to Sony though if this is the case.

Edited by KrazyBean

From what I've heard about the NextBox, sounds like Sony may have the upper hand this gaming generation. 

Microsoft may not have that many exclusives but they do receive numerous exclusive Arcade games (they also own Twisted Pixel...love those guys). Sure Sony also have amazing Arcade games like Journey for example, but they are not as plentiful as what Microsoft have.

That's something they gained through the great head-start they had on the idea of XBLA, it gained ground in the market long before PSN or Wii's digital services really found their feet, offered lots of features, etc.

However in the last couple years, the terrible way Microsoft treat indies is becoming more and more apparent. Indies can't update their games even if they want to without making paid dlc, because MS' patch limit for XBLA games is so tiny. Many indie devs like Jonathon Blow and the creators have Skullgirls have expressed working with Microsoft as being generally a huge pain and aren't planning on doing it again.

So if MS wants to keep that gained ground, they're going to need to revolutionise their dated XBLA system to the same standards as Sony, Valve and Nintendo's enticing systems. Which yeah they may well do for the NextBox, but given how anal it sounds like they'll be with stuff like forcing their players to use kinect, never go offline, etc, I don't really have a good feeling about them giving indie devs freedom when they could just grip the vice around their necks tighter.

Edited by SuperLink